facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 15, 2005, 11:30 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Enamul Jr is making me feel like an \'Asian\'

Bishon Singh Bedi (please don't mind my spelling)
Venkatragabhan
Ravi Shastri
Abdul Quadir
Erapolli Prosonna
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Saqlain Mushtaq
Mushtaq Ahmed
Muttiah Muralitharan
Danish Kaneria

They are players from various countries, different times, and yet they have some similarities - they're all SPINNERS.

But most of all, they are the pride of Asia. Before the rise of the 2 Ws - Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, they (the spinners of Asia) are the main difference from the rest of the world.

Enamul Haque Junior's achievements make me feel like I belong in that group - Bangladesh belong in that elite group.

It is outside the Asian sub-continent where spinners let us dream to win matches especially because we are by nature short in the pace department - whether short in physical strength, stamina - whatever you call it - we have always been weaker in the pace department.

And now we see Enamul Junior - one of our own making a name for himself - not only in those turning low bouncy wickets where Enamul is very much used to playing, but also in Zimbabwe - where spinners don't find such helpful tracks as that of back home.

P.S. please correct me if I'm wrong in naming some of them, or add a few names that you remember
Old February 15, 2005, 11:42 AM
Street Cricketer

Default please keep it context!!!

Please keep your addulations in context. Haque Jnr performed VERY well against incredibly mediocre oppositon. I'm sure most of them have never played against any half-decent spin bolwers, let alone someone like Haque jnr in sub-continental conditions. That list you have, is full of proven spinners against all test playing nations. So, before you alleviate Haque Jnr to that stratosphere of spin, remember what he has yet to achieve rather than what he has achieved!!
Old February 15, 2005, 11:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Chandra is missing!!

Raju is better spinner than Ravi Shastri!
Old February 15, 2005, 11:54 AM
Club Cricketer

Enamul may not have bowled against quality opposition but he does have all the attributes to become great one day. All he needs is more opportunity.

Fwullah, I would also add Rafique to the fold, he is already being called the best left arm spinner in the world by many exparts and not only Bangladeshi ones.

About Fast bowling, I remember something Imran Khan said years ago. It is not always the physique, yes you do need great shoulder strength but more than anything else it is mental. You have let go of all your inhibitions and just let it fly. There've been great fast bowlers of average size--Malcolm Marshall. Also, young men of 6'+ height is not uncommon in Bangladesh these days. Muscle and shoulder strngth can be developed if we start at an early age. I believe Bangladesh will produce genuine fast bowlers in few years. I am extremely hopeful of the results from the rect Pacer Hunt.
Old February 15, 2005, 11:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

fwullah, you ar eright in sayin he is MAKING, us feel part of that elte group, but we are not there, many people in that group have taken wickets against a much stronger battin line up, e.g the english, aussies, s. africans., he needs to prove himself against these oppostion then we can start to consider him belonigin to that group.
Old February 15, 2005, 12:29 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: sreesanth

After the England Series there won't be any debate about Enamul's permanent spot on that list. good luck to kido. Enamul- Joyer MUL
Old February 15, 2005, 12:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

Enamul Jr. is giving us the HOPE that we badly needed for a Bangladeshi Spinner and that's all fwullah is talking about.

So far, his stat is looking awesome and he is getting better in every game.

As many of you stated, I agree that the future will tell us how he ranks among the greatest spinners.

So far, Enamul Jr. has given me that optimism

Enamul Jr sends Zimbabwe A spinning - I just luv this headline
Old February 15, 2005, 12:56 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
P.S. please correct me if I'm wrong in naming some of them, or add a few names that you remember
Isn't Mohammad Rafiq a capable pride for any side??
I think u missed him!:duh:
Old February 15, 2005, 12:58 PM
Test Cricketer

Too much too early.

Blah

Edited on, February 16, 2005, 4:48 AM GMT, by Blah.
Reason: "Blah" added upon complain
Old February 15, 2005, 01:44 PM
Test Cricketer

This is our old problem. Somebody has a bit of success and we dance around the person as if he/she has conquered the world!

Let us not put anymore pressure than is necessary on this 19yr old youngster. I am not even sure whether just he should have been made the captain of the A team. He should concentrate on his bowling and be the best he could be. In the mean time, let him (and us) have the fun he deserves.
Old February 15, 2005, 03:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
[i]
About Fast bowling, I remember something Imran Khan said years ago. It is not always the physique, yes you do need great shoulder strength but more than anything else it is mental. You have let go of all your inhibitions and just let it fly. There've been great fast bowlers of average size--Malcolm Marshall. Also, young men of 6'+ height is not uncommon in Bangladesh these days. Muscle and shoulder strngth can be developed if we start at an early age. I believe Bangladesh will produce genuine fast bowlers in few years. I am extremely hopeful of the results from the rect Pacer Hunt.
i think one needs to fix up his runup and delivery actions at an early age and work on the delivery action and practice hard to build up pace. But after a certain stage you will notice that you need physical strength to be really quick. But I guess practice comes first and then strength can be built up when someone is about 18-19. But it is always practice first and then the strength, not the other way round. So someone just with strength and height cant be a fast bowler all on a sudden. He has to be built up from early age.

Bd is going to have lot of good pacers in future, ,but i am not sure they can be as quick as lee or shoaib, because that sort of pace requires huge stamina, which bangladeshis usually dont have.
Old February 15, 2005, 03:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
Enamul Jr is making me feel like an 'Asian'
What does that mean?
Old February 15, 2005, 03:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

We need some cricket action otherwise post like this will keep on appearing on this site.

Patience is something that we don't seem to have enough. Enmul haven't yet played 10 test but already he is being compared with great spinners of Asia. Most of the guys in the list played more test and longer period and with their skills and cosistencey they became great. As for Enamul he has great potential and that is only 50%. As far as accomplishment goes he has only done it against Zim and Zim A team. We can not take it to rest of the world and claim him as part of one of the eilte in above list.
Let's stay on the ground and let our players build themselves; flying high in the sky without wings will only going to cost us greatly. When the time is right Enamul is going to get his due respect, but until then encourage him, do not mislead him.
Old February 15, 2005, 07:24 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally posted by Blah
Too much too early.
blah
where is your usual "blah" part at the end of your post? i'd to add it in the quote.
Old February 15, 2005, 08:00 PM
ODI Cricketer

Rafique must be accountable before Enamul Hoque Jnr.
How can Rafique be left....I dont understand.
Enamul has to proof himself against Eng, Aus, SA and most importantly against India, Pak and Sri Lanka (as they better play against spin).
English tour in the next tour can clarify this doubt.
Old February 15, 2005, 08:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Too much too early.
You're not wrong but we can dream, right?
Old February 15, 2005, 08:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Yes you can dream. Everyone can dream. The other day I had a dream that I was flying, but in reality I was just lying on my couch.

The original poster of this thread was comparing (directly and indirectly), enam with the likes of one of the greatest spin bowlers of the world.

The reality is, that he performed very well against a team, which in it's best day would hardly get any chance in Australia's domestic league.

Thus, we are dreaming too much too early.

Maybe one day he will do very good, but for now let's hold on to our horses, and not get carried away.

Blah
Old February 15, 2005, 09:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Default I agree

Don't get me wrong, I am very hopeful about Enamul. He is good, no doubt about it, and may even become great one day. But a whole bunch of wickets against Zimbabwe and Zimbabwe A doesn't make him a great spinner. He has a long way to go, lot of cricket to play and a lot of improving to do. This kid has a future, lets just wait and see how it develops.

As for your list, the blaring omission is Chandrashekhar!
Old February 15, 2005, 11:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
Quote:
Too much too early.
blah
where is your usual "blah" part at the end of your post? i'd to add it in the quote.
I forget it once and than.
Old February 16, 2005, 05:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Rafiq,Wasim,Lee,Inzy

Enamul-THE BEST.
Old February 16, 2005, 10:03 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Enmul haven't yet played 10 test but already he is being compared with great spinners of Asia.
Forgive me for mentioning the names of the great spinners when posted the first post in this thread.

No comparison is intended.

I know very well that Enamul Junior is a Bangladeshi and that he will have all the weaknesses of a Bangladeshi cricketer until otherwise proven on the field against quality opponents - for example, playing against India is a criteria that all spinners must have, before being named as a 'great' spinner as Indians are generally good at playing spin.

In the past, we have failed in all the ICC tournaments (ICC trophy tournaments - from 1979 upto 1994) to be the champions because of our inability to have good fast bowlers and also playing against good fast bowling. But spin was always our strength at that level.

Now for the first time, we have a spinner who is not only proving his worth in the sub-continent, but also, outside of it - and that, in a level just above the ICC Associate Nation's level - in a test playing country - Zimbabwe.
Old February 17, 2005, 12:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

Rafiq vai koi???... aar D.Kaneriya aslo kotha theke?....