facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 29, 2004, 11:58 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Do they do their Homeworks?

http://usa.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...29OCT2004.html

As I was reading the article from Andy McLean, I kept wondering if our players ever do any research on their own. Apart from watching video and computer analysis, do any of these guys seek out stuff on their own?

This article, for example, is an excellent observation on batting fiasco. I wonder if any of the players are cognizant of all sports writing in international media and actually take time to read up on the analysis/observations from various recognized experts.

I've listened to Bashar being interviewed by someone in WI. I'm not too sure about their fluency in English.

Since they have had all foreign coaches/physios, I assume they are comfortable.

If not, BCB should have some of these really constructive critiques translated and passed around to players

Edited on, October 29, 2004, 5:17 PM GMT, by BushidoTiger.
Reason: more typo

Old October 29, 2004, 12:14 PM
Test Cricketer

BushidoTiger. I bet they don't read anything related to cricket history/analysis/methods. I bet 100 quids on that one. They don't have a effin' clue about their job - playing a sport in the highest level. Rightly said BCB should take care of this aspect i.e. arranging few audio-video session for national players atleast ( as they are directly employed by BCB) regularly like ECB do for their academy players in Loughborough University.
Old October 29, 2004, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

I think they read bangla newspapers. These newspaper can do the translation of these informative articles and publish in their paper.
Old October 29, 2004, 12:43 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by BushidoTiger
If not, BCB should have some of these really constructive critiques translated and passed around to players
True... but before that, BCB itself has to read these analysis and reviews! I doubt if BCB has any sort of permanent research and table-analysis system developed yet.. apart from video analysis.

Probably any sort of homework that is done is solely done by personal initiatives of the BCB members and the coaches(whoever does it).. all of them deserve personal credits. (A very good example is our Junior team coach McInns.. who probably not only goes thru update reviews.. but also has taken the pain to participate in fan-site discussions like ours!)

I don't criticise the cricketers at all for not reading these.. coz becoming a great player more comes from inherent tallent than study and desktop homework!
The skills we require from our players it natural talent to understand the game.. we can excuse their inabiilty to go through write-ups and relate themselves to it.

It's probably BCB's job to conduct the research work and transfer the core info to the players in on-field form.

Old October 29, 2004, 12:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

BushidoTiger, what an excellent observation! Yes this is what I wanted to emphasize while trying to find out the lack of success of BD team. When it comes to playing international cricket, it is more than just being out there in the field. There are a lots of HW to do. No matter how talented a batsmans is if he lacks the understanding of the situation and lacks mental toughness he can never be successful......in the long run.
Old October 29, 2004, 01:12 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Some very good observations by the writer which I liked:
(and wondered how he got them so right so fast!)

"With such strong support from the public and the local media, the dismal efforts on the field are even harder to accept."

"Bangladesh needed to be positive with the pitcht turning, but they struggled with the mental aspects of the game, in particular picking the right ball to score from and the correct shot to play.

"Bangladesh are a side littered with talent and skill, but the challenge for their players is to find a way of putting the tremendous pressures of playing at home out of their minds when they are at the crease."
Old October 29, 2004, 01:27 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by BushidoTiger

I've listened to Bashar being interviewed by someone in WI. I'm not too sure about their fluency in English.

Edited on, October 29, 2004, 5:17 PM GMT, by BushidoTiger.
Reason: more typo
Yes, English is not good. BCB is planning to hire tutors to teach players how to speak in English.
Old October 29, 2004, 01:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

They probably all listen like good students and fail in the exams. I think, each individual need to look at themselves individually and think of ways how he can better himself. Identify their own flaws and weaknesses, whether technical or mental, and work accordingly. As much as we say that cricket is a team sport, it is not, and on the contrary it is quite individual. Now, while fielding it is more of a team sport relying on the individual talent of a given bowler. While batting, it is more of a individual thing as you are there with your non-striker against eleven people. There are plans within a team frame when you bat but that is secondary...
Old October 30, 2004, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

i dont think they do anything like that. the only bangladeshi who ever did that was bulbul. the rest are too lazy.