facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 1, 2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Default Fifty hurt in Bangladesh cricket clashes

Fifty hurt in Bangladesh cricket clashes
Supersport - Johannesburg,South Africa
At least 50 people were injured, several of them critically, when a village cricket match triggered riots in northern Bangladesh, a media report said on ...

---
Rubu - ekhon amra koi jai?

Old May 1, 2007, 10:25 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

What a disgrace. By Sirajganji supporters too!

If this sort of incident takes place in village cricket, I wonder what would happen when our national team are regular winners and lose to a lesser team.. Scary to even think about it...
Old May 1, 2007, 10:27 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

I am sorry to know that. Hope the injuries are not grave. This violence on cricket field in very unfortunate and the fans should realize that umpire is also a human.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

It's disgraceful, but isn't anything new among our villagers or even in the so called "civilized society". I just can't believe our people still fight over a match. Man, that's just a match for God's sake.

This sport can never survive in such hostile environment. Bad for the long run.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
It's disgraceful, but isn't anything new among our villagers or even in the so called "civilized society". I just can't believe our people still fight over a match. Man, that's just a match for God's sake.

This sport can never survive in such hostile environment. Bad for the long run.
Unfortunate ! But sports in general tend to rise up boxed up emotion in people from time to time. People indentify themsleves with their team/country and when a collection of people band together to witness something that they percieve to be unfair to their team/country, the inevitable happens some time. It happens in all corner of the world. Anyone seen the brawl in the ManU vs Roma game ( so called civilized societies )? Not condoning it. Just saying its not unique to our country.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Unfortunate ! But sports in general tend to rise up boxed up emotion in people from time to time. People indentify themsleves with their team/country and when a collection of people band together to witness something that they percieve to be unfair to their team/country, the inevitable happens some time. It happens in all corner of the world. Anyone seen the brawl in the ManU vs Roma game ( so called civilized societies )? Not condoning it. Just saying its not unique to our country.
I agree with you. But cricket is supposed to be gentlemen's sport. That's certainly not what we see in our crowd and some players in many occasions. When was the last time you saw this happen in England, Australia, or NZ grounds? I haven't heard of any (may be I missed a few).

The thing you're trying to describe here is called "mob mentality". It's true that sometimes due to this very factor, a whole event can go upside down. But this mentality is built with fragments of individual mentalities that work in a well-coordinated fashion.
Old May 2, 2007, 01:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Geez. Bangladesh is turning out to be a typical sub-continent team. How embarrassing.
Old May 2, 2007, 01:43 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Dravid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Geez. Bangladesh is turning out to be a typical sub-continent team. How embarrassing.
Nothing Embrassing in being Passionate abt the Game,Even in our childhood galli cricket matxches we used to have real ugly fights and then the next day we hug and laugh with the same ppl.Thats the spirit of the game.
Its more fun watching a match in a Sub continent ground than in a boring English environment.
Old May 2, 2007, 01:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj
Nothing Embrassing in being Passionate abt the Game,Even in our childhood galli cricket matxches we used to have real ugly fights and then the next day we hug and laugh with the same ppl.Thats the spirit of the game.
Its more fun watching a match in a Sub continent ground than in a boring English environment.
I agree with the fact that there is nothing embarrassing in being passionate about the game. However i dont see how you look at fighting as being passionate. Physical abuse should now way be considered passionate. It's fighting over an umpiring decision for crying out loud. It's not like they're fighting over human rights.
Old May 2, 2007, 08:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

whereabout in sirajgonj.
Old May 2, 2007, 08:40 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Well, i guess the "game" itself was just a mere "symbolic" reason why they fought.
Most often than not, this sort of fights in our villages are due to the inter-village rivalries which could be of whatever reasons.

Especially if two big fishes, "matobbors" of such village are present during the game, they always incite those violence into the younger crowd and have a fight about nothing..

Clashes due to football games in our villages are a very very old subjects..
its just that its moving to cricket now.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 2, 2007, 09:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

r ey dhur polapain dekhi ektu maramari dekhley uh aha shuru korey. we r from bangladesh. we like to fight. haat thaktey mukeh kishey...
Maar shalarey ato boro kotha amgo super batsman rey out disey... lol
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old May 2, 2007, 09:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Ah!! Some countries have special interest for cricket in our country. Nice to see what a humble beating on the field can have an affect for inquisitive minds. Way to go South Africa.
Old May 2, 2007, 10:13 AM
Test Cricketer

This is nothing new. It is only getting national exposure. We are a hot-headed bunch not unlike the football hooligans in UK. I hope we rise above this.
Old May 2, 2007, 10:40 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Doc, I'm not surprised. And even though it did not mention the name of the village, I'm more than 100% sure it includes one of yours (dhanbandi) or my (vangabari) village. :P

If some of you is confused, it is not about passion for cricket or anything like that. They fought for football, Kabadi or what else. I even recall having a fight among two villages for one para guy throwing stone at a mango tree of another village. It much better now, but even in the late 90's when I used to go home from Dhaka on vacations, I had to ask friends to be updated on which villages not to go because a fighting is going on.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:30 AM
Cricket Sage

Well there is a positive side also.

That means atelast 50 people showed up to watch a local village cricket game, whereas we have seen bare empty stadium in WC2007 league games.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Well there is a positive side also.

That means atelast 50 people showed up to watch a local village cricket game, whereas we have seen bare empty stadium in WC2007 league games.
Aaah. Such a Fazalesque response.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

I am shocked!!!!This is soo disgraceful.....and I think these kind of stuff should never ever happen again!!!!!
Old May 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
Doc, I'm not surprised. And even though it did not mention the name of the village, I'm more than 100% sure it includes one of yours (dhanbandi) or my (vangabari) village. :P

If some of you is confused, it is not about passion for cricket or anything like that. They fought for football, Kabadi or what else. I even recall having a fight among two villages for one para guy throwing stone at a mango tree of another village. It much better now, but even in the late 90's when I used to go home from Dhaka on vacations, I had to ask friends to be updated on which villages not to go because a fighting is going on.
Yeah... now I can realize the whole picture!
It seems to be some 'traditional rivalry' (!) between two neighbouring communities! And I myself had to be one of the 'benificiaries' of their 'love-affair' few months back. I remember I had to go to Sirajgonj for a professional purpose... and when I tried to come back to Dhaka in the afternoon... I found out that the whole Dhaka-to-north-Bengal road is blocked and all the inter-city buses are postponed because of a fight between two villages over a Badminton game! I had to find a good hotel and stay there overnight and come back the next morning!
Old May 2, 2007, 12:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
I found out that the whole Dhaka-to-north-Bengal road is blocked and all the inter-city buses are postponed because of a fight between two villages over a Badminton game!
You mean, for the two villages, transportation to the whole country halted? Damn. E to dekhi Bush er cheyeo powerful kusti.
Old May 2, 2007, 12:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I agree with you. But cricket is supposed to be gentlemen's sport. That's certainly not what we see in our crowd and some players in many occasions. When was the last time you saw this happen in England, Australia, or NZ grounds? I haven't heard of any (may be I missed a few).

The thing you're trying to describe here is called "mob mentality". It's true that sometimes due to this very factor, a whole event can go upside down. But this mentality is built with fragments of individual mentalities that work in a well-coordinated fashion.
Cricket is the peoples sport in BD now after replacing football. We used to watch clashes in the 80's after football matches. We don't see football clashes as much any more. Cricket has more following now and more ill fated passion surrounding it. The opposite is true in the countires that you have mentioned and the lack of violence surrounding cricket in those countires. But, you will see violence around Football, Rugby matches in those countries as those are the more popular sports. Cricket actually is a tier two sports in the countries you mentioned. And also, alcohol plays a big part in sport related violence overseas...
Old May 2, 2007, 01:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

this has been happening with soccer matches for a long time now...even in europe stuff like this happens over football matches...

#OneTeam1Dream
Old May 2, 2007, 02:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj
Nothing Embrassing in being Passionate abt the Game,Even in our childhood galli cricket matxches we used to have real ugly fights and then the next day we hug and laugh with the same ppl.
This kind of mentality (it's ok to fight like a crazy over a sport) gets people killed.

Quote:
Boy dies hit by cricket bat

Kolkata, May 1 (PTI): A teenager died after being hit by a cricket bat in a quarrel between friends at the Maidan here.

The police said that the teenager, Md Imran, wanted to play football, but his friends refused.

This resulted in a quarrel in which Imran was struck with a cricket bat, resulting in his death, the sources said.

Imran's death yesterday came weeks after another boy, Rabin Ash, was killed after being struck with a cricket bat in neighbouring Howrah district.

- The Hindu
Old May 2, 2007, 06:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
there was a long hated relationship between Bhangabari and diar dhangora. never knew bhangabari played cricket?
Old May 2, 2007, 06:29 PM
ODI Cricketer

that is so wrong