facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 4, 2005, 01:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot
Default Aftab Ahmed: not ready for longer version

Aftab Ahmed is one of the most talented young stroke player in Bangladesh now. But i doubt that he is whether ready or still experienced enough for longer version of cricket.

In longer version, he has not yet shown consistency.
In first class cricket in 24 innings, he has only 2 fifties and 1 hundred. not food enough statistics for a test cricketer. Not played well in dullep trophy also. He has to show that he has the ability to play long innings. In ODIs, i have no doubt about him at all.

Hope that he will score some big hundreds in the NCL when he will return from india. because we need aftab at his best in England.

Edited on, March 5, 2005, 6:11 PM GMT, by yaseer.
Old March 4, 2005, 02:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Nicely put. I agree on all points. He needs to learn how to stay in the wkt and get runs rather then score runs quickly at all times. He will learn in time. I have no doubt about his talent and stock.
Old March 5, 2005, 11:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

Give him some time,will you?
Old March 5, 2005, 12:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

seems yaseer is not yet ready for longer version of statement
Old March 5, 2005, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

I'm sorry, I like Aftab a lot, but he is not the most talented young stroke player in Bangladesh. The most talented young stroke player in Bangladesh is without a shadow of a doubt Ashraful. Not only that, he is the most talented batsman in the country, young or old, stroke player or not! Unfortunately, he is also the most inconsistent! Its infuriating. We are all having a go at Rokon and Alok after Duleep, but I am most disappointed with Ashraful's performance. He got a couple of starts, but thats all he did in four innings against bowlers who he should have been smashing around the park. God knows how long we are going to have to wait for Ashraful to come of age as a batsman!

As for Aftab, he has what it takes to be a good batsman, even in the longer version. His place in the one-day team looks set for now but I think he should get some more chances in the Test team as well, as a batting all-rounder at number 6. I think he needs a long innings or two to gain in confidence and realize that he has what it takes to score runs against good bowling attacks.
Old March 5, 2005, 01:12 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Lets not try to generalize every batsman in same scale..

By character, batsmen like Bashar/Ashrarul/Aftab are faster scorers... it's their natural way of playing. What they are usually not capable of... is scoring in a slower strike rate, which often causes porblems for them to get adjusted in the slower pace of Test cricket batting.

Aftab has just started.. giv him more time!
Old March 5, 2005, 01:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
I'm sorry, I like Aftab a lot, but he is not the most talented young stroke player in Bangladesh. The most talented young stroke player in Bangladesh is without a shadow of a doubt Ashraful.
I totally agree..............

There was a typing mistake in the topic.........i have edited that.
Old March 5, 2005, 07:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

I think.. AFTAB will play ODI regularly.. and for playing TEST.. he'll have to prove himself.. like some good innings in 1st class cricket...
Old March 5, 2005, 07:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Quote:
Originally posted by cricket_pagla
I think.. AFTAB will play ODI regularly.. and for playing TEST.. he'll have to prove himself.. like some good innings in 1st class cricket...
No many people in Bangladesh have proven good enough to play at Test level...As for Aftab, he just needs time. I am not putting Bd down down as we seem to get a lot of the criticisms. What strikes me the most is that fans who just recently started to watch cricket making bold statement such as we aren't good enough! Man i have had it with these stupid remarks. We are good enough it's just that we probably got the test status too soon but nonetheless we will improve... Just remember it took Newzeland 26 years to win a test series. There's always light at the end of the tunnel.
Old March 5, 2005, 10:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

aftab is a good strike batsman who will do good in test cricket...all he needs is time....he took his time before he started doing well in odi....
Old March 5, 2005, 11:14 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

We don't have any system like the Australians that the younger players will in ODIs for a couple of years, and if they are successful (and in most of the cases Australian youngsters are successful - i.e., not like us) then they are entered into the hard life of Test cricket.

So when a player is in the BD squad, he will be tested in both Tests and ODIs.
Old March 6, 2005, 03:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

some of the comments posted here are very much agreeable, and are well justified. So it is now fair to say that Aftab Ahmed is turning into the Yuvraj Singh of Bangladesh, as his spot in the ODI squad is more or less fixed, and he will gradually grow into a fixture in the Test squad as well, with dazzling innings here and there...?
Old March 6, 2005, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i think aftab needs more time to develop into a test cricketer. i'd keep him in the squad, but not on the best eleven for quite some time, unless he proves himself in the next couple of weeks. he is by no means the ideal number six that we are looking for, however, if he does well with the bat and ball equally, he may turn out to be that as well as a decent medium pacer.
Old March 6, 2005, 09:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

i rather see him play in top of the order as he looked more comfortable there.... i would like to see bashar playing down a little... number four is a position for experienced player... bashar is the ideal player in that position.... aftab suits more in number three than in number six..........
Old March 6, 2005, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

rajin imo is the best guy for the no.4 position...we need someone with a lot of patience in that position (look at steve waugh).
Old March 6, 2005, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

bashar should come at 3 since he goes nuts if he has to face spinners straightaway. ash imo has sealed the number 5 position.
Old March 6, 2005, 11:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Are we talking about Tests or ODIs? If we are talking about Tests, then Ashraful should definitely bat no lower than 4. You don't want your best batsman any lower. He should come out to bat with 2 wickets down, not three. Bashar I guess is going to be at 3, so its Rajin and Aftab at 5 and 6.

As for Steve Waugh, he batted at 5 or 6 for most of his career, not at four. Four is for batsmen like Tendulkar, Lara, Vaughan, Kallis etc. In other words, the best batsman in the team. Someone like Rajin is best suited for 5, because thats where you need patience, especially if the top order fails. Number six is the worry for Bangladesh right now in both forms of the game. In ODIs, I think Tushar should get a recall. As for Test matches, I'd stick with Ashraful for now. If his batting doesn't improve, we can think of replacing him.
Old March 6, 2005, 11:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
Number six is the worry for Bangladesh right now in both forms of the game. In ODIs, I think Tushar should get a recall. As for Test matches, I'd stick with Ashraful for now. If his batting doesn't improve, we can think of replacing him.
You meant Aftab...right?
Old March 6, 2005, 11:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Right!
Old March 7, 2005, 12:37 AM
Retired BC Admin

Since there are regular inconsistancies in forms, we'll see periodic changes, well-justified or not, in the lineups. We still do not have the luxery of stamping a batsman to a position for good

In the ODIs, Aftab seems to find some rythm at one down while Rajin at the top and Bashar at the tail of middle order. I'd prefer to stick with such formulas until it no longer pays off.

In the test version, however, I'd prefer less shuffle but would still prefer Bashar to play some spins with the older ball. His reflexes are not getting any better as he ages. He would be happy to have that extra fraction time the wearing ball typically offers.

In fact, good coaches never forget about the weakening refexes over time and advice the aging batsmen accordingly.
Old March 7, 2005, 01:04 AM
Test Cricketer

Aftab's got the good. I say put him in.....he may make mistakes but he'll learn quickly. And we'll never know unless he's there.
Old March 7, 2005, 07:36 AM
Club Cricketer

he just needs to settle down a bit and put a price tag on his wicket. He has all the shots in the books and that at times brings his downfall trying to be over agressive even before getting set in the wicket. Coach should play a big role counceling him
Old March 7, 2005, 07:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

As far as I'm concerned....Aftab fits into our test side perfectly...And he will be more than handy for The England series.....I expect him not only to do well with the bat but also do wonders with his little seamers in seaming English conditions....
Old March 7, 2005, 08:17 AM
Street Cricketer

Well as long as Aftab continues his form he will be the
most aggressive batsman in Bangladesh. However, it seems highly unlikely that he will continue his form.
His scores for the BCB team in INDIA was poor. If he had made a century then he would have proved himself worthy for the test team.
Old March 7, 2005, 09:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinner
... If he had made a century then he would have proved himself worthy for the test team.
Does not it sound silly!
Do you think everybody can score centuries everyday?
If I take your words, what about Ashraf? He even could not score a fifty. So Ashraf is not fit for BD test team

Somebody mentioned that the pitches in Duleep Trophy were flat, where as in the interview Ashraf told that the pitches were green. Which statement is correct?

Aftab is going to be class player and serve BD test team for a long time, insha'Allah. Whatever he is now, is better that many of experienced ones.