facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 5, 2005, 05:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Ian Bell

Without using this an advantage to say that "England are going to get stuffed in the Ashes, Bell will be found out and confidence destroyed", what do you think of him?

OK, most batsman would take Windies and Bangladesh as the first two bowling attacks to face in their international career, but he has scores of 70, 63* and 162* in his first three innings in international cricket.

He plays with a straight bat, technically he looks immaculate and plays his shots witha great deal of flair, class and style and seems to have a wide range of shots.

Another thing that has always been apparant of Bell in his entire 1st class career is his temperament. He never gets flustered. Just gets his head down and concentrates on the job in hand, batting.

I think he has a great future.

However, I do wish people wouldn't say he is 'Atherton with flair'. Athertons name must not be mentioned when McGrath is bowling.

Old June 5, 2005, 06:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

This should really be in the international forum.. but anyways...

I agree. he has a future along with Petierson. Im not too sure about Key though.
Old June 5, 2005, 06:29 PM
Cricket Legend

I liked Miller's comment regarding him "The mouse that roured". When Petierson was excluded, I thought our bowlers would find some relief against a mild mannered cricketer like Bell, but, unfortunate for us, I was proven wrong. I think England should try him out in couple of ODI's, may be as an opener.

Edited on, June 5, 2005, 11:30 PM GMT, by TheWatcher.
Old June 5, 2005, 08:35 PM
ODI Cricketer

I liked his batting. Calm and decent cricketer. He has a bright future I think and hope.
Old June 5, 2005, 08:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

I really like the way he bats! He's only 23 but has a presence of mind of a 33 years old player. Superstar in the making.
Old June 6, 2005, 12:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

i heard he has quite apoor technique against quality spinners, so we shall see this summer against warny, but he does look ever such a fine player
Old June 6, 2005, 02:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Huda
i heard he has quite apoor technique against quality spinners, so we shall see this summer against warny, but he does look ever such a fine player
Well I heard that too. It will be interesting to see how will he play against Shane Warne. BTW.. he is definitely a class batsman and will be scoring many runs in future.
Old June 6, 2005, 09:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: nadif chowdhury

aherm. I think mohammad rafique is a quality spinner...
Old June 6, 2005, 11:52 AM
ODI Cricketer

About Bell in ODIs. Don't think so.

His county form in one dayers has been less than impressive, he averages in the 20s and has made just one hundred and 22 50s in 86 matches.

He doesn't really score quick enough, we already have Vaughan holding us up, we don't see Bell there as well. However, I would much rather he opened than Jones.
Old June 6, 2005, 12:04 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

i dont think vaughan should be playing in odi cricket, hes avearge, but i would like 2 captains, one for odi, and one for test but its not the usual thing to do nowadays. His odi form has never been impressive, not its not good enough for someone with his ability and test record.

but which player is good enough 1st to replace him then another player whos as good as captain?
Old June 6, 2005, 12:09 PM
ODI Cricketer

Vaughan is statistically the worst captain for batting in one day cricket.

He has the flair and the amount of shots to register at least a couple of hundreds, but I can't see his average ever getting much higher than 32 or so.

As an England fan, Vaughan is ever so frustrating. We know how well he can play and how talented he is, but his edge of the bat has become a magnet for the ball now.

His test record is good though in fairness. Average off 45, 14 hundreds, 12 50's in 57 matches. However, his average after the last Ashes series where he carted the Aussies for 3 hundreds was about 55. Thats a decrease of 10
Old June 6, 2005, 12:23 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

This is the current ranking of LG ICC test batsmen:

1 Brian Lara WI

2 Jacques Kallis SA

3 Rahul Dravid IND

4 Ricky Ponting AUS

5 Virender Sehwag IND

6 Damien Martyn AUS

7 Adam Gilchrist AUS

8 Shivnarine Chanderpaul WI

9 Inzamam-ul-Haq PAK

10 Graeme Smith SA

Do I see any English player? I guess not. Truly how good an English Batsman plays such as Tresco, Strauss, Vaughan, Bell they can never top the recordable places which is so easily captured by Australia, Sub-continent or WI players.
Old June 6, 2005, 01:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

I would prefer to say it's not all about personal records, its about team success.

I would much rather have a team of batsman averaging in the 40's or there abouts and work together that have one batsman like Lara in the WI team who averages over 50 and is a world beater, and the team still regularly loses.

The fact is that England these days regularly register 350+ in first innings and punish all poor bowling peformances, and win games. Thats all that matters. Crickets a team sport, not an individual sport.

The individual rankings I take no notice of, the team rankings where England are 2nd tell the story.

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 6:46 PM GMT, by rob22888.
Old June 6, 2005, 02:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

You are blatantly escaping the fact that besides the success of your batsmen in getting runs, there is some exclusively individual performances from your bowlers specially Flintoff and Harmison. They both are top ranked. It is really amazing to see how the West Indies ran out of Ambroses and England who never thought of having quality fast bowlers is now producing tit's for all those humilating tats for years. So, without such bowlers it could be a lot of run but might not be a match winner most of the time! I think English cricketers are too orthodox. I am waiting for the Ashes also to see the true capacities of current British batsmen against Aussies bowling. That would be the justifying ticker of their aggressiveness.

By the way if you are in GMT when do you go to bed....just kidding..:P

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 7:15 PM GMT, by One World.

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 7:32 PM GMT, by One World.
Reason: Ghostly Typo
Old June 6, 2005, 02:18 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Smith and Rudolph also made 200 hundreds against Bangladesh so , who cares about Bell ? This thread shouldn't be at Banglacricket forum ..
Old June 6, 2005, 02:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

i will stick my neck out and say that Bell will average more than 40 in the upcoming Ashes series. He is the perfect number 4 for England. Calm at the crease, great temperament, comfortable against pace and plays straight. The only question I have now is about his ability to counterattack Warne.If he becomes Warne's bunny then his place in the team will come into question.But I have no doubts whatsoever that Ian Bell is one for the future for England.

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 7:48 PM GMT, by roaring tigerz.
Old June 6, 2005, 02:29 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Howbout "Micheal Clarke" this guy avg more than hundred after playing 6 test matches mate and Also at home and away in both ....... and again Clarke's avg gone down a lot now ............ Bell is still new so , his avg will go down too ......simple as this ......

Has Bell played 6 yet ?

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 7:32 PM GMT, by Bangla amar Maa.
Old June 6, 2005, 02:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

First mods, could you move this to International board?

I don't think Bells international career would be over he was Warnes bunny, lets face it pretty much all England batsmen are Warnes bunny.

Plenty of top class batsman have come unstuck against Warne.

I think you should remember that England players spend most of their time playing in difficult damp conditions in England. Wheras Australian players play in the sun a lot in good batting conditions.

I am not going to get worked up over Bell making a hundred against Bangladesh, although I think he is a much better player than Rudoplh will ever be, you should hang your head in shame for letting him make 222* against you.

Clarke also is a special talent. I see it as Clarkes unproven in damp conditions like in England and New Zealand whereas Bell is unproven in dry places like the subcontient against quality spin bowling. Its far too early to start argueing over who is better.
Old June 6, 2005, 02:55 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rob22888
I think he is a much better player than Rudoplh will ever be, you should hang your head in shame for letting him make 222* against you.
That's a great comment so , should i comment on something too ......... it just reminds me "Brian Lara" made 350+ against England not once it's twice . Also one of them is 400 ....... i don't think English fans should be ashmed of that at all .... It's all part of cricket mate . so , who cares !!!!

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 7:56 PM GMT, by Bangla amar Maa.
Old June 6, 2005, 03:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Well in fairness you may of let Rudoplh make 222 against you, England let Agarkar make 100 against them.

That was very embarrasing
Old June 6, 2005, 03:16 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

in my opinion, when on song, Brian Lara is the best batsman ever seen in the history of cricket. no other batsman, since the beginning of test cricket, has had this much flair, strokes, destructiveness, and match winning abilities (the list goes on and on). then again, he IS brian lara. the arrogant one.

going back to Bell, he's been a prodigy in the making for a while. i really think he's the next big thing for england.

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 8:17 PM GMT, by shovon13.
Old June 6, 2005, 03:20 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by shovon13
in my opinion, when on song, Brian Lara is the best batsman ever seen in the history of cricket. no other batsman, since the beginning of test cricket, has had this much flair, strokes, destructiveness, and match winning abilities (the list goes on and on). then again, he IS brian lara. the arrogant one.

going back to Bell, he's been a prodigy in the making for a while. i really think he's the next big thing for england.

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 8:17 PM GMT, by shovon13.

Yeah you can talk on the other way too . Team like England , Bangladesh and others helped him to become a superstar . No one becomes the Star in one day but anyway no one can forget that 400 against England by Brian Lara this guy also deserve to have "Sir" before his name ......
Old June 6, 2005, 03:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

hahahaha....are you kidding me? come on, brian lara hasn't had that much success against bangladesh. and england is the second best team in the world right now.

but besides that, lara has messed up all the teams, not just a couple. ask australia.

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 8:25 PM GMT, by shovon13.
Old June 6, 2005, 03:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Bangla amar Maa

Yeah you can talk on the other way too . Team like England , Bangladesh and others helped him to become a superstar .
BaM, you have a very unique angle to look at things. Initially, I was crying to Mods to ban you again, but now I realized your presence makes this board more enjoyable. Thank you
Old June 6, 2005, 03:29 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by shovon13
hahahaha....are you kidding me? come on, brian lara hasn't had that much success against bangladesh. and england is the second best team in the world right now.

but besides that, lara has messed up all the teams, not just a couple. ask australia.

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 8:25 PM GMT, by shovon13.
I thought Lara made fastest 100 in 44 balls against Bangladesh .....

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 9:17 PM GMT, by Bangla amar Maa.