facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 16, 2007, 07:44 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Gibbs racial comments against Pakistan

Gibbs slur on Pakistani supporters were behaving "like bloody animals" and "f**** Pakistanis

http://www.criki.com/videos/show/364

Old January 16, 2007, 09:08 AM
Cricket Legend

This feels doctored but if it isin't there'll be hell to pay, I'm sure. Pakistanis are very good at palying this sort of things to their advantage. And in this case, they absolutely should.
Old January 16, 2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
This feels doctored but if it isin't there'll be hell to pay, I'm sure. Pakistanis are very good at palying this sort of things to their advantage. And in this case, they absolutely should.
From Cricinfo:

South Africa v Pakistan, 1st Test, Centurion
Gibbs to appeal against ban
Board postpones disciplinary hearing | Two-Test ban for racial slur
Old January 16, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cricket Legend

racism with the pakis !!!
gibbs paper-taper pore na mone hoy....
Old January 16, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Old news...but not surprised. SA aligning themselves up nicely with the Aussies looks like.
Old January 16, 2007, 10:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
From Cricinfo:

South Africa v Pakistan, 1st Test, Centurion
Gibbs to appeal against ban
Board postpones disciplinary hearing | Two-Test ban for racial slur

Right, I just read that. Two test ban is way too soft.
Old January 16, 2007, 12:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Our players get half their match fee fined coz of criticizing other team mates, without breaking any rules. And he just gets 0% fined...but banned for two tests. He should rather be made to play, play, and play...without one year's salary.
Old January 16, 2007, 02:46 PM
Test Cricketer

You never know, Gibbs might have been provacated by those Pakistanis. Remember, this was the same team which demanded an apology from Jones about his comment on Hashim Amla. But in no way at all, I am defending Gibbs. We should first try to get to the root of the source.
Old January 16, 2007, 03:09 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Nevertheless, resorting to racial slurs was very uncivil of him. Two match ban is too soft, he should have been fined also. If he was provoked, he should have informed the umpire so that the right officials could remove those people from the crowd.
Old January 16, 2007, 04:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by israr
this was the same team which demanded an apology from Jones about his comment on Hashim Amla.
I was thinking the same thing. Also, isn't Gibbs black? But whatever his skin color is, this is very serious.
Old January 16, 2007, 07:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

It's South Africa. What do you expect?
Old January 16, 2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

http://www.cricketnext.com/news/gibb.../22773-13.html

Gavaskar wants action against Richards.

But Smith says Pakistani supporters provoked Gibbs by their racial comments and instigation. Gibbs punishment is justified. But Pakistani supporters need to be punished at the same time.

http://www.ndtv.com/sports/cricket/s...y.asp?id=32066

More racism: http://www.ndtv.com/topstories/showt...egory=National
Old January 16, 2007, 09:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Here's a clip where you can hear Gibbs' voice saying whatever he said.

My question is: He seemed to be close to the stumps when this happened. How is it possible that he's saying Pakistani fans used racial comments at him? Wouldn't that be like he was fielding near the boundary? Also, Gibbs hardly fields in the boundary lines. If the racial comments by Pakistani supporters were expressed beforehand, he was really out of his mind when he did this. Just shows his lack of control over his temper.
Old January 16, 2007, 10:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Here's a clip where you can hear Gibbs' voice saying whatever he said.

My question is: He seemed to be close to the stumps when this happened. How is it possible that he's saying Pakistani fans used racial comments at him? Wouldn't that be like he was fielding near the boundary? Also, Gibbs hardly fields in the boundary lines. If the racial comments by Pakistani supporters were expressed beforehand, he was really out of his mind when he did this. Just shows his lack of control over his temper.
hmm good point Kabir bhai. I was thinking the same, how did his voice get recorded in the tvcast. I am assuming he said this to one of his team mate when they huddled up after the end of the over.

P.S: isnt this the original clip the thread started with Kabir bhai?
Old January 16, 2007, 10:37 PM
Cricket Legend

The way I see it, Gibby's position is untenable. He got caught on the mics and didn't deny it happening. The extenuating circumstances are weak at best. They crowd pay big bucks to come to the ground to be entertained. If the ground authority deems their behaviour unruly, they deserve to be ejected. Gibbs, on the other hand, is paid not just to be a Cricketer, but also an entertainer. I do not condone the abuse by the crowd at all, but how can he ever justify what he said? If it bothers him that much, he always has the luxury of using the proper channels to propagate his grief. And now by deciding to appeal ICC's ruling, he is flipflopping just like Kerry. The truth of the matter is, these things happen in professional sports all the time. You don't have to be a whiny baby about it. I'm not the over-sensitive kind, and am reluctant to flash the race-card like many do; however, I'd like to see him being made an example out of because of his sheer stupidity.

ps: Gavaskar's allegation is ridiculous. Barry's comments are open to interpretation, and I'm willing to bet it wasn't intended with racial malice. If we can compare BD's gutsy performance to Aussie professionalism, BD's batting collapse to Paki batters' unpredictable nature, why spare the Indians?
Old January 17, 2007, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

gavaskar may have been one of the best batsmen of his era, but honestly, the guy's a clown.

what's wrong with these short little indian batting geniuses? first tendulkar goes in public to say "You should always respect your elders..." (re: the aussies pushing powar off the cameras)...what the heck? brown guy giving a white guy a lesson on how to treat older people? does he know how funny that sounded? "You should always respect your elders..." - what a clown to the western ear! then there's gavaskar, sniffing racism in a harmless comment (taking advantage of the situation, perhaps?) - what a clown!
Old January 17, 2007, 01:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
gavaskar may have been one of the best batsmen of his era, but honestly, the guy's a clown.

what's wrong with these short little indian batting geniuses? first tendulkar goes in public to say "You should always respect your elders..." (re: the aussies pushing powar off the cameras)...what the heck? brown guy giving a white guy a lesson on how to treat older people? does he know how funny that sounded? "You should always respect your elders..." - what a clown to the western ear! then there's gavaskar, sniffing racism in a harmless comment (taking advantage of the situation, perhaps?) - what a clown!
What are you talking about? How do you figure respecting elders is a foreign notion to white people?

Gavaskar took offense in Richards' statement and reacted to it. What is so clownish about that? I agree with Carte Blanche that it is open to interpritation and SG interpreted it to be offensive, he has every right to do that.

BTW, I did not find it offensive but I'm not ready to call someone a clown if he does.
Old January 17, 2007, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
What are you talking about? How do you figure respecting elders is a foreign notion to white people?
i found the concept of someone from india teaching an australian how to behave stupid, because the two cultures are very different, and "respecting elders" has a totally different meaning across cultures. he needn't have mentioned the word "elders", since the fact that powar is older had nothing to do with it; rather he could've worded his statement like "they should have shown more respect and maturity in their behaviour", although anything that he'd have said would've been much ado about nothing imo, because i didn't think there was anything wrong in the powar incident.

Quote:
Gavaskar took offense in Richards' statement and reacted to it. What is so clownish about that? I agree with Carte Blanche that it is open to interpritation and SG interpreted it to be offensive, he has every right to do that.
well, richards was definitely referring to performance related issues, and i don't see how that could be tied to racism. i agree that it could be open to interpretation, but why stir the pot by choosing to interpret it the least accurate way? i thought it was more like trying to dig up traces of racism just for the heck of it, and hence the assigned adjective.

Quote:
I'm not ready to call someone a clown if he does.
sure. you go your way, and i go mine
Old January 17, 2007, 02:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
i found the concept of someone from india teaching an australian how to behave stupid, because the two cultures are very different, and "respecting elders" has a totally different meaning across cultures. he needn't have mentioned the word "elders", since the fact that powar is older had nothing to do with it; rather he could've worded his statement like "they should have shown more respect and maturity in their behaviour", although anything that he'd have said would've been much ado about nothing imo, because i didn't think there was anything wrong in the powar incident.
I think Australians would understand what he meant by "Elders". No reason to go into a sementic argument here. I don't think he was trying to "teach" anything but merely pointing out certain aspects. It's like me saying "our politicians should try to behave". As far as cultural differnces go, these people travel to each other's countries so often that it would really be moronic if one didn't know some key aspects of the other's culture. I remember a few years ago when Steve Waugh's Autralia visited India, I was in Delhi. They were just as aggresive and attacking on the field as the present bunch but off the field they showed tremendous respect to the locals. But the present lot I feel is not that adapt. I don't diagree with you that it was blown out of proportions but Tendulkar's comments weren't anything to get miffed.
Old January 17, 2007, 02:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
well, richards was definitely referring to performance related issues, and i don't see how that could be tied to racism. i agree that it could be open to interpretation, but why stir the pot by choosing to interpret it the least accurate way? i thought it was more like trying to dig up traces of racism just for the heck of it, and hence the assigned adjective.

Valid argument. But think about it, if you had 24 more hours to react, would you still call him a clown?
Old January 17, 2007, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
As far as cultural differnces go, these people travel to each other's countries so often that it would really be moronic if one didn't know some key aspects of the other's culture.
exactly my point. one would think he'd know, given that he's travelled a lot.

Quote:
Tendulkar's comments weren't anything to get miffed.
i wasn't saying anyone should get miffed. all i said was those words sounded pretty funny, because they were not very well put, and out of context.
Old January 17, 2007, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Valid argument. But think about it, if you had 24 more hours to react, would you still call him a clown?
i see you're having problems with the word clown. like i implied in the line "you go your way, and i go mine", you can replace it with whatever adjective best suits your liking.

and just for the record, yeah, i'd still have used the word clown given 24 hours to reconsider
Old January 17, 2007, 03:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
i see you're having problems with the word clown. like i implied in the line "you go your way, and i go mine", you can replace it with whatever adjective best suits your liking.
You're right, I do have a problem with the word 'clown'. In some tents it is considered a serious slander. Gavaskar's comments at most times I find repitative and not insightful but he's one of the giants of out time in cricketing terms. He would really have to run naked thru the field for me to call him that.
Old January 17, 2007, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
He would really have to run naked thru the field for me to call him that.
suit yourself
Old January 17, 2007, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

haven't really gone through all the links posted, but the report in this link says that seven spectators were removed from the ground for making racist remarks at the players.