facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 20, 2005, 10:45 AM
Street Cricketer

Default The secret to consistent success

Australia

Openers: Hayden- Langer

Middle Order: Ricky Ponting-Martyn-Lehman-Clarke

Wicketkeeper: Adam Gilchrist

Bowlers: Warne-Gillespe-Glenn-Kaspro

India

Openers: Gambhir-Sehwag

Middle Order: Dravid-Sachin-Laxman-Ganguly

Wicketkeeper: Parthiv

Bowlers: Pathan-Kumble-Harbhajan-Zaheer

England

Openers: Marcus- Strauss

Middle Order: Bucther-Vaughan-Thorpe-Flintoff

Wicketkeeper: Jones

Bowlers: Giles-Hoggard-Simon-Harmisson

The above three teams have the shown lineup for their matches when they have no injuries bothering them. These are their lineups against any team in any conditions. Although current rankings would show that these are not the top 3 teams (at least not India) but unofficial rankings would easily figure such a statistic (India may be third between the three). The reason pretty simple. They have the most settle teams over a long period of time. Not only in my opinion but also a few experts (Gavasker, Botham, Raza and a few more) the secret to a nation’s success is consistency. Consistency not only in performance but also the composition of a team. Now to our team. It is probably the most settled team we had during our stint as a test playing nation. Lets have a look.

Bangladesh

Openers: Nafis-Javed

Middle Order: Bashar-Ashraful-Rajin-Aftab

Wicketkeeper: Mashud

Bowlers: Rafique-Mashrafee-Tapash-Enamul

When look at the Aussies, I would say that there aren’t any weak points in that team. Two stroke-making openers with both having the ability to not only dominate the bowling but also dig in when required. Nothing wrong with the middle order. A bowling attack where every one is a wicket-taking bowler. The Indians, again superb batting line up, great bowling attack but the weak point, wicketkeeper. England also has a great batting lineup, superb bowling attack. Their only small weakness Giles. But he also is starting to come of age.

Now when I look at Bangladesh I can spot two weaknesses. No one may agree with this. But the two weaknesses are Javed Omar and Tapash Baisya.
Both are efficient triers and both play their heart out when they play for the nation. However Javed Omar (keeping in mind he has scored 2 fifties in the NCL already) is just not good enough to be kept as an opener who could deliver consistently. His role in the team is to bat as long as possible or in other words try an anchor the innings. But how many times has he done that? In my opinion he is a lot like Afridi in an opposite role. Afridi’s role in the team is to blast the opposition’s bowling attack whereas Javed Omar’s role is to tire the opposition’s bowling attack out. Afridi is mostly successful in doing it once in 7-8 matches and so is Javed Omar. At least Afridi does guarantee runs when he gets going but Javed Omar doesn’t. He really is a liability and should be axed. But the problem is if not Javed Omar then who? If you look back at the Aussie and Indian line up then you will notice that one of the batsman in the opening pair is not a genuine opener. Langer for Australia was a number three batsman who took over the opening slot from Slater due to Slater’s lack of form. Sehwag was never an opener. Infact he was a number six for his club team. Both opening pairs have been successful. Now look at our option and straight away the name that comes to my mind is Rajin Saleh. He has already opened in ODIs and has been pretty successful. Also he has the making of test opener. Technically sound, superb temperament (he is a stroke player) and above it all he has shown that he can last for long hours on that batting crease consistently. The problem such a move may create is that there will be a gap in that middle order. Now the question arises how to fill that gap. Again it will be tough for people to agree with me but the person may be an in-form Alok Kapali. If we just go two years and remember the form Alok Kapali was in before and during the World Cup we may even remember the sort of talent and class he showed as a batsman. If we put that Alok Kapali into this lineup then certainly that gap can be filled in. for that I believe he needs to be given more chances. May seem foolish, but I can only remember him playing only one odi during the tours of India and Zimbabwe. Yes he also has not done well in the NCL (unlike Javed) but just by including him with a bunch of confident and high in moral players might just change his fortune. After all form is temporary but class is permanent. So now lets just have a look at our batting lineup without Javed and with Kapali (baring in mind that the Kapali being shown will have the form that he had duing the 2002-03 season).

Openers: Nafis-Saleh

Middle Order: Habibul-Ashraful-Kapali-Aftab

Bowlers: Rafique-Mashrafee-Tapash-Enamul

Now the other weakness. Tapash Baisya. First of all why is he a weakness? To answer this I have to first look at his strengths. Number one bowls his heart out. Number two, superb in certain spells. Number three, has a great slower ball together with unpredictable pace and bounce. His weakness. Is not able to bowl long penetrating spells. Also he is often the reason why Bangladesh let of the pressure they create or for that matter he himself create with the three or four overs he bowls prior to the bad over. He also is not all that threatening with the old bowl although he has a superb slower ball. He, in my opinion is a perfect one day bowler. I am afraid not that good in test matches. But the problem is who can replace him. The only option at the moment is Nazmul. But in my opinion Tapash is a better bowler than Nazmul at least he has got more pace. However there are a few options developing. One obvious option is Rajib. They way he is going in six to eight months time I believe we can see him in action. There are two other options, which at this moment in time one seems very raw and the other very much unknown to me. The raw one is Talha Jubair. I say raw because I have seen him bowl. Although he was not bowling at 90 miles an hour but he did indicate that he can. He has two main problems. One is his body which breaks down every now and the other is his control. He is very erratic. He has got a great bowling action as his major asset which will allow him to not only bowl fast but with good control and thus I say that if he is worked on he may turn into a very dangerous bowler. The unworn one for me is Shafaq Al Zabir. The only thing I know about him is that he is tall and some one who is said to be prospect. Very recently there is another bowler who has hit the seen. And that is Wascooroni. The only two things I know of him is that he s a find of the GP pacer hunt and that he has already taken a 5 wicket haul. From what I can make out is that Talha, Zabir and Ahmed may take some time to develop into an international fast bowler but Rajib seems ready to knock at the door of international cricket in 6 to 8 months time. Till then Tapash is probably the best support bowler to our champion pacer Mashrafee.

However for the sake of consistency I would prefer that no changes are made to the team that played against Zimbabwe. At least for the England test matches. Talking of the England tour, I feel it is probably the most important series Bangladesh will play up until now. This is because the team has only been going forward over the last few months and good performance in England may just make the world sit-up and take notice. Bowling combination is obviously a major debate as conditions there may just require us to have an extra seamer instead of two spinners. However the question is do we have a third seamer who can really pick up wickets for us. Horses for courses is one say but when we don’t have an extra winning horse then why include one. I would have had no problem with a third seamer 6 months ago when we only had one macthwinning spinner but now with matchwinning spinner I am not ready to sacrifice one for a pacer who will not show any certainty in picking up wickets. Although I don’t the number of sides games Bangladesh will play but I would definitely include Rajib and Kapali in the team just to let them play a few side games and let them have a feel of the confidence and moral of the team. However I would not play Rajib into a test match even if Mashrafee gets injured let alone Tapash. The following is the sort of team I would want to Bangladesh field in a year’s time and one which I believe if persisted with will do well. Again the Alok Kapali here is the Kapali we had seen during the 2002-3 season.

Bangladesh

Openers: Nafis-Saleh

Middle Order: Bashar-Ashraful-Kapali-Aftab

Bowlers: Rafique-Mashrafee-Enamul-Rajib

The following is my squad for the England tour:

Habibul Bashar, Rajin Saleh, Mohammed Ashraful, Nafis Iqbal, Javed Omar, Aftab Ahmed, Khaled Mashud, Mohammed Rafique, Mashrafee Bin Mortaza, Tapash Baisya, Enamul Haq jnr, Alok Kapali, Shahadat Hussain Rajib, Manjurul Islam Rana and Nazmul Hussain.
Old February 20, 2005, 12:05 PM
Test Cricketer

the_wall. Good analysis.

But i think your England bound team is one pace bowler short and also accomodates one too many spinner.

Strong chances are we'll go to England with 5 pacer and 2 spinner.
Enam Jr. will swap place with Manjarul Rana for one dayers.

I agree with you regarding Talha's lack of improvemet over the years. He always had pace but with no control. And after few years since his debut he remained where he started. Pity. Let us see how 'Big Shaq' performs in Zimbabwe and NCL. otherwise Talha will be in the team as back up.

Possible selection for tests:
Mashrafee Mortaza
Tapash Baisya
Shahadat Hussain
Nazmul Hussain
Talha Jubair/ Shafaq Al Zabir.

Oh. Alok Kapali will not be going to England. Period.
Old February 20, 2005, 12:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Its nice to see a long and well-reasoned post. Well done the_wall. Not everyone will agree with all your points but keep them coming! We need more of these.

A couple of points about what you said. I think you have correctly identified our two weaknesses in the Test side. I would say that Javed is probably the more serious weakness, especially given that we are going to England next. However, I am always wary of promoting middle order batsmen and turning them into openers. I think you may be right about Rajin having the attributes of a good opener. Yet, I would only consider such a move if we can't find a genuine opener from somewhere else. Otherwise, I'd rather have someone who is a natural opener.

As for Kapali, I would also like to see an in-form Kapali in our middle order because most of us who have seen him play know what a class act he can be. However, I think one of the motivations behind your promotion for Rajin was to fit Kapali into the middle order. I may be wrong of course, but I would resist such a move, even if Kapali gets his form back. I think our middle order looks quite set at the moment. If we can now find a solid opener to partner Nafees, that is our biggest hole plugged! If Kapali finds his form back, he will just have to compete with the guys in the middle order to get in. That will be quite healthy and keep Rajin and Aftab on their toes. And even Kapali apart, there are several other players in the A and age group teams who are going to provide a lot of competition for the batting positions.

Moving on to Tapash, I think Tapash is much less of a weakness. But I do agree, he lacks sustained potency. I am looking forward to Rajib and Shafaq making a mark in the A tours and pushing their way into the Test team. Atleast Rajib should be in contention pretty soon. Talha is also a prospect, but he needs to become more consistent. I would definitely take five pacers to England. I hope atleast a couple of the current A team guys do enough to warrant a call into the squad.

As I have said before, I won't do any team picking till the A tour, Duleep Trophy and the NCL are all done with. But for the Test squad, I would ideally take 7 batsmen, keeper, 5 seamers and 2 spinners. The keeper and spinners are easy picks, we'll just have to wait and see who the best candidates are for the batting and pace bowling spots.
Old February 20, 2005, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

I agree with the_wall and sham. Javed is a weak link in BD test squad. But since he has been scoring consistantly in NCL league(two 50s so far), I think his place as an opener is sealed for the England tour. We also dont have more choice left to see any young bloke for the opening slot who can cope with the english condition as they all are less experienced compared to Javed.

About a bastman like Rajin, I would rather always prefer him to play in the middle order than as an opener in test. We need middle order batsmen with solid technique and the ability to build up a long innings and Rajin is a perfect fit for that. As for Alok, only way for his coming back to squad for England tour is if he performs more than good through out the Duleep trophy tournie. Otherwise ciao papa.

Meanwhile, Rajib is doing excellent with his sheer pace in Zimbabwe. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be called in this time. Considering the english condition we must bring 5 pacers to England, as sham has mentioned it rightly. Thus my probable 14 man squad for the England tour is as follows:

Nafees Iqbal
Javed Omar
Habibul Bashar
Rajin Saleh
Mohammad Ashraful
Aftab Ahmed
Khaled Mashud
Mohammad Rafique
Enamul Haque Jr.
Mashrafee Mortaza
Shahadat Rajib
Nazmul Hussain
Tapash Baisya
Shafaq Al Zabir

Edited on, February 20, 2005, 11:32 PM GMT, by Navarene.
Old February 20, 2005, 01:46 PM
Street Cricketer

i do not agree with when it comes to selecting players from the current A team simply becausethey are all too young and inexperienced. we have all seen how long it has taken for ashraful to mature and we have also seen the results of other players who have been forced into the national team. these guys in the A team are very very young. specially the batsmen. and why do we need 5 seamers for just two tests. if we play rafique and enam then we have only got slots for just 2 seamers. and that being mashrafee and tapash. yes i would take Rajib but not let him play a test match even if mashrafee gets injured let alone tapash simply because richard has not given the green signal. i would take him a let him play the side games. give him a feel of what is it playing in the national team. Nazmul is my fourth seamer in the squad and he is my reaplcement bowler. i dont seee a reason for a fifth seamer coming into the team. four is more than enough. i am sry if i sound rude but you cant just have five seamers in your team just because you are going to play in seaming conditions. they have to be good enough to pick wickets. enam and rafique can pick wickets in any conditions thats y they will be in the team. Be honest to ur self. we have got developing seamers not developed seamers. seamers who if polished can pick fifers regularly but if thrown into the deep end of sea will sink.
Old February 20, 2005, 02:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

I agreed with the_wall.
But playing test with 2 pacers is a mistake in English condition.....i should say.
I would take 4 bowlers + wicket keeper + 5 batsmen + 1 allrounder.
Rafique is enough to be in the allrounder position whose test average is better than some of our batsmen.
Old February 20, 2005, 02:35 PM
Street Cricketer

Y???????? i am veryyyyyyyy sry for being rude. but it seems as if u guys wanna play the game on paper rather than on the feild. little master bangladesh batting line is not as good as the auusie one. we will need 6 genuine batters. rafique and enam. and we DO NOT HAVE A WICKET TAKING THIRD SEAMER. THEN Y A THIRD SEAMER. and we have aftab who can bowl a few seam up.
Old February 20, 2005, 02:41 PM
BC Editorial Team

Let's all hold onto our horses until say, end of March. These discussions will be coming into focus at that point. Good effort the_wall, though I find myself disagreeing with some of your points. But, practicing what I preach, I'll bide my tongue on this topic until the A-team, the Duleep team come home and NL completed.

Some thoughts on the NL - Hannan seems to be coming back in some form (and this is a guy, when in form, scored consecutive 50s against Australia in their backyard). England doesn't have any left-arm pacers in the horizon. I wonder ...
Old February 21, 2005, 12:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Calm down the_wall

You have presented your arguments quite well but its time to let the others present theirs. No need to get all worked up about it. Neither you nor I nor anyone else on this board will be picking the side that goes to England, so its important to remember that all these discussions are purely academic!

As for the three seamers theory, I totally agree with it. Going into a Test match in England with just two seems mindless to me. And that is taking into account the conditions, not playing cricket on paper. Also, how do you know Enam will take wickets in any conditions and against any opposition? He had a woeful tour of England last year. In one year, has he really improved all that much? Lets not forget, his heroics have come against the weakest batting line-up in the world! He may become a great bowler in the future, but I think it is a bit premature to think that he is going to take wickets in any condition and against any opposition. There is really no evidence to suggest that yet!
Old February 21, 2005, 02:15 AM
Cricket Legend

"The secret to consistent success".....first I thought it's a name of some book or so!!!!!!
Old February 21, 2005, 02:19 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by babubangla
"The secret to consistent success".....first I thought it's a name of some book or so!!!!!!
asholeo - pure Dale Carnegie - ferry ghatey bechto... LOL
Old February 21, 2005, 09:08 AM
Banned

there is no secret to consistent success.
hard work+ skills= success
(hard work+ skills+motivation)> professionalism =consistent success

what we have got? and what we haven't got?
Old February 21, 2005, 11:46 PM
Cricket Legend

I think considering kapali even for selection is weired. When was the last time he performed for any team let alone national team? A generation ago.