facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Should ICC ban the switch handed reverse slog sweep?
Yes 1 6.25%
No 15 93.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 16, 2008, 05:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell
Default Should ICC ban the switch handed reverse slog sweep?

England batsman Kevin Pietersen is in the limelight yet again. This time for cricketing reason. The "reverse slog sweep" he played left handed in the first ODI against Newzeland has drawn a lot of criticism. Many want this shot to be banned because it's unfair for the bowler and fielding captain who set up fielding knowing the "handedness" of the batsman and the same switching of hand for a bowler is not allowed. Bowlers argue that rules should be the same for all involved meaning if a bowler cannot enjoy the freedom of changing hand and side without telling the umpire, batsman should not have that liberty either. The balance between bat and ball becomes tainted otherwise. If a batsman changes both the stance and the grip to play a shot ie. reverse slog sweep after/about when the ball is delivered the batsman has a huge advantage as he can hit in the side which has less fielders and shorter in distance. When asked KP said he this shot should not be banned because he feels it is well within the rules and it had been played for a long time. Daniel Vettori said he doesn't mind it so long as the umpires are more flexible with the "wide" zone, and the lbw.
I thought that stroke of Pietersen was a hall mark of a genius and an index of measurement for his talent. I really wonder what Scott Styris thought of that shot?
What do you guys think? Should this version of sweep be banned?

Last edited by Ishtylish cricketer; June 21, 2008 at 07:41 AM..

Old June 16, 2008, 06:24 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

No they should not.
They should allow the bowlers to switch to make it even contest for both batsmen and bowlers If they feel it is unfair to bowler because they are not allowed to switch when they bowl.
Old June 16, 2008, 06:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

I think this should not be allowed at all..Firstly its unfair on the opposition and 2ndly if it is allowed, allowing bowlers to switch hands as well would just be ridiculus and would add a whole new dimension to the game of mind games n ultra stupidity in my opinion and things should just remain be as be since invention of cricket.
Old June 16, 2008, 07:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

is it any less fair than say facing a bowler like mendis who bowls leggys and offys whenever he pleases? shouldn't batsmen be able to know what type of style of bowling they're facing each ball? you could introduce them as "mystery" spinners/bowlers but then if they do that then batsman should be introduced as mystery batsmen and be able to change hands and/or stance whenever they want.

also the reverse sweep has it's advantages as a fielding side as well. unless the batsman practices it hours on end in the nets they're not that use to making contact with the ball in that manner, plus they have to change hands in the first place which takes time away from the batsman. the fielding team probably has more chance of getting a batsman out when they play the reverse sweep than when they don't.

the current rules on reverse sweep don't bother me, but the shot really isn't played that often so banning it wouldn't make too much of a difference i don't think.
Old June 16, 2008, 07:39 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Well spotted Gowza.
I cant see why the big fuss bowler (styris) clearly saw pieterson changed his stance and bowled on his leg stump (of stump when KP switched) and gave him enough room to hit the ball out of the park. He should have stick to his original off stump line and if KP missed umpire would not call it wide.
Old June 16, 2008, 11:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

also what about batsmen who walk across their crease? that's changing their stance and plenty of players do that. changing of the grip i can certainly see as being an issue but you can always bring up the point that bowlers are allowed to change their grip on the ball so why shouldn't batsmen be able to change their grip?

bowlers have just as many things if not more that they can do to trick/unnerve the batsmen e.g. bowling from a different angle, different pace, different grip, different style.

not that i'm necessarily saying they shouldn't ban this but i think there's more to think about than just saying it's unfair to change from right to left handed for batsmen when bowlers can't. there are plenty of things bowlers can do that you could say are unfair, same as batsmen. i mean is it really fair that batsmen can walk out of their crease to hit the ball but bowlers have to bowl from the line? not really but that's just part of the game (same as the things i mentioned above about bowlers).
Old June 16, 2008, 11:51 PM
Test Cricketer

What about the wide issue? If a righty turns lefty what's wide and what's not wide or legal? If the bowler picks up the batsman switching hands and decides to bowl a delivery well wide off the pads of the turned left hander who normally bats right handed, would that be called a wide? What's wide in that situation?
Old June 17, 2008, 12:37 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Why should it be banned? Why do people want too much controlled a game? Innovations and improvisations are the pleasure of every game, why u want to make a real game look like a computer game?

The fielding team captain has the flexibility to place his fielders for that. And let the bowlers look for improvizations to make the shot risky.
Old June 17, 2008, 02:45 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishtylish cricketer
What about the wide issue? If a righty turns lefty what's wide and what's not wide or legal? If the bowler picks up the batsman switching hands and decides to bowl a delivery well wide off the pads of the turned left hander who normally bats right handed, would that be called a wide? What's wide in that situation?
Even now wide takes into account the position of the batsman when the ball reaches him. A ball a foot outside the leg-stump is normally a wide, but if the batsman had backed up two feet outside the leg, the umpire wouldn't call it. The adjustment of the wide calls for the altered stance should just be an extension of it.

Second thoughts - Not that simple. A proper ball outside the off stump should not be called a wide just because the batsman turned around and became a left-hander at the right time ! Perhaps, it should be called a wide only if it wide in the batsman's normal as well as new stance ?

Last edited by Tintin; June 17, 2008 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: counter-argument
Old June 17, 2008, 08:08 AM
Cricket Legend

It is a trivial issue. Why they did not ban googly, dusra or famed reverse swing. Batsmen always faced dilema facing these types of balls as those deceived the batsmen as balls direction is complete opposite of the general directon of the type of bowlers. If so called Guardians want a fair contest of bat and ball, let the power play reduced to 10 overs or flexible powerplay. But I would prefer six bouncers should be allowed. If you are good enough batsman you could hook or pull; if you are just a pretender you would be caught
Old June 17, 2008, 11:36 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The only issue I have is the change of ruling in calling wide. In the middle of the bowlers stride if the batsman swtiches position to get an advantage of leg side fielding gaps to off side fielding gaps then wides shouldn't be called if the ball goes by the (new) leg side (original off side). The Captain of the fielding team has to make that call on how to set fielding on players who can switch sides.
Old June 17, 2008, 11:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

If a batsman is capable of doing something, some get happy...and some, as you can see, call for the batsman to be stopped from playing to his potential.

What a joke!

Anway, I agree with Mijan bhai here.
Old June 17, 2008, 03:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

I never seen any player apart from Pietersen playing this shot and hitting sixes. it would have been really stupid if ICC banned it
Old June 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
Test Cricketer

What about lbw? What's outside off and outside leg?
Old June 17, 2008, 09:56 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Is this serious ? If it is, than ICC has simply too much time in their hands.

As for the poll: No ban for Kevin. Yes 'ban' for all the Bangladeshi pretenders (they look awkward and mostly manage to get out playing any sort of reverse sweep).
Old June 18, 2008, 12:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
What about lbw? What's outside off and outside leg?
LBW, Wide etc everything is in relation to BM's original stance !
Old June 19, 2008, 06:57 AM
Test Cricketer

I want to see someone bowl a bouncer when the batsman's trying to switch grip and bat the ball out of the park. It may still go for 4, but I would like to see how KP would deal with it?
Old June 19, 2008, 08:52 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I want to see someone bowl a bouncer when the batsman's trying to switch grip and bat the ball out of the park. It may still go for 4, but I would like to see how KP would deal with it?

Specially if that is well directed around the chest !!
Old June 21, 2008, 02:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
Even now wide takes into account the position of the batsman when the ball reaches him. A ball a foot outside the leg-stump is normally a wide, but if the batsman had backed up two feet outside the leg, the umpire wouldn't call it. The adjustment of the wide calls for the altered stance should just be an extension of it.

Second thoughts - Not that simple. A proper ball outside the off stump should not be called a wide just because the batsman turned around and became a left-hander at the right time ! Perhaps, it should be called a wide only if it wide in the batsman's normal as well as new stance ?
I believe in a case like this, the batsman should not get the benefit of leg side wide at all. The moment you change hand, irrespective of which side the ball is bowled, it should be called a wide only if it goes past the wide mark. Since the batsman is playing around, there should be something at stake as well.

I do not see any reason why the shot should not be allowed. Improvisations/innovations are always welcome.
Old June 21, 2008, 06:53 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Some of my friends at TRIKON are duly concerned about all this switch-hitting phobia.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 22, 2008, 03:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Ian Chappel is a strong advocate for banning switch. Here is his detailed reasoning for that: The problem with switch-hitting

Quote:
It is unfair to ask bowlers to say beforehand how they are going to operate and then not subject batsmen to the same rule
But I agree with the above, the bowlers could be given the freedom to change hands. Why not ?
Old June 22, 2008, 03:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Ian Chappel is a strong advocate for banning switch. Here is his detailed reasoning for that: The problem with switch-hitting

But I agree with the above, the bowlers could be given the freedom to change hands. Why not ?
Why don't they give the bowlers permission to switch arm and maintain the line and length
Old July 10, 2008, 04:49 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim & Waqar

The bowler has the right to abort his runup if he feels put off by what the batsman is doing.

as someone who bats left or right handed,
and bowls left or right handed

i feel its unfair to penalise innovation.
my strength is bowling tho (6/13)
and i would have no problem getting hit for six like that

it would make me smile to see it happen off my bowling
Old July 11, 2008, 10:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Some of my friends at TRIKON are duly concerned about all this switch-hitting phobia.
ha ha nice one..

I would like to see a bowler charging in, then right before delivery, if he has the ability to do so, switch delivery hand.
Old July 11, 2008, 02:31 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim & Waqar

Quote:
I would like to see a bowler charging in, then right before delivery, if he has the ability to do so, switch delivery hand.
yes you have to decide before you run up which hand you are going to bowl with, and the style should make it obvious which hand you are going to use.

when i bowl with my wrong hand its only gentle right arm spinners or stock medium pace. nothing half as scary as my left hand lightning strikes

it only works once in a game. after that they know what you are up to.