facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 23, 2009, 08:37 AM
Street Cricketer

Default England touring bangladesh

Hi guys just wondered if anyone was any the wiser as to when the tour dates would be realeased with it being a little over 6 months away i need to get it organised.

Old July 23, 2009, 08:43 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo
Hi guys just wondered if anyone was any the wiser as to when the tour dates would be realeased with it being a little over 6 months away i need to get it organised.
Welcome to BanglaCricket.

Reg Dickason and his team are currently visiting Bangladesh for the security clearance.

The tour is scheduled to be held in February-March 2010.
Old July 23, 2009, 08:49 AM
Street Cricketer

Really i wasnt aware of that so hoepfully it shouldn't be long before we get some dates. Where would you reccomend me to visit with the tests being played at chittagong and dhaka i can only do one. Being from england i like to visit new places.
Old July 23, 2009, 08:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Welcome abroad timbo..enjoy your stay. Are you planning to come while the tour?
Old July 23, 2009, 09:00 AM
Street Cricketer

Thankyou Auntu

Yes im planning on visiting when england tour but waiting on the dates of the tests and not sure between dhaka or chittagong, whats it like for brits out there e.g security and such like bringing the mrs i need to know it will be safe obvisually
Old July 23, 2009, 09:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Go to Sylhet, timbo...although, there wont be any cricket there Dont take any advice from any other members here.

There are so many lovely tea gardens and beautiful places in Sylhet. Just get yourself a transister and you can keep up with the game through Bangladesh Betars (Radio) live coverage of the match whilst sipping the best tea in the world in an idylic location. Btw, you will find radio commentary to be very colourful and knowledgable.
Old July 23, 2009, 09:29 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Hi Timbo, I would suggest Chittagong so that you can visit Cox'sBazar (which is nearby and longest sea beach of the world) at the end of the Test series.
Old July 23, 2009, 09:31 AM
Street Cricketer

Thanks guys, whats security like is it a safe country for brits in general. I will take a look into chittagong abit further
Old July 23, 2009, 09:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Welcome to banglacricket Timbo!

When I went to Cox's Bazar, I saw TONS of foreigners there. For that to be the case, the security level must be pretty good. My Aunt is white but when she went to visit Bangladesh a few years ago, she had no problems, except for the occasional harmless stares from people that might have never seen a white person before.
Old July 23, 2009, 10:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Security in Sylhet is much better for a Brit. Just tell them you know the Brick Lane Massive.
Old July 23, 2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

BD people are well known for their friendliness and hospitality, foreigners are safe and usually they enjoy their stay in BD.
Much safer than some European and US cities.
Old July 23, 2009, 11:47 AM
BC Editorial Team

Timbo welcome. WRT to going to Bangladesh, I'd recommend a couple of days in Dhaka and then prolly the Test match / ODI in Chittagong. The cost will be reasonable unless you feel like you must stay in one of the top end hotels. Asides from the risk of petty theft, tourists are very well treated. You'll get the odd stare, and the odd guy trying to help in broken English
Old July 23, 2009, 12:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Timbo...if you're going to Bangladesh for the series, I highly recommend that you spend an extra week or two in going to different places in Bangladesh. There are vacation agencies such as Porjoton (and now there are many more that I don't know about) which can help you get around. Just to list a few good places:

1. Sundarban - largets mangrove forest in the world; there's Royal Bengal Tigers there, you can go to nearby palces such as Bagerhat. There's a 60-dome mosque there, which is of great historical value to us.

2. Cox's Bazar - you'll find out why we recommend you to go there. This place has got great hotels, such as Hotel Seagul. You'll enjoy your stay there, and the folks there are very happy to help tourists.

3. Dhaka - there are many places, such as the Parliament, Sonargaon (previous Capital), Ahsan Manzil, etc.

4. Sylhet - tea garden

5. Saint Martin's Island - a heavenly place; google it and you'll see what i mean

6. many more...just ask...

As for security, you'll be fine in Dhaka and Chittagong. Typically people are very welcoming to foreigners. After getting to Bangladesh, make sure you keep your passport and travel documents in a safe place...use traveller's cheques or Credit Card to get Bangladeshi Taka.

Don't forget to come and ask here at BanglaCricket for suggestions from member before you leave from Dhaka - it's free
Old July 23, 2009, 12:43 PM
Cricket Sage

welcome to BC bro. i suggest you visit the forget cricket section, and visit the Dhaka Restaurant thread before you leave. good luck
Old July 23, 2009, 01:11 PM
Street Cricketer

Guys,

Thanks for the welcome. My plan is to spend 2 weeks overall in the country. Once the dates are set i can go about booking something more concrete. Im seriously looking forward to visiting your country. With the other half coming with me a beach would be a good start cant take her to 5 days of cricket and not let her see a beach. Whats the local beer in bang? Will be good to visit some of your bars and see a different way of life.
Old July 23, 2009, 01:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Someone's surely gonna have a good time. Good luck...I wish I could've gone.
Old July 23, 2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Real player,Media player

Ironically we have so many LARGEST thing in our one of the Smallest Country in the world..

for example
1. Sundarban Forest (Khulna) - largets mangrove forest in the world with famous Royal Bengal tigers + many other things i believe (never been there)
- go here : http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/798

2. Cox's Bazaar- longest sea beach of the world and most popular spot(and i think was a candidate for natural wonder of the world)
-go here: http://www.thingsasian.com/stories-photos/2334

3. Tea Garden (Sylhet) - One of The Largest Producer in the world with one of the largest tea gardens + alot of mountains which is needed for tea plants to grow + The Only waterfall in Bangladesh
-go here: http://www.guideinbd.com/sylhet.html

4. Boshundhara City (Dhaka) - South Asia's Biggest shopping centre + the capital city of the country + the FAKE TAJ MAHAL lol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7c1JoKvB98)

Now it depends on what kind of person you are. If you like natural beauty..go Cox's Bazaar/Sylhet/Sundharban National park.
If you like technology and development and chaos .. then stay around the main cities like DHAKA

For More details and your tour information..check these out :
http://www.journeyplus.com/longest_sea_beach.html
http://www.guideinbd.com/tour_spot.html

oh boy..can someone remind me of the size of Bangladesh? lol

Last edited by Umar; July 23, 2009 at 04:24 PM..
Old July 23, 2009, 03:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Nice suggestions coming up. I think timbo can easily pick from these and have a nice trip to Bangladesh. Enjoy your stay.
In Dhaka Test some of the BC members will also be in the gallery.
Old July 23, 2009, 03:31 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib

Hi Timbo,
WikiTravel has a pretty good comprehensive guide (mostly geared to visitors from western countries) about travelling in Bangladesh. You can find it at this link: http://wikitravel.org/en/Bangladesh . Hope you have a fun and enjoyable stay in Bangladesh.

regards,
rashid
Old July 23, 2009, 03:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umar
Ironically we have so many LARGEST thing in our one of the Smallest Country in the world..

for example
1. Sundarban National park (Barisal) - largets mangrove forest in the world with famous Royal Bengal tigers + many other things i believe (never been there)
- go here : http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/798

..................l
That's not national Park, and LOL it's in Khulna, not Barisal.

It has spotted dears, Monkeys, Varieties of birds and possibly crocks in the water, beside Tigers.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Real player,Media player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
That's not national Park, and LOL it's in Khulna, not Barisal.

It has spotted dears, Monkeys, Varieties of birds and possibly crocks in the water, beside Tigers.
lol Thank you for correcting bro. I will fix them now. As i said i havn't been there..so i was kinda tryin to picture the BD map lol. its been years since I last looked at one
Old July 23, 2009, 04:28 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo
Whats the local beer in bang? Will be good to visit some of your bars and see a different way of life.
Alcohol is available, but only in certain places. You have to look for it.

If you're in a tourist destination such as Cox's Bazar, you'll have plenty. But it's not local...it's imported stuff.

Local equivalent to beer is 'Tari' as far as I know. But I'm not sure if you should try it.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Timbo, Keru. Keru >> Guinness. Our players only lose to Ireland when they don't have enough Keru in their system to negate the opponent's Guinness levels.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Lol...forgot, yea it's Keru.

ATMR mone hoy ghumanor por ebong ghum theke uthar aage ek botol kore 'Keru' khay.
Old July 23, 2009, 06:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahela Jayawardene

England touring Bangladesh.....FINALLY!!! Hooray!! Plz post the dates if you hv them!!