facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 26, 2009, 10:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Default Apple Mecca

On October 10, 2006, an Islamic website posted a message alerting Muslims to what it claims is a new insult to Islam. According to the message, the cube-shaped building which is being constructed in New York City, on Fifth Avenue between 58th and 59th Streets in midtown Manhattan, is clearly meant to provoke Muslims. The fact that the building resembles the Ka'ba (see picture below), is called "Apple Mecca," is intended to be open 24 hours a day like the Ka'ba, and moreover, contains bars selling alcoholic beverages, constitutes a blatant insult to Islam. The message urges Muslims to spread this alert, in hope that "Muslims will be able to stop the project."

http://www.hyscience.com/archives/20...s_mecca_pr.php

Old July 26, 2009, 10:50 PM
Cricket Sage

this is one of the responses.

Dear radical Muslim comrades! While you are the best allies the Left could ever have in the great patriotic war against American Capitalism, there are limits in every relationship, even the most intimate one like ours. Thus, your latest allegation that the Apple Mecca Store in New York amounts to a deliberate insult to Islam (because it resembles your big black Ka'bah cube in Mecca) is not just inane, it's an unprovoked stab in the back. This isn't how good allies treat one another. Yes, our cube-shaped Apple store resembles Ka'bah - so what? It's not like your real Mecca. To be more like the real Mecca it must have regular stampedes crushing thousands of geeks to death every year, aggravated by outbreaks of dysentery among huge crowds of Apple users crammed together in anti-sanitary conditions.

read the rest of the article here
http://thepeoplescube.com/red/viewtopic.php?t=869
Old July 26, 2009, 10:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Whats the point of this? Other than some muslims over-react to simple things...
Old July 26, 2009, 10:53 PM
Cricket Savant

If you continued to read it:

Quote:
From The Register we learn that it's a bit late to stop the project since the store opened for business back in May (gee, too bad). However, the building is not called the "Apple Mecca", it "does not serve alcoholic beverages, and neither Jack Straw nor Salman Rushdie work behind the counter." So the outraged members of what many believe to be the religion of perpetual outrage should be able to breathe more easily, until they find some other ridiculous offense to become outraged over - again.
I am confused. ^

The word 'Mecca' being the center of attraction entered lexicon long time ago. But, I agree, the architect should have been more considerate in creating the building structure.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 26, 2009, 11:00 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib <3

in this website..they list a bunch of incidents for which Muslims rioted...these people claim to not to this **** on purpose...they say we over react...why can't they give us a break?? what the hell did we do to offend their religion?
Old July 26, 2009, 11:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo~mon

in this website..they list a bunch of incidents for which Muslims rioted...these people claim to not to this **** on purpose...they say we over react...why can't they give us a break?? what the hell did we do to offend their religion?
Well we do over react.... Instead of doing something against those who truly offend our religion, some muslims go after cartoonists or some architect, etc.

We have bigger issues to deal with than a cube shaped building. Instead of starting useless, wasteful, and stupid riots, we should start cleaning up the cancer that has befallen our religion.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib
Well we do over react.... Instead of doing something against those who truly offend our religion, some muslims go after cartoonists or some architect, etc.
akib bro the whole thing about the cartoonist in denmark or wherever was not over reaction, that was clearly meant to offend us.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Wait...isn't that the Apple store with the transparent walls across the street from Central Park? That's NOTHING like the Ka'ba and they definitely don't sell anything other than Apple products.

This is a three year old article - what's the point of digging it up?
Old July 26, 2009, 11:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
akib bro the whole thing about the cartoonist in denmark or wherever was not over reaction, that was clearly meant to offend us.
Ok, the cartoonist incident was a bad example. And it was also quite stupid and achieved little purpose.

But, doesn't the Taliban's and Al Qaeda's actions also offend us? Are they not making a mockery of the religion we believe in, what we cherish, our way of life... Why are we not rioting against them? Why are we not standing up to them. And although the cartoons were offensive, what the Taliban is doing is worse. One was done by someone just to provoke us. The other is using our religion for their own selfish, evil purposes.

It was only recently that you even heard of the villagers in Pakistan standing up to these thugs...

Also, the article is also quite incorrect. I'm sure Apple doesn't sell alcohol.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
Pagolere jodi shaku naraite mana kore....

I agree with akib: Peaceful people should transcend this overreaction and reach to a level where they are not easily offended by these idiocies. Consider the stuff happens here in this forum. Guys like Orphy, me, Siraji et all we don't cry like cry babies if someone pokes a jab at us. Similarly why can't the muslims say: "We are better than them. Let's move on and ignore them." After all as the old adage goes:

Would the moon go on shining if it paid attention to the dogs that bark at it?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 26, 2009, 11:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Pagolere jodi shaku naraite mana kore....

I agree with akib: Peaceful people should transcend this overreaction and reach to a level where they are not easily offended by these idiocies. Consider the stuff happens here in this forum. Guys like Orphy, me, Siraji et all we don't cry like cry babies if someone pokes a jab at us. Similarly why can't the muslims say: "We are better than them. Let's move on and ignore them." After all as the old adage goes:

Would the moon go on shining if it paid attention to the dogs that bark at it?

I agree completely. Why waste time reacting to things that don't matter.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Look, this is what it looks like today.

It's a cool place, just like all apple stores in the world (my inner nerd talking). Man I miss NYC.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman

It's a cool place, just like all apple stores in the world (my inner nerd talking). Man I miss NYC.

Looks pretty slick.... And I never even thought of it or the kaaba in the same sentence til this thread... and even then, other than cube shape... I dunt see resemblance....

It looks quite cool though
Old July 26, 2009, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
It looks quite cool though
It is. There's a staircase leading to the basement where the actual shop is - this is just the entrance.
Old July 26, 2009, 11:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
It is. There's a staircase leading to the basement where the actual shop is - this is just the entrance.
Was wondering why nothing was inside...
Old July 26, 2009, 11:59 PM
Test Cricketer

over reaction.
Old July 27, 2009, 12:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

Haha, I was just there couple of weeks ago. Great place, friendly service. unfortunately they don't sell alcohol - trust me, I would have known. Having been there several times, I have never seen it not-busy.
Old July 27, 2009, 12:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Was wondering why nothing was inside...
As asif noted, its underground (glass staircase) and very spacious. I think the only time they ever close is before a new products launch. Next up, Apple notebook.
Old July 27, 2009, 12:19 AM
Cricket Legend

much ado about nothing

Polapain, monojog dia porashona koro. Pore boro hoye Apple a chakri nio. Tokhon shob kichhu system e falay dio. Until then, nijer chorkay tel dao.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
much ado about nothing
Its graver than that. The fact that this trash shows up in FC tells you what horrid disinformation campaigns many muslims propagate and fall for. Seriously, where the h is their spine?
Old July 27, 2009, 02:57 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
Its graver than that. The fact that this trash shows up in FC tells you what horrid disinformation campaigns many muslims propagate and fall for. Seriously, where the h is their spine?
Broke as always.
Old July 27, 2009, 03:53 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

I agree that someone copying the Kabah doesn not damage the esteem of the original Kabah at all. Muslims should let go such trifling matters and focus more on thier ibadah.

While Muslims make a lot of noise, it is not as if that the West do not like to take poke/mock at Islam. Take the example of hanging Saddam. There is no doubt that Saddam deserved the captital punishment after all his wrongdoings and the cruel violation of human rights, but why the day of Eid al Adha was chosen as his execution day? Didn't they try to make the whole fiasco look like the event of sacrificing a lamb? I didn't see any comment about Saddam's ececution day in BC.
Old July 27, 2009, 07:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

I cannot stand Islam-o-maniacs getting into hissy fits with their views (on the tiniest of matters) being portrayed as the oneness of the whole of Islam!

Nice building btw
Old July 27, 2009, 08:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Extraordinary example of architecture and technology.

I don't know why I should feel offended that a leading tech company has chosen one of the oldest building in the history of humankind as the template for it's store.

On a side note, our very own Baitul Mukarrum also followes the template o the holy Ka'ba. The activities that goes on in BM and it's surrounding markets is way more offending than this(seriously, a hand to hand combat before the jumma just because the Imam said something you don't like?)
Old July 27, 2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siraji
The activities that goes on in BM and it's surrounding markets is way more offending than this(seriously, a hand to hand combat before the jumma just because the Imam said something you don't like?)
Ha... or the CD stores selling seriously hardcore pr0n on the ground floor market of BM