facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 3, 2008, 12:29 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose
Lightbulb Stars by name only - a report by from daily star

Stars by name only
Mohammad Isam

When Minhazul Abedin and Aminul Islam say that something is wrong, it must be serious.

Tuesday's Abahani-Mohammedan clash attracted little crowd and produced few runs, but it drew two of the country's biggest names to criticise the overall attitude of the national players towards domestic cricket. Not that the two former batsmen are speaking from afar.

Minhazul is the head coach of his beloved Mohammedan while Aminul is looking to clinch a second consecutive Premier League title with the Dhanmondi-based giants and both are seeing these national players from close quarters. They must be appalled by the lack of responsibility; something that seems to follow the Tigers at all levels.

Barring Mashrafe Bin Mortaza and to some extent Tamim Iqbal, none of the current national players inspired anyone with their performance.

Fact that Mohammad Ashraful's only contribution of note for Mohammedan has been a two-wicket haul against Kalabagan must be a shock given that he was paid Tk 8 lakh to score runs. In five innings, Ashraful had scores of 24, 20, 7, 22 and 19.

Mohammedan's left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak, bound for the Bangalore franchise in the Indian Premier League (IPL), bowled ten pricey wides in a crucial situation against Old DOHS, costing his club the match. Razzak's teammate Zunaed Siddiqui rose to prominence with his domestic runs, but now he seem to have forgotten what took him to the national team in the first place.

Minhazul, a former national captain and pioneer of professionalism in domestic cricket, questioned the commitment of players like Ashraful. He pointed out that the hunger among them is missing and their poor performance directly places them along the also-rans in the domestic scene.

He said, "A national player should show his class in domestic circuit but unfortunately, none of them could do that."

Old-timers who were devoted to club cricket in the 80s and 90s, scoff at the word 'pressure' of Dhaka leagues these days. Back in those heady days, players were hounded and lifted on shoulders depending on their show and any lack of commitment towards the club was nothing short of a sin.

One senior player would have made the difference back then but nowadays, a national player in the side usually means they would play their 'natural' game. They would do that no matter what situation the team is in.

But once the national player is discarded, we see a completely different picture. Wicketkeeper-batsman Mushfiqur Rahim is a prime example. The plucky customer scored two fifties and a century in consecutive innings and his side BKSP are thriving under his leadership. It would have been interesting to see the same player if he was in the Pakistan-bound tour party.

It reminds this reporter of days when the national footballers were said to have 'saved their legs' for the clubs whenever they appeared for Bangladesh. The trend is similar in cricket, only difference being the players have most of their efforts for lucrative international cricket.

Even four months ago, there was no guarantee of club cricket taking place. Clubs had little money and when the board came forward with enhanced financial help, there was the Brothers Union court case that held up the league.

Now that everything seems rosier, better cricket could have been hoped for. A 'star-less' Premier League is usually ridiculed as boring and unappealing but what of a league with non-performing stars?

Old April 3, 2008, 12:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

my points :

1. either the national players should play the whole leaugue or should not play at all. playing for 2-3 weeks doesn't give them enough motivation.

2. the pak squad should have been announced after the completion if leaugue. so that the stars would have known if they perform bad they will be dropped. also the option for good performers to come in would help.

3. so prior to a series the selection committe should delay the squad announcement as late as possible so that the players are serious and leaugue is much more competetive.
Old April 3, 2008, 12:38 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Sad but true.
Old April 3, 2008, 12:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

While I agree, I don't care what happens in this set of premier league matches. I care only about how many runs they score in Pakistan.
Old April 3, 2008, 01:03 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

As long as they dont simulate the international matches... as long as they dont prepare sporting wickets for our players, I dont give a rats arse about performing or not in the domestic league, because there is no point, and it wont help them play better when it really matters!
Old April 3, 2008, 03:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Even four months ago, there was no guarantee of club cricket taking place.

Who do you think is serious with the domestic cricket? If the system is not, how the players can be? I am not supporting the non performing stars, just looking at the other side of it also.

What ever is the standard of the domestic league, the stars and organizers all needs to be serious with it. But when the organizers are relluctant, doesn't it give a wrong signal to the stars? They are tuned to perform in big stages, take big challenges, if they are offered such neglected stage, the motivation certainly doesnot come.
Old April 3, 2008, 05:48 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

Both Organisers + players are to blame ! Everybody seems to be happy with just pointing out the problems, but they are reluctant to solve the problems !
Old April 3, 2008, 06:19 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
While I agree, I don't care what happens in this set of premier league matches. I care only about how many runs they score in Pakistan.
How we will bring professional attitude in our domestic cricket then?
Old April 3, 2008, 06:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

can somebody merge this thread with "BCB Knows"
Old April 3, 2008, 06:42 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozy
As long as they dont simulate the international matches... as long as they dont prepare sporting wickets for our players, I dont give a rats arse about performing or not in the domestic league, because there is no point, and it wont help them play better when it really matters!
U fail to see the point. If they cannot go about a premier league match with a definitive plan, how can they play according to plan in international arena? Shows their lack of discipline. When an Australian player like M. Clarke plays for a local sydney team he gives it just as much as he gives for the national team. Invariably they score runs. These players don't know the meaning of discipline.Surely scoring in the premier league would increase their fluency much more than hitting the nets.
Old April 3, 2008, 10:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: MASHRAFE MORTAZA

the national players are playing just a few games.. why?? why couldn't they postpone the pak series and let the players play in domestic league.. leaving something half way through wont help.. right now it would have been better if they didn't play at all..
Old April 3, 2008, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshakir56
Both Organisers + players are to blame ! Everybody seems to be happy with just pointing out the problems, but they are reluctant to solve the problems !
Ditto!
Old April 3, 2008, 12:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Half of the national team players have actually done reasonably well in the league (although no extraordinary staff from anyone). The national players are taking flack mainly for Mohammedan superstars (Zunaed, Aftab, Ashraful, Razzak).

Last edited by Eshen; April 3, 2008 at 12:24 PM..
Old April 3, 2008, 01:16 PM
Cricket Sage

So...that indicates ....

there something wrong with these four players, or

rather something wrong with the team Modamedan.
Old April 3, 2008, 06:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

It seems like the players thinks,,the performance in the domestic league and the performance at the international level are negatively correlated. To not care about how they score in domenstic league would only ensure that Cricket will die like soccer. Bangalees are Hujuege Jati... Once we start to see that there are no excitements at the national league, not many international wins,, naturally fans will lose interests. So, if some one done give a damm about domestic score and expect that at the international level the players will flourish, its living in fools paradise or sinking your head in the sand and not see the writings. Players rectify their technical faults in domestic league, change their actions, modifiy their approaches,,, and if they think they can only acheive that at the net,, forget it!! Even players like Sachin/Ganguly plays regulary at the domestic circuit and scores regularly. Asking professionalims from the players and not making them accountable for their local performance will expedite the inevitable. I agree with OFFSTUMPS,, had they delayed the final XV, the performances wouldve been very different... as it was when Ashraful was dropped and he immediately scored a double ton to get back in runs!!
Old April 3, 2008, 07:37 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
It seems like the players thinks,,the performance in the domestic league and the performance at the international level are negatively correlated. To not care about how they score in domenstic league would only ensure that Cricket will die like soccer. Bangalees are Hujuege Jati... Once we start to see that there are no excitements at the national league, not many international wins,, naturally fans will lose interests. So, if some one done give a damm about domestic score and expect that at the international level the players will flourish, its living in fools paradise or sinking your head in the sand and not see the writings. Players rectify their technical faults in domestic league, change their actions, modifiy their approaches,,, and if they think they can only acheive that at the net,, forget it!! Even players like Sachin/Ganguly plays regulary at the domestic circuit and scores regularly. Asking professionalims from the players and not making them accountable for their local performance will expedite the inevitable. I agree with OFFSTUMPS,, had they delayed the final XV, the performances wouldve been very different... as it was when Ashraful was dropped and he immediately scored a double ton to get back in runs!!

Old April 3, 2008, 09:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Its quiete sad,i think there should be a policy 'Any national player if doesn't perform well in the domestic league they will get dropped including the captain too',that should make them work harder and another policy should be 'All the batsmen and all rounders should have and average of 25+ in their recent 5 international matches to avoid being dropped and all the national bowler should have an economy rate under 5.00 to avoid being dropped from the national team' this should get their minds to work.
Old April 3, 2008, 09:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

This is the frustartng part. No matter how much everyone says it the players just don't get it. They are not only taking their club teams down with them but also themselves. Theyare not gaining anything so they might as well not play and waste their time. The other thing is our team selection. I don't know what's happened to it but it just doesn't seem right now. I think the team selection should mostly be based on performance and everyone is included.
Old April 3, 2008, 11:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
Its quiete sad,i think there should be a policy 'Any national player if doesn't perform well in the domestic league they will get dropped including the captain too',that should make them work harder and another policy should be 'All the batsmen and all rounders should have and average of 25+ in their recent 5 international matches to avoid being dropped and all the national bowler should have an economy rate under 5.00 to avoid being dropped from the national team' this should get their minds to work.
I agree with you 100 %
I just wish the BCB read this particular post !
Old April 5, 2008, 02:23 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Its purely not class or technique we are talking about. Its the careless approach of the stars. The fat wallet, the age versus responsibility gap and the careless Whatmore effect - all prevails.
Old April 5, 2008, 02:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Its purely not class or technique we are talking about. Its the careless approach of the stars. The fat wallet, the age versus responsibility gap and the careless Whatmore effect - all prevails.
ektu explain koren na. interesting hobe mone hoi..
Old April 5, 2008, 03:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

I do agree with a lot of what you guys are saying here.. but at the same time I still dont see the point of forcing them to perform consistently if they themselves dont bother making proper wickets. We all knwo the problems, and the same excuses are repeated every single time we play matches against quality opposition.
Although I do agree that the players should perform in domestic leagues, I just dont see why they would do it if they are not even given proper facilities. I would just call it a cheap shot from our cricket board!They need to first do what they should do, and then talk.
Old April 5, 2008, 04:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
How we will bring professional attitude in our domestic cricket then?
Let it first get List A status, than try to lure internationals back if it was good enough for Sanath and Wasim (In there primes too) it can be good enough for the current internationals even promising U-19 players Shoiab Malik played for Abahani when he was 18. Let a few clubs (The ones that win) get a few OD matches when international teams come and tour Bangladesh. IMO An Abahani/Mohammedan vs the South Africans is alot more enticing than BCB XI vs South Africans or U-19 vs New Zealand XI.

If the Premier League some how gets List A status than BCB can do some things, Like having the Top 2 sides compete in the proposed World Domestic 20/20 Champions League. You'd see the Cricketers alot more seriously cause I think it would add more prestige. The Dhaka Premier league has a rich history, it's asinine that it doesn't have List A status.

Last edited by cricman; April 5, 2008 at 04:19 AM..
Old April 5, 2008, 09:56 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Players may not perform in the same level in every game, but they must show some class, some professionalism.
Some BD players caused defamation at home, they will abroad.
Some Eid players are like fruit flies, their performance comes and fades away with their attitude.
They are dim stars where there are no shining stars.
Old April 5, 2008, 12:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
ektu explain koren na. interesting hobe mone hoi..
Its crystal clear right? There is no team rule to maintain in a Abahoni-Mohammedan clash.