facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 9, 2005, 02:09 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal
Default (England )do not fear them

i live in england and see the players play week in week out and i assure u taht they are over rated. In the oneday game england have only 3 good players. Peitersen flintoff and treshocthick they have a week bowling attack in one dayers and bangladesh if they build an innings should be getting about 240+. Do not get carried away on how good england are it is all media hype. They have a poor one day team and are there for the taking.

In the test arena they are a bit stronger but i must stress this to you that Michael Vaughnan is overrated his is one of the less talted batsman in the team. England are likly to rest flitoff for both the test and onedayers, treschthik for the tests and hoggard they are the 3 key players. Englands test bowling attack is nothing special apart from hoggard, harmison is of form and after one good year can not seem to pitch the ball in the right areas. His previous ranking spot was no way near his real ability. Giles is an average player who bowls a negitive leg stump line to defensive feild. Simon jones is consistant but nothng special. The real danger is hoggard but there is a strong possablitly that he will be rested.

England are exspected to thrash bangladesh in the tests and are there for the taking as there captain is very aragant and does not think bangladesh should be playing test cricket. For bangladesh four players have to perform if we are to beat england. Fist of all mortaza needs to bowl a good line and get the ball to swing mainly to struass and thrope who are prone to nicking the ball early in the innings. Secondly rafique needs to bowl very tighly and frustated england as well as trying to get the mystrey ball going. Basher needs to build an innigns and score consistnaly as in england if u get in the runs start to come if u avoid being dismised in that first 30 min after they have come to the wicket. And finally iqbal as he needs to be solid at the top of the innings and get a partnership going with omar or saleh.
Old March 9, 2005, 02:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Pilot fan has the right attitude. Never take the opponent as formidable. Find their weaknesses and play on your own strenghts. Attitude is important. England could very well loose under the right amount of pressure.
Old March 9, 2005, 02:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

but what about the england condition??? forget the eng team i fear the condition....
Old March 9, 2005, 03:10 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Flintoff alone can destroy Bangladesh
Old March 9, 2005, 03:49 PM
Test Cricketer

Who cares about one day cricket? On any given day any team might lose.

Flintoff may be rested for the test series but Harmison won't as he would be given the chance to bowl himself back into form. Given the BD players utter inability to play anything that comes at them above stump height (they tend to pull and hook , score a boundary or two and then get out, a total lack of discipline) it remains to be seen how they cope with Harmison's short pitched deliveries. Furthermore, Pieterson is also likely to be given his debut. From his and England's perspective this is a stress free introduction to test cricket before the real test against Australia, he not likely to waste this opportunity.

Do BD have the ability to bowl England out twice? Can our batsmen set a target for our bowlers to bowl at? The only thing that might work in our favour is England's propensity to under-estimate the opposition, which they do from time to time and which causes them the occasional hiccup.
Old March 9, 2005, 06:30 PM
Street Cricketer

"Who cares about one day cricket? On any given day any team might lose."

I dont agree with this, we have won nine matches out of 106 matches. I guess we never see those given days.
Old March 9, 2005, 06:32 PM
BC Editorial Team

Default I second that notion ...

To Mr. Khan's comments I'd add, England _has_ shown a vulnerability to quality spin. Graham Thorpe used to be their best player but now he struggles against the part time stuff of Graeme Smith (SA). When these guys were in Dhaka, Rafique & Enam were quite effective. Depending on how effective Aftab & Enam are in the tour matches, I am starting to come around the idea that it might NOT be cricketing suicide to go in with two spinners. Aftab can handle the 3rd seamer role, and we use the two spinners to keep things tight and the over-rate going fast.

The key would be to get Strauss early - he has been their most consistent batsmen of late. Tresco will occasionally come off (he's the ultimate form player with his technique or lack thereof), so we just have to pray that he gets himself out early in the two tests.

Am I thinking defensively? Perhaps, but I would be very happy if we get at least one draw out of the two Test matches.

Razab

Edited on, March 9, 2005, 11:33 PM GMT, by razabq.
Old March 9, 2005, 06:47 PM
Cricket Legend

I think we should be over the moon if we get a draw (without the help of the rain gods) out of the two Test matches. Every team has its vulnerable points. England has theirs. But don't forget, ours number a lot more than theirs and while we are trying to work on theirs, they'll be working on ours, and they have a lot more to work with. The point is, England is a considerably superior side and they are expected to beat us, which means that the pressure is on them. We just need to play the best we can and hope that they slip up enough in atleast one Test for us to come away with something.

I don't think there is anything for us to gain by terming England as overrated. When you come off the back of Test series wins against WI in WI, NZ and WI at home and then SA in SA, it doesn't matter how you are rated, what matters is that you have been performing. England has been performing. We should not fear them because that is suicide, but the ultimate stupidy will be for US to underestimate England!!! Let them to the underestimating, we need to just stick to our game and try to acquit ourselves well.

As for the idea of two spinners, I still think we have to think long and hard about playing Enamul in these conditions, especially so early in the summer. Even great spinners have struggled in early summer, only to bag a lot of wickets in the July and Auguest Tests. And Enamul is a spinner in the classic mode, a spinner who likes to flight and turn the ball. He will always be more effective on a turning track. Rafique on the other hand is a more line and length, vary the pace, frustrate the batsman kind of bowler who will do well in England.
Old March 9, 2005, 06:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

On a second thought, BD should play with two specialized spinners irrespective to if England wickets are green top. Our strength lies on spin attack and I believe only Rafique and Enamul Jr can give the English batters a huge discomfort. We should stick to 2 spinners and 2 seamers. The BD 11 would be as follows:
6 batsmen
1 wicketkeeper
2 spinners
2 seamers

P.S. Aftab can be used as the third seamer.
Old March 9, 2005, 10:00 PM
Test Cricketer

English players have always been overrated by their media. But I feel this team is their strongest in quite a few years.
Old March 10, 2005, 12:26 AM
Street Cricketer

Hmmm I hope So They Will Be Frightened With BD
Old March 10, 2005, 01:17 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

I think the catch with taking 1 spinner or 2 spinners is to figure out whether our pacers are good enough, or rather, 'accurate' enough to get help from the conditions, and in the process to trouble the England batsman.

If we believe that they're not so accurate, then we can blindly afford to take 2 spinners in our team, but there is the danger that in the actual matches, we may find our pacers (Mashrafee and Tapash) to be troubling the batsman and then they will be over-bowled and in the process get tired and not take 20 England wickets in the process.

In addition to that, is Nazmul or Shahadat Hossain Rajib really good enough? Will they be able to complement Tapash and Mashrafee well?

In the recent Duleep trophy, Nazmul wasn't bowled that much, and however little he was bowled, he could not take many wickets - even Anwar Hossain Munir and Talha Jubair each has taken more wickets than Nazmul on average.

Also, we have seen Shahadat Rajib has been pretty impressive against Zimbabwe 'A', but he has been very expensive in the One Day games against the same side. So, if we can judge in our minds that England national players will be far better in punishing the bad balls, and will have a better standard - will Rajib be as good as he is in Zimbabwe?
Old March 10, 2005, 03:29 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

About "Overrated England"
It just doesn't matter!!
Even if they are, their 'Actual Rate' is still far higher than BD team. It's better not to bother about how high or low they are, coz it hardly matters. BD shud just concentrate on their own strengths and try to overcome their own weaknesses.

About "Who cares about ODI win?"
For a team like BD, when plyaing vs. the likes of ENG/AUS... ODI win has much much greater value than when between to teams of same standard!

About Test Results
Thinking about Win is useless!.. BD should really concentrate on patient gritty Batting and try to play out 5 days and get a draw! In this respect, surely bowling strength has bit less value when it comes to importance. We need economic bowlers more than wicket-taking bowlers I suppose. That will force England to score slow and not get the chance to pile up massive total in short time and put BD in pressure to survive long long sessions/days.

About "2 spinners or not"
As our spinners have shown... when the track isn't favoring them.. they tend to go expensive as well as their wicket taking capability also disappears. Only Rafiq has handled flat pitches the best so far I guess.

About 3rd Pacer
If it is about economy and better-line-tight-bowling... I think Nazmul & Aftab are good choices. Nazmul is very tight in line and also swings the ball into the right hander well.

** My Final Opinion on our test-bowling strength: Economy is far more important than trying to bowl them out Twice(cos that is bit impractical)...

Edited on, March 10, 2005, 8:36 AM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Old March 10, 2005, 05:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

won't flintoff will miss the first test?
Old March 10, 2005, 05:27 AM
First Class Cricketer

i hope flintoff is off for both test because he can distroy bangladesh alone so he is the only danger. i have confident we will do well, we have 147 against austrelia so england is nothing for us

Edited on, March 10, 2005, 10:28 AM GMT, by opu_87.
Old March 10, 2005, 05:45 AM

Quote:
...we have 147 against austrelia so england is nothing for us
Wow, very encouraging! Hope you are right.
Old March 10, 2005, 05:50 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

amader sobche boro voy amra nije rai.. kon somoy je ki hoy.. kokhon je ki kore... kisui bhuje uth-te para jay na.. let's hope that this kinda thing will not happen in England tour!
Old March 10, 2005, 06:28 AM
First Class Cricketer

BD have a chance of beating ENG in ODI match but the best they can hope for in a test is a draw otherwise its a 2-0 win for ENG. i agree with a earlier post that ENG ODI is weak compared to the their TEST record.

BD may get a lot of stick from UK media about there status but i believe BD will give a good account of themselves and the UK media will be forced to eat some humble pie. BD is not a Zimbabwe, we are improving so any complacency shown by Eng will be capitalised by BD team, they are now capable of this whereas before they were not.

BD will be spurred on by a vocal and partizan SYLHETI fans !! we will be the 12th BD player !!!!!!

Old March 10, 2005, 08:21 AM
First Class Cricketer

this is the score if you dont belive me poorfan bhai
Bangladesh innings (50 overs maximum) R B 4 6
+Hannan Sarkar c Gilchrist b Harvey 19 44 3 0
Javed Omar c Gilchrist b Bichel 11 52 1 0
Habibul Bashar c & b Symonds 31 56 1 0
Sanwar Hossain c Ponting b Hogg 3 11 0 0
Al Sahariar c Martyn b Hogg 8 25 0 0
Tushar Imran c Bichel b Hogg 2 11 0 0
Alok Kapali c Martyn b Lehmann 34 44 2 0
*Khaled Mahmud run out (Lehmann) 11 12 1 0
Tapash Baisya c Bevan b Lehmann 2 7 0 0
Mohammad Rafique c Bevan b Lehmann 6 6 1 0
Hasibul Hossain not out 0 5 0 0
Extras (lb 2, w 16, nb 2) 20
Total (all out, 45.1 overs) 147
Old March 10, 2005, 08:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by PoorFan
Quote:
??? 147??
Old March 10, 2005, 09:02 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Quote:
encouraging?!!

Am i missing something here?!:duh:
Old March 10, 2005, 10:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by crickethorizon
Quote:
Quote:
encouraging?!!

Am i missing something here?!:duh:
Yes Am i also missing something?:duh:
147 is 147. right? or this figure has some other meaning?
Old March 10, 2005, 11:43 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

flintoff is out untill they play austrialia
Old March 10, 2005, 12:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
Flintoff alone can destroy Bangladesh
Flintoff is injured will not play against Bangladesh! Sorry to disapoint you.
Old March 10, 2005, 12:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Bangladesh has realistic chance of doing good against England. I am feeling good about England trip.