facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 15, 2003, 03:42 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Bangladesh

Hi everyone,

I'm from Yorkshire in England, and have been a cricket fan for about 14 years.

I think it's great that Bangladesh are a test-playing country now, it can only help the game. I'd personally like to see more teams given test status, such as Kenya, Holland etc.

I would like to know a little more about cricket in Bangladesh, we don't seem to get that information in England. Is crickets popularity on the increase in Bangladesh ?

I wonder if anyone could tell me about the leagues. how many teams and divisions are there, and are the games well attended ?

Old June 15, 2003, 06:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Welcome to the board.

Unlike Kenya or Holland, cricket has been a major sport in Bangladesh for a long time (since East Pakistan days) and we have a fan base of tens of millions of people.

Hang around here more often. You will learn more about us by doing that.
Old June 15, 2003, 06:27 PM
Cricket Legend

BTW why did you pick march 29,1973 as your birthday?
Old June 15, 2003, 07:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

linet.lark:

Welcome to this message board where Bangladesh cricket fans get together!
Thanks for your interest in Bangladesh Cricket.
Cricket is being played in Bangladesh for many years now, as you know the game of cricket was introduced to Indian Subcontinent by British. As part of the subcontinent, Bangladesh was no different. Unfortunately, cricket could not gain popularity for many reasons as we would hoped for during Pakistan era, when we were part of Pakistan. After independence in 1971 from West Pakistan, East Pakistan became known as Bangladesh. After several hiccups, cricket established itself in Bangladesh sports deeply and gaining popularity ever since. As a matter of fact, cricket is the most popular game in Bangladesh now. Football (soccer) placed second now. I am not going into details how cricket structure was in Bangladesh before becoming 10th Test playing nation. I will be discussing only about the present situation.
Bangladesh as a country, has 64 Districts (roughly comparable to English Counties), this 64 Districts are part of 6 Administrative Divisions namely Dhaka, Chittagong, Rajshahi, Khulna, Barisal and Sylhet. This 6 divisions are part of National League (First Class) who plays 'home and away' one 4 day match followed by one 1 Day match with each other. The 64 Districts play in National Championship (50 Overs match) divided in groups in different zones.
And then we have Cricket leagues organized by different Districts, Divisions, Cities, Schools as well as U-19, U-17, U15 and U-13 tournaments.
The prestigious of all is Dhaka Metropolitan Cricket League. This League mainly the bread and butter for local cricketers.
This cricket league (composed of clubs and office teams) is divided in 4 Divisions: Premier Division, First Division, Second Division and Third Division played in 'promotion' and 'relegation' basis. Premier and First Divisions were really the part of First Division like English counties. There were 20 teams in First Division. Since the number of clubs were too many, BCB made it 2 tier league. Upper 10 teams play in Premier and Lower 10 teams play in First Division. Each year 2 teams from Premier Division relegate to First Division and 2 Teams from First Division promotes to Premier Division.
Except Premier Division teams, other divisions play only 50 overs matches.
From this year (2002-2003), Premier Division teams play 2 tournaments, one 4 day tournament and one 1 day tournament for championship.
Other cities also have their own cricket leagues.
I hope I could give you some idea about Bangladesh cricket. Should you have more questions, please feel free to ask in the board, we will be more than happy to help you.

[Edited on 6-16-2003 by Nascer]

Old June 16, 2003, 01:51 AM
Street Cricketer

Nascer, thanks for that fantastic reply. I understand now more about the structure of cricket in Bangladesh, and it sounds wonderful.

As you probably know, we've just introduced 20 over cricket in England, I hope that catches on in Bangladesh as well, it's a fantastic way of promoting cricket.

I'm very envious of any country who has cricket as their number one sport, because it will never be like that here in rainy England.

To Arnab: I didn't choose 29th of march 1973 as my birthday, my parents did :-)
Why do you ask ?

Old June 16, 2003, 07:27 AM
Cricket Legend

My bad, I meant 1793. That's what it says in your profile.
Old June 16, 2003, 08:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Linnet.lark,

To be completely frank, the 20 over cricket tournament (Twenty20 Cup) will be a bad thing for Bangladeshi cricket. We are actually too used to playing one day cricket. Our players lack shot selection and are generally too impatient in Test Matches, which is why we don't usually last past the 3rd Day. What we need are more 3 and 4 day games so that our players get a chance to improve their temperament and learn some patience.

As for England, I think the Twenty20 Cup is a smart move because it will increase cricket's popularity, which is hardly the problem here. We have a cricket mad population. Now only if our team could start competing with the other Test sides.

Anyway, welcome to the board. I hope you will stick around and support our team.
Old June 16, 2003, 11:18 AM
ODI Cricketer

Welcome to the board, Linnet.lark,

I think the 20Twenty (or is it Twenty20) cup is a great idea in England. I am looking forward to what everyone says after the competetion is over.

In angladesh the need for such things really inst there. We usually have a full house (or close to it) in ODIs. In fact if we could have 90Ninety cup (where two innings are played over two days - each team batting 90 ovs) that would be a more productive thing! Its the test matches that are badly atteneded only because we play so poorly.
Old June 16, 2003, 12:24 PM
Street Cricketer

Thanks for all the replies guys.

In my honest opinion, Bangladesh will become a good side. The most important thing is to have a good league system, which you do, and a good following which you also have. What you need now is two or three players to really come through and shine, and I don't think that's going to take too long.

One thing I would say is that when Bangladesh face the Aussies, it's important to come away with something. England played them in the Ashes, and got hammered, but i think our players improved because of it.

I for one would love to see Bangladesh take the fight to the Aussies, and after the tour you'll see a marked improvement in the Bangladesh cricket team.
Old June 16, 2003, 12:31 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Got a question?

linnet.lark,
Are you a Bangladeshi? or Got any Bangladdeshi background?
Old June 16, 2003, 01:54 PM
Street Cricketer

Hi ehsan,

No, I was born in a city called Hull in Yorkshire, England where i've lived all of my life.

I didn't pay much attention to cricket up until I was about 15/16 years old when my Dad encouraged me to sit down and watch a few games. From that point on, I was hooked.

I love all forms of cricket, and I have to watch it on the television, or listen to it on the radio at every opportunity, no matter who is playing. I am posting messages on this forum because I knew very little about Bangladeshi cricket, and I thought that it was about time that I educated myself.

I am all for making cricket as accessible as possible to everyone, and I think that it's great that it's got the following it has in Bangladesh because it truly is the best game in the world.
Old June 16, 2003, 02:10 PM
Cricket Legend

You're also a bird lover I presume.
Old June 16, 2003, 02:37 PM
Street Cricketer

Well, my next door neighbour is.

The name actually comes from a local establishment that I used to visit on a regular basis called 'The Linnet and Lark'.

When thinking about a login name, that was the natural choice.

It's kind of stuck really, I must get round to thinking of something a little more catchy.
Old June 16, 2003, 04:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Well most of us here go by our real first names. (Except piranha, pompous, sheshprohor, and some others) Seems pretty natural to me.

[Edited on 16-6-2003 by Arnab]
Old June 16, 2003, 08:47 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Whats in a name?!?! :P