facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 14, 2008, 04:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Mash and Tamim
Default Should we be re-named to 'Unexpected'?

First of all guys its been a long time since I have posted something like this and I might completely forget about doing so in the future if cricket doesnt become competetive.

Anyway, we all know once in a while Bangladesh puts on a 'tiger-like' performance. Maybe a little beyond what we expect of them sometimes for example the recent win against the kiwis. I for one would have been satisfied with a 1 wicket win. As long as it is A WIN I will be pleased.So instead of going for a disciplined one they want to go for a performance that would delight the crowd which is good but to some extent.The problem is we want to see more of that. The win in the 2007 World cup against India was an excellent 5 wicket one, we also beat South Africa by 67 runs which is another terrific win. But what is the point of such results if it is to spring up once or twice in a calendar year?

I wonder, is it because of mere luck or is it just a case of us playing incredibly well and the opponents playing poorly because it just doesnt seem to happen back to back. Why should we be the tiger if we do not show the tigers instinct? Instead we should be called 'the unexpected'. I mean surely out of all those matches not many would have seen the 7 wicket win coming, especially after the ICL rebels disaster. We lost a true stroke maker in Aftab, a recently revived Alok with both bat and ball and a decent opener in Nafees. These three will be missed no doubt and it did show when there was a lack of cover for them apart from some youngsters ready for eager debuts. But somehow we managed a convincing win to put matters behind us and focus on the future, and that was because of a team effort. Although it has to be said that whenever Ashraful, Mortaza and Razzak and an opener plays at their level best it is mainly because of them we win. Dont forget these are Bangladesh's core players and the team is built around them. But I did see an excellent all-round display from the three departments. Bowling, fielding and batting was spot on on the day and that was partly due to the reluctance to show the critics that Bangladesh can be a true 'giant killer' on their day. Well done tigers for doing that.

Having said that, I expected complacency to fall through and it did. We lost a game we really should have won if the players stuck to the game plan. But more often as not they failed and that was expected, well from me anyway. For now, I would focues on the teams batting and hope they go from strength to strength because we want to see players liek Sakibul to not only give a consistent peformance but a match winning one. We need more indivual quality to shine through and that wins games. We saw that when Jacob Oram got 75 runs in the 2nd ODI and ironically it was the winning margin between the team. So, my point is let us carry on being the 'unexpected' but also lets focus on players like Junaid, Mushfiq, Shahadat, Sakib, Naeem, Rasel etc and turn them into something special because that is what every team needs.Not only do we need Ashraful, Tamim or someone to post the runs but we need others too.We needs Lots of players with a determination that they themselves can change a match, whether it is to little effect or a major effect. But bowling wise I always see a variety of players getting wickets and that is good for the team.

In conclusion I am very pleased with Bangladesh's bowling performance against a team with hopes to move up the ODI rankings. The batting was excellent from 3 of the players in the first game and hopefully we will do more of the 'unexpected' and go on from there to become a successfully, competetive outfit. Insha Allah I have hope.

Old October 14, 2008, 04:27 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Gilly, Rafiq, Klusner

That one win wont show the world. it will be another FLUKE to them, unless they can back that A WIN up with ANOTHER WIN
Old October 14, 2008, 05:53 AM
Cricket Legend

bangladesh need another inifinity years and then they can perform, wisih it could b earlier though...