facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 11, 2007, 09:16 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal, Ashraful
Default What we achieved from the ENG loss

As much hurt I am from the defeat, I am looking at all the positive things that came out of this game and begining to feel relieved:

1. We have more than one batsman we can count on - not just Ashraful - to take charge. Saqib was excellent. Dileep Premachandran has a nice article for him: "Saqibul stands tall"

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc20...ry/290076.html

2. Our bowlers are simply world class. ENG just got lucky.

3. ENG is equal if not lower quality to us. I feel that cricinfo is more pleased with BD than ENG with all its writeups, and for good reasons.

4. Naseer U. thinks that BD needs to learn how to bat on bouncy pitch. I challenge him that if ENG plays a three day series with us on this pitch or anywhere else, we will crush them. ENG won because they won the toss - simply out of luck. Nothing more.

Old April 11, 2007, 09:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Well I wouldn't listen to others to judge, but yah Sakib was good to watch and he might have boosted his own confidence and also average with that knock.

I think the toss was a factor, yes, but apart from Tamim and Ashraful I didn't see any other wicket falling from a very good ball. It was poor batting all around, we only have ourselves to blame. Our bowlers put up a heck of a fight but we can't always depend on them. Rather than focusing on each player I think we should focus on the things that we can learn from this match and improve in future for the bette.r
Old April 11, 2007, 11:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

Well..i agree with most part.. but i appreciate Hussein's advice. Not just us..even INDIANS need to learn how to bad on bouncy pitch..Laxmansivaramakrishanan himself said that.

We'll move on and do good against Ireland & W.I, Inshallah.
Old April 11, 2007, 11:03 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
Well I wouldn't listen to others to judge, but yah Sakib was good to watch and he might have boosted his own confidence and also average with that knock.

I think the toss was a factor, yes, but apart from Tamim and Ashraful I didn't see any other wicket falling from a very good ball. It was poor batting all around, we only have ourselves to blame. Our bowlers put up a heck of a fight but we can't always depend on them. Rather than focusing on each player I think we should focus on the things that we can learn from this match and improve in future for the bette.r
Well said... at the same time todays pitch was not a familiar track for our players. All the critics have acknowledged that this has been tailored to favor West Indies.
Old April 11, 2007, 11:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

I think BD team should have learnt their lesson that it is very Imp to play the full 50 overs .What would have happened to Eng if they had a score of around 200.BD can't blame pitch, they themselves played poorly and few shots played by the Bd batsmen were totally unnecessary .
Old April 12, 2007, 12:10 AM

Here are some negatives ...

1. We lost the chance of semifinal breath in WC FIRST EVER in our cricket history.
2. We lost the chance of pushing up our ODI ranking.
3. We lost the chance of seal critics mouth for ever.
4. We lost the chance of taking revenge on ENG, being thrashed by them all these days.
5. We lost the chance of win a game which was quite achievable.

There could be more if you look for it.
Old April 12, 2007, 02:01 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

I support BD no matter what. However, how many times do we need to repeat a pathetic batting display to 'learn' or 'experience' from it?

Positives - BD bowlers were extremely competitive today.
Positives - We put some doubt in the ENG player’s minds. If it were Australia or NZ, they would have played their natural game and win convincingly. However, ENG took the cautious approach and nearly made a mess of a very small target. It was their nerves and our determination that almost did them in. In the end, careless batting was the main culprit.

Negative - I'll give Tamim a pass. I don't think many people realize that this not only his first major tournament, it's his first tour with the national team. The match against India was only his fifth ODI, the first four were played against Bermuda, Canada, and (2 matches). He started well and lost his wicket to a ball that had some 'extra' bounce. Something that should have alerted the coach and the captain - something that should have resulted in some sort of discussion in the dressing room about CONTROL and temperament. Instead, we saw the players coming out and trying to play some shots. What's the big hurry? We ended up losing almost 13 overs of batting and at the end of the day wondering about the WHAT If’s. Wait a second, didn't we just 'experience' the same sort of batting display againt Sri Lanka, Australia, and New Zealand. What's the point of getting the 'experience' of all this matches if we are not 'learning' form our mistakes ? We got the skills, what's stopping us from exercising a little bit of control and display some
Judicious shot selection ? It's time to take the learning from all this matches and apply ourselves a little bit. Two tough matches to go and we got enough talent and experience to win 'em both.
Old April 12, 2007, 02:32 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

We gave England a run for their money. I think this is the first defeat that earned us more respect than the winners. We're are more competitive, we just aren't prepared or experienced enough to bat on that surface. If we played England on slow, low pitch, we would have disintegrated them.
Old April 12, 2007, 05:55 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

If anything we have learnt showld be a few old lessons really:
1. Don't play/experiment with a batting line up which has just delivered and won a big match
2. Don't use a pressure match to bring back a player to form.
Loosing is of course a way of learning, but nothing can be better than learning from victories.
Old April 12, 2007, 10:48 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

rediscovered our unstable batting department and invented some extra ordinary way to get out. Specially Bashar's one...muhahahahaha
Old April 12, 2007, 11:17 AM
Cricket Sage

Positives:

1. We may see end of Bashar in ODI. That will open up opportunity for new captain new positive approach and steady and flexible middle order.

2. We may see end of Gullu in ODI. That will open up new oportunity for Sadat & CO. We need new blood to compete with SN and TI so that the best form players plays and players like Gullu is longer our Plan-B

3. We may see end of Rafiq in ODI. Its a loss in a sense, but its a kind of opportunity for the team to grow and be more flexible so that we can field team based on pitch condition. It will open up players like Farhad, Sahrif, or some all-rounder spinners in the team. Rafiq can concentrate on TEST only.

4. Hopefully it will open up opportunity for another young wicketkeeper (from team-a) to fight with Mushfiq. Pilot's days with ODI is over. Mushfiq's play proves again that we need two capable wicketkeeper ... the more competetion the better it is for the team.

5. The performace of the youngs players like Sakib, Tamim and Rahim proves that they are ready for prime time, they will make mistake ... but they will learn from them quicker than older players. Atleast they proved, they are not the dead wood of the team.

6. This will open opportunity for Farhad in future. Sakib already proved that he is no Rana Jr, he is setting the standard so high that even Sr. Ash will have hard time comming anywhere near him. And I am pretty sure given adequate opportuinity Farhad will also prove he is no 'Mushfiqur Rahman Jr.' or 'Chacha Jr', he is genuine batting alrounder.

7. I hope this will open up new blood in the selection team. Regardless how good job Faruq & Co. have done, its time to bring atleast one new blood in the selection team. If Dav stays in the team, then its more true.
Old April 12, 2007, 11:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashed_va
As much hurt I am from the defeat, I am looking at all the positive things that came out of this game and begining to feel relieved:

1. We have more than one batsman we can count on - not just Ashraful - to take charge. Saqib was excellent. Dileep Premachandran has a nice article for him: "Saqibul stands tall"

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc20...ry/290076.html

2. Our bowlers are simply world class. ENG just got lucky.

3. ENG is equal if not lower quality to us. I feel that cricinfo is more pleased with BD than ENG with all its writeups, and for good reasons.

4. Naseer U. thinks that BD needs to learn how to bat on bouncy pitch. I challenge him that if ENG plays a three day series with us on this pitch or anywhere else, we will crush them. ENG won because they won the toss - simply out of luck. Nothing more.
Um, why did it take the England match for us to realize this? Sakib has a 50 plus average and has scored half centuries against India, Sri Lanka and England. Plus, one of our batsmen scoring a 50 while everyone else collapses is not new, this is what has been happening since 2000, this does not all of a sudden mean that this batsman is the new saviour of Bangladesh cricket.
Old April 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I've been reading the newspapers today and they are all pretty much praising us for our fighting effort and criticising England for their shamble performance.

Quote:
As the afternoon evolved there were shades of England's spluttering run chase at Trent Bridge to score 129 to beat Australia. Only this time it was not Shane Warne and Brett Lee terrorising the batsmen, but spin twins Mohammad Rafique and Abdur Razzaq.

Neither name will be familiar to English audiences. But take note, this Bangladesh team will only get better and better and are already nearly too good for Vaughan's men. They had already accounted for India and South Africa and if England had not been so dominant with the ball, their name would have been added to that list.

"We should have chased down the target much more comfortably than we did, but full credit to the way they bowled. The spinners bowled straight and it's easy to see why they've won games in this World Cup", said Michael Vaughan.

The Mirror