facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 8, 2010, 05:29 PM
Street Cricketer

Default do you think 20 over matches appropriate for cricket

At first it was only Test cricket. Then it was test and odi cricket. New additiont to it is 20/20 matches. Cricket is about strategic plan. Which has more time in Test and a different type in ODI. The strategy is both for test and ODI and these types are multi strategic games and both for fieldars and batsmen. Where is that in T20? For batsmen it is only how many times you can score 4 and 6. That is the only goal for batsmen. So do you really think it is it is good/bad for cricket the T20?

Old April 8, 2010, 05:31 PM
Street Cricketer

cricket is not about 4 and 6. it is about stamina, it is about patience, it is about cool head, it is about multi strategy but where it is in T20
Old April 8, 2010, 05:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Your thread is about 5 years too late. T20 is here to stay.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_Max
cricket is not about 4 and 6. it is about stamina, it is about patience, it is about cool head, it is about multi strategy but where it is in T20
In couple of years you are going to see some teams will score 300-320 runs in 20 overs. who is going to play test cricket anyway?
Old April 8, 2010, 09:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Being a writer if people dont read your book you dont have any value?Same way T20 is giving popularity to cricket you cant tolerate it.In a different post i said that T20 has brought different dimension in cricket.It seems to me 20/20 is the future of cricket.I have doubt about survival of ODI.But test will survive only for its high quality.So future cricket is test and T20.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old April 8, 2010, 09:34 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk619
In couple of years you are going to see some teams will score 300-320 runs in 20 overs. who is going to play test cricket anyway?
that time i will be opening the bowling for BD not mashrafe shafiul or rubel.

15-16 per over................ i can do better than that. no need of bowlers that day. each team will have 11 power hitters and one worse than mushfiq keeper and 5-6 tamim type bowlers.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

20/20 is pretty interesting (at least i like it), but its important to avoid overkill.

I think I read some article recently, where it mentioned about not having international 20/20s. I agree with that. Schedule is crowded as is. For international 20/20s something has to be cut, and I'd rather have ODI's cut than tests. Instead, I think 20/20s should be left to domestic leagues like IPL (which really needs to be controlled from growing tooo big).
Old April 9, 2010, 01:48 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Why do you think that T20 doesnt need stamina, patience, cool head or strategy? T20 being more intense than other forms of cricket should need it more & be more stamina.

Some people used to tell me, why do you play basket ball, it is so small a ground that you even dont get exausted. Better play Football it needs stamina etc. I only needed to make him play Basket ball for 5 mins... & relax. he would have got the answer.
Old April 9, 2010, 12:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Your thread is about 5 years too late. T20 is here to stay.
Yes, well said.

You have to like it leave it.
Old April 9, 2010, 12:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

T20 fun fun game is all good for all nations except the ones who are trying to learn how to play test cricket (BD). The mindset goals are so different than test. The adaptation to this 4 and 6 "bowlers have no say" game is easier for those who already knows how to play the longer version of the game. Can not be said for dhum dharakka fun fun players trying to adapt the longer version of the game where footwork and patience is important.

BD test'a establish hoitey parley onno format will become much easier to adapt. Be it 10 overs a game of 5 overs a game.
Old April 9, 2010, 01:12 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Rubel, Ashraful, Tamim

where is the poll/voting ?
Old April 9, 2010, 01:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

I know this topic will surface over and over again but the simple truth is that T20 came about out of necessity not as a whim.

If Tests and ODIs were lighting the world on fire, no one would look to tweak cricket. Bottom line is that the interest was dying, financially it was becoming unsustainable and something had to be done.

Thats the origin of T20. So before bashing the format, please acknowledge that Tests and ODI were not going to keep Cricket going forward.

Now that T20 has established itself as a force and is not going anywhere, ICC needs to understand how to use it to its advantage, such as introduce the game via the Olympics, use it to bring in new countries to the cricketing world and generate sufficient revenue to save Test cricket (ironic isn't it?)

There is beauty in T20 if you choose to open your eyes. Sure its dominated by the batsman but you still have instance like Dinda toying with Warner on 4 dot balls before bowling him out on the 5th the other day. A dot ball is oooh'd and ahhh'd by the crowd and a maiden is seen as a major accomplishment.

Comparing T20 and Test doesn't make sense. Even in Basketball, there are those, who long for the days of fundamentals (pass, jump shots when you're open) and criticize high flyers who can dunk and showcase their athletic ability.

In T20 there is a need for concentration and one simple mistake can and cost you the game. As for BD needing to focus on Tests while falling behind the rest of the world in this format, thats pure BS (with all due respect T_E bhai). Like I've said before, we might as well not expose our kids to computers and internet until they have mastered the fundamentals of typing.
Old April 9, 2010, 06:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

I dont think the games all about 4's and 6's. The best players in other formats are the best in T20 as well. If youve got the skills, you'll excel. Kallis for example. Nobody really considers him a hit and miss, wham bam type of player. He's probably the best example in the world for a technically correct, efficient and machine like player who works hard for his runs. He's leading the charts in the IPL right now. Tendulkars another example.

A better criticism for T20 cricket is that it reduces (pretty much eliminates) the chance of a side being bowled out. I think that takes away a much needed dimension of the game. I suppose they could experiment with allowing only a certain number of batsman to play. If they could do that and somehow keep all other aspects of the game the same, we'd have an amazing format in our hands...
Old April 9, 2010, 08:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Finally..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad
I dont think the games all about 4's and 6's. The best players in other formats are the best in T20 as well. If youve got the skills, you'll excel. Kallis for example. .... Tendulkars another example.
Now tell me how many of such players do we have? None. Wouldn't it be better to get one of these players first before we ask them to play swords with the bat?

You see Kallis and Tendu weren't raised through T20 format. All exceling in the shortest version already were baptized in the longer version. If you try to focus on this format before knowing how to play cricket .. well good luck to you. That is why I am dead against Bd players playing in this format because to me they don't know cricket (batting) as of yet. (Case and point not much draws or wins in test cricket)

If adaptation of Tendu-Kallis of this format was max a year, I would give two years for our boys to adapt to the shorter version ONCE they learn how to play cricket in Test. That is good enough for me.
Old April 9, 2010, 11:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Finally..

Now tell me how many of such players do we have? None. Wouldn't it be better to get one of these players first before we ask them to play swords with the bat?

You see Kallis and Tendu weren't raised through T20 format. All exceling in the shortest version already were baptized in the longer version. If you try to focus on this format before knowing how to play cricket .. well good luck to you. That is why I am dead against Bd players playing in this format because to me they don't know cricket (batting) as of yet. (Case and point not much draws or wins in test cricket)

If adaptation of Tendu-Kallis of this format was max a year, I would give two years for our boys to adapt to the shorter version ONCE they learn how to play cricket in Test. That is good enough for me.
test crickerters are the best. they can adapt in to any other format easily.

its not possible for t20 players to adapt easily into other formats.

and finally test cricket is total cricket
odi is semi cricket
t20 is quarter cricket
Old April 9, 2010, 11:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

T-20 is tantamount to street cricket.

period.
Old April 10, 2010, 12:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Yes, I like dhoom dhaam then blocking in any given day. Not to mention it's more exciting to watch. You got to ask yourself, would you want to see 10 six in 5 overs or 4-5 six in 50 overs? That's my opinion
Old April 10, 2010, 03:39 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
Yes, I like dhoom dhaam then blocking in any given day. Not to mention it's more exciting to watch. You got to ask yourself, would you want to see 10 six in 5 overs or 4-5 six in 50 overs? That's my opinion
six wise u may see t20 is more frequent.

now century wise ??? u get to see more and more centuries in odi's than t20.

5fers and maidens ........... very rare in t20.
Old April 10, 2010, 04:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

আরে ভাই মাঠে নামলে গা গরম হইতেও তো ২০ ওভার লাগে । যেই সমস্ত মানুষ সব কিছু শর্টকাটে সারতে চায় তারাই ২০ ওভারের ক্রিকেটের সাপোর্ট করবে। Its a game of endurance and stamina..........পুতু পুতু টাইপের পাবলিকের খেলা এইটা না । আইলাম.........দুইটা বারি দিলাম......তারপর আঊট হইয়া মাঠ ছাড়লাম.........ধুর
Old April 12, 2010, 10:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

no,don't say that about t2o,it's rubbish cricket
Old April 13, 2010, 01:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Any new thing always has some controversies. After 10-15 years T20 will be the most popular. Another thing is, for this format some other countries are getting interested in cricket. SA games included cricket. Now it is time to see cricket in Olympic. Bangladesh will get a chance to have a medal in Olympic. Test and ODI couldn't make it possible.

I don’t like T20, but I always appreciate anything new. Whatever we say, T20 will stay and only for this shorter version there is a possibility to have a cricket world cup with 20-25 teams in future. ODI included only 16 in its 30+ years of history.

Old April 13, 2010, 08:32 PM
Cricket Sage

I bet if our team was any good at T20 everyone would be loving it.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
I bet if our team was any good at T20 everyone would be loving it.
Then again, our team isn't good in anything and yet some people tend to love ODIs. Ki bichitro ei desh.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Then again, our team isn't good in anything and yet some people tend to love ODIs. Ki bichitro ei desh.
but ODI's been around for ages, and on top of that we do have some wins under our belt. But other than that one win against WI we really don't have much to talk about in T20. IMO it will take some time for us to get settle in this format. i'm with Mijan bhai, for the time being T20 should be the least of our worries, lets worry about ODI and Test first. T20 will fall right in eventually.