facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 26, 2003, 07:45 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default How much you support Sujon\'s existence?

Eventhough it is more or less sure that sujon will be in the squad against england. But how much you support this. Should we have to wait upto the young kids get matured or should we consider others (like bashar).

The only reason for sujon's staying would be not to hamper the 'dharabahikota' of the BD team. But we need a good alrounder...or even important a brteak through bowler.

Prohor

Old September 26, 2003, 08:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

I think we should wait for ending the england tour.Give sujon another chance.He did not played well but i think control the team well.So let see for next tests.
Old September 26, 2003, 08:39 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

a captain needs to be respected by his team members in order to be an effective leader. I think, though I could be dead wrong, currently bashar and rafique are the ones to enjoy this universal respect, given their seniority and performance.
Old September 26, 2003, 11:31 AM
Cricket Legend

I can't differentiate between board member opinions (there are plenty for sure!) and accurate newspaper reports/player intereview but isn't sujon supposed to be motivating and leading well?

as for his performance, his bowling picked up in Pakistan understandably because he always does better on slower tracks. we should not be surprised if he takes some more wickets against england. his batting is clueless on the test team, but could still be useful on the one day team.

the issue with his performance is not whether he can still take some more wickets and bowl tight l&l on slower tracks (he can); rather, could someone else do it better (IMHO: yes).

if they keep him around maybe he should only play in the subcontinent?

[Edited on 26-9-2003 by rafiq]
Old September 26, 2003, 11:34 AM
Test Cricketer

I think that Sujon's 'fire' and motivational abilities have supplemented the guidence by Whatmore in the improvement shown so far by the BD team, despite his mediocre performance on the field. I think he should stay on until we at least get another 1 day win, which will hopefully come in the Zimbabwe tour.
Old September 26, 2003, 01:11 PM
First Class Cricketer

What we need more at this time is experience. I may find a youngster who may perform better than K. Mahmud but Mahmud's experience is unreplaceable at this time. The young players need some sort of guidence during the game and only few players in our team like Bashar, Rafique, Mashud and Mahmud can provide that.

So until our young telented players are more matured and experienced we need to keep these somewhat less talented but experienced players around. However at the end it will be today's younger player's responsibility to become the first true role models for future generations coz we haven't got any good role model who can show the way like the other test nations like Gavaskar for India, Imran Khan, Miandad for Pak - Ranatunga, Jayasuria for Srilanka and so on.

So I say we should keep Mahmud around for a bit longer.
Old September 26, 2003, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

K Mahmud's experice did not do us any good in the WC.

I dont see why we need him for the sake of experience.
Old September 26, 2003, 01:46 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

On home ground and due to his nature, Mahmud may turn out to be a very useful player against England and if he can keep his form - he can do well in zimbabwe.

I am not a big fan of Shujon as a captain (ie automatic choice for every match - no matter the opponent and wicket) but I am learning to LIVE with BCBs plan of keeping him in the team. I would have picked someone with a FUTURE (Shujon is 33, even Sumon is 30/31 and CAN play at this level and has 2 years to boot).

ON another note, the team is very young (not that our 'older' players could make much difference) and they could use 3/4 mature heads guiding them at this time.

Added: I also think that he has good chemistry with his team - his biggest redeeming factor (besides the one great performance in the pak tour).

[Edited on 26-9-2003 by tehsin]
Old September 26, 2003, 02:31 PM
First Class Cricketer

I just want to refer Dav's earlier comment about selecting the team first and then the captain. It is not going along that way....I think.

The Q is, Can we afford such a captain who is only a good motivator of the team in this stage. If we can't learn how to play w/o Sujon's motivation...what we will do in future !!! We can't switch sujonfull to sujonless if not now, not later.

If Dav really wants to achieve improvement on the individual performances, he should keep focus on the PERFORMANCES.

Prohor
Old September 26, 2003, 03:36 PM
Banned

How does a bowler perform well if not made to bowl in the right time given his capabilities ?

How does a fielder take a catch if not made to stand where the catch is lobbed at ?

How does a fielder stop a ball if not standing anywhere near the path of the ball ?

How does a ODI batting line-up shuffle around to meet the need of the moment when batting ?

A captain's performance is judged also by his hand in the above items. Ofcourse Sujon is no good, but we do not want a Mashud type replace him.