facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 8, 2017, 09:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340
Default Sabbir Rahman should be dropped from ODIs and Tests.

Sabbir Rahman is a pinnacle example of wasting talent, the guy has all the right shots, decent technique, yet when it comes to tour matches he turns into a Don Bradman, but in real matches he turns into a Moises Henriques.

Sabbir has no place in the test or ODI side, he should be dropped indefinitely until he can produce some good performances in domestic. I thought he could of been a solid number 3. Oh how wrong I was.

His lack of temperament for the longer formats are absolutely shocking, his t20 style approach to ODI and Test will only keep him from scoring hundreds, at most Sabbir will score a average 60 or 70 and be out after that. We need to invest in long term talents such as Liton and Mominul in Test and ODI.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

He could've been but it didn't materialise, perhaps in time it still might but until he learns how to consistently score runs I don't see a place for him in the test xi, perhaps should still be in ODIs perhaps not, if he doesn't do well this series then a drop from ODIs could also be in order.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:23 PM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

I was an advocate for his test inclusion earlier but he doesn't have the temperament for tests. We are wasting a Mosaddek/Nasir to include Sabbir in the test lineup. Those guys have much better temperament and somewhat chip in to bowl compared to Sabbir.

I disagree with ODI however. He should be in the ODI XI but not @ 3. His T20 approach and style of play is more suited down the order when we need quick runs. It has worked very well many times before and we should not try to shoehorn him into #3.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
I was an advocate for his test inclusion earlier but he doesn't have the temperament for tests. We are wasting a Mosaddek/Nasir to include Sabbir in the test lineup. Those guys have much better temperament and somewhat chip in to bowl compared to Sabbir.

I disagree with ODI however. He should be in the ODI XI but not @ 3. His T20 approach and style of play is more suited down the order when we need quick runs. It has worked very well many times before and we should not try to shoehorn him into #3.
Top post
Old October 8, 2017, 09:34 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
I was an advocate for his test inclusion earlier but he doesn't have the temperament for tests.
Last 4 series he played 12 innings. He scored 1 50 and had 2 ducks and 2 4's. The rest 7 innings he got a start but gave it away. That shows he is not ready for test yet.

Overall he is averaging 26. That is a bowlers avg who can bat.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Plenty deserve opportunities ahead of him in tests including guys like shanto, tasamul, even anamul can get another go, just batsmen who are consistent. Even in short formats shanto is pushing hard for a spot in the squad.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Should bat at 6 or 7 in the ODI team. Shouldnt even be on the A team for longer version.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 8, 2017, 10:09 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Shabbir and Sarker are not test match worthy. They should only focus on limited overs. Test failures may cause severe damage to their limited over abilities.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Shabbir and Sarker are not test match worthy. They should only focus on limited overs. Test failures may cause severe damage to their limited over abilities.
Yes it looks like that way. Test failure will indeed damage their whole career. Let them establsih in ODI and T20 first before throwing them all format. Some players can switch, most young players cannot.
Old October 9, 2017, 03:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

The problem is BD culture, if he gets dropped and then if he shows maturity and score lots of runs--still he won't return to international.then after 30,he will be considered old and his door will be locked forever.
In bd, u have to perform in national team at early age before showing any consistency in domestic league.
Old October 9, 2017, 08:49 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

He should be dropped from the test side along with Sarker, but he's an important player in limited overs. In ODIs, he should be batting where he use to bat. His fielding is very important. Selections are questionable for sure.
Old October 9, 2017, 10:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

Guy is overhyped, only suitable for t20s
Old October 9, 2017, 11:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

He is best for T20 format
Old October 9, 2017, 12:46 PM
Cricket Guru

I disagree - at home, against a spin heavy SL, I think Sabbir's aggressive batting will be something effective. I would rather bench Soumya and Momin, for their weakness against spin.

Bring in SN or even Junaid in this series as opener/one-down. Those guys been dominating domestics for last few seasons, this series should be ideal to give them another chance.
Old October 9, 2017, 03:24 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Here's the pecking order for who needs to be dropped:

1) Imrul
2) Riyad
3) Sabbir
4) Soumya

As much I was an advocate for Soumya and Sabbir, I'm ready to concede they are not test material. But, it's unfair to drop these two and keep Imrul and Riyad. Drop all 4, but first start with the two that have had chance after chance over the course of a decade.
Old October 9, 2017, 03:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Here is our batting stats at subcontinent for past three years, barring Zim matches - http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

As I stated earlier, Momin and Soumya have been our weakest links here. So, my drop order would be -

1 Momin
2 Soumya
3 Sabbir
4 Riyad
5 Imrul
Old October 9, 2017, 08:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Here is our batting stats at subcontinent for past three years, barring Zim matches - http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

As I stated earlier, Momin and Soumya have been our weakest links here. So, my drop order would be -

1 Momin
2 Soumya
3 Sabbir
4 Riyad
5 Imrul
I don't understand how you came up with that list based on the stats link you posted.
Old October 9, 2017, 07:21 PM
Cricket Legend

He should remain in the limited overs forms as #6 in ODIS and #3 in T20s. He's the only genuine slogger we have in the team. Get him to come in late and swing for the hills.
Old October 9, 2017, 08:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

For ODIs, if the team is in a position such as 140+ for 1 wicket, I would send in Sabbir, to hit the nail in the opponents head.
Old October 9, 2017, 08:43 PM
Cricket Guru

^^ Simple, look at the averages. Worst one is at the top.

You don't really need whole lot of analysis to say Momin has been on a downward spiral for a very long time (ie three years). I think Hathuru was right to bench him during last SL series. I see no change to reverse that decision against the same opposition.

Soumya did well in that last series in SL. But he remains inconsistent. With his severe lack of footwork, not sure why he has been brought in the Test team to begin with.

Unlike them, Sabbir is a technically sound player. His attacking style may not be best tactic outside Subcontinent, but should be very effective to unsettle spinners at home.
Old October 9, 2017, 11:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:

Unlike them, Sabbir is a technically sound player. His attacking style may not be best tactic outside Subcontinent, but should be very effective to unsettle spinners at home.
Sabbir's technique is average. Soumya's is below average. Mushy's is top class and Tamim close behind that. Momin I would say has the third best technique in the team currently. Its quite compact.

His problem has been tentativeness and shot selection secondary to that. For example, he twice got out to Pererra lbw playing on the backfoot. That was a misjudgement of the line and or he got beaten by an arm ball or turn that wasnt there. He repeated the same thing vs Lyon. Vs Ashwin he was caught at slip, same dismissal vs Moeen Ali. Can happen to anyone. That about sums up his issues with off spin.

But he's actually played pace fairly well. In NZ he handled Boult and Southee decently till he got an unplayable ball from the latter. In SA he got a bad lbw shout, and was out twice to innocuous balls he could have easily left.

He will eventually come good and I think we ought to stick with him. Tamim didnt hit any hundreds for 4 years from 2010 to 2014, Shakib from 2012 to 2015, Mushy from 2010 to 2013 despite playing a lot matches.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old October 9, 2017, 08:57 PM
Cricket Guru

As for Riyad and Imrul, I understand the frustration with them. But they are still somewhat better stop gap options for our Test team, especially at home, giving guys like Shanto and Mosaddek little bit more time to mature.
Old October 10, 2017, 12:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
As for Riyad and Imrul, I understand the frustration with them. But they are still somewhat better stop gap options for our Test team, especially at home, giving guys like Shanto and Mosaddek little bit more time to mature.
But they are not stop gap, we are past that point now. If anything, they are the ones preventing us from playing guys like Shanto and Moss (although Moss is injured). Their avg. is marginally better than Soumy/Sabbir and they have had a decade longer to get acclimated.

Every selection always comes down to "it's an important tour, we need experienced seniors like Imrul and Mullah". Well our senior players are sh*t. Imrul and Mullah are sh*t. Experience means very little when that experience consists of edging your way through your entire career.

I hate the fact that Imrul got that century against Pak. I hate the fact that Mullah got those two centuries in WC. Because those rare events are bookended by complete sh*t pathetic performances.
Old October 10, 2017, 12:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
But they are not stop gap, we are past that point now. If anything, they are the ones preventing us from playing guys like Shanto and Moss (although Moss is injured). Their avg. is marginally better than Soumy/Sabbir and they have had a decade longer to get acclimated.

Every selection always comes down to "it's an important tour, we need experienced seniors like Imrul and Mullah". Well our senior players are sh*t. Imrul and Mullah are sh*t. Experience means very little when that experience consists of edging your way through your entire career.

I hate the fact that Imrul got that century against Pak. I hate the fact that Mullah got those two centuries in WC. Because those rare events are bookended by complete sh*t pathetic performances.
This is where things are still a little bit like the ashraful days. Just because they've scored a couple of centuries here or there doesn't make their experience valuable when it's happened over the course of a decade.

I reckon the likes of shanto and liton have more FC centuries to their names in less matches than guys like imrul and riyad had when they came into the national team and debuted. So these youngsters are already a cut above in that regard.

Talent, technique, temperament and consistency. Those traits are the key for batsmen or for bowlers.

I said it many times in the ashraful days what is the use of selecting due to experience if that experience is averaging 25 as a batsman. If your aim is for batsmen to average 40+, and it should be, then at the very least your senior batsmen need to have kept a 40 average consistently at test level over the course of 3+ years otherwise I don't think they can really offer too much to youngsters.

Guys like shanto and liton who are playing big innings consistently in domestic competitions already know how to produce a big innings better and more often than imrul and riyad do. Tamim, mushy and shakib might be able to help them but that's about all.
Old October 10, 2017, 12:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
This is where things are still a little bit like the ashraful days. Just because they've scored a couple of centuries here or there doesn't make their experience valuable when it's happened over the course of a decade.

I reckon the likes of shanto and liton have more FC centuries to their names in less matches than guys like imrul and riyad had when they came into the national team and debuted. So these youngsters are already a cut above in that regard.

Talent, technique, temperament and consistency. Those traits are the key for batsmen or for bowlers.

I said it many times in the ashraful days what is the use of selecting due to experience if that experience is averaging 25 as a batsman. If your aim is for batsmen to average 40+, and it should be, then at the very least your senior batsmen need to have kept a 40 average consistently at test level over the course of 3+ years otherwise I don't think they can really offer too much to youngsters.

Guys like shanto and liton who are playing big innings consistently in domestic competitions already know how to produce a big innings better and more often than imrul and riyad do. Tamim, mushy and shakib might be able to help them but that's about all.
It is exactly like Ashraful days. This is what happens when you don't look at stats, and only rely on that 1 or 2 fond memories of a player. It clouds your judgment.