facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 10, 2006, 06:16 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Change of attitude in Enamul Haque

I remember previously, Enamul used to show no expression after getting a wicket - like in the Zimbabwe series when he took 6 wickets and 7 wickets. His attitude was as if it was a normal thing for him to take wickets.

But now he seems to be toughened up a bit and seems to enjoy taking wickets and also, shows the expression, the joy of taking wickets. His attitude now is as if its a hard work taking wickets, which makes him feel great.

May be the years of not being able to get into the national side, and then not taking wickets in the last Sri Lankan tour, has helped him to mature a bit, what do you think?

Old March 10, 2006, 06:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

May be the expression of joy has changed.........but to be honest i am a bit (a little) dissapointed t with Enamul.......he came in the national team with great potential and after playing 9 test matches, he did not seem to improve a great deal.....he is same bowler as he was 2 years back.....players of his age should have imroved a lot more.....after having played for some time.

dont take my words negatively....i know there are players in the team who has improved less or gone backwards......but i expect really more from enamul......I hope he imrpoves more rapidly, concentrates more in his game and hope success does not kill his hunger for wickets, which is the main problem of our young players.

Edited on, March 10, 2006, 11:33 AM GMT, by yaseer.
Old March 10, 2006, 06:42 AM
First BC Member

I can understand your frustration. But since I did not see such potential in him from the start, so I don't have such high hopes out of him to improve, that's why I'm not too disappointed in him. We may have gone accustomed to the fact that every left arm spinner in our side will be like Rafique, but Test cricket is tough, and Enamul has not yet earned his place in our ODI team like Rafique had established himself in our ODI side before.
Old March 10, 2006, 07:06 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Its probably because he knows the difference between a Zimbabwean wicket and a SriLankan wicket. The later is sure to delight him much more than the first one.
Old March 10, 2006, 07:49 AM
Cricket Legend

I m really disappointed with enamul. He is turner of ball unlike Rafiq. So when I heard Rafiq turning ball, I thought he would be our ace. Murali getting 5, and SL tottering I thought he would turn the screw like any good spinner. But he failed miserbly. May be he has not that as good as we think. Too much hype. But definetly he has not improved.
Old March 10, 2006, 07:56 AM
First BC Member

Being able to turn the ball and taking wickets is two different things.

You need certain plans to take wickets and the captain, fielders' help in taking wickets.

But turning the ball is entirely the bowler's task.

Besides, this is why Muralidharan is a World Class spinner and our Enamul Haque is still yet to learn the art of being a World Class spinner.

And Rafique is nearing the end of his career - he's the most aged player in the Bangladesh side, with years of domestic experience behind him, not to mention over 10 years of experience in International cricket.
Old March 10, 2006, 08:16 AM
Forever Bangy

I can remember a time when Rafique was not nearly as good a bowler he is now. So if his improvement is any indication, we'll see Enamul do great things.

We hardly ever acknowledge this, but sometimes I think the fans aren't completely blameless for the cause of low confidence in our cricketers. We expect so much from them, just because people like Rahul Dravid or Glenn McGrath make it look so easy. Who cares if Enamul hasn't improved in two years, he deserves ten to prove his worth. I'm sick and tired of all this negativity and people calling for players and selectors heads all the time (though at this particular moment the selectors do need to be guillotined ). If you think about it, we put the players under most pressure. Not the media, not the board, not their families or themselves even - it's the fans, all 130 million of us. I think we need to become a little less obsessive or at least a little less expectant and allow for some crazy decisions and methods and yes, occasional stupid shots (not too many though). Five years is not a long time, whatever the bloody journos and washed up ex-cricketers say.
Old March 10, 2006, 08:20 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

nicely said Mona, this enamul guy is still inexperienced so we cannot expect him to bowl like Murali after just 9 tests... there are other players in the team who deserve more criticism... IMO, rafique may not have performed with the bowl, he made adaquate contribution as a lower-order batsman.. we have to keep faith in our players - if they work hard they'll form a much better team in another 5 years.
Old March 10, 2006, 09:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

yeah I would say rafique was a little more disappointing than enamul with the ball.... enamul got lots of turn and thats just the beginning..... he got what it takes... now if he can learn some addition things, he would be okay..... spinners get better with ages and thats a fact.....
Old March 14, 2006, 07:57 PM
Cricket Legend

*bashes his head on a desk*

Enamul is not yet 25 years old.

Off spinners can - and do - bowl until they are 40. Me, I dont expect them to have finished their apprenticeship until they are thirty.

He has talent, and he has time.

Ian Whitchurch
Old March 14, 2006, 10:54 PM
Test Cricketer

But does he have a good cricketing brain? Thinking about plans?

Or can you develop that over the years?
Old March 14, 2006, 11:08 PM
Cricket Legend

The mental nature of offspin bowling - when to bowl what line, when to take a three-, five- or seven step runup, when to toss it up and when to push it through - is a big part of why offspinners tend to develop late.

A young fast bowler can just bowl fast. A young legspinner can just turn it a mile in both directions. But an offie needs guile, and you dont get that overnight.

Ian Whitchurch
Old March 15, 2006, 04:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Dont any of you remember that enamul was the highest wicket taker in the 2004 U-19 World Cup?
I'm sure he'll do a lot better in the future,provided that he learns how to bat.With SLA allrounders all around,i believe it'll be very hard in the upcming years to secure a place in the team only with SLA.
Old March 15, 2006, 04:55 AM
Cricket Legend

I am sorry to tell a fact in harsh words that, fans and experts are different kind of things; fans are fans, not experts(in most cases). Enam was praised for his bowling by many cricket experts including his trainer McInnes. We must believe in our players. They are doing their best, i believe.
Old March 15, 2006, 05:46 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

hey guys...be patience...Enamul's rhythm was absent in BD-SL series...he wasnt in form....but there is no doubt dat...he is da REAL talent...he is gonna b da key bowler of us after Rafique's retirement...so let him b XPerienced....dont worry...he will get back his rhythm n form soon...just pray 4 him...

Edited on, March 15, 2006, 10:49 AM GMT, by KaaL-PurusH.
Old March 15, 2006, 07:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Enamul was groomed up much like how mushfiqur rahim is taken care after. So, we have high hopes with Enamul. Just give some time to realize that. We sometimes need to remind some of our players how valuable they are to our team. Just look how Murali is highlighted and praised before, during and after every tour of Sri Lanka. But, then again, Murali is Murali and Enamul is Enamul.

Edited on, March 15, 2006, 12:29 PM GMT, by BanglaCool.
Old March 15, 2006, 09:28 AM
Test Cricketer

Well well well.. I m bit surprised to see so many negatives about Enamul. To me .. Enamul is the only class act. Every spinner takes time and if u look into enamul career... He was also not given enough chances. He is truely an attacking bowler with more to get wicket than bowling tidy spells. In the entire England ,, he dint play any test or odi. He only played in two 3-day matches. IN two innigs. he did quite well against Surrey (took 3 wkts) and againt Notts. he just bowled 4 overs and got one wckt. In Sl tour, he didnt get any wicket.. but. U must remember, Sl Indan Pakis.. are best players against spin. So.. i dont see much negetive about him at all. He should be allowed to play the test more regularly. Rafiq is a great player for us.. but to me.. Enam is a much better quality bowler than Rafiq. I dont want to overestimate Enam.. but.. I sincetely believe that we have got a match winner in Enam within few years. He has all the armour he needs and will only flourish when he will be given enough channes. To make Enam record go bad. I must make bashr responsible for this. He is not the right kind of captain for players like Enam and Rajib. Trust me.. if Chacha was a captain of this team.. he would have used this two in much more effective way than bash. Its pity that.. Chacha really didnt have much to offer in terms of his batting/bowling and thus justifies his exclusion.

When I look to these new generation bowlers.. I already see a diffennce than older generation. They are more aggresive and agile to do well and they are all so young. if we just keep our faith in Enam a little longer.. we will be able to see excellent performance from them. Trust me.. players liek Enam will not born too often in bangladesh.
Old March 15, 2006, 06:00 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by IanW
The mental nature of offspin bowling - when to bowl what line, when to take a three-, five- or seven step runup, when to toss it up and when to push it through - is a big part of why offspinners tend to develop late.

A young fast bowler can just bowl fast. A young legspinner can just turn it a mile in both directions. But an offie needs guile, and you dont get that overnight.

Ian Whitchurch
Quick, repost this on my Mushfiqu Rahim thread response where I was forced to drag baseball analgoies because I could not find anyone else to corraborate my assertions
Old March 15, 2006, 06:09 PM
BC Editorial Team

Sigh, sometimes I think our players need to take steroids to develop at the pace some of the fans would like.

Ian is on the money about finger spinner's maturity process. I said it before but the order of time taken to mature, in increasing order goes this way: fast bowler, batsmen, spinner.

BTW, Enam was already bowling better than the away series with SL. In SL, he was trying out something different each ball - which happens often with a talented young bowler who can do many things with the ball. By this series tho, you could see that he was trying to set up some traps - against the tailenders, he was bowling straightish with the occasional big turners thrown in.

The thing Enam needs to work on is his approach for right handers. Against left handed batsmen, he was getting close to the stumps, getting drift and some rippers - I mean he got the ball to turn square off the right-hand bowler's footmarks against the southpaws. On the other hand with right hand batsmen, he is coming off too wide of the crease and the drift that that almost makes the ball an inswinger was not quite there.
Old March 15, 2006, 06:44 PM
Club Cricketer

Old March 16, 2006, 04:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: sreesanth

"Enamul used to show no expression after getting a wicket"
Apa Eita Ki kon?

:cool2:
Old March 16, 2006, 05:40 AM
Street Cricketer

Everybody should remember something about spin bowlers. It takes almost 3-4 years for any spinner to realize and understand their own potential. It is a lot different than pace bowling where a lot of brute force comes in to action. That's why it is easier to understand why young pacers are more successful than young spinners unless you revolutionize the game with something new. That’s why Saqlain is an exception. He introduced "DUSRA" in spin bowling.

Spin bowling is harder than bowling pace because Batsman has more time to whack the ball if you are not bowling in perfect line. You can not learn and bowl with a perfect line after just ten tests. It takes a lot longer and a lot more of first class cricket to become a true strike bowler. After you bowl day in day out, you really become a great test bowler as you realize what your real strength is. This is why bowlers such as Murali and Warne started to bowl with so much venom at about 3rd and 4th years of test cricket.