facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 22, 2009, 06:55 AM
Test Cricketer

Default Deaths mar Pakistan celebrations

Two people were killed and several others injured by gunfire as Pakistan celebrated their ICC World Twenty20 victory.

Thousands poured onto the streets in Pakistan's towns and cities and shots were fired in celebration soon after Younus Khan's side secured an eight-wicket win over Sri Lanka in the final at Lord's.

A 10-year-old girl and a young male were accidentally killed in the shooting, the Dawn reported.

The girl was watching the celebrations from an upper floor balcony in Nazimabad when she was struck by bullets. She died immediately.

A young man was similarly injured near Safoora Chowk and was rushed to a nearby government hospital where he was declared dead.

Government hospitals in Pakistan admitted several others with gunshot wounds, the report added.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Source:

http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/..._Pakistan.html

http://www.espnstar.com/home/news/detail/item285270/

http://www.inform.com/related_content/110537418,0

http://www.teletext.co.uk/cricket/ne...ebrations.aspx

Last edited by Surfer; June 23, 2009 at 08:12 AM..

Old June 22, 2009, 07:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

some people are getting new topics on Pakistan for discussion other than cricket.
Old June 22, 2009, 07:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

people died celebrating? wonder what would have happened if Pakistan were knocked out in the group stages(which they almost were...if beaten by netharlands...)
Old June 22, 2009, 07:14 AM
Test Cricketer

What kind of fans come out on to the roads with firearms and start firing in celebration?
Old June 22, 2009, 07:18 AM
Cricket Legend

This happens in paces like Iraq also. On every good occasion, people fire, and innocents die needlessly.

Its just a cultural thing, they think shooting is a great way to celebrate; I personally consider it an ignorant backwards mentality, but thats my opinion...
Old June 22, 2009, 07:34 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
This happens in paces like Iraq also. On every good occasion, people fire, and innocents die needlessly.

Its just a cultural thing, they think shooting is a great way to celebrate; I personally consider it an ignorant backwards mentality, but thats my opinion...
yep, my thoughts are exactly on the same line: anybody familiar with the sitcom(very popular in US):the simpsons? there's this rich texan guy in there who just randomly shoots off for no apparent reason...sounds like something he would do...
Old June 22, 2009, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat
yep, my thoughts are exactly on the same line: anybody familiar with the sitcom(very popular in US):the simpsons? there's this rich texan guy in there who just randomly shoots off for no apparent reason...sounds like something he would do...
Are you comparing a cartoon satire to real life? Oh man, I must be watch out for the Canadian invasion of the US.
Old June 22, 2009, 10:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Why do normal people have firearms in the first place? Or these arms are Firearms are used by military or police?

By the way, where is the link?
Old June 22, 2009, 10:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Strange & Pathetic (Considering the news as a true one, I have doubt because there is no reference. I search on the internet; I haven’t found the news anywhere).
Old June 22, 2009, 10:53 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

This is call PAKISTAN.no surprise.
Old June 22, 2009, 11:11 AM
Cricket Legend

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=29983

now Pakistan govt. should think of their own nature rather than poking us......*cough* *cough*
Old June 22, 2009, 12:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
What kind of fans come out on to the roads with firearms and start firing in celebration?
Our kind...and you know what I mean.

Stupid people of sub-continent.
Old June 22, 2009, 02:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

In a recent army/police operation in Pak where the army successful killed the militants responsible the policemen/army men celebrated by shooting in the air.

If the govt. officials do it why wouldn't the people do it also ..
Old June 22, 2009, 05:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Is it just me or I smell a bit of jealousy in Surfer and Bharat's comment. Why did they have to dig this news out from heaven knows where! I suppose it must be a rare coincidence that they are both from India as well! lol
Old June 22, 2009, 06:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Is it just me or I smell a bit of jealousy in Surfer and Bharat's comment. Why did they have to dig this news out from heaven knows where! I suppose it must be a rare coincidence that they are both from India as well! lol
A classic example of " When u cant defend the action do a character analysis of the massenger"...
Old June 23, 2009, 08:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Why do normal people have firearms in the first place? Or these arms are Firearms are used by military or police?

By the way, where is the link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfaze
Strange & Pathetic (Considering the news as a true one, I have doubt because there is no reference. I search on the internet; I haven’t found the news anywhere).
http://www.sportinglife.com/cricket/..._Pakistan.html

http://www.espnstar.com/home/news/detail/item285270/

http://www.inform.com/related_content/110537418,0

http://www.teletext.co.uk/cricket/ne...ebrations.aspx
Old June 23, 2009, 08:20 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Now if I say no, wont impress you. Irrespective, the news is true. That's whats the topic is.
Old June 23, 2009, 08:46 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Imran Khan

Really sad if its true!
Old June 23, 2009, 08:47 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Imran Khan

Quote:
I am not sure about Surfer(haven't read enough of his posts) but Bharat is a decent poster.
Old June 23, 2009, 09:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Kashmiris in IHK celebrated Pak victory in T-20 world cup
NEW DELHI, June 22 (APP): Kashmiris in occupied Kashmir went ecstasy on victory by Pakistan cricket team in T-20 world cup in England on Sunday.
The Kashmiris including men and women remained glued to their
television sets from Sunday evening to watch the final match. The roads and
streets were presenting a deserted look as the people watched with great interest
Pak team playing its crucial final match.
After Pakistan’s win, people especially youth came out on roads in Srinagar and other parts of IHK on Sunday and Monday and chanted pro-freedom and pro-Pakistan slogans.
They also burst crackers and even raised slogans in front of the Indian military, paramilitary and police bunkers.
“It is a great win for Pakistan and an occasion for us to celebrate their win,” said Pakistani fan, Muzaffar Ahmad.
“Boom Boom Afridi is his favourite player and I watch every match of Pakistan with keen interest,” said Ahmad.
Kashmiris are great fans of Pakistani cricketers and have always displayed their love for them in full public view.
A Kashmiri died while watching the semi final match between Pakistan and South Africa on Thursday last. He suffered massive cardiac arrest when a South African batsman hit a six and four in the last over in which they needed 23 runs to win.
Pakistani cricketers have always had great fan following in occupied Kashmir.

Kashmiris in IHK celebrated Pak victory in T-20 world cup
NEW DELHI, June 22 (APP): Kashmiris in occupied Kashmir went ecstasy on victory by Pakistan cricket team in T-20 world cup in England on Sunday.
The Kashmiris including men and women remained glued to their
television sets from Sunday evening to watch the final match. The roads and
streets were presenting a deserted look as the people watched with great interest
Pak team playing its crucial final match.
After Pakistan’s win, people especially youth came out on roads in Srinagar and other parts of IHK on Sunday and Monday and chanted pro-freedom and pro-Pakistan slogans.
They also burst crackers and even raised slogans in front of the Indian military, paramilitary and police bunkers.
“It is a great win for Pakistan and an occasion for us to celebrate their win,” said Pakistani fan, Muzaffar Ahmad.
“Boom Boom Afridi is his favourite player and I watch every match of Pakistan with keen interest,” said Ahmad.
Kashmiris are great fans of Pakistani cricketers and have always displayed their love for them in full public view.
A Kashmiri died while watching the semi final match between Pakistan and South Africa on Thursday last. He suffered massive cardiac arrest when a South African batsman hit a six and four in the last over in which they needed 23 runs to win.
Pakistani cricketers have always had great fan following in occupied Kashmir.

http://www.app.com.pk/en_/index.php?...79725&Itemid=2
Old June 23, 2009, 09:03 AM
Cricket Legend

I always found it interesting how Kashmiris on the Indian side of the "line of control" passionately support Pakistan in cricket... I had 5-6 Kashmiri friends from Srinagar during my undergrad years and they all supported Pakistan and sometimes this created issues with my other Indian friends who were not too happy with that...
Old June 23, 2009, 09:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82
I always found it interesting how Kashmiris on the Indian side of the "line of control" passionately support Pakistan in cricket... I had 5-6 Kashmiri friends from Srinagar during my undergrad years and they all supported Pakistan and sometimes this created issues with my other Indian friends who were not too happy with that...
The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it? My suggestion to them is to move over to Pakistan if they like that country so much.

Not only Kashmiris, I have known many Muslims in India who support Pakistan. My friend's family does. They support Pakistan when India and Pakistan clash in a match. I find that hypocritical.
Old June 23, 2009, 09:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Given the situation in Pakistan, I'm sure if you ask honest opinion of general Kashmiris today, Pak might be their last option ATM.
Old June 23, 2009, 09:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82

I am sure Pakistanis wouldnt be happy if some Pakistanis supported Indian cricket team, would they?
For that matter, how would it feel to us if some Bangladeshis supported India or Pakistan when they played against Bangladesh?

Trust me, I am all for Kashmir self-determination, but I find it stinkingly hypocritical when the same people cursing India for killing Kashmiris mock Bengali deaths in 1971, and call us traitors to Islam and what not.......
Old June 23, 2009, 10:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
I am sure Pakistanis wouldnt be happy if some Pakistanis supported Indian cricket team, would they?
For that matter, how would it feel to us if some Bangladeshis supported India or Pakistan when they played against Bangladesh?

Trust me, I am all for Kashmir self-determination, but I find it stinkingly hypocritical when the same people cursing India for killing Kashmiris mock Bengali deaths in 1971, and call us traitors to Islam and what not.......
According to UN mandate there is supposed to be a plebiscite in Kashmir for self-determination. As long as that doesn't happen it's nothing more than an "occupied territory", they are not "Indians".. if the Kashmiris whole heartedly support to join India, I am sure that will reflect in their sports aswell..

It's like blaming the Palestanians staying in Israeli territories for not supporting Israel...

It has nothing to do with being muslims as many thinks. The clear example of that is, muslims in Mumbai, West Bengal and UP are strong supporters of India. I have relatives from my mum's side in Calcutta who would do anything for India and they would not even support Bangladesh let alone Pakistan. Their passion and patriotism comes naturally as they decided to stay in India by choice not by force.

As for Bangladesh-Pakistan history, it is a completely different topic altogether. Firstly, Bangladesh was never forcefully taken into Pakistan in 1947.Troops from Lahore, Karachi were not flown in to occupy Dhaka or Chittagong.. The east bengali muslims after being marginalized for years decided to join Pakistan on their own and infact Muslim League was formed in Dhaka to begin with.. So comparing Kashmiris to Bengalis is not correct in my opinion.

But for your second point on 1971, I am completely in agreement with you. Pakistani government should be held accountable for the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians. The crime perpetrated cannot or should not be forgiven.