facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 8, 2014, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Default ICC approved Big 3 plan

ICC MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Singapore, 8 February 2014

ICC Board approves changes to governance, competition and financial models of ICC

The ICC Board today approved a comprehensive resolution relating to the governance, competition and financial models of the ICC at a meeting in Singapore.

The key elements of the resolution are as follows:

Protecting Test cricket

A Test Cricket Fund will be introduced to help ensure all of the Test playing teams will be able to sustain a home programme of Test cricket through to 2023. The fund will be available to all of the Test playing Members except the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Cricket Australia (CA) and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

There was also confirmation that all Full Members will enter into a series of contractually binding bi-lateral agreements as a matter of urgency so that they can confirm a comprehensive schedule of matches in a Future Tours Programme that will now be extended to 2023.

Breaking the glass ceiling

Associate Members now have a clear pathway to playing Test cricket. The winner of the next ICC Intercontinental Cup will be entitled to take part in a play-off against the bottom-ranked Full Member and, if successful, obtain Test status. This complements the pathways that are already in place for any Member to be able to qualify for the major events in ODI and T20I cricket.

A certain and attractive package of ICC major events

The World Test Championship will be replaced with an ICC Champions Trophy in 2017 and 2021.

It proved impossible to come up with a format for a four-team finals event in Test cricket that fits the culture of Test cricket and preserves the integrity of the format.

The most recent ICC Champions Trophy event proved to be very popular with supporters around the world and the future events will build on this success. It’s also an event that any ICC Member (including the top Associate Members) can aspire to qualifying for by improving their performances in ODI cricket.

With the ICC Champions Trophy alongside the ICC Cricket World Cup and ICC World Twenty20 and the formats and venues already confirmed for all of these events the ICC has a really attractive package for 2015-23 to take to the market.

A new financial model for Full Members

Full Members will gain greater financial recognition based on the contribution they have made to the game, particularly in terms of finance, their ICC history and their on-field performances in the three formats.

This decision is the outcome of a negotiation between Members that has been required to provide long-term certainty of participation of all Members in both ICC events and bilateral series against other Members. Without that certainty, the rights for ICC events, which are to be taken to market this year, would have been significantly impacted and, by extension, so would the financial support that has driven the growth of cricket around the world.

The structure of the model will ensure that none of the Full Members will be worse off than they are at present and - if forecasts of revenue generation prove to be correct – all will be significantly better off. The agreement of the model has been an important part of a wider negotiation that will now provide long-term certainty of participation in ICC events by all of the Full Member teams.

Enhanced support for the leading Associate Members

Funds that will be directly distributed to Associate and Affiliate Members (AMs) will continue to grow, building on a dramatic increase in the previous cycle (2007-15) if revenue targets are achieved. There is also a commitment to continue to support tournaments for all of the AMs and a range of centralised services.

The planning process for the next cycle can now begin in earnest and, as part of this, there will be a review – in partnership with the AMs and their representatives – of the appropriate scope of services and tournaments and the suitability of the current scorecard distribution model of the funds.

N.Srinivasan from BCCI to Chair the ICC Board from mid-2014

The ICC Board will continue to be the primary decision-making body. From the start of July this year, the ICC Chairman will be N.Srinivasan from the BCCI.

A new Executive Committee will be formed to report into the Board. The initial Chair of this Executive Committee (ExCo) will be Wally Edwards from Cricket Australia while the Chair of the Finance and Commercial Affairs Committee (F&CA) will continue to be Giles Clarke from the ECB. These roles will be for an initial two year transitional period to 2016 only.

Once this transitional period is completed, the Chair of the ICC Board will be elected from within the ICC Board with all Full Member Directors entitled to stand for election.

BCCI, CA and ECB - will be represented on both sub-committees, along with two representatives of the other Full Members (who will be elected by the Board).

Several of these decisions still now need to be considered and adopted by the ICC’s Full Council. The relevant resolutions will now be drafted through the appropriate committees, including the Governance Committee and the Board before being submitted for approval to Full Council.

A set of proposals was initially developed by the respective Chairs of BCCI, CA and ECB – N.Srinivasan, Wally Edwards and Giles Clarke before being presented to a meeting of the Full Members on 9 January.

These proposals were then discussed, negotiated and modified at two subsequent ICC Board meetings. A resolution was put to a vote today and supported by the required majority of the ICC Board, including eight Full Members. Two of the Full Members – Pakistan Cricket Board and Sri Lanka Cricket - abstained in the vote as they felt they needed more time to discuss the amended resolution with their respective Boards.

ICC President Alan Isaac said: “The Board has made some significant decisions today which provide us with long-term certainty in relation to the future governance, competition and financial models of the ICC.

“This decision comes after extensive discussions between Members that I helped initiate and were given impetus through a position paper presented by the BCCI, Cricket Australia and ECB in early January.

“Since this time a set of resolutions have been drafted, negotiated and modified – based on a set of principles agreed by the ICC Board on 28 January – and finalized at the meeting today. There were eight Full Members who were in a position to support the resolution today and the two who abstained have pledged to further discuss the issues with an aim to reaching unanimous approval over the coming weeks.”

ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said: “We now have clear direction from the Board and it is our job to implement the approved resolution.”

The ICC Board consists of the chairman or president from each of the 10 Full Members plus three elected Associate Member representatives. Also present at ICC Board meetings is the ICC President, who chairs proceedings, the ICC Chief Executive and the ICC Vice-President.

Alan Isaac ICC President

Mustafa Kamal ICC Vice-President

David Richardson ICC Chief Executive

Zaka Ashraf Pakistan

Peter Chingoka Zimbabwe

Giles Clarke England and Wales

Wally Edwards Australia

Nazmul Hassan Bangladesh

Imran Khwaja Associate Member Representative

Emmanuel Nanthar * West Indies

Chris Nenzani South Africa

Keith Oliver Associate Member Representative

Nishantha Ranatunga * Sri Lanka

Martin Snedden New Zealand

Neil Speight Associate Member Representative

Narayanaswami Srinivasan India

Old February 8, 2014, 02:38 AM
Cricket Legend

So here it is at last. Protests, discussions failed.

SL and Pak did not vote means SA was sold out. Shame on you SA. You were the most vocal against the Draft.

Dark days are ahead for cricket.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old February 8, 2014, 02:38 AM
Administrator

Sri Lanka and Pakistan abstained. SA voted in favor.
Old February 8, 2014, 02:40 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
So here it is at last. Protests, discussions failed.

SL and Pak did not vote means SA was sold out. Shame on you SA. You were the most vocal against the Draft.

Dark days are ahead for cricket.
That was bound to happen as predicted by many about saffers. TBH I am happy what Papon did. At least he stayed in good books with godfathers.
Old February 8, 2014, 02:46 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

this was bound to happen... anyways.. we probably wont lose our test status and its good if Ireland or Afghanistan gets to challenge us next year or the year after. We will have at least another 10-12 tests before we have to face an associate team for the playoffs. Plenty of opportunity to climb on top of Zimbabwe or at least improve on the consistency. Zimbabwe has only 4 tests this year, 2 of which against South Africa. Bangladesh should be able to climb ahead of them. At home, Bangladesh will be expected to win both tests and if we can draw even 1 match against West Indies, we should be pretty close to topping them.

Not happy with the outcome but knowing the Top 3, it could have been a lot worse.
Old February 8, 2014, 02:50 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

At least BCB will arrange more competitive first class matches.
Old February 8, 2014, 02:53 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Brian Murgatroyd was talking about it as Dr Z was posting this news.

Old February 8, 2014, 02:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: rahul dravid

The Test Championship
idea has been binned.
The Champions Trophy
is back, and will be held
in 2017 and 2021
->Winner of the next
ICC Intercontinental
Cup will play the
bottom-ranked Test
side in a play-off.
Victory will give
them Test status.
Old February 8, 2014, 02:57 AM

Can anyone do a calculation that if Bangladesh draws this test, and wins both against Zimbabwe and draw 1 against West Indies, how many points will we have?
Old February 8, 2014, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
Can anyone do a calculation that if Bangladesh draws this test, and wins both against Zimbabwe and draw 1 against West Indies, how many points will we have?
It's not as simple as that. You'll also have to factor in all the other matches during the intervening periods to see what points Zim and WI will have when we actually do meet them.
Old February 8, 2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
It's not as simple as that. You'll also have to factor in all the other matches during the intervening periods to see what points Zim and WI will have when we actually do meet them.
cant speak for West Indies, but Zimbabwe will have the same points.... I dont see how they will win or draw against South Africa... so leaving West Indies out of the equation, can u calculate how many points Bangladesh will have defeating Zimbabwe assuming they have the same points as now?
Old February 8, 2014, 03:07 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
That was bound to happen as predicted by many about saffers. TBH I am happy what Papon did. At least he stayed in good books with godfathers.
Supporting injustice is a crime too. Big 3 did an injustice and we are part of it.

Sorry that I cannot agree with you about going with the Godfathers.

Morally you cannot do it. This is not democracy. This is dictatorship.

I knew that SA chokes on field, but now I came to know that they choke off the field too. Poor Saffers!

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old February 8, 2014, 03:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

If there is no relegation and we can secure 6 tests per year against top 8 sides, I support this and will say Papon pulled it off. Reserving final jugdement till then.

The rate we're going, we should pass ZIM soon, even sooner if we play them at home this year. Ireland will fancy their chances against ZIM.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 8, 2014, 03:24 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Tweet from Andrew Fernando sums it up for South Africa.

"South Africa choke in a clutch situation once again."

We are making steady progress in Test cricket and in 2 years time we should not be the bottom ranked team.
Old February 8, 2014, 03:30 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

^^^ InshAllah. I wont be surprised if Zimbabwe makes excuse to pull out of next series, which is supposed to be played in Bangladesh at the end of the year.
Old February 8, 2014, 03:50 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

So if we had abstained from voting it would not have passed right?
Old February 8, 2014, 03:54 AM
First Class Cricketer

Could somebody tell me what will happen to BD if say BD lost against Irel/Afg in play off match? Will BD lost the test status?
Old February 8, 2014, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
cant speak for West Indies, but Zimbabwe will have the same points.... I dont see how they will win or draw against South Africa... so leaving West Indies out of the equation, can u calculate how many points Bangladesh will have defeating Zimbabwe assuming they have the same points as now?
Use the calculator from tools, upper right in the menu.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:00 AM
Cricket Legend

"Associate Members now have a clear pathway to playing Test cricket. The winner of the next ICC Intercontinental Cup will be entitled to take part in a play-off against the bottom-ranked Full Member and, if successful, obtain Test status. This complements the pathways that are already in place for any Member to be able to qualify for the major events in ODI and T20I cricket."

So what does this mean? Do they gain the status at the cost of the 10th ranked team or do they just add to the tally? If they just add to the tally then I would encourage both bottom ranked team to loose on purpose to the associate team so they can have one more extra test team to play against.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Nope there is no relegation so we keep our test status anyways.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
So if we had abstained from voting it would not have passed right?
Risks the ire of the big 3 who could retaliate in some yet unknown way. i never cared about the money or power concentration. As long as can't get relegated and play 5-6. Tests against top 8 sides doesn't seem like we lose much.

Indications aren this is the case as ECB chairman Giles Clark confirmed the speculation about an 11th test team. 11 indicates we won't be facing relegation.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 8, 2014, 04:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Happy for Ireland but I think they will struggle to beat us in a home & away series. Let's hope for their sake we climb up above Zimbabwe by then.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:19 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Hope of test cricket will rope in English/Aus/NZ/Saffer player with Irish connection.
Old February 8, 2014, 04:50 AM
MLC World Series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
Morally you cannot do it. This is not democracy. This is dictatorship.
I am sure there was a voting.
Old February 8, 2014, 05:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
If there is no relegation and we can secure 6 tests per year against top 8 sides, I support this and will say Papon pulled it off. Reserving final jugdement till then.
Yeah if this happens, shouldn't fans be HAPPY rather than letting the whole 1 or 2 series max per year continue? I mean what exactly is the beef with proposal out of interest? I'm talking about the reformed draft, of course.