facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 28, 2007, 10:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot
Default Players are relieved as Whatmore leaves !!!

Whatmore has been the most successful coach for Bangladesh as the team performed best during his time. But in the last few months he made himself a debatable person by showing his will to become a Indian coach in a wrong way. According to the prothom-alo report today, players were somewhat releived and this also hampered the performance/concentration of players during the India series.

Prothom-alo report:
http://www.prothom-alo.org/mcat.news...DE5NDA=&mid=OA==

Old May 28, 2007, 10:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Just another excuse cooked up by the writer of the article in my opinion... The players were relieved, and thats what made them suck? Cmon!
Old May 28, 2007, 10:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

This is just another one of those dumb articles written by the writer to get more attention and sell the news paper and etc!!!
Old May 28, 2007, 10:44 PM
First Class Cricketer

ha ha ha ha... what a crock of peanuts!
Old May 28, 2007, 11:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafis_BD
This is just another one of those dumb articles written by the writer to get more attention and sell the news paper and etc!!!
Is prothom-alo such a paper who write craps to sell?
Old May 28, 2007, 11:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
Whatmore has been the most successful coach for Bangladesh as the team performed best during his time. But in the last few months he made himself a debatable person by showing his will to become a Indian coach in a wrong way. According to the prothom-alo report today, players were somewhat releived and this also hampered the performance/concentration of players during the India series.

Prothom-alo report:
http://www.prothom-alo.org/mcat.news...DE5NDA=&mid=OA==

The players ought to learn to play under various stresses and distraction -- this is part and parcel of being an international cricketer. Coaches will come and go, controversies will rise and fall, but the player must be able to keep there heads down at all times. I don't think that the majority of BD players suffer from this problem, and haven't been affected that much by Dav's recent activities.

To be honest, Dav's shinanigans are tame in comparison to other coaches. Just look at big man Greg Chappell - he came in and totally upset the entire indian team and administration with his typical egocentric and obnoxious behavior and coaching style.
Old May 28, 2007, 11:44 PM
Cricket Legend

In my personal opinion, Whatmore or no whatmore, BD team was destined to achieve what it did, and even more. It is a natural progression given the game's reach and following. Look at the passionate Banglar fans!

In fact, it remains a mystery to me as to why did it take so long.
Old May 28, 2007, 11:55 PM
Test Cricketer

total crap.......never expected this from prothom alo.........i'm a big fan of prothom-alo but they could hardly got any interview from DEV.......perhaps thats the reason why they are bashing at him...............
Old May 28, 2007, 11:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
In my personal opinion, Whatmore or no whatmore, BD team was destined to achieve what it did, and even more. It is a natural progression given the game's reach and following. Look at the passionate Banglar fans!

Can't agree. What took it so long was a proper infrastructure (which is still under development), belief, attitude, and vision. Have you heard of Hurricane Carter? During my convocation, he was deliverin a speech...and said - "the one and only thing that will take you ahead in your life is ATTITUDE".

That's what our players lacked. Whatmore gave the players that. He just hasn't been successful in making them technically correct, and professionally built with strictness. That's where we're stuck.

Anyway, as for the prothom alo article...didn't even bother reading it. Why waste time?
Old May 28, 2007, 11:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

How does Prothom-Alo know that players are relieved? Did any player say it loud? Total garbage.

Whatmore deserves his share of criticism but not downright lies like this.
Old May 29, 2007, 12:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Well....Whatmore did nothing, I don't agree with it. i would say, he performed his duties.
But yes i agree that we have over-estimated him in some cases.....
In his 4 years...he went on doing his duties and always looked for better options. He did not do his job with a goal/aim to achieve and passion was definitely missing.
Old May 29, 2007, 12:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Can't agree. What took it so long was a proper infrastructure (which is still under development), belief, attitude, and vision. Have you heard of Hurricane Carter? During my convocation, he was deliverin a speech...and said - "the one and only thing that will take you ahead in your life is ATTITUDE".

That's what our players lacked. Whatmore gave the players that. He just hasn't been successful in making them technically correct, and professionally built with strictness. That's where we're stuck.

Anyway, as for the prothom alo article...didn't even bother reading it. Why waste time?
Look at the new kids - Tamim, Mashrafe, Ashraful, Sakib, Nafees, Aftab - They had the attitude they have even before Whatmore intervened. I don't think Whatmore gave them the attitude that they possess. Whatmore supported them, which any coach faced with paucity of real performers and talent would do anyways.

Interestingly, while we are talking attitude, Ashraful's attitude hasn't changed a wee-bit (one of most unforunate aspect) through all of Whatmore's tenure, nor has Aftab's. Two people who really had special talents have managed to hold on to their place in the team not based on performance justifying the talent but on sheer paucity of alternatives.

Look at Enamul Haque - another talented kid - No change in attitude whatsoever.

Look at Javed Omar or Rafique - seasoned campaigners - no change in attitude whatsoever.

Look at that kid Kapali - No change in attitude whatsoever and ultimately destructed what was a promise equal or more than Ashraful (my strictly personal opinion - i thought he was a useful bowler and a useful bat, they tried to make him a batsman who could bowl and killed him).

And all under Whatmore!

An above average coach would've used Enamul, Rafique, Mashrafe, Ashraful, Alok, Aftab, Nafees, (Tamim and Sakib are very new, so excused), Rasel, Rajib and yes, even Taposh to form an ODI unit that had the consistency and the shock value of atleast the pre-1996 SL team or the pre-2003 Zimbo team. He would've sorted out whatever prevented these guys from combining together into a respetable outfit. I mean, i still can't get why BD team shouldn't win more often.

Instead, what we have is yes, an occassional heart-gladdening win. Big wins but barely enough.

In retrospect, the contribution of McInnes is many times more valuable.

Last edited by DJ Sahastra; May 29, 2007 at 12:25 AM..
Old May 29, 2007, 12:18 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Well....Whatmore did nothing, I don't agree with it. i would say, he performed his duties.
But yes i agree that we have over-estimated him in some cases.....
In his 4 years...he went on doing his duties and always looked for better options. He did not do his job with a goal/aim to achieve and passion was definitely missing.
Yes, we can say lots of thing when he was leaving.Players, selectors and officials can blame him for various reasons.But do you think this blaming game will surve any purpose for us no? He has been here with the team for more than 4 years.Now that he is leaving --let him go with honor and let's not forget what have he done for the team.
Job ,well done Whatmore -All the best
Old May 29, 2007, 12:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

this is a kind of journalism most sports journalist of the the country are used to with. Total crap. At times reading their sports report seems like they are taking their revenge. And it has always been the case. Any time any coach's tenure finishes newspaper always says that players are releived. Some journalist even uses adjective which are not decent at all. And they dont seem to do it for any other kind of reporting. Journalists must understand what does the word professionalism means, what makes a person professional in his or her respective field including journalism itself. Most journalist sounds like they are angry at him since he didnot give them enough time or importance. Hell Ya!! I wont give importance to journalist lika Azam or this no name Sports reporter any importance at all.
Old May 29, 2007, 12:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

Excellent analysis DJ. I used to have suspicion on Whatmore(?)'s infulence on Bashar's timid attitude.
Old May 29, 2007, 12:28 AM
Cricket Legend

speaking of McInnes....there were some reports he was talking to BCB - seems like for an assitant coach job. Has this been confirmed. I think his return in whatever capacity would be great. And frankly, in spite of the wealth of boring old white guys to choose from, McInnes may be a great choice for national coach. I just hope we don't get stuck with another India reject or Pakistan C-grade coach like Mohsin Kamal (hopefully BCB is past that but you never know)
Old May 29, 2007, 12:31 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

I think DJ Sahastra desribed everything very nicely.. whatever he said is so true..

Ashraful didnt have good relationship with Dav for long time. So did some other players.. Hes a very defensive coach and made bashar defensive tooo.. I'm sure every1 willl shine under new coach..
Old May 29, 2007, 12:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Look at the new kids - Tamim, Mashrafe, Ashraful, Sakib, Nafees, Aftab - They had the attitude they have even before Whatmore intervened. I don't think Whatmore gave them the attitude that they possess. Whatmore supported them, which any coach faced with paucity of real performers and talent would do anyways.

Interestingly, while we are talking attitude, Ashraful's attitude hasn't changed a wee-bit (one of most unforunate aspect) through all of Whatmore's tenure, nor has Aftab's. Two people who really had special talents have managed to hold on to their place in the team not based on performance justifying the talent but on sheer paucity of alternatives.

Look at Javed Omar or Rafique - seasoned campaigners - no change in attitude whatsoever.

Look at that kid Kapali - No change in attitude whatsoever and ultimately destructed what was a promise equal or more than Ashraful (my strictly personal opinion - i thought he was a useful bowler and a useful bat, they tried to make him a batsman who could bowl and killed him).

And all under Whatmore!

An above average coach would've used Enamul, Rafique, Mashrafe, Ashraful, Alok, Aftab, Nafees, (Tamim and Sakib are very new, so excused), Rasel, Rajib and yes, even Taposh to form an ODI unit that had the consistency and the shock value of atleast the pre-1996 SL team or the pre-2003 Zimbo team. He would've sorted out whatever prevented these guys from combining together into a respetable outfit. I mean, i still can't get why BD team shouldn't win more often.

Instead, what we have is yes, an occassional heart-gladdening win. Big wins but barely enough.

ya DJ, you have some point.....

Without Bashar's negative captaincy, we may have won more matches or may made some matches closer......I always felt whatmore could have done something here. Just give him advice to re-consider his field setting....just to help him think a bit attacking as whatmore has seen enough before. But surprisingly i found no change of attitude on Bashar.
Old May 29, 2007, 01:15 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mashrafe & Shakib!
Default .....

Quote:

And all under Whatmore!

Ever wondered why Kapali got out? Besides a slide in his form, it probably was because of BCB 's internal politics (when he got out I couldn't follow BD cricket for a bit of time)!

A coach does not necessarily bring up the change in a players attitude. A coach makes them believe. The last bunch of players we had were good and had the talent but not the mentality. That is because they came into a team and lost a bunch of matches and never got it right.

Saqi, Mushy, Tamim and all of them came in last year and the U19 they belonged to was a force to reckon with.....what about those in the BD team in 2005? BD started performing well back then!

In 2004 they started beating the big names. In 2005 they were tasting more success. In 2006 the youngsters came in and it was all out matches against smaller nations in which BD could win much more easily. You can see how even against Zimbabwe they suffered at first and then it became more of a walk in the park later on in the year!

Whatmore DID bring about a change in the attitude in the BD players as much a coach can! The rest is upto the players themselves!

Dav was saddened to not have seen Ashraful improve much during his tenure and he has expressed that a couple of days earlier. He has also expressed his grief at Aftab promising so much, yet falling after scoring some runs.

He played his part well. Remember Mash, Aftab and Ash were under him and they have become more consistent under him.

Why, look as Mash.....look at how much attention Dav paid to him and with the help of the team physio and all has made or dear Pagla so fit, that in the past one and a half year he has missed only one or two matches! Not only that, he has become from a slogger to an all-rounder! And that too a God-damned world -class one!

Dav has done a lot for Bangladesh cricket that no other coach at that time could do.
He understands our mentality better. Inside all hardness there dwells a soul and no soul can be that selfish!

The players of this current Bangladesh cricket team always stand behind their coach through thick and thin as does the coach stand behind his players! So that rubbish comment in the newspaper was either blatantly written false or commented by someone who had been axed from the World Cup team for a mch younger and much better player for his batting and glover work. But I doubt that the elder statesmen would talk, since he too does respect Dav a lot!

So seriously, this was a dumb thing to have been written and I have lost all my respect for this Bangla Daily from this moment on!!!!!
Old May 29, 2007, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Yes, because he was largely responsible for injecting the attitude that you talk about in your very first sentence into the new generation of players.

Btw, that's not to say that Whatmore wasn't effective; it just goes to show that McInnes will probably be able to make a larger difference.
Old May 29, 2007, 01:45 AM
Test Cricketer

main discussions with dev is portrayed in jaijaidin (this is crappy newspaper.read it on your own risk.. )......
the thing that writen in prothonm-alo doesn't sound the same as jaijaidin......

http://www.jaijaidin.com/details.php?nid=12145
Old May 29, 2007, 01:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny747
main discussions with dev is portrayed in jaijaidin (this is crappy newspaper.read it on your own risk.. )......
the thing that writen in prothonm-alo doesn't sound the same as jaijaidin......

http://www.jaijaidin.com/details.php?nid=12145
ya....this was not with the players......article of a different incident...... abt the press conference Dav organized for indian reporters.....prothom-alo also had a news on that press conf. also.

http://www.prothom-alo.org/mcat.news...DE5Mzk=&mid=OA==
Old May 29, 2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

On the ATTITUDE bit, like some other folks have suggested, McInnes and the group that worked with our yunguns have more to do with developing that attitude rather then Dav. Don't agree, just look at the team and see WHICH of the players have that attitude. Definitely not the older ones. Rafique doesn't count. He has always been top class (not world class) and a fighter no matter what. Heck, Shujon had all the right attitude but no fire. He gave his all but didn't have the raw talent that some of the other uns do.

So in four years, have we really done much ? He may have tried, given it his all. In that case, we are in a heap of trouble. If a seasoned coach like Dav tried and failed to bring about any change to players like Ash and Aftab, does it mean that this players will never learn ? Scary, isn't it ? Or, how about he tried initially, gave up, and his players followed the same route. With the new coach taking over, we'll find out if there are more to Ashraful and Aftab and the likes than Dav was able to bring out.
Old May 29, 2007, 07:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Quote:
Is prothom-alo such a paper who write craps to sell?
After the buy-out by Tanscom,,, Prothom-Alo and Daily star is no longer the papers we used to know; in fact, they have completely flipped in recent months publishing endless news which they themselves have to explain and revert by rejoinders...

Coming back to the original issue: The content of the report doesnt match the heading of the report. Prothom-Alo has been siding with their own version of the truth than the facts that they can back up. I dont know who said that they are relieved as no name was mentioned and all the interviewee pretty much said that Dav contributed to their individual succcess... I am sorry but i couldnt find much about sports as much as I found about insinuating enigma and a monologue babble of a poet reporter, less of a sports reporter
Old May 29, 2007, 07:58 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

i think the players just wanted to move forward, and the reporter wanted juice. kutnami's not the most unusual trait we've got. just look at some of the drama in this forum... personally, i dig the spice.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)