facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 6, 2007, 01:58 PM
Banned

Default World Cup 2011: Pakistan to push for a shorter World Cup

Pakistan to push for a shorter World Cup
Cricinfo staff
December 6, 2007

The Pakistan board feels World Cup 2007 failed to live up to expectations due to its long duration © AFP

A meeting between the host nations for World Cup 2011 - Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh - is to take place in Bangalore this week with Pakistan pushing for a shorter and more practical format for the tournament. The meeting, to take place on the sidelines of the third Test between India and Pakistan, will have PCB officials proposing a format featuring 14 teams, with a duration of five weeks.

"We want to have a relatively smaller World Cup in 2011 both in terms of participating teams and the number of days," Shafqat Naghmi, PCB's chief operating officer, told the News.

"The idea is to ensure that our World Cup doesn't have the sort of ingredients that affected this year's tournament in the West Indies," he said. The 2007 World Cup consisted of 16 teams with the event lasting over 50 days.

"We are least interested in the 2007 World Cup format because it has been seen that one bad day can end the World Cup for even the best of teams." India and Pakistan both exited after the first round of the tournament.

He said that the PCB was more interested in reverting to the format of the 2003 World Cup held in South Africa in which the 14 participating teams were divided into two groups.

"Such a format guarantees that each of the competing teams will get at least six matches in the competition. It will also guarantee that the tournament will take less days to finish," he said, adding that long duration was of the biggest reasons why the 2007 World Cup failed to live up to expectations.

According to Naghmi, another format under consideration would guarantee second-round places for the world's top eight teams while the bottom-placed six teams will compete in the opening round.

"This is our second option though such a format would give the World Cup a slow start with only the lower-ranked teams playing in the initial days. The ICC will have the final say on the World Cup format but we believe if the host boards agree on a unified stand then they [ICC] will also give its approval."

Board officials from the four countries will be meeting on December 7 and 8 before being joined by an ICC representative on December 9.

© Cricinfo

http://content-pak.cricinfo.com/ci/c...ry/324067.html

Old December 6, 2007, 02:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Not a bad idea...I guess.
Even 5 weeks is too long for my liking.
Old December 6, 2007, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Oh so now they need six games each to be able to qualify, eh? Even the soccer world cup had four teams in a group, I don't see them crying about it. When you're at the world cup, you can't afford to have a bad day, period.

Besides, I'm not sure why a loss to Sri Lanka or the West Indies wouldn't count as a bad day.
Old December 6, 2007, 03:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

longer hole amader desher jonnoi valo.. onek taka aai korte parbe..
Old December 6, 2007, 03:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

No matter what format they set 2nd round is beyond their (Pakistan) reach. - Mark this post. Date it. Prove me wrong when the time comes. In 2003 they could not reach the second round either.

Unless they get a free ticket to the second round, no way they can reach there.
Old December 6, 2007, 05:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mash & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by aventis
According to Naghmi, another format under consideration would guarantee second-round places for the world's top eight teams while the bottom-placed six teams will compete in the opening round.

"This is our second option though such a format would give the World Cup a slow start with only the lower-ranked teams playing in the initial days.

© Cricinfo
Absoultely RIDICULOUS. India is proving that Bangladesh is their 1st enemy after pakistan. cause, we kicked them outta WC'07 from 1st round. What are they trying to prove? i think they are making this point that they could be outta tournament from 1st round again. and Naghmi's format is total $H!T. If they wanna make it short then they can start KNOCK-OUT format from 2nd round. Or make 4 groups with 4 team/3 teams then 2 top teams from each group will play for quater-finals then semi-finals and finally the final. it's so easy. why they are making it so funny and proving them COWARDS. We, little boys are much more brave than them(We're TIGERS.may be that's the reason).
Old December 6, 2007, 05:14 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash,Shakib,Dhiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megh
Absoultely RIDICULOUS. India is proving that Bangladesh is their 1st enemy after pakistan. cause, we kicked them outta WC'07 from 1st round. What are they trying to prove? i think they are making this point that they could be outta tournament from 1st round again. and Naghmi's format is total $H!T. If they wanna make it short then they can start KNOCK-OUT format from 2nd round. Or make 4 groups with 4 team/3 teams then 2 top teams from each group will play for quater-finals then semi-finals and finally the final. it's so easy. why they are making it so funny and proving them COWARDS. We, little boys are much more brave than them(We're TIGERS.may be that's the reason).
India and Pakistan
Old December 6, 2007, 05:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I thought the WC2007 was short for both INDIA and PAKISTAN. so what r they complaining about?

Yeah they should make the 2nd round knock out like soccer and be done with it...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 6, 2007, 06:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
I thought the WC2007 was short for both INDIA and PAKISTAN. so what r they complaining about?

Yeah they should make the 2nd round knock out like soccer and be done with it...
lollllllllllllllll...good one.

who cares? we have to do what we have to do, let the arrogants make their own beds of humiliation.

lets all remember that australia (a great team along other "greats" like india and pakistan) somehow got through to the 2nd round and won the whole tourney. oh and so did the lankans, the saffers, the kiwis, the pommies, and windies.

whiners will always complain.

wow that naghimi is really a snake that needs to be crushed with this terrible ideas.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

Bull$hit!! Absolutely Pathetic!! What loosers!!
Old December 6, 2007, 08:24 PM
BC Editorial Team

Ok - we all know that this is sore loser-ship at its worst. Can we please strive to maintain a PG rated forum? Substituting letters to get past auto-filters isn't quite in the spirit of things.

Mod
Old December 6, 2007, 08:34 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
No matter what format they set 2nd round is beyond their (Pakistan) reach. - Mark this post. Date it. Prove me wrong when the time comes. In 2003 they could not reach the second round either.

Unless they get a free ticket to the second round, no way they can reach there.
Well said Iagree with you. They are not as good as they used to be. Although they are producing some good young players once they break in to the Test team some how their performance dips.

Just few examples below
Imran Nazir,Salman Butt,Yaseer Hamid, Faisal Iqbal, Mohammad Hafeez

Above mentioned names are few promising top order batsmen for Pakistan but have not lived up to the full expectation yet. All of them had good start or played one or two good innings here and there but they are not consistent.
Somehow the current Pakistan team does not have the hunger to succeed like Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis or Miandad.
Old December 6, 2007, 09:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Ok - we all know that this is sore loser-ship at its worst. Can we please strive to maintain a PG rated forum? Substituting letters to get past auto-filters isn't quite in the spirit of things.

Mod
With all due respect, if this is referring directly to me, all I have to say in my defense is that I haven't used anything terrible. It sure is slang, but it isn't a "bad word" as kindergarten kids would like to call it... lol
Worse has been said and accepted as normal in this forum on a regular basis in both Bangla and English.
If it isn't a comment directed at me alone, its all good, just ignore this.
-Thanks
Old December 6, 2007, 10:59 PM

In WC 2003 format, some people thought they were forced to watch some 'ugly' matches, which didn't make enough money. Later the idea of WC 2007 format was to kick out 'ugly' team early, but instead some 'sexy' team got disappear. Now they are desperate to find some other way, but I afraid they have to accept somewhere in between the reality of 'ugliness' as well as 'less money' since sports is concern.
Old December 6, 2007, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Absoultely RIDICULOUS. India is proving that Bangladesh is their 1st enemy after pakistan. cause, we kicked them outta WC'07 from 1st round. What are they trying to prove?
Actually, what Naghmi doesn't realize is that by 2011, rankings might be such that India and Pakistan may have to battle it out in the first round while we get a free ticket to the second. So in a way - knowingly or not - he's right when he says that the weaker teams will play more during the initial phases of the tournament.
Old December 7, 2007, 03:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

CA joins with PCB in terms of shorter WC20011

cricinfo report
Old December 7, 2007, 11:43 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Im all up for a shorter World Cup.
Last one was indeed quite a lengthy one.

To me, the 1992 format was the best, where everyone played everyone else in a single group format, and the top 4 playing the semis.

With almost 14-16 teams, not sure if would be a viable option next time around.
2 groups of 7-8 each not a bad idea.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 7, 2007, 12:16 PM
Cricket Guru

I think it's a good idea to have a qualifying round for teams ranked 9-16 (hopefully Bangladesh won't be one of them by 2011) and take top four from that round to main tournament. This way associate teams get to challenge lower ranked full members while the main tournament does not get cluttered with some associate teams (likes of Canada and Bermuda) who are out of their depth to play at this level.

The main tournament should have two groups of six teams for the first round with champion and runners-up of each group directly going to semifinal stage. Addition of super league (super six or super eight) lengthened the world cup and I think it should be scrapped.
Old December 7, 2007, 12:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Not making it to next level really stung them ( Ind and Pak ).
Old December 7, 2007, 12:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Megh .. where does India come into picture in here ? This system was mooted by Pakistan...so it being directed towards BD from India is unwarrented.

I would say this is once again misdirected anger towards India for nothing ...
Old December 7, 2007, 01:44 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
Megh .. where does India come into picture in here ? This system was mooted by Pakistan...so it being directed towards BD from India is unwarrented.

thank you.
Old December 7, 2007, 02:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Best way to make a shorter World Cup is to make Pakistan and India play Ireland in Ireland.

Lose and go home, boyos.
Old December 7, 2007, 07:34 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
The ICC will have the final say on the World Cup format but we believe if the host boards agree on a unified stand then they [ICC] will also give its approval.
thats right, pakistan's faggot in chief and his demeaning ideas will be destroyed because BCB is one of the host board's!

of course pak may well be a "lower ranked" team by the next world cup as mentioned earlier!

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 7, 2007, 07:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ

Mod
Sorry for that word MOD. But those indians and pakis deserve that kinda word. and we couldn't find any similar good-type words for that.
Old December 7, 2007, 07:47 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
In WC 2003 format, some people thought they were forced to watch some 'ugly' matches, which didn't make enough money. Later the idea of WC 2007 format was to kick out 'ugly' team early, but instead some 'sexy' team got disappear. Now they are desperate to find some other way, but I afraid they have to accept somewhere in between the reality of 'ugliness' as well as 'less money' since sports is concern.
Dude, that's a hard one. hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Actually, what Naghmi doesn't realize is that by 2011, rankings might be such that India and Pakistan may have to battle it out in the first round while we get a free ticket to the second. So in a way - knowingly or not - he's right when he says that the weaker teams will play more during the initial phases of the tournament.
I wish it would be like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat

Okey my mistake. I meant india and pakistan. Obviously pakistan didn't say it by themself. they discussed with you guys. Anywayz i am sorry if i meant only India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
Best way to make a shorter World Cup is to make Pakistan and India play Ireland in Ireland.

Lose and go home, boyos.

Absolute crakcker. hahahahaha