facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 13, 2004, 01:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Mirpur Stadium

Ok, pompous told us on the other thread that after BNS the Mirpur Stadium is the next headquarter. Can u give description of M. S. compared to BNS? Like how big it is, how many fans can it hold, is it qualified to be an international cricket stadium etc. etc....

Do any of you by chance have the picture of the M. S.? if yes, can u post it here, plz plz plz......

Old October 13, 2004, 02:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Rafiq,Wasim,Lee,Inzy

As I know, MS is not as beautiful as BNS.
Old October 13, 2004, 02:30 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Once in my life, long time ago, I went to Mirpur stadium to watch a Bangladesh vs. Thailand football match. In my opinion, the stadium was below par certainly in comparison to Dhaka stadium. Crowd capacity is certainly lower at Mirpur. Nothing beats Dhaka stadium.
Old October 13, 2004, 04:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Mirpur Stadium is named as Sher-e-Bangla Stadium. In fact this was the Dhaka divisional stadium. Location is good with easy access from different area of Dhaka. It's located near to the Mirpur #10 Roundabout. Unlike BNS, it was a standard Football stadium with a 400m Athletic turf, which has already been removed. This stadium has a capacity of 50,000 spectators.(as I remember). As I told in the other thread, BNS is the original cricket ground with an oval shape and large outfield. I don't understand, how football and athletics can claim this stadium. I know that most of the football teams are based on old Dhaka and nearby area; and that's the only thing. otherwise, in BNS two full football grounds are accommodated. A football stadium should be exactly of a size to accommodate one standard ground, so that spectators can see good and cheer closely from all sides.
However, everything in our country is upside-down. Now as it is clear from the newspapers, Shere Bangla Stadium has been rebuilt with lots of new facilities for cricket with the provision of Gym, Swimming pool, a series of nets to practice and so on. This much I can tell about our "New Home".
Old October 13, 2004, 04:27 PM
Banned

Yes, MS was built with a 10k capacity over tjhe BNS. That should put the attendance value to a max between 45-50 thousand.

Yes also, MS is ugly. And so is Mirpur. But with all the renovation and proximity of various athletic centers, can make it one attractive location. Its a pitty though with the Astros that were laid down their, only to be no longer their. Only in BD.

Since its BD, we'll have some powerful football loving honcho in some powerful govt. of the future fall in love with all the jazzy renovations for cricket. And then they'll call a hartal to relocate football to the MS.
Old October 13, 2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

Ok, so ruling party honchos never call Hartals. Maybe a patriotic movement instead.
Old October 14, 2004, 05:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Well as far as I'm concerned....No matter how ugly Mirpur Stadium is..The BCB is turning this ugly place into a complete cricket complex with even indoor facilities....Well..Thats wot i read in papers anywayz....If that happens...It shud be pretty close to Dhaka Stadium standards....I still reckon BNS is the best place for cricket..
Old October 14, 2004, 05:51 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Did any of the SAF Games ever took place in Mirpur Stadium? I vaguely remember going to a stadium with my family where I saw atheletes running on the atheletic turf. It could be the Army stadium, too, that is, if there was any International event taken place in the Army stadium or not.

As far as the outside scenary around the stadium goes, I think both BNS and Mirpur are similar - a very crowded place - there's always traffic jams around those two stadiums.
Old October 14, 2004, 05:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I think the athletics event of SAF Games '85 was held at the Army Stadium...I'm not sure though..
Old October 14, 2004, 06:15 AM
Cricket Legend

I don't remember anything about SAF games in SBS(Mirpur Stadium), But some athletic events were held, may be of national or international level.
Old October 14, 2004, 09:20 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Shehwar
Well as far as I'm concerned....No matter how ugly Mirpur Stadium is..The BCB is turning this ugly place into a complete cricket complex with even indoor facilities....
Just one 'behind the scene' info for you guys... the renovation program of the Mirpur Stadium, as far as I know, is way behind the schedule.. its only in its initial stage!!

The Architectural & other remodelling proposals are only being invited by the authority very recently!!
I will try to give you guys more updates of the renovation programs if it is possible for me to collect more info.

I was really surprised to see that Cricket is gonna be shifted there on march 2005.. because as far as my knowledge goes... Its gonna take much longer for the renovation works to be completed.

So, I guess, we are gonna hav matches played there before the completion of the reonvation works.. and with time we will hav a complete cricket stadium. Because a renovation work of such scale will take atleast 1-1.5 years to complete..even if it is done in full speed!
Old October 14, 2004, 10:31 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

well...it is sad that cricket is losing BNS (steeped in cricket history) however, lets look at the bright side. Mirpur stadium could be a happier hunting ground for our Tigers. They probably should feel less pressure playing in such a new setting with very little cricket history, but at the same time with customized cricket facilities. Tigers can start fresh and make their own history there. It is a good decision overall for the city. BNS itself and area around it are crowded with shops and the various kinds of businesses. It has reached the shocking point. The whole downtown scene there is a nightmare. Shifting it to Mirpur will give the area around the new stadium a nice boost, in terms of business and facilities, considering the regular international fixtures that will be held there.
Old October 14, 2004, 10:54 AM
Banned

Fully agree with Pompous. The area in and around the #10 circle needs a facelift. Hopefully with the additional attention, things will go for the better, and not the opposite instead.

They do need to put a lid on the local "Mastani" though.

I grew up in Pallabi before it became the dumpster that it is now, so talk about that area brings back fond memories.