facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 22, 2005, 01:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default A five year old prediction fulfilled to an extent ! (Are we now the best fielding side in Asia?)

'We hope to become best fielding side'
2 June, 2000

Dhaka: Bangladesh are on the verge of getting Test status. They have received support from most other Test playing nations in their bid to join the big league.

Bangladesh skipper Aminul Islam was confident that his country would do well in the international scenario. He hoped that Bangladesh would become the best fielding side in the sub-continent. The following is an excerpt of the interview.

How excited are you about Bangladesh becoming a Test playing nation?

Playing Test cricket is the ultimate dream of any cricketer. Test status for Bangladesh will give the game a fillip at the grassroots level. Till now our World Cup win over Pakistan has been the most defining moment.

The day Bangladesh take the field in a Test match, it will the biggest day in our cricket history. I am looking forward to be a part of that landmark event.

What is Bangladesh's immediate goal?

We want to establish ourselves as the best fielding side in Asia. That is entirely in our hands. I reckon we are ahead of Pakistan and India in this department.

The Lankans are at the moment the best fielding side in Asia and we want to show all concerned that we are the best. We have been working very hard in this department and 'Insha Allah' we will succeed.

What gives you that confidence?

Bangladesh may not have a Jonty Rhodes or a Ricky Ponting in their ranks, but we do have people like Javed Omar, Naimur Rahman and Shariar Hossain who are top-class fielders.

I would say these three are among the best in the business inside the 30-yard circle. Moreover, the youngsters, knocking hard on the door are all good fielders.

Would batting be your strong point?

Yes, that is how it is with the sub-continental teams. We have plenty of talent coming through in this department, but what worries me is our pace attack. We don't have enough firepower at the moment.

Our strength is spin bowling and I consider Rafique and Enamul Haq, the two left-arm spinners, to be among the best in Asia.

Is playing before the home crowd an advantage or a disadvantage?

It is both. At times when batsmen get bogged down for a while, the crowd gets restless and starts barracking. In such situation, players with relatively lesser experience often get out playing a bad shot.

At the same time, when the going gets tough, the crowd can buck you up. Players are encouraged to put in that extra bit so as not to let the fans down. And it often pays. I would say playing before your home crowd has more advantages than disadvantages.

Are you happy with your career so far?

I have every reason to be. I made my debut against India in the 1988 edition of the Asia Cup. Since then it has been a long journey. I have been associated with the few highs we have had so far in international cricket.

What has experience taught you?

I have learnt to be patient and not to panic under pressure. That is the only mantra for success at the international level. Also my attitude has changed.

When I made my debut, I batted at number 8 and made just 10. I was feeling very bad, but our wicket-keeper, Nanu bhai (brother) came and cheered me up saying "Why are you so morose? You have scored 10 runs." In those days players could keep their places in the side even after scoring just 10 runs. Today, I set myself higher goals.

What about your batting, of late you have been struggling with that aspect of your game?

A technical flaw had crept in. I was playing off my back foot most of the time. Our coach pointed it out and advised me to get on the front foot. I have regained my confidence and I am striking the ball better already.

Your critics say that you have held your place in the side only because of your captaincy, your comments.

I think it is not fair to say that. In modern cricket no side can afford to pick a player only for his captaincy. I may not have been in great touch of late and I also admit I have had one of my worst seasons in domestic cricket, but I am still averaging around 25 in international cricket.

How much has Bangladesh cricket benefited from various foreign coaches?

All have them (foreign coaches) have played important roles. Mohinder Amarnath was the first to come here. Then we had Gordon Greenidge. Eddie Barlow took over from Gordon and now in his absence, we have Sarwar bhai.

I wouldn't like to make comparisons. They all have been big names and they had their own styles, but the fact is our players have learnt from them. Our progress in the last decade shows the experiment has worked well.

Source

Edited on, March 22, 2005, 6:19 AM GMT, by Shehwar.
Old March 22, 2005, 01:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Since no one is interested in answering it..guess i'll have to answer it myself.....I'll say..yes..we are the best fielding side in Asia.....
Old March 22, 2005, 05:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

bangladeshi fielders sometimes really dazzle us with their abilities... but those catches!!!! Goodness... gotta keep them in hand, u know!

but yes, i do think too, from an unbiased POV, that Bangladesh is indeed the best fielding side in Asia.
Old March 22, 2005, 05:58 PM
ODI Cricketer

I still think we have a long way to go in order to become the best fielding side. Sri-Lanka is a much much better fielding side.
No doubt our ground fielding has risen significantly- that is quite obvious because now we have a lot of youngsters diving about and the quality of field has also encouraged such attempts. But our catching, especially close in catching has been extremely poor. We can even be more competitive in Test matches had it not been for our butter-fingered slip fielders!
Old March 22, 2005, 06:41 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree completely. Our ground fielding has improved a lot because of all the youngsters, but we still don't take enoug catches. We dropped Tendulkar five times in one innings for Gods sake just a few months ago and he went on to score a big 100. The best fielding side is Sri Lanka and then probably its us. But there is some difference between the two. I think its safe to say that we are quite a bit ahead of India and definitely Pakistan at this point.
Old March 23, 2005, 09:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

Yeah!.. we're best fielding side is ASIA
Old March 24, 2005, 04:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: They betrayed us

Simply view the highlights of our 100th odi and you'll have no doubts that we are the best asian fielding side at present.
Old March 24, 2005, 06:10 PM
Cricket Legend

I think we are not good enough to take cathches. If we can improve this then we can be one of the best fielding side in the world.
Old March 25, 2005, 08:46 AM
Club Cricketer

We probably have to improve on catching and hitting the stumpts more often. Otherwise undoubtably we are the best fielding side in Asia thank to dominance of youth in the team.
Old March 25, 2005, 09:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

well be plyrs always tries to "Catch Dhortey". How can one catch a catch they have to catch a ball....:P
Old March 25, 2005, 09:46 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Since we are comparing our views about the BD team before and after Test status... it just reminds me of a very interesting & significant change in BD team's strengths.

When BD entered the Test arena... the biggest strength of the team was assumed to be its batting, wheras bowling was considered mediocre. Fielding was OK... but nothing much noticable.

Now after 5 years the change is so very surprising!
BD batting is still struggling a bit (except for some few lights of hope very recently).. but bowling has earned respect of the opposition! And fielding probably got the highest recognition from everyone...

Probably our batting has not progressed as much as our bowling/fielding has.. and IMO, BD's current success/improvement almost solely depends on the upgrading of it's batting strength... with which we really can manage to beat some good sides accepting our current bowling/fielding strength.

Edited on, March 25, 2005, 2:57 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Old March 25, 2005, 09:51 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by chyicarus
I still think we have a long way to go in order to become the best fielding side. Sri-Lanka is a much much better fielding side.
No doubt our ground fielding has risen significantly- that is quite obvious because now we have a lot of youngsters diving about and the quality of field has also encouraged such attempts. But our catching, especially close in catching has been extremely poor. We can even be more competitive in Test matches had it not been for our butter-fingered slip fielders!
I agree with you
Old March 25, 2005, 01:59 PM
Cricket Legend

No I think its Srilanka!
Old March 25, 2005, 02:37 PM
BC Editorial Team

The thing with slip catching is that you have to expect the ball to come to your hands. You will often find catches going down in situations where the batting side has been dominating for a long stretch. Whenever the opposition is putting a huge partnership together, concentration eventually wavers and the catch is likely coming against run of play. Part of our slip catching problem is due to the fact that we rarely ever have been in a situation where we are putting sustained pressure on the batting team.
Old March 26, 2005, 01:15 PM
ODI Cricketer

If you look carefully at most of the matches- the players, especially the slippers do not expect any catches- and they have their hands on their knees- this is not how to be prepared to take catches in the slips. You need every single fraction of a second to catch the balls so close to the batsmen and when the bowl is coming at a brisk pace.
Outfielding is tremendous- throwing is all about upper body strength and accuracy is just all about practice. But catching requires reflex and presence of mind. Few of the of the best slippers i've seen are Mark Waugh, Carl Hooper, Mark Taylor- because they have a very non-chalant approach when they're in that area!
Old March 26, 2005, 01:54 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Best fielding side in Asia are the Sri Lankans. They are much more athletic than other 3 countries. Almost always can stop the ball while sliding, able to take diving catches, very quick when comes to throwing...
Old March 26, 2005, 04:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

Sri Lanka is definetly the best fileding side in Asia as Atapattu and his men set very high standards in the field like they have always done, which has been quite instrumentul in maintening run rates of the opposing team chasing scores against them. I would say Bangladesh are 2nd best fielding team in asia, and without any doubt Khaled Mashud is the best Wicket keeper in Asia!
Old March 26, 2005, 06:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Sangakkara's easily the best keeper in Asia. The other three are all pretty similar, Mashud, Karthik and Akmal.
Old March 27, 2005, 08:32 AM
First Class Cricketer

Fielding includes both ground fielding and catching. Good ground fielding saves runs but it is catches that earn wickets. Therefore a side with good ground fielding but poor catching will remain a poor fielding side.
Old March 27, 2005, 09:52 AM
Street Cricketer

i gotta agree with the guy ma bangladesh has some really god fielders who are gonna make bangladesh best fielding team in asi but fielding is just one aspect of the game