facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 5, 2009, 01:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sean Williams
Default Its time to give Siddons a pat on the back

Ive thoroughly enjoyed observing the series of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe over the last two weeks but what i cant understand is why Siddons is not lavished with praise as from where i sit this guy has transformed Bangladesh from a talented bunch of dashing batsman and raw bowlers into a good hard to beat one day unit much like the Zimbabwe side of the late 90's which enjoyed so much success.

Siddons has had a big effect of the games of Tamim Iqbal, Raqibal Hasan and Ryaid and you can see the difference in there games from two years ago when Siddons took over. I believe that Dav Whatmore is over hyped in terms of the job he did with Bangladesh as there was no real improvement from start to finish only a few high profle wins.

When Siddons first took the job i remembered him saying that he was looking long term to produce of competitive side, not just win a game or to and from what i can see he is well on the way to achieving his goal. If you look at the performances against New Zealand and Sri Lanka over the last year that was what we all wanted to see from Bangladesh, pushing the top teams to the limit rather than getting thrashed in five games and winning the sixth.

So bravo Jamie Siddons you deserve a lot of praise for what you have done with this Bangladesh side and i hope you get the recognition you deserve.

Oh and well done on the series win you thoroughly outplayed us in the last four games but hopefully we can learn from our mistakes and come back hard.

Last edited by zimfan; November 5, 2009 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: content

Old November 5, 2009, 01:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

I agree. The improvements we are seeing are seeming sorta obvious to quite a lot of us. But we're failing to realise that most of the these obvious characteristics weren't visible even a year ago or two and so Jamie Siddons surely deserves parts of the applause that we're giving to the players. Well done JS and keep it up.
Old November 5, 2009, 01:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

I don't feel negative about Siddons but I don't feel he is the right fit for the BD team. In my opinion, players like Shakib, Tamim, Naeem, Mushy, Rock, Razzak, Riad are intelligent players who would do well with a coach that more friendly with the team. Watching shots of Siddons during the match he always seems seperated from the team.

He has done a decent job but the turnaround is not quick enough. I always get the sense that his approach to cricket is still stuck in the 80s/early 90s mindset, prior to the modernization of cricket by Waugh and co.
Old November 5, 2009, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I'm indifferent. He's doing an alright job and it may not be worth bringing changes to the coaching staff ahead of the world cup, seeing that our players don't adjust to change very well and are generally slow learners.

So far so good. Could be better.
Old November 5, 2009, 01:57 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

I can't complain with Siddons at the moment. We've done okay at the moment. It's only when we play against real quality opposition that we can see how far we've come. I just hope it's not one step forward, two steps back.
Old November 5, 2009, 02:00 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

i wont say anything until january(tri series).

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old November 5, 2009, 02:01 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I congratulate my coach Siddons! Love and full support! Big_hug:
Old November 5, 2009, 02:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
i wont say anything until january(tri series).

Old November 5, 2009, 02:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Besides Jamie Siddons, i would like to thank chacha (sujon) as well.
Old November 5, 2009, 02:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

So far Siddons has done a good job...
Old November 5, 2009, 02:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

I don't know who to give the credit to but the biggest difference between this team and a team 3 years ago is that, this team has the culture of winning games. When in difficult situations, this team still thinks they can win, but the previous team used to believe that even in good position, something will still go wrong and they started guarding against the unseen danger. And when in bad situation, the previous team used to think its all over way before it was actually over. We have lost countless games from good positions because of that and never won a game from bad position.

That is one reason, we need to look forward not backward. The guys with the losers mentality are still in the age group that can come back to national team, but we need to make sure, they have to go one extra step further than these guys to get a position in the team. Most of the ICLers actually fall in this category. If they did not have losers mentality they would not have left for money at the first place. BCB will be actually ruining this momentum of the team if any of them are considered for the national team in the near future. In fact, beside Aftab, there is even no need for considering any other loser mentality player for even distance future.
Old November 5, 2009, 02:25 PM
Cricket Sage

...I am kind of lost. Do we need to go to ICL and outside the team, when we have one within the team who was the mole in the real ICl episode?

The Biggest loser is still in the team "Bohal tobeeyote" getting promoted after failing in his assigned role.

The real mole needs to be reoved before the new breed in the team get spoiled.
Old November 5, 2009, 02:30 PM

Does anyone know when the Tri Series fixtures will be released?
Old November 5, 2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokai
I don't know who to give the credit to but the biggest difference between this team and a team 3 years ago is that, this team has the culture of winning games. When in difficult situations, this team still thinks they can win, but the previous team used to believe that even in good position, something will still go wrong and they started guarding against the unseen danger. And when in bad situation, the previous team used to think its all over way before it was actually over. We have lost countless games from good positions because of that and never won a game from bad position.

That is one reason, we need to look forward not backward. The guys with the losers mentality are still in the age group that can come back to national team, but we need to make sure, they have to go one extra step further than these guys to get a position in the team. Most of the ICLers actually fall in this category. If they did not have losers mentality they would not have left for money at the first place. BCB will be actually ruining this momentum of the team if any of them are considered for the national team in the near future. In fact, beside Aftab, there is even no need for considering any other loser mentality player for even distance future.
Personally the only two former ICL players I would consider are Shahriar Nafees and Aftab Ahmed
Old November 5, 2009, 02:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Personally the only two former ICL players I would consider are Shahriar Nafees and Aftab Ahmed
The only reason I mentioned aftab is that he implied in some interview that he was basically mislead about ICL. SN on the other hand(along with Dhiman and Alok) openly talked trash. It is true that we need a partner of Tamim more than anyone else, but I'll get Ataher in as opener before getting any of the trash talker in the team.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokai
The only reason I mentioned aftab is that he implied in some interview that he was basically mislead about ICL. SN on the other hand(along with Dhiman and Alok) openly talked trash. It is true that we need a partner of Tamim more than anyone else, but I'll get Ataher in as opener before getting any of the trash talker in the team.
That was the biggest trash. Some guy told him join ICL and everything will be ok and he believed him. Oh come on. Then why did he hand in his RESIGNATION? At least SN stood by his decision and did not make any lame excuses.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:13 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The journey of Siddons was not as rosy as it may seem. He got a team with players who were holding on to positions without performance. 1) Habibul Bashar, 2) Ashraful, 3) Shahriar Nafees, 4) Aftab Ahmed, 5) Mushi, 6) KM, 7) Alok. Nazimuddin was in and out. With Mgmt not having the balls to kick HB out of the team, series after series with the emotional fans backing him made Siddon's job that much harder.

Then once he sorted things out, ICLers left and created a new void. He had to go back to zero and work with new set of players. Rakib, Naeem, Mahmudullah among them. That was a huge set back. Now after sometime together the National team is starting to gel. Ash is still out there creating mini collapses almost 90% of the time. When he solves that problem we will regularly challenge the other teams. Our pace attack needs to improve. Too many swaps and injuries we had gone through under Siddons.

Wish him all the best. Great job for getting the boys ready right after the T20 format. Do recruiting and scouting now. Shujon was a great help as well.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:14 PM
Cricket Guru

I am sure glad that we have not lost more than one match against Zimbabwe this time (unlike earlier this year), but how is it improvement that we made easy games difficult?!!!!!

The Zimbabwe team was not even full strength, they missed three key players in Taibu, Utseya, and Williams. Also, Taylor was struggling with his form till last game.

It's painful to see Siddons can't teach Zunaed basic stuff like how to keep his shots along the ground (though he kept throwing his weight behind Zunaed for selection). Raqibul actually has become worse than his compact self in his early days. Riyad is another batsman whose batting seems to be going downhill. Overall, footwork of all the batsmen have gone more or less bad.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
So far Siddons has done a good job...
since chacha joined him before the WI tour.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:20 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen

It's painful to see Siddons can't teach Zunaed basic stuff like how to keep his shots along the ground (though he kept throwing his weight behind Zunaed for selection). Raqibul actually has become worse than his compact self in his early days. Riyad is another batsman whose batting seems to be going downhill. Overall, footwork of all the batsmen have gone more or less bad.
Pointing negative is easy. Trying to find positive is hard for all of us.

We are ready to make Dav Watmore's 2006-07 record as best ever, ready to make Habibul Bashar as the greatest captain we ever had, yet when it comes a time to give the credit to Jamie Siddons and Shakib we fall off some where in the middle.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:29 PM
Cricket Guru

T_E, I did point out the only positive I could find - that we lost only one ODI, not two.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Eh if Zim is not full strength the same can be said for BD. Our top pacers are out and main batsmen are out of form or barred.

Old November 5, 2009, 03:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

So we have to keep in mind that even as fans we are the transition ones. We have seen the era of Durjon/Bashar to now Ashraful/Shakib. Hence, we do get excited with wins against Zimbabwe and get elated when we manage to get one or two wins against anyone other than them.

Recall, we did lose to Ireland, India when it mattered. We lost to Pakistan, New Zealand, Australia. We won against a 2nd Tier West Indies. Albeit, I cherish those wins but we have not yet demonstrated that we are the side who can match the other top 5. Has Ashraful become a better player under his guidance? Has Zunaed improved? Shakib/Tamim/Mushfique is not in this list because they started under Watmore and demonstrated their potential then..

Bottomline: Dav Watmore era raised the bar high. We started to win one or two matches against India, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe under his coaching. But we are no longer satisfied with winning against Zimbabwe/Kenya. That's 2005. We now have to win against better sides and the players that we have has not been truely tested yet. 2010 will be the year when we know how much Siddons has really elevated the side. He has full Board support, has dedicated translator-assistant coach, a bowling coach, fielding coach and analyst... And gets 300,000 per year!!

Has he done a good job? offcourse yes, he is always trying something new from his experience book.. Has he done something extra-ordinary? No, not yet but he can and we wait for that day when we have a better win ratio against the top 5 teams. Today that ratio is not worth mentioning at all...
Old November 5, 2009, 03:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
...We have seen the era of Durjon/Bashar to now Ashraful/Shakib...
It's Durjoy.
Old November 5, 2009, 04:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

I guess Freudian slip!! Jahai Durjoy Tahai Durjon!!