facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 17, 2006, 10:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Default The Real Slim Shady behind Aftab Incident

Good that Ponting was fined. That makes it official - what he did was wrong. I can only wish Bashar was as aggressive as Ponting ...

Aftab's out will not be reversed, obviously. Also, as far as I am concerned, Aftab was legitimately out.

But the main culprit, as far as I can discern, was our own Umpire Mahbubur Rahman, or as he has been called many times in the past by our forum members - গাধা মাহবুব .

A few minutes after the Aftab incident, they were showing Mahbub behind the glass enclosure for 3rd Ump. That callous epitome-of-indecision was not watching the match! He had his walkie-talkie sitting in front of him and he was slouching in his chair and dozing off!!! He was nowhere near the TV set, he had his eyes closed.

During the past matches that Mahbub officiated, we also saw his incompetent decision making. Shout load enough and you will get your decison.

This guy cannot make a confident decision. He is easily pressured. And now it seems (Per the match referee), this guy cannot even speak or understand proper english. With players, I can understand how English skills are not relevant at all. But for Umpires, fluency in English should be a pre-requisite, whether they are on the field, or off the field being 3rd Ump.

Mahbub needs to be given a long ( let's say 50 years) break from officiating international matches. And may be he can take care of his fickle mind and that beer-gut during that time.

Last edited by Sauron; April 17, 2006 at 01:36 PM..

Old April 17, 2006, 10:19 AM
Cricket Legend

haha...I think u r right, mahbub was not asked asked to show red or green (thats what our greatest 'well wisher' Ravi Shashtri said..) but now it kinda makes sense.

i think he was sleeping.....haha.... cant stop laughing...
________
Mexico hotels

Last edited by ialbd; February 19, 2011 at 11:47 PM..
Old April 17, 2006, 10:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

25%. thats too less
Old April 17, 2006, 10:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Ghada Mahbub... hehe
Old April 17, 2006, 10:31 AM
First Class Cricketer

hahahahahha

Match ref said that ponting did not ask for any referral about the decision. Then? What was he talking about?

He might have noticed that someone up in a neat room was dreaming. He thought why the hell I am working so hard. Hai come on somebody wake that fat guy up. And then the on field umpires called him on walkie talkie. Dude, break off. Now that explains why Mahbub could not understand english and gave aftab out.
Old April 17, 2006, 10:33 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
25%. thats too less
How about 200%. Make him pay for playing against BD :p
Old April 17, 2006, 10:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

He got away with little punishment. if it was any sub-continent player then he might face 1 or 2 match suspension
Old April 17, 2006, 11:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
He got away with little punishment. if it was any sub-continent player then he might face 1 or 2 match suspension
I agree with you almost completely. But the point is not what Ponting did or what punishment he got.

Regardless of what Ponting did, this snafu would not have happened but for G Mahbub. If Mahbub made a decision, he should just stick with it.

Thank God that in Bangladesh we don't obey our traffic signals. If G Mahbub was driving and the signal turned Yellow, he would toggle between stop or go and eventually stop right on the intersection causing a multiple car wreck.

Old April 17, 2006, 11:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Ofcourse ponting is at fault... but at the same time, umpires should've known that when someone is given not out, opposing captain can't come up and disagree with it and ask to reconsider... they just went with it which doesn't make sense... also match referee was sitting there watching the show
Old April 17, 2006, 01:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ponting must have realised who was the 3rd umpire so he had to help him out !!
Old April 17, 2006, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Ofcourse ponting is at fault... but at the same time, umpires should've known that when someone is given not out, opposing captain can't come up and disagree with it and ask to reconsider... they just went with it which doesn't make sense... also match referee was sitting there watching the show
Only if the 3rd Ump did his job right the first time, none of these would have happened.

I fully agree that Ponting did the wrong thing. But he got his reward (Aftab's wicket) because of G Mahbub.
Old April 17, 2006, 01:34 PM
ODI Cricketer

Ponting realised Aftab was out because our own dressing room conveyed the message to our batsman. Also He saw the Green Light and the fact that the idiot took ages so Ponting took matters in to his own hands. Also He might have heard the Umprire Howell asking the wrong thing and not asking the straigh forwar question ' did the ball come off the boot' nothing else .
Old April 17, 2006, 02:03 PM
Cricket Legend

I wonder what could be the point misunderstood by Mahbub

There ball clearly came off the bat—there was no question about that.
The catch was clearly taken- there was no question about that too.
The only question involved-whether the ball bounced on the ground.
Even if Mahbub misunderstood what was really asked for (this means he was not checking whether the ball bounced on the ground) - his answer would have been OUT because the ball was hit by bat and the catch was clearly taken. Instead Mahbub gave NOT OUT which indicates he clearly considered the right issue and found the video evidence of the incident inconclusive.

Either the Match Referee dumping the issue on Mahbub who is not smart enough to stand up against it OR Mahbub is just a plain dumb to think the appeal was for LBW or hitting-the-ball-twice!!!!!!!
Old April 17, 2006, 02:34 PM
Cricket Legend

I don't think match referee was trying to dump it on Mahbub. Rather I think Match Referee was just trying to be nice and politically correct by not saying directly that we have a 3rd Ump who does not understand English well enough and does not think clearly enough.
Old April 17, 2006, 04:15 PM
First Class Cricketer

We keep blaming Mahbub. But it's also the fault of Ian Howell. When Ponting ws pressuring him for a review (or whatever it was), his straight answer should have been that a decision has been made on the issue (may be it's the wrong decision). But it's the decision of an officiating umpire. So the issue is closed and no further discussion is possible. Instead, he decided to use his walkie-talkie and revise the decision.

I would say his is the bigger fault. Mahbub doesn't know english. That's entirely possible. But the on field umpire knows perfect english and he needed to have some guts. Wrong decisions are part of any game and are being made all the time. Going beyond rules of the game to make it right is not acceptable.
Old April 17, 2006, 04:53 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible
We keep blaming Mahbub. But it's also the fault of Ian Howell. When Ponting ws pressuring him for a review (or whatever it was), his straight answer should have been that a decision has been made on the issue (may be it's the wrong decision). But it's the decision of an officiating umpire. So the issue is closed and no further discussion is possible. Instead, he decided to use his walkie-talkie and revise the decision.

I would say his is the bigger fault. Mahbub doesn't know english. That's entirely possible. But the on field umpire knows perfect english and he needed to have some guts. Wrong decisions are part of any game and are being made all the time. Going beyond rules of the game to make it right is not acceptable.
Well said sensible, Ian Howell was simply dominated by Ponting. Shame!!
Old April 17, 2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

Spineless Aleem and nepo Ian Howell is at fault for giving into ragtag hooliganism. The aussies have gotten away with it so much, that they dared to hit the umpire that day. Mahboob is not a factor here. Brett Lee came close to hitting the umpire early on the game. Him and ponting tried to re write the book on regulations of cricket. Then, Brett Lee hit Aleem Dar.

This 25% match fee crap is just a way to take attention away from the physical assault Aleem received from the Aussies. Come on ! & Please, leave the idiot Mahboob alone. He is not even important enough to be a factor...
Old April 17, 2006, 06:08 PM
Cricket Legend

All Mahbub needed to say was "What I said before stands".

Ian Howell is as spineless as can be, but what could have been asked differently the second time that warranted a different response from Mahbub?

If you follow Babubangla's post above, he explained the equation pretty eloquently.
Old April 17, 2006, 07:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

The Umpires should also be fined for changing their decision, when asked by a captain to do so.
Old April 17, 2006, 07:08 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron
All Mahbub needed to say was "What I said before stands".

Ian Howell is as spineless as can be, but what could have been asked differently the second time that warranted a different response from Mahbub?

If you follow Babubangla's post above, he explained the equation pretty eloquently.
I don't think Mahbub had any chance of saying that. As I understand it, Ian Howell asked him the very specific question about where the ball bounced at: on the boot or pitch. I guess Mahbub could have said it's inconclusive. But IW never asked for his opinion the second time. When he got the response from Mahbub, Ian Howell revised the decision, not Mahbub.
Old April 17, 2006, 09:46 PM
Cricket Legend

I still dont understand what was happening. Poor Aftab given false hope only to take it away few minutes later. I think Mahbub didnt understand the english Howell was speaking. Nadir SHah is much better than Mahbub and should get his long awaited chance.