facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 8, 2012, 04:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Default Shaker Ahmed

What's happening with this kid? he was/is a wonderful spin prospect but now it looks someone is trying to turn him into a top order batsman.

He barely bowls these days, doesn't get many overs and on the occassions that he does he hasn't had enough bowling under his belt to really properly perform like he can. He might have some batting talent but his bowling talents are going to waste.

My question is why? Not long ago he was one of the brightest spin prospects for this country.

Old January 8, 2012, 08:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Remember seeing him in action against Eng - U19s and was really impressed. Thought there was another Shakib in the making!

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 8, 2012, 10:07 PM
Cricket Guru

he's gone from being a strike bowler batting at #10/11 to a #3 batsman who bowls occasionally. why such a talented bowler isn't being developed i don't understand.
Old January 8, 2012, 11:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: who else?

the real talent must be hidden some where else, u never know..
Old January 9, 2012, 12:58 AM
Cricket Savant

shake take kore naki bhodrolok.....
Old January 9, 2012, 02:10 AM
Cricket Legend

isn't that how ash started career - as a bowler? Perhaps we need good batsmen as a nation than another spinner?
Old January 9, 2012, 02:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
isn't that how ash started career - as a bowler? Perhaps we need good batsmen as a nation than another spinner?
And that's how Ash should have persued his career! A bowler who can give it a tonk at number 7 or 8!!! Now he can neither bat or bowl!

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 9, 2012, 07:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
we need both...the national batsmen might be struggling atm but we still need good spinners, a test nation really needs a number of players who are test standard in all roles in case someone gets injured.

plus unless shaker has tremendous batting potential there is no point trying to make him a batsman, he has great bowling potential. why stop developing that? at the very least he should be being developed as an allrounder, that's if he does have some great batting potential.

but i just find it strange how he was a #11 in u19s and a star spinner getting wickets and now he's a top order batsman not scoring many runs and not bowling nearly as much as he should be.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:56 AM
First Class Cricketer

যেই পোলার কথা কইয়া কান্নাকাটি
হেই বেটার নিজের মাথায় কি গোবর ঠাসা না-কি??
নিজের ভালো তো হুনছিলাম পাগলেও বুঝে .... !!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 9, 2012, 09:10 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

^^boka vai apnar besir vag post banglay kintu sig ta banglish keno?
Old January 9, 2012, 09:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Now all we need is a hundred at debut against a top team and the birth of a second Ash. Frightening

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old January 9, 2012, 09:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

i didnt even see his name in the list of players to be auctioned in bpl
Old January 9, 2012, 10:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

From what I remember, he's a really tall spinner with a Vettori type action. Looked like he can be a really good player. I think we should look at what position he plays in the next Academy tour and see if he's actually trying to be a batsman or it was just in the NCL.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old January 9, 2012, 12:37 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

We don't have a wicket-taking spinner other than Shakib, who is the only one in the team who knows how to attack the stamps with many subtle variations. We need a top-order batsman, but there is no reason why he cannot be a good spinner.
Old January 9, 2012, 12:49 PM
Cricket Sage

The more tall (5' 11" +) players, the better. The team is full of gaitta guitta baitta players. And when they get old and gain little weight.. and there is no place to hide... all show up in the belly area.

But to play in the highest level... these 5' 2" ... 5' 4" players are at a disadvantged stage unless you are a specialized batsman and your name is Tendulkar.
Old January 9, 2012, 03:42 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
The more tall (5' 11" +) players, the better. The team is full of gaitta guitta baitta players. And when they get old and gain little weight.. and there is no place to hide... all show up in the belly area.

But to play in the highest level... these 5' 2" ... 5' 4" players are at a disadvantged stage unless you are a specialized batsman and your name is Tendulkar.
or Gavaskar, or Hutton, or Bradman...
Old January 9, 2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim the Boss

Whats up with every thread turning into a height topic??? We are talking about cricket here not basketball.
Old January 9, 2012, 06:38 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boka
যেই পোলার কথা কইয়া কান্নাকাটি
হেই বেটার নিজের মাথায় কি গোবর ঠাসা না-কি??
নিজের ভালো তো হুনছিলাম পাগলেও বুঝে .... !!!!!!!!!!!
the post of the thread.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:02 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

So I guess "tallness" is the new "thing" now in BC huh? Everyone wants to see tall players, and the reasons behind it is pretty baseless. I measured cricketers' athletic ability lowly compared to the America athletes like a noob. But then I realized you don't have to be tall or hugely built to be a good cricketer (by that I don't mean you can be fat and slow; not in this era). Many of you followed cricket all your life, so IDK why the sudden craving for only tall players.

Recent ex. Michael Clarke is 5.10, Kallis is 5.11. Hilfenhaus' vicious swing doesn't come from his height, nor does Pattinson's great pace. /End
Old January 9, 2012, 07:55 PM
Cricket Sage

By Bangladeshi standard 5' 8"+ is tall.

I am tired of seeing shorties like Rahim where height is effecting his WC, ashraful where one plate of fried fish directly deposit in his belly, all decent length ball becomes unplayable bouncers to our shortie batsman, and when they duck they are bowled out.
Old January 9, 2012, 08:31 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ So what you are saying, all those dropped catches, missed stampings, byes from Rahim happened over his head, as he was unable to reach for the ball, because he is short? HAA!

Most of his drops and miss-stumpings happened because of his terrible reflexes. Pilot - our best keeper ever, and probably one of the best in Asia during his era wasn't any Yao Ming.

Ashraful gets bowled, because he sucks, not because he is short. Lara and Ponting known for their hook and pull, aren't that much taller.
Old January 9, 2012, 09:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
^ So what you are saying, all those dropped catches, missed stampings, byes from Rahim happened over his head, as he was unable to reach the ball, because he is short? HAA!

Most of his drops and miss-stumpings happened because of his terrible reflexes.
What I am saying is height is playing a part. Mushfiq has other problem, but height is limiting his range.

Quote:

Pilot - our best keeper ever, and probably one of the best in Asia during his era wasn't any Yao Ming.
Yes we know. And by tall no one is talking about 7'+.

5'+ midget is not going to cut it now days unless you are extremely talented. And none of our players are in that category except for may be Sakib. But he is not short.

Quote:
Ashraful gets bowled, because he sucks, not because he is short..
Sure he does because he sucks. But that's not what I am saying here. He show bhuri quickly with few lay-off days not because he sucks, but because he is short... and it's not a news to any short people ( by short I mean below 5' 5" )
Old January 9, 2012, 10:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop

Ashraful gets bowled, because he sucks, not because he is short. Lara and Ponting known for their hook and pull, aren't that much taller.
Aager BD-ENG A match - e shetai chokhey porlo je 3 jon batsmen bowled hoilo. That is not good.
Old January 9, 2012, 10:06 PM
Cricket Legend

^ boltey boltey Talukdar bowled ajkey. (stopping off topic here, moving on...)
Old January 9, 2012, 10:57 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ were they bowled because they are short? They still have to use the bat, even if they are tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
What I am saying is height is playing a part. Mushfiq has other problem, but height is limiting his range.

Yes we know. And by tall no one is talking about 7'+.

5'+ midget is not going to cut it now days unless you are extremely talented. And none of our players are in that category except for may be Sakib. But he is not short.

Sure he does because he sucks. But that's not what I am saying here. He show bhuri quickly with few lay-off days not because he sucks, but because he is short... and it's not a news to any short people ( by short I mean below 5' 5" )
All I'm saying is, a player shouldn't be hyped up just because he is tall. He has to be GOOD cricketer, and to be a good cricketer one don't necessarily have to be tall, said by the experts. I'm not here to defend Rahim or bash Ash, but you can't kick them out just because they aren't tall. I'd kick them out if they aren't performing/better replacements are available.

And FYI none of our bowlers are bowling 95mph bouncers that Rahim won't reach. Like I said, he is missing catches/stumpings because he is a terrible keeper, even if he was tall, it wouldn't have helped. So no point hating on him because he isn't tall. McCullum is only 2 inch taller than him, and he is a sick keeper.