facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 15, 2006, 10:55 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Bangladesh Vs Kenya Series; Bangladesh's progress or Kenya's decline? Your opinion

At the end, Bangladesh win the series convincingly. This is the first away series win for Bangladesh in her cricket history. I am not satisfied with the performance of BD team. In each of the matches Bangladesh batting failed to perform up to required standard. Bangladesh need to solve the continuous top order debacle to have any chance in the upcoming ICC champions trophy.

Fielding was pathetic and has spilled two to three catches in every match. Only strong point was bowling and particularly two pacers. They shared 20 wickets between them.

New boys have started their international career well and apart from bowling that's the only positive from the series.

On the other hand, Kenya's performance is simply inexplicable. They fought hard but their batting was simply clueless. Bowling looked more than ordinary. It's the stupidity of BD batsmen which made couple of matches interesting.

IMO, current series win against Kenya does not represnt Bangladesh's true progress rather indicates the decline of Kenya Cricket.

What's your thought?

Last edited by Miraz; August 15, 2006 at 11:07 AM..

Old August 15, 2006, 11:04 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

ditto

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 15, 2006, 11:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Well said. I didn't see any good batsman in Kenya's lineup other than Tikolo. All the new batsmen looked shaky and clueless against Mashrafee and Rasel.
Old August 15, 2006, 12:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

yes, agree with you Miraz Bhai.
this win against Kenya does not vindicate our progress, but neverthless, a win is a win and especially if its a first overseas series win.
after all, we had to start somewhere.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 15, 2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Definitly progress, just look at what Tikolo did against us this time. Great improvement.
Old August 15, 2006, 12:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Both team declined. But Kenya definitly declined more and there is not much hope despite what Samir of Keynia cricket board says. What is astounding is that there were so few spectatotrs. Even my para game has more fans watching.
Old August 15, 2006, 01:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

1)The Batting department did much worse than previous BD-KEN series.
2)The Bowling deparntment did much better than Previous sereis... specially the pacers did great in Faster Kenyan wickets.

In short... this is the summery. So in total... I would say it was not a very impressive show alltogether. Kenya were bowled out low in two matches..full credit to the bowlers. But even to chase 119..BD lost 4 wickets. What will they do against stronger teams? This ZIM kenya series leaving some marks of worry with the upcoming Champ Trophy & World Cup in near future.
Old August 15, 2006, 02:40 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Age may have caught up with S Tikolo. He is on the wrong side of 35.

I agree with all of you that this performance shows the bowlers performed better than any previous series. However, the batting almost made me sick to my stomack. The new blood injected to the side is like a breathe of fresh air. Hope they can continue to perform when we face SL and WI. That would be a big step for these young cubs and an alarming bell ringing into the seniors ears including Bashar.
Old August 15, 2006, 05:02 PM
Cricket Legend

I agree with Ahmed_B. We need to concentrate on batting and fielding departments, if we really want to do better in near future.
Old August 15, 2006, 06:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

i didn't see any improvement in batting from both side. but our bowling improved a lot
Old August 15, 2006, 07:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Most likely both. But atleast for toady I would like to see the +ve side only, And that is

The re-imergence of Mashrafee, only with the ball but also with that bat.
- The admirable performance (so far) by Farhad as well as Sakib. The maturity of Farhad really surprised me.
- The constant progress of Razzak. He is taking every opportunity that he is getting.
- The performance of Rasel, whenever he got one.
- The constant progress of Shahadat (even though he didn't played in this series.
- Ability to say good-bye to Golla and Alok
- The immergence of Farhad and Sakib will create some pressure and healthy competition for Ash, Aftab and Rajin.

So basically all the young and the ruthless (Farhad, Sakib, Razzak, Shahadat, Rasel And Nafees in some extent) performed better than the oldies in general term for this whole tour.
Old August 15, 2006, 07:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

i agree with latecut. both of the teams decline--but kenya decline WAY more than b'desh--it was hilarious watching two amateur team play. kudos to mash thou, he was only world-class player playing.
Old August 15, 2006, 07:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Lets see in one sentence- batting was very poor, bowling was good I am not gonna say very good cos they got help from the umpires and kenya played crap as well, fielding was poor, we dropped several catches in the series, did field poorly that produced some extra runs,in the end we saw a ray of hope in Reza and Saqib.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old August 16, 2006, 05:38 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Cricket in Kenya dying. An empty stadium and no incoming youngstars is the proof. When Tikolo retires, they probably will have hard time even beating Netherlands. This win may be historical for BD but does not add much value in BD cricket. Those guys still play the same reckless shots and still lack of shot selection. Only better outcome is getting the 2 new young players in action and them showing the difference.
Old August 16, 2006, 12:53 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crickwizard
When Tikolo retires, they probably will have hard time even beating Netherlands.
They got their rear whipped by Netherland soon after their BD trip and that was with Tikolo at the helm. Just before the current series they go beat by Canada!
Old August 16, 2006, 02:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

IMHO Bangladesh has progressed during the last year or so but this series win aginst against Kenya was not so much due to our progress but to Kenya's sad decline. Had this Kenyan team been the one like that of the 2003 world cup then we would have lost this series for sure. Problem with us is even after our progress we have failed to keep that momentum and from time to time display antics of the past. We are yet to become a stable batting side which is our biggest downside and the irony of this all is that when we were playing ICC trophy matches ealier batting was hailed as Bangladesh's strength. The way I see it is batting has been of the same standard but bowling has improved leaps and bound and this is why we still see the unstable batting shows even now just like in the past when Batting was supposedly our strength.
Old August 16, 2006, 02:49 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

About top order not performing right, I think it has little bit (just little bit) to do with having to chase tiny targets. they took it lightly.
Old August 16, 2006, 02:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I guess you can take it lightly once but three days in a row?? I don't buy it.
Old August 16, 2006, 05:50 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Real player,Media player

I would've said its progress....if they had beaten Zim. but...now I can say...they couldnt beat zim bcoz they are a bit stronger then keniya. Therefore...I will say only progress we have is...beating keniya. which we couldnt do few years ago. we can gurantee that we can beat keniya anytime now. But can we beat zim?? still reamains as a Question !
Old August 16, 2006, 07:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
I guess you can take it lightly once but three days in a row?? I don't buy it.
did you see the way they were chasing 119...scoring at 6 an over???

i think they did take it lightly...aftab's out was chasing a ball he never even should have thought about

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 17, 2006, 01:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Kenya's decline. Bangladesh improved otherwise, you wouldve still seen Bulbul, Akram, Nannu,,, instead you see Sakib, Farhad, Rasel like new comers and Mashrafee like dangerous bowlers.
You guys need to be realistic; with one degress with Zimbabwe, you cannot wipe out all the fantastic progress Bangladesh made,, We did beat Zimbabwe in test/ODi, beat India, Australia, Srilanka. We were close with with India twice, Pakistan once. So you cannot rule out all the progress we made over the last few years. Yes, we did not PERFORM during Zimbabwe/Kenya tour as we expected but keep in mind that this is the first tour after 4 months break and the failure was predominantly batting ( or lack of it). Even in that department, it was mostly our top order failing. For bowling,,, you saw the results, barring that Taylor bashing,, we didnt do that bad. And had Rasel got an opportunity during Zimbabwe tour and Rafique found his form, we wouldve discussed something else.

All in all, Bangladesh has proven that we are not at the same league as Kenya anymore, we are expected to win against Zimbabwe. You wont be calling Bangladesh the 'whipping boys' any more.. we have definitely progressed just that this tour wasnt a good example of it.
Old August 17, 2006, 03:51 PM
Test Cricketer

The Zimbabwe series was the last thing we required to know for the betterment of Bangladesh cricket. The Kenya series revealed that Bangladesh has somewhat learnt from their previous mistakes, if not all. At the moment, I can still confidently say that we're better than Zimbabwe, and am just waiting for the CT and the home series vs Zimbabwe. I believe evryone of our players are hungry for revenge, and this time, will rise to the ocassion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!