facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 6, 2003, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default No more Gordon

According to Prothom Alo, the deal between BCB and Gordon greenidge didnt go though. Apperently, what he was asking for was too much for BCB to meet.

Too bad.
Old February 6, 2003, 10:20 PM
Banned

Ok, i know I'm going to get hit for this, but anyway...

II went to the Prothom-alo article, and it just brought back memories from '98/'99, all of Gordon's.

He had bad manners
His wife was money grubbing..no not from him, but the BCB..she had to be the physical therapist.
Did our batting really improve....

I might be wrong, but I really can't find too many positives of him..never could.
And heck..just for the FUN of it...did we bat better in Namibia, or in SA ?

Also, I think many (not most, mind you) of the emotions expressed here for or against him, were more of our expressions of love/hate towards one of the 2 big political parties.

I know, I streched that a little too much..but anyway, I've said worse things in my life.

Old February 6, 2003, 10:42 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree. Greenidge was a good coach, we won the ICC Trophy under him, but he was nothing amazing.

And think about it, obviously he was going to do this for money, or that was a big factor in his decision to come back. I was thinking all this time, after the way we got rid of him, its wierd that he wants to come back. Pretty graceful. But now that I think about it, he had a great life in Dhaka. Got tons of money from BCB, house in Gulshan, the works. I think he wanted that life back. Obviously we must have offered him atleast as much as we are paying Mohsin Kamal or Trevor Chappel, and more than we paid him last time around. And he wasn't happy with that. BCB has quite a lot of money, and Lobi flying to Bangkok proves that we wanted him pretty bad. If he asked for more than we could afford, that doesn't say much for Greenidge. If he was going to come for the money, I think we are better off without him.
Old February 6, 2003, 10:45 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

It could all change depending on what Bangladesh does in this world cup and the actions of coach Mohsin Kamal behind that.

Sort of like, the world cup is an acid test for coach Mohsin Kamal.
Old February 6, 2003, 10:50 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা
Default Memories

I agree with Pundit on some of this. First off, I supported Gordon for a long time and yes, I was dissapointed in THE WAY we parted with him. Reading PA today, all the momeries came back from those days and yes, it wasn't all rosy. Gordon did wonders for our cricket but he was his own man and had his own ways.

The whole thing with them meeting in Thailand or wherever is just too much drama for anyone to handle. What the heck were they thinking ?

Also, didn't think of the political issue that much but if that was an issue - I can only feel sorry for folks who are sadly in bed with any of the big parties in Bangladesh. Did read that our PMs son was in the group that met Gordon over there. Makes the whole BCB useless, doesn't it ?
Old February 7, 2003, 12:02 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Here is the bad side of not having Gordon. Since him, we havent had any decent coach.

We badly need a coach like him or better.
Old February 7, 2003, 12:06 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

I think Gordon would be good for nothing coach. He obviously has attitude problem. I am glad that the deal didn't go through. I don't see anything negative with Mohsin Kamal's choaching. Just remember that he found out Kapali for us
Old February 7, 2003, 12:49 AM
Club Cricketer

Also think about the results when BD
visited Scotland with Gordon as coach. Also the results of Commonwealth games in Malayasia.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:07 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Gordon

I do not have any inside information on Gordon's attitude problems and so, I do not really know how bad the chemistry was between Gordon and the players.

However, I will say this:

I think that under Gordon, the standard of cricket in Bangladesh improved to an altogether different level. We essentially went from the days where we were cheering "quarter centuries" by Azhar Hussain Shanto and the like against the Hyderabad Deccan Blues to an environment where we began to expect some of out batsmen to score 50+ in international matches. On the other hand, since Gordon's departure, I think any improvement has been incremental rather than a movement to a whole different level.

I think that we now need someone with the vision to move the Bangladesh team to the next level. Someone who will stop saying such things as "we have nothing to lose" or "we will be happy if we can put up a good fight against the test teams". We need someone with the vision to start thinking about winning...not just winning that odd match, but winning on a consistent basis. I do not know if Gordon is the man who can do that, but I do know that he oversaw the last regime change in Bangladeshi cricket. Based on that, he would be my best pick for someone who can produce the next regime change.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Barlow

I totally disagree with you Raj bhai. I think Barlow was a very good coach. Lets not forget one thing, a BD coach, in addition to being the national team coach also usually carries the portfolio of being in charge of cricket development in the country. Not only did Barlow have the respect of the players, and many, including Khaled Masud Pilot have said that Barlow had a big impact on him, but was a forward thinking coach as well. Unfortunately, his stint was too short, due to his stroke, and it would be unfair to dismiss him as a coach because we didn't do anything spectular under him.
However, the fact that we have a pretty good age level system now with foreign coaches in charge is largely due to Barlow.

As for Mohsin Kamal, he does have a lot of critics on this board. However, lets not forget that despite some debacles (SL tour, Chittagong Test agaisnt WI), we have also had some positives under Kamal. These includes a couple of scores over 200 in SA (PAK and SL struggled to do that), 2nd Test against WI, finding Kapali and the development of a bowling attack which at last looks like we can give the Test teams a run for their money.
Old February 7, 2003, 12:41 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা
Default Kapali

kapali was picked up by ALI ZIA, not Mohsin Kamal.
Barlow was the most respected coach.
Gordon taught them descipline.

In defense of Mohsin Kamal, he seems like a nice guy and does well with the players but don't think he has what it takes to coach a national team like ours. Our players need more then a coach. They need someone who won't mind teaching them the basics as well as some descipline plus the other crucial aspects .... Don't have no problem with Mohsin but we need someone like woolmer, someone with experience, someone with vision.
Old February 7, 2003, 01:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Default I don\'t have the time to elaborate...

so I'm going to put it bluntly:

MOHSIN KAMAL OUT!!!

No more unprofessional Subcontinentals to run our cricket!
Old February 7, 2003, 01:48 PM
Banned

Our culture unfortunately is not very oriented towards the professional lifestyle modern cricketers need to pursue.

Domestic cricket has always been limited to a stroll to the stadium, and then back home for evening tea/time with family. Cricketers who want to pursue a test career better take this into consideration. While players who are in the late 20s need to be prepared to lead life away form kids/wife etc, the youngsters will have to miss Nanees winter pitha and stuff. This is probably what Gordon's main contribution was...he (while not at all tacitly) pointed these out to the Akram's/Nannu at a time when BD was about to cross the threshold and enter a new level.

Right now we are at the level, the highest level possible. There is no other level to go to. They will have to strive for incremental gains so that they can justify there presence at this level. Therefore, a coach in my opinion has to focus entirely on team tactics and quality infusion.

If he were visionary - like Barlow, that would be a plus. But you need a vision only once, not every few years. And as far as I know, Barlow had already provided that vision, and under Saber's time, it was well captured in documentation.

All we have to do now is implement that vision - and that is entirely left up to the current and future administrators.

Its just that, in a realistic sense, we cannot afford to pay a coach oogles of additional Taka just because he also has vision in his portfolio.

WANTED: Cricket coach(S) who realizes current international technique requirements, is able to teach that to the national team players, and provide good game preparation tactics.
Old February 7, 2003, 02:43 PM
First Class Cricketer

Default Actual Terms

Does anyone know the actual terms of the contract and what Gordon wanted more? It's easy for BCB to say to the press that Gordon asked for too many perks and that's why negotiations broke down. But I would really like to hear both sides of the story. I have expressed my approval of Kamal's coaching thus far but I think it would be benificial to have a batting coach for a year or two in addtion to having Kamal as a bowling coach. Gordon also seems a more outspoken than Kamal and would be a credible voice for cricket development in Bangladesh.

[Edited on 8-2-2003 by Ockey]