facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 15, 2015, 08:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me
Default Best known photographers in Bangladesh and professional photography

I am interested in finding out about professional photographers outside of the field of photojournalism working in Bangladesh. By professional I don't mean perfectly competent amateurs who do not make any money out of their hobby, but rather individuals who actually make a living out of photography.

Is there a fashion photography scene at all?
Are there glossy magazines or scope for such publications?
Is there a fineart photography scene?

Having been out of the country for 24 years, I am principally looking for some information or perhaps guidance on how to find out about available resources. Is it financially viable to operate a fully functional professional studio as a fineart photographer? What about teaching opportunities within this field?

When I was growing up in Dhaka and vaguely old enough to know about magazines and newspapers, I remember the Eid supplements in magazines. These may have some images of models advertising clothes. An uncle of mine was once such published in a supplement like that. But, we are talking about the late 80s.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old February 16, 2015, 07:44 AM

Actually Puck, there is. A classfriend of mine from way back was a professional fashion photographer in the US, and he's back in BD for good. I'm not sure if he does fashion photography in BD now, but he does do photo projects for UNICEF.

As for fashion photography and object photography, there's enough of a scene because BD has had a tremendous boom in advertising in the past 12 years. There was one guy I stumbled across on flickr a few months back, and I liked his food photography for a restaurant display and menu items.

There are glossy magazines, and if I remember correctly, ICE today had their in house photographer doing most of the shoots. But this was 10 years back.

p.s: I've started my baby steps into photography as a hobby and your old threads were a big help, Puck. Unfortunately, I mostly end up taking photos when I'm travelling. (Right now I'm visiting Bangkok, but so far havent been out with my dslr at all). If you're interested I can pm you my flickr photostream.
Old February 16, 2015, 11:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Y don't u put it here Ammar .. I wanna watch those Thai masseuse ..
Old February 16, 2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Y don't u put it here Ammar .. I wanna watch those Thai masseuse ..
Not a visit for pleasure jackass, but here for something more up your line of work. If you're that curious, trawl the web with a good encrypted web browser!
Old February 16, 2015, 01:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Ammar I wanted to see your Flickr photo stream... share with us ...

U can take out all the Thai girls from there if u are ashamed .
Old February 16, 2015, 01:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Ammark, thank you so much for your kind response. Very encouraged indeed to hear about your friend.

I am particularly interested in your reference to advertising and commercial work. I wonder if there would be any demand for a training academy delivering photographic training for students of all levels that could be attached to a studio facility? I am unfamiliar with the university sector in Bangladesh and formal teaching of Photography. I know that fine art is taught but perhaps there isn't so much of photography incorporated into that, in particular the practical technique side of things?

After many years in academia and almost two decades of employee training and professional development for a large fashion retailer, I decided to change my career towards the end of last year. I took the baby steps towards setting myself as a freelance writer and photographer. While I have been operating as a freelancer for many years doing the odd bit or commercial and portrait work on the side, it has been rather more satisfying to do it full time. I used to teach a photographic technique class at night school to adults for a few years too. So I am now actively entertaining the possibility of returning to Dhaka for good, set up a studio, training facility and an inhouse fashion magazine that would collaborate with UK fashion writers but focused mostly on style trends in Bangladesh. I am wondering if there may be any funding opportunity anywhere?

I was hoping to charge students for courses but also have a large number of scholarships for talented individuals, possibly from the bosti (slums) localities. This isn't really so much of a profit making business model but more about creating a brand that paid for itself, supported and developed a local need.

If anybody had any further guidance or even wanted to collaborate, I would certainly entertain the possibility.

I am pleased that those old threads were of any help to somebody! The older I get (soon to touch 40) the more I realise that good commercial photography is nothing to do with expensive equipment but understanding the workings of whatever camera anybody has access to, learning the techniques and combining both sets of knowledge with an understanding of market forces!
Old February 16, 2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck

I was hoping to charge students for courses but also have a large number of scholarships for talented individuals, possibly from the bosti (slums) localities. This isn't really so much of a profit making business model but more about creating a brand that paid for itself, supported and developed a local need.

If anybody had any further guidance or even wanted to collaborate, I would certainly entertain the possibility.

I am pleased that those old threads were of any help to somebody! The older I get (soon to touch 40) the more I realise that good commercial photography is nothing to do with expensive equipment but understanding the workings of whatever camera anybody has access to, learning the techniques and combining both sets of knowledge with an understanding of market forces!
You are just maturing mate!

Your plan sounds great. Wish if I could help. I will get back to you if I find a lead...

All the best
Old February 16, 2015, 06:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Puck, this is the most popular photography school in Bangladesh. And yes, many university students in Bangladesh are willing to learn photography!

http://pathshala.net/
Old February 16, 2015, 07:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush

This guy is touching 40 but he acts like he is 70 or something....

Wants to retire at 40 I would say that's a good life....usually ppl in sports can pull this off...
Old February 16, 2015, 09:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Your plan sounds great. Wish if I could help. I will get back to you if I find a lead...

All the best
Kalpurish, thank you for your support. If it takes off, the long term plan would be to commission some of the under-priviledged scholarship students to go on funded photographic projects, possibly sponsored by national and international brands. Much of this is still a feasibility study based on a similar project ran in the slums of Brazil and Guatemala in the late 90s.

Ultimately, for this to work there would need to be community engagement so all good wishes count!
Old February 16, 2015, 09:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Puck, this is the most popular photography school in Bangladesh. And yes, many university students in Bangladesh are willing to learn photography!

http://pathshala.net/
Thank you very much indeed for that Mac. There appears to be a number of interesting directions within that project although I am wondering if this a mass participation enterprise?
Old February 26, 2015, 05:16 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Puck, have you seen the local contributors to the bi-annual Chobimela? They're fantastic! Many of them have work that go on to be featured in Nat Geo, Time, New York Times and even Magnum!

Pathshala has some outstanding students and graduates now. You might have already seen the work of Rahul Talukder, as he covered the Rana Plaza Disaster

You can read about him here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/p...?frame=3196315
Old February 27, 2015, 07:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
Puck, have you seen the local contributors to the bi-annual Chobimela? They're fantastic! Many of them have work that go on to be featured in Nat Geo, Time, New York Times and even Magnum!

Pathshala has some outstanding students and graduates now. You might have already seen the work of Rahul Talukder, as he covered the Rana Plaza Disaster

You can read about him here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/p...?frame=3196315
Hi Navi,

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been exposed to elements of the chobi mela through a publication that my best friend forwards me every day - http://www.loeildelaphotographie.com...5042-178886757

I am going to search for the rest.

Very pleasing to know that there is interest as well as a general consensus towards seeing photography as a valid artistic medium.

The study of photography at university level is a little more common in the US than in the UK. The degree courses here tends to be offered by the less prestigious institutions and having known a lot of them through various forums, there is a tendency to want to do photography because it is seen as an easy option. But essentially, the universities still allow for dark rooms, editing labs and studios for practise as well as a possible exposure to the history of photography and how it can portray a subject or concept.

There is very little distinction from a wedding photographer to fineart work amongst the average public. There is still suspicious scepticism of the paparazzi lingering around since the death of Princess Di.

This is purely an assumption, I suspect that a photography student in Bangladesh is perhaps not looked down upon as an underachiever?
Old February 27, 2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo

Here is Rahul's Tumblr profile:

http://www.tumblr.com/search/rahul%20talukder
Old February 27, 2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
Kalpurish, thank you for your support. If it takes off, the long term plan would be to commission some of the under-priviledged scholarship students to go on funded photographic projects, possibly sponsored by national and international brands. Much of this is still a feasibility study based on a similar project ran in the slums of Brazil and Guatemala in the late 90s.

Ultimately, for this to work there would need to be community engagement so all good wishes count!
A wonderful and ambitious initiative.

When you are going to Bangladesh? I would suggest to have networking with local govt. authority as well as local community before you start... all the best
Old March 14, 2015, 07:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
A wonderful and ambitious initiative.

When you are going to Bangladesh? I would suggest to have networking with local govt. authority as well as local community before you start... all the best
I am in the middle of two writing projects that needs to see completion, one a ghostwriting contract and the second, my own book of photo essays. Other than this I am also involved with another charitable project here that would need a fair bit of my attention for at least another year, so I can't envisage any permanent plans before the end of next year really

However, the proposed project in Dhaka is a long term goal and I would love to be able to give something back in a creative way that also benefited the community and made a few underprivileged youngsters dream of a better life.