facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 13, 2007, 09:15 AM
Retired BC Admin

Default Think tank's tweaking the batting line up to stay ahead of the game

Since we do not have what could be called a rock solid batting line ups in the mold of, say, Australia, we do suffer batting woes more often than not. We already proved what our bowlers are capable of on the day our batsmen do justice to their names. Think tanks, as it appears, are keenly aware of the dilemma. It is quite understandable that they will try playing with the batting line ups. More likely than not, these tweaks are meant to stay ahead of the game as well as to keep the opponent second guessing.

The problem however is that these are neither permanent nor solid a solution to the ongoing problem. On the flip side, it did work quite a few times and in the end that is what mattered the most in this World Cup for us. In the absence of a permanent solution, we are likely to see continuing tinkering in the quest for more success.

One famous tweaking was to send Musfiq up the order against India and we all know what happened. Interestingly, the unnecessary tweak that didn't work was done with the bowling department when the tink tank replaced Russel with Tapash. There is a reason why they say, don't repair if it is not broken.

Looking at the remaining two World Cup matches, we can rest assure that the tink tank will continue to try to tweak the batting line up. So what's on the card then?

Abir and Bashar have been the biggest flop so far. Logically, one should not look any further then these two for the tweak. While anyone of Gullu and Rajin can bat for Abir, Bashar's replacement poses the biggest challenge with the added question of captaincy. With both the captain and the vice captain out of the 11, if so happens, thinks tanks must find a capable leader.

Abir and Bashar's lean patches have been a road block to further our dream in this tourney. Hopefully, they will bounce back in no time and with more vigor.

Let me make it clear that, it is neither my intention nor my campaign to take the captaincy out of Bashar, but rather, to find a temporary solution for the remaining matches. Personally, I do not have any first hand knowledge about the leadership capabilities of the potential candidates like Mashrafe, Rafiq, Mushfiq, Shakib or even Ashraful. The think tanks are in the best position, unlike many of our members, to make the call here.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if I see any two of Gullu, Rajin and Farhad in the final eleven in place of Abir and Bashar for the remaing two matches.
Old April 13, 2007, 09:23 AM
Test Cricketer

"I'd be pleasantly surprised if I see any two of Gullu, Rajin and Farhad in the final eleven in place of Abir and Bashar for the remaing two matches."
-- I hope your wish comes true...we have nothing to loose but not sure if anybody out there as Captain material. Abir or Bashar out of form really creating pressure for us. Rajin used to captain our side long time ago.
Old April 13, 2007, 09:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Bashar has to stay for the rest of the two matches in World Cup period. It will be a big blow for the team to lose Bashar when we are trying to finish the WC journey on a high note. It will affect the team and players mentally even if he was to be out with injury.
Old April 13, 2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
Bashar has to stay for the rest of the two matches in World Cup period. It will be a big blow for the team to lose Bashar when we are trying to finish the WC journey on a high note. It will affect the team and players mentally even if he was to be out with injury.
...spot on!.....
Old April 13, 2007, 12:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

The least they can do is keep Mushfiq stable at # 6, move Bashar at #7. Another option would be to have Bashar as the 12th man and promote Javed and Farhad/Rajin.This allows him access to the team without really being in the team. I think Pointing did that once/twice. However, I dont think Bashar has that kind of a personality/creativity to figure that out. At the end though the " Think Thela garee'' wiil do is ..Javed will be back and Bashar still wobbling around at 4-5
Old April 13, 2007, 12:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

I would love to see Bashar staying on, but his performance really shuts me up.
I won't be surprised if he is replaced by someone who will perform with bat & be useful in the field;

After all, with 5 bowlers in the BD side, it's no rocket science to use them & I have hardly seen a day when Bashar's field setting was not criticised. If we can find out some sensible replacement for last two matches, won't be bad.

The bottom line is..Try our best to Win the last two matches.

Last edited by BANFAN; April 13, 2007 at 01:09 PM..
Old April 13, 2007, 12:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Not happening! Abir (70% Abir, 30% JO, 0% Rajin to open) and Hablu should play against Ireland. We can't just lose faith on the captain in the middle of the tournament. That would send a wrong message to the world, players. Think tank should re-evaluate for the next series. We should not hit the panic button because here we need not to panic. We haven't lost to anyone who is below us, moreover we beat 3 teams who were above us. Almost had the forth one. Step back and re evaluate.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; April 13, 2007 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old April 13, 2007, 12:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Not happening! Abir (70% Abir, 30% JO, 0% Rajin to open) and Hablu should play against Ireland. We can't just lose faith on the captain in the middle of the tournament. That would send a wrong message to the world, players. Think tank should re-evaluate for the next series. We should not hit the panick button because there we need not to panic. We haven't lost to anyone who is below us, moreover we beat 3 teams who were above us. Almost had the forth one. Step back and re evaluate.
ekdom khati kotha bagh bhai!
Old April 13, 2007, 12:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Think tank will continue to do the thinking...
The players will continue to performing (some cases non-performing)....
And the fans will continue to do all 'chilla chilli...'
At the end of the game some of them will say ... 'koisilam na'

and then.....

the cycle will continue for the next game.
Old April 13, 2007, 02:30 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Think tank will continue to do the thinking...
The players will continue to performing (some cases non-performing)....
And the fans will continue to do all 'chilla chilli...'
At the end of the game some of them will say ... 'koisilam na'

and then.....

the cycle will continue for the next game.
ekdom double khati kotha!
Old April 13, 2007, 12:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Dude whats there to panic? I dont think anyone is panicking that we may lose to Ireland. No this team,,,And wrong signal for what? that even if you dont perform for 7 matches just because u are the captain or the vice , we will spare you? Or should it not be that,,You are not in a team if you dont learn from your game. So, dont stand in the middle of the crease thinking about a Shirshendu Character or hit the bat with a closed eye thinking,, "hey look I scored more than 1 runs, yay". We have options to replace Shahrier with Javed who has done much much better. We have options to replace Bashar with Rajin/Farhad. Thinking of a prestige or sending the signal to the world stemming from self-fulfilling prophecey aint going to take us anywhere,, we need wins and fights for glory than a team of 9 players with 2 pride baggages.
Old April 13, 2007, 02:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Others were watching Ire vs Aussie game, and few other were getting tips from Whatmore!
Old April 13, 2007, 03:23 PM
Test Cricketer

i would prefer that they dont change the lineup. although both SN and bashar are totally out of form i really dont like JO or rajin playin in the ODIs. they are too slow and can bog down the innings with their inability to take singles. Farhad may be a good option but we have to remember that he has been without any kind of match practice for a long time.

btw anyonw know who the BD vice captain was during the games when SN wasn't playing?
Old April 13, 2007, 03:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by imran78
Farhad may be a good option but we have to remember that he has been without any kind of match practice for a long time.
What do you mean? he just played a "3 One-Day series" for BD team-a against a very strong SL team-a .
Old April 13, 2007, 03:30 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
What do you mean? he just played a "3 One-Day series" for BD team-a against a very strong SL team-a .
ahh right. good catch. had completely forgotten about that.
Old April 13, 2007, 03:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
and did pretty good there too
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 13, 2007, 04:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Farhad Reza's recent stats:
Nothing that impressive and forget about his bowling that is worse than his batting with poor economy.

Farhad Rezac JK Silva b Mahesh Perera03000.00
Farhad Rezac C Kapugedara b KA Lokuarachchi82847397.62
Farhad Rezab WCA Ganegama12801150.00
Farhad Rezalbw Tim Bresnan212140100.00
Farhad Rezac Steve Davies b Alex Gidman6101060.00
Farhad RezaNot Out412651157.69
Old April 13, 2007, 04:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
Farhad Reza's recent stats:
Nothing that impressive and forget about his bowling that is worse than his batting with poor economy.

Farhad Rezac JK Silva b Mahesh Perera03000.00
Farhad Rezac C Kapugedara b KA Lokuarachchi82847397.62
Farhad Rezab WCA Ganegama12801150.00
Farhad Rezalbw Tim Bresnan212140100.00
Farhad Rezac Steve Davies b Alex Gidman6101060.00
Farhad RezaNot Out412651157.69
what r u talking about he did pretty good. now compare that with aftabs WC matches who scored more?

also i think bowling wise he did better in that tour. don't bring in what he did previously. he did something to fix his problem and did pretty good in A tour and hence got the call so just compare the SL tour.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 13, 2007, 04:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Here is the breakdown of Farhad's performance against SL-A team.

1st One Day vs Sri lanka A : Batted @ #7 when team was 273/6 (with few overs left). Scored 12 runs out of 8 balls (SR 150). Final Score 285 for 8. Bowling: 8 overs 49 runs 3 wickets (Econ 6.13) . SL scored 285/5. Highest wicket taker for BD bowler. 3rd best ECON rate behind Enamul (4.3) and Dollar (5.5)

2nd One Day vs Sri lanka A : Batted @ #7 when team was 99/6 (team in Deep Trouble). Scored 82 runs out of 84 balls (SR 97). Final Score 206 all out in 45 overs. Bowling: 4 overs 26 runs 0 wickets (Econ 6.5) . SL scored 207/4. Bowled pretty bad. ECON rate (6.5) in the bottom only ahead of Sharif.

3rd One Day vs Sri lanka A : Batted @ #7 when team was 161/5. Stayed briefly and Scored 0 runs out of 3 balls (SR 00). Final Score 222/9 in 50 overs. SL scored 160/1 in 24.2 overs. Bowled ok. The only wicket taker for BD. 2nd best ECON rate (4.40) behind Enamul (3.4)

If you see the breakdown of this score based on when he came and how he performed. Its pretty impressive for a #7 batsman. That tells me, he can adjust based on team's need and build a innings when there is a need. Now in one game he was out scoring a golla, which is possible for any batsman. Overall batting wise I would say, its a good performance.

Now lets come to his bowling. His ECON rate was much better than the average of BD bowlers except for 1 game. In two games (out of three) he was the highest wicket taker for BD bowlers. So I don't know what we are are complaining about his bowling and where this "his bowling that is worse than his batting with poor economy." is comming from. We all know his bowling is lacking much needed an edge and he doesn't have the spead. But given opportunity he may be become a good enough 5th/6th effective bowler for BD. Rasel proved speed is not everything a bolwer needs in ODI.

So I say give this kid a chance. He may surprise lot of nay-sayers.

Last edited by Fazal; April 13, 2007 at 05:24 PM..
Old April 13, 2007, 05:06 PM
Cricket Legend

I have to say,, one player that must go is Faruque. That moron is just influencing Bashar and the team on a whim. Farhad or Rajin should be tested out,,, At the worst they will do is score betwee a duck and 20,, big deal, Mushfiq, Shahrier, Bashar is being doing that since day 2. But Rajin/Farhad can feild & bowl better which is a plus!
Old April 13, 2007, 05:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Anyway, the team is going to be the same unchanged team for Ireland match hinted so far in prothom alo.