facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 4, 2005, 01:04 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Only England on his mind

Bishwajit Roy

For Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore first thing comes first. He was not even ready to entertain the whisperings of whether he will be at the helm or not after his contract expires in September this year.

Rather, the 50-year-old tactician wanted to make the most of the month-long training, which started at the Army Stadium yesterday, ahead of the demanding England tour.

Bangladesh will embark on their maiden series in England next month with the first Test starting at Lord's on May 26-30.

"Right now I'm not thinking about anything other than the coming English assignment. This particular set of games against England is probably very important. We all know that exposure is very big in places like England, so for us to put up a good showing is even more important on this tour than others," said Whatmore after the first day's workout with 20 probables.

Fresh after a successful home series against Zimbabwe that preceded a mouthful one-day triumph over India, the Sri Lankan-born Australian said that he wanted to take inspiration from those successes.

"The month of January was very good for us and it will definitely help the boys to face a bigger challenge in England. We will be expecting some of our boys to continue in their progress of improving," said Whatmore.

He however admitted that the current England team, ranked second behind Australia in the ICC Test rankings, would be no less hostile than the biting cold and the wicket suited their bowlers most.

"We all know that they rank second in Test. We will play in their own conditions and in May England can get very cold. So, we need to battle the conditions first and then need to battle against the opposition."

"It's a tall task but nevertheless an improving side will have to dwell against this sort of condition," he continued.

Watmore's last visit to England with the Tigers was in the ICC Champions Trophy last year and it was a bitter experience -- two heavy defeats against South Africa and eventual winners West Indies.

But the witty Bangladesh coach expects a better result in the triangular series, which will follow the two Tests. World champions Australia are the other team.

"It was totally a different competition where we had played only two games. We had not much time to recover from a bad game. A number of other teams had suffered the same fate. But in triangular one-day tournament after two Tests, we have six matches, obviously our goal is to make the final," said Whatmore smilingly.

Regarding the two new faces in the preliminary squad, Whatmore said he was happy to see someone coming and trying hard to make an impression.

"Obviously they were selected on merit. It is good that we have a couple of new faces every now and than coming in. I think you have seen both of them working very hard today in the fitness testing and pressing their claims to be selected," said Whatmore about right-arm paceman Shahadat Hossain Rajib and left-handed opener Shahriar Nafees Ahmed.

-The DailyStar
Old April 4, 2005, 01:07 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Only England on his mind

For Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore first thing comes first. He was not even ready to entertain the whisperings of whether he will be at the helm or not after his contract expires in September this year.
Rather, the 50-year-old tactician wanted to make the most of the month-long training, which started at the Army Stadium yesterday, ahead of the demanding England tour.

Bangladesh will embark on their maiden series in England next month with the first Test starting at Lord's on May 26-30.

"Right now I'm not thinking about anything other than the coming English assignment. This particular set of games against England is probably very important. We all know that exposure is very big in places like England, so for us to put up a good showing is even more important on this tour than others," said Whatmore after the first day's workout with 20 probables.

Fresh after a successful home series against Zimbabwe that preceded a mouthful one-day triumph over India, the Sri Lankan-born Australian said that he wanted to take inspiration from those successes.

"The month of January was very good for us and it will definitely help the boys to face a bigger challenge in England. We will be expecting some of our boys to continue in their progress of improving," said Whatmore.

He however admitted that the current England team, ranked second behind Australia in the ICC Test rankings, would be no less hostile than the biting cold and the wicket suited their bowlers most.

"We all know that they rank second in Test. We will play in their own conditions and in May England can get very cold. So, we need to battle the conditions first and then need to battle against the opposition."

"It's a tall task but nevertheless an improving side will have to dwell against this sort of condition," he continued.

Watmore's last visit to England with the Tigers was in the ICC Champions Trophy last year and it was a bitter experience -- two heavy defeats against South Africa and eventual winners West Indies.

But the witty Bangladesh coach expects a better result in the triangular series, which will follow the two Tests. World champions Australia are the other team.

"It was totally a different competition where we had played only two games. We had not much time to recover from a bad game. A number of other teams had suffered the same fate. But in triangular one-day tournament after two Tests, we have six matches, obviously our goal is to make the final," said Whatmore smilingly.

Regarding the two new faces in the preliminary squad, Whatmore said he was happy to see someone coming and trying hard to make an impression.

"Obviously they were selected on merit. It is good that we have a couple of new faces every now and than coming in. I think you have seen both of them working very hard today in the fitness testing and pressing their claims to be selected," said Whatmore about right-arm paceman Shahadat Hossain Rajib and left-handed opener Shahriar Nafees Ahmed.

http://www.thedailystar.net/
Old April 4, 2005, 01:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Bishwajit Roy
..."It was totally a different competition where we had played only two games. We had not much time to recover from a bad game. A number of other teams had suffered the same fate. But in triangular one-day tournament after two Tests, we have six matches, obviously our goal is to make the final," said Whatmore smilingly...
-The DailyStar
Dav has finally flipped!!!
Old April 4, 2005, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

yes, dav has flipped. however, as much as i'd like to put all my faith on this guy, i'd say he's being a bit (in fact completely) unreallistic. however, i guess i should also realize that he was probably fooling around ("said Whatmore smilingly...."), and that there's a big difference between setting a target and expecting it to happen. after all, playing for something big is the only way to achieve something small and priceless

Edited on, April 4, 2005, 6:44 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old April 4, 2005, 02:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Nothing wrong with setting big goals though a touch a sarcasm is present since he said it smilingly! We should be able to differentiate that.

On another note:, I thought his contract with the board expires in June and not in Sep as the report suggests. Also, read a while ago that they were ready to extend his contract till the WC before we set out to England! We should lock him up now. John Wright is leaving and India no doubt will dangle a big carrot in front of him. Losing him at this point will set us back a bit. After all, we are just begining to put together a credible team that needs to be further nurtured under his tutelage. The board should be pro-active and be professional about it. Whatmore is a professional coach and he, as any reputed coach, can be lured with better incentive and pay.
Old April 4, 2005, 04:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

How many of your guys actually think he might extend his contract?

I think he might not- he's regarded as one of the best coaches in cricket these days and there's plenty of demand for him from other countries as well. I think Phil Simmon's job is on the line- but i doubt whether he'd agree to move there.
Old April 4, 2005, 04:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Im hoping he signs to extend his contact. hes done more to BD cricket than anyother coach.
Old April 5, 2005, 12:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Yeah I'd want Dav to stay as well....I'm sure everyone wud....The nest best choice wud be Woolmer who is not available....
Old April 5, 2005, 01:14 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

i'd not want dav to leave even after WC2007. dav=bangldeshi coach. for ever.
Old April 5, 2005, 02:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Before going to India for Duleep Trophy Tournament Dav gave reply to a newspaper saying he was expecting finalizing BCB contract within weeks time. Right after that the newspaper mentioned that his contract with BCB had been extendeed for 2 years. That happened even before the team left for Duleep Trophy, I remember. Why is there another news on his contract renewal by September? With India looking to replace John Wright, isn't it confusing to hear this news now?

I thought Dav has signed for 2 more years with BCB already!!!!!!