facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 4, 2005, 03:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Well Done Atahar Ali Khan!

Thanks to Atahar Ali Khan for his outstanding job as a commentator.

- He educated the viewers about Bangladesh Cricket Ultra-structures
- He talked about the FC league, and the premiere league where Celebrity players from overseas play.
- He talked about the good series we had in the past.
- He praised our boys when they played well, which was missing from other commentators.
- He Voiced the disgust when Umpires were biased, or when England showed their cheating ability.
- He didn't fall for the baits Botham offered!

Old June 4, 2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

atleast our commentator did a good job
Old June 4, 2005, 03:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Honestly, good job Atahar Ali Khan! Keep up the good ethics and do not get into dirty politics like the rest.
ODI Cricketer

The Channe 4 team is better, although Alec Stewart can't commentate for beans, other than that :

Richie Benaud - Legend
Boycott - Entertaining, speaks his mind, very knowledgeable on batting tecniques.
Atherton - Makes silly comments sometimes but is generally good.
Nicholas - Loves himself but is strangely likeable.
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Flipper
Thanks to Atahar Ali Khan for his outstanding job as a commentator.

- He educated the viewers about Bangladesh Cricket Ultra-structures
- He talked about the FC league, and the premiere league where Celebrity players from overseas play.
- He talked about the good series we had in the past.
- He praised our boys when they played well, which was missing from other commentators.
- He Voiced the disgust when Umpires were biased, or when England showed their cheating ability.
- He didn't fall for the baits Botham offered!
Old June 4, 2005, 03:29 PM
Club Cricketer

I am interested to see some actual words from on umpiring by AAK.
Old June 4, 2005, 03:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I listened on the BBC audio thing with Agnew and a few other people. Even Dav Whatmore was there. It was good.
Old June 4, 2005, 03:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Athar was almost suggesting that there should be handicap system in cricket. He said that it is difficult for team like Bangladesh to recover from a bad decision unlike strong teams such as England. Very true. But that is part of the cricket game. Umpires makes mistakes. I think they got it wrong even the Bashar's LBW which Athar pointed out that there ware sufficient doubts and, consequently, decision should have gone in favor of the batsman. The Hawkeye showed it could have clipped the bell. But there are a ton of assumptions that goes into calculating the trajectory of ball. Believe me, that engineers (including one of my teachers at the graduate school) ware trying for decades to get it right for baseball and have not accomplished it yet. So, may be Basher was not out. But that should not decide the outcome of a game. The game of cricket (actually any game) has this human element which a good team needs to overcome if it were to be consistently successful

Edited on, June 4, 2005, 8:58 PM GMT, by LateCut.
Old June 4, 2005, 10:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

I didn't like Athar's biased commentary as i also don't like the some of the English commentators. I liked how Nas commented on the game. He talked about the positives and negatives of both the teams and encouraged the BD team.
I don't like one sided commentary and I think a "neutral" commentator is also neccessary otherwise we'll soon see past cricketers battling out with mics on their hands!!!
Old June 4, 2005, 10:44 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
He didn't fall for the baits Botham offered!
Exactly what kind of baits did Botham offer to Atahar?

And yes, Atahar was being a little biased towards Bangladesh. I guess it is a pretty difficult job to forget about being a former national player, plus the current national selector as well as commentate at the same time.

That is why I like commentators like Harsha Bhogle (of ESPN Star Sports) or any neutral commentator who is just observing the game where his own country is not involved.

In fact, that is why I wanted to hear Whatmore's commentary, did anyone hear what he had to say yesterday during Bangladesh's batting time?
Old June 4, 2005, 11:11 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Atahar never said any kind of garbage about our country's cricket , he always tried to put us at the top ......he didn't let us down from any sense at all . That's great .

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 4:20 AM GMT, by Bangla amar Maa.
Old June 4, 2005, 11:17 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by chyicarus
I didn't like Athar's biased commentary as i also don't like the some of the English commentators. I liked how Nas commented on the game. He talked about the positives and negatives of both the teams and encouraged the BD team.
I don't like one sided commentary and I think a "neutral" commentator is also neccessary otherwise we'll soon see past cricketers battling out with mics on their hands!!!
Agree with you
Old June 5, 2005, 12:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by rob22888
The Channe 4 team is better, although Alec Stewart can't commentate for beans, other than that :

Richie Benaud - Legend
Boycott - Entertaining, speaks his mind, very knowledgeable on batting tecniques.
Atherton - Makes silly comments sometimes but is generally good.
Nicholas - Loves himself but is strangely likeable.
Silly Comments right? What can you please say?
Old June 5, 2005, 03:10 AM
First Class Cricketer

Athar for Prime Minister!!!!
Old June 5, 2005, 03:30 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

Athar is 1of the most balanced and unbiased commentators.

Not many but some will think Athar as a biased person, when he talks about Bangladesh. But i have to say, you listen to him and make quick judgements, but you dont hear him.

Athar speaks the truth on anyone`s face.

Athar is not trying to defend Bangladesh Cricket from all the bashing of English Commentators and Media. In short, there is no reason in world cricket to bash Bangladesh, however some still do. He is Speaking that truth which suggest patience.

He is not a desperate fan who starts 100 non sense topics after a bad performnace, he doesnt have that mentality. Athar talks to the fact and when it doesn`t click with many of you, you call him biased.

Gives you peace of mind i guess. Good for you.

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 9:24 AM GMT, by Mav.
Old June 5, 2005, 04:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Some fans here make me laugh so hard that sometimes I have to run to the restroom. These people seem to live in a perfect world where roses are red and violets are blue. Ironically, they only make it hard for themselves for a breathing place in their perfect world.

A test match begins with a pitch report, where Botham tells the audience that the game is analogous to taking candy from a child for England. And, there is no doubt in my mind that the majority of the British viewers and our so called fans here agree with him wholeheartedly. Do they see the disrespect for a test team, and therefore the game itself? He was sent there to give a pitch report, but he tries to be unbiased there for those people who pretend to live in a perfect world. Botham is just one example of what we have been swallowing all this series.

Here comes Atahar, a commentator from a poor country with lots of hearts and passion, from a team ranked the lowest but with the highest number of supporters, a team that is emerging, and a team that shows it can fight. But, when he tries to educate people of our situations he is labeled as biased.

Sigh!

I though people seek for breathing air when they suffocate.
Old June 5, 2005, 04:42 AM
Cricket Legend

atahar is a good commentator, but that decision for bashar was right. atahar was just guessing it may have touched the bat. but i think replays showed it hasnt and also height was ok. only nafis decision was wrong.

Also botham is not a bad commentator, he is disgusted because Bd couldnt show much of a fight. But yesterday he praised aftab and about bashar he had mixed feelings.
Old June 5, 2005, 04:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by LateCut
Athar was almost suggesting that there should be handicap system in cricket. He said that it is difficult for team like Bangladesh to recover from a bad decision unlike strong teams such as England. Very true. But that is part of the cricket game. Umpires makes mistakes. I think they got it wrong even the Bashar's LBW which Athar pointed out that there ware sufficient doubts and, consequently, decision should have gone in favor of the batsman. The Hawkeye showed it could have clipped the bell. But there are a ton of assumptions that goes into calculating the trajectory of ball. Believe me, that engineers (including one of my teachers at the graduate school) ware trying for decades to get it right for baseball and have not accomplished it yet. So, may be Basher was not out. But that should not decide the outcome of a game. The game of cricket (actually any game) has this human element which a good team needs to overcome if it were to be consistently successful

And that human element is missing from the fein of Nafis's out.
Old June 5, 2005, 04:49 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by LateCut

Latecut I heard AAK. He was not suggesting any handicap. He was merely stating that bad umpiring doesn't help BD's cause especially Bangladesh being a weak team.!!
Old June 5, 2005, 09:21 AM
ODI Cricketer

Well Basher dismissal was clearly legal. Under any circumstance the ball couldn't have hit the bat first. He was miles away from hitting it- beating by pace also as Flitoff's ball skids off the track.
Athar was doing the right thing of being biased towards BD when the other English commentators were being biased towards Engerland!
But however, i don't like his normal commentating as it seems like he's an agent representing the BCB in the booth!
Old June 5, 2005, 12:44 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by chyicarus
Athar was doing the right thing of being biased towards BD when the other English commentators were being biased towards Engerland!
Actually... both of the sides are wrong doing so.

Athar is generally good. Sometimes he just gets too inclined towards BD. This, at times, exposes BD's weaknesses even more in front of the world.

For example... when he tries to imply strongly that "BD has got a really strong and competitive Domestic Structure" (which he very often says)... everyone knows he is over-stating the facts. At these points he loses credibility of his comments and often gets into some sort of sticky argument. Sometimes he even starts to put a BD player sky-high the moment he hits a boundery or delivers a good ball. These 'Extra Efforts' sometimes do sound weird.

I like his cricket knowledge though.
Old June 5, 2005, 02:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Athar may be a bit biased towards BD but for real partisanship just listen to Gavaskar!
Old June 5, 2005, 09:12 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

There was a point when Athar kept talking about our domestic structure and persuing the topic too much, until I just knew that the other commentator wasn't even listening...even I zoned off after a while...

But not the point..Athar was great other than those 3-4 mins..I couldn't stand Micheal Holding's scathing comments, though. He made my blood seriously boil..
Old June 6, 2005, 04:05 AM
Club Cricketer

Here in this forum we get to defend our team wholeheartedly. We shun anyone who tries to say negative stuff about our team. We are the hardcore fans of Bd cricket. But out there in the media where it really counts, we dont have anyone defending our team. First the knowledgable people from BD arent good enough commentators and I am afraid their English aint too good either. So what Atahar does in the face of all these negative comments in the press box is not only commendable but also galant. Yes, sometimes he may overstretch the truth, but he does not step back when faced with adversity and can go toe to toe with all the great commentators. This takes a lot of guts. We cannot afford neutral comments from Atahar. I just absolutely love the way he sometimes sticks it to commentators who have trashed Bd before....the most memorable occasion I remember is when he had that mild verbal fight with Amir Sohel in the press box. So I love what he does and the manner in which he pursues it. Well done to him.

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 9:09 AM GMT, by AussieBloke.