facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 29, 2005, 03:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Default 16-member final squad for England

Selectors go for probables
Sports Reporter

The national selectors submitted a 20-member preliminary squad to the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) yesterday for the tour of England in May.

The four-member selection panel had initially planned to announce the Tigers' final squad for the two-match Test series considering the fact that the selected players would not be able to play in the ongoing National League.

But they preferred a more conservative approach keeping in mind the tour's duration and injury problems.

"We changed our decision regarding submitting a preliminary squad because it is going to be a long trip and also we have injury problems. We have requested the Board to give us a fitness reports on Mohammad Rafique, Nafees Iqbal and Nazmul Hossain," said chief selector Faruque Ahmed.

"After talking to Dav (Whatmore) over telephone, we finalised the preliminary squad," he said.

Whatmore, who attended the wedding of Sri Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralithan, is expected to return to Dhaka on April 3, a day before the camp starts.

Faruque also informed a 16-member final squad would be revealed on April 20.

Source : daily star

Edited on, March 29, 2005, 8:56 PM GMT, by Zephaniah.
Old March 29, 2005, 04:06 PM
Cricket Legend

so who are the players????
Old March 29, 2005, 04:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

No names?

Edited on, March 29, 2005, 9:26 PM GMT, by pagol-chagol.
Old March 29, 2005, 04:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Good that it will be 16-member final squad . Not 14 or 15.
Old March 29, 2005, 05:26 PM
First Class Cricketer

BCB to name initial squad today

Bangladesh Cricket Board is likely to declare a 19-member preliminary national squad today for the upcoming England tour. The team will begin its practice session on April 4. They will depart for England in the first week of May to play two Test matches against England. Later Bangladesh will play a triangular series involving Australia. The probable squad : Habibul Bashar, Khaled Mashud, Nafees Iqbal, Javed Omar, Mohammad Ashraful, Rajin Saleh, Aftab Ahmed, Mohammad Rafique, Enamul Haque Jr, Tapash Baisya, Mashrafee bin Mortaza, Talha Jubair, Manjarul Islam Rana, Alok Kapali, Abdur Razzak, Nazmul Hossain, Mushfiqur Rahman, Shahadat Hossain and Khaled Mahmud.
New Age
Old March 29, 2005, 05:44 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

i know its a probable squad, but if we are to select a 16 member squad from here, the task is very easy: kapali, mushfique and rajjak gets kicked out.

my first guess was that kapali mushfiq and talha will get the kick, but in english condition there is no way we gonna take 4 SLA.
Old March 29, 2005, 06:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by Samir
BCB to name initial squad today

The probable squad : Habibul Bashar, Khaled Mashud, Nafees Iqbal, Javed Omar, Mohammad Ashraful, ..., Alok Kapali, Abdur Razzak, Nazmul Hossain, Mushfiqur Rahman, Shahadat Hossain and Khaled Mahmud.
Old March 29, 2005, 06:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

My 16 man squad

Bashar, Mashud, Nafis, Javed, Rana, Nazmul, Mashrafe, Ashraful, Rajin, Aftab, Rafique, Enamul Jnr, Tapash, Alok, Mahmud, Jubair

There's no point having 4 SLA's in the squad, Mushfiqur's a has-been I'd much prefer have the experience of Mahmud (as much as I don't like it). Shahadat has failed in every big game he's played, I'd prefer have Talha. I'd rather have Tushar instead of Alok but since Tushar wasn't in the primary squad Alok stays.
Old March 29, 2005, 07:16 PM
BC Editorial Team

The preliminary squad is a joke. What possible reason does Alok or Mushfique have of getting in? One 50 a summer does not make
Old March 29, 2005, 07:38 PM
BC Editorial Team

On the same vein, the selectors are really missing a beat here. Kapali is highly unlikely to go, and at this point calling him to camp would not enable Whatmore & gang to learn anything new. It might have been a lot better if someone like Golam Rahman was called up as a probable. Just so the powers that be could observe how the youngster carried himself amongst the Sr. squad, how coachable he was etc. No less an authority than McInnis himself said that he first started to realize the potential in Enamul Jr. by the way he acted when he was called up in the Sr. squad. And this is not a new thing either. Sides like Australia (with Cameron or England with Ian Bell) have brought in youngsters just to hang with the senior squad.

Golam Rahman has the most centuries this year _and_ he is an opener! And he scored his latest 100 agaist a newball pairing of Talha & Monir. That's not bad at all. Infact that's his 2nd century against this attack.
Old March 29, 2005, 08:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by razabq
On the same vein, the selectors are really missing a beat here. Kapali is highly unlikely to go, and at this point calling him to camp would not enable Whatmore & gang to learn anything new. It might have been a lot better if someone like Golam Rahman was called up as a probable. Just so the powers that be could observe how the youngster carried himself amongst the Sr. squad, how coachable he was etc. No less an authority than McInnis himself said that he first started to realize the potential in Enamul Jr. by the way he acted when he was called up in the Sr. squad. And this is not a new thing either. Sides like Australia (with Cameron or England with Ian Bell) have brought in youngsters just to hang with the senior squad.

Golam Rahman has the most centuries this year _and_ he is an opener! And he scored his latest 100 agaist a newball pairing of Talha & Monir. That's not bad at all. Infact that's his 2nd century against this attack.
These are just personal opinions. The 20 member list isn't out yet. Don't need to worry about Alok.
Old March 29, 2005, 10:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Until the list is official I guess no point arguing about it. But they better pick another opener in this squad. That is more important than who is the other middle order bat ( among kapali, tushar etc..) in the prelim. squad.
Old March 29, 2005, 10:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by razabq
On the same vein, the selectors are really missing a beat here. Kapali is highly unlikely to go, and at this point calling him to camp would not enable Whatmore & gang to learn anything new. It might have been a lot better if someone like Golam Rahman was called up as a probable. .
Old March 30, 2005, 02:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

There would be very slim chances of surprises,, other than Alok is not going be selected ( as if we didnt know that already). Faruk already mentioned that he is not going to break the winning combination.. so its pretty much the same squad again with the inclusion of 3-4 others. My guess:
Bashar, Mashud, Mahmud, Rafique, Nafis, Javed Omar (?), Aftab, Ashraful, Mashrafee, Taposh, Nazmul, Rana, Enamul and then,,,Shadat Rajib, Tusher Imran and the surprise inclusion.
Old March 30, 2005, 07:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Final squad
Old March 30, 2005, 08:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

The preliminary 20 man squad for England tour are as follows:

Habibul Bashar(C), Khaled Mashud, Khaled mahmud, Mohammad Ashraful, Javed Omar, Rajin Saleh, Nafees Iqbal, Aftab Ahmed, Tushar Imran, Shahriar Nafis Ahmed, Mohammad Rafique, Manzurul Islam Rana, Enamul Haque Jr, Masrafe Bin Murtaza, Tapash baisya, Nazmul Hussain, Anwar Hussain Munir, Talha Zubair, Shahadat Hussain Rajib, Abdur Razzaq

I wonder why Anwar Hussain Munir got a call. We already see 5 seamers in the 20 man squad. Munir is the 6th one and the weakest link among them. He is no better than Mushfiqur Rahman and neither we saw this bloke did anything better in NCL to mark his place even for the preliminary squad. Instead selectors could have focused on some new face like Golam Rahman, as someone has mentioned in the other post.

Edited on, March 30, 2005, 8:46 PM GMT, by Navarene.
Reason: typo
Old March 30, 2005, 08:46 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Anwar's channel is much stronger than mushfiq's I guess????

By the way whats the source NAV?
Old March 30, 2005, 08:50 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Even though there are some new faces in the 20.. I doubt if there is any possibility of a new face in the playing games at all.

Shahadat has the highest chance of debut I suppose.

Edited on, March 30, 2005, 1:56 PM GMT, by crickethorizon.
Old March 30, 2005, 08:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Anwar Hussain Munir ar main team or 16 man squad a thakar kono chance nai.Oeta holo camp ar bolwer.Bashar,Ashraful der batting practise korar jonno oke dakse.So oke niye tension ar kichu e nai.But Sanowar or Mushfiq,ae 2 joner 1 jon thakle ekta kotha chilo.
Old March 30, 2005, 10:01 AM
Cricket Sage

Alok is not there.

Now lets predict (for fun) who will be in the final 16.

Who are in for sure?
1. Bashar
2. Pilot
3. Ashraful
4. Rajin
5. Nafees Iqbal
6. Aftab
7. Rafique
8. Masrafe
9. Tapash
10 Enamul

Who are also in
11. Javed
12. ChaCha
13. Rana
14. Nazmul

Who are out?
Razzak
Munir

Now who are the other two (slot#15 and slot#16)?

So the competition is between:
Case-I) Tushar and Shahriar Nafis for one slot. The other will be out.
Case-II) Talha and Shahadat for the other slot. The other will be out.

Now what is going to happen (about slot#15 and slot#16)?

Most likely
15) Tushar, and
16) Talha will be in.

What I would like to happen (about slot#15 and slot#16)?
15) Shahriar Nafis and
16) Shahadat.

Why
Case-I: I prefer both instead of Javed. But that is not going to happen. IN that case, I prefer Shahriar Nafis instead of Tushar. Beacuse I don't feel comfortable at all with Javed opening for the team. I feel more comfortable with Shahriar Nafis in the team of 16 as a standby player in case Javed fails.

Case-II: I prefer Shahadat instead of Talha. Their role will be mainly a bench warmer with some chance in warmup matches and may be one one-day match. Even though I still like Talha's potential, this time I like to give Shahadat some exposure and reward him a little bit for his recent good performance. May be it will motivate him further and surprise us all when/if he get a chance due to injury of our top seamers (or to give them some rest).

Edited on, March 30, 2005, 3:17 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old March 30, 2005, 10:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default agreed!

I completely agree with the 20 probables for Eng series, except for Anwar Hossain Munir. Seems like Faruq and Co. always tend to create a mistery or two. It would've been perfect to see Shafaq instead, as we deperately need one lefty seamer. He could've gained valuable experience while playing in tour matches. May be MacInnes isn't sure about his fitness .

Probably, Munir got the nod after a decent performance in Duleep Trophy disaster. .oops:
Old March 30, 2005, 10:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Alok is not there.

Now lets predict (for fun) who will be in the final 16.

Who are in for sure?
1. Bashar
2. Pilot
3. Ashraful
4. Rajin
5. Nafees Iqbal
6. Aftab
7. Rafique
8. Masrafe
9. Tapash
10 Enamul

Who are also in
11. Javed
12. ChaCha
13. Rana
14. Nazmul

Who are out?
Razzak
Munir

Now who are the other two (slot#15 and slot#16)?

So the competition is between:
Case-I) Tushar and Shahriar Nafis for one slot. The other will be out.
Case-II) Talha and Shahadat for the other slot. The other will be out.

Now what is going to happen (about slot#15 and slot#16)?

Most likely
15) Tushar, and
16) Talha will be in.

What I would like to happen (about slot#15 and slot#16)?
15) Shahriar Nafis and
16) Shahadat.

Why
Case-I: I prefer both instead of Javed. But that is not going to happen. IN that case, I prefer Shahriar Nafis instead of Tushar. Beacuse I don't feel comfortable at all with Javed opening for the team. I feel more comfortable with Shahriar Nafis in the team of 16 as a standby player in case Javed fails.

Case-II: I prefer Shahadat instead of Talha. Their role will be mainly a bench warmer with some chance in warmup matches and may be one one-day match. Even though I still like Talha's potential, this time I like to give Shahadat some exposure and reward him a little bit for his recent good performance. May be it will motivate him further and surprise us all when/if he get a chance due to injury of our top seamers (or to give them some rest).

Edited on, March 30, 2005, 3:17 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old March 30, 2005, 10:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Anwar is a net bowler. You rather have an experienced net bowler than a kid like Shafaq.
Old March 30, 2005, 10:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

I think Monir is better bowler than those who were left out. I think Rassel is above of Shafaq in picking order (based on the performance of Zim tour). Monir is more experienced than Rassel and Rassel is going Australia for six months training ... inclusion of Monir in 20 probables is not a bad idea.
Old March 30, 2005, 10:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Notable players missed out: Rokon, Alok, Hannan