facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 21, 2005, 03:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

Default Surprise: Mushfiqur Rahim

Nobody has anticipated this inclusion.

U-19 captain cum wicket keeper, Mushfiqur Rahim is going to England as a second wicket keeper.

He is in very good form these days.

Is it too early to call him for the national team? What do you think?

We need a successor for Khaled Mashud and probably Mushfiqur Rahim is the best candidate. We tried Anwar and Selim before - they didn't last very long. Wondering what happened to Dhiman Ghosh.

Old April 21, 2005, 04:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Good move......I don think hez gonna play any matches unless Pilot gets injured but it shud give him the much needed exposure and will be a good learning curve.....So by the time Pilot calls it a day.....He shud be waiting in the wings to grab onto the opportunity......I back this move of the selectors....Well done!
Old April 21, 2005, 04:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

I have seen this guy in person and have to say he looks the goods. I hope he plays in the tour matches and stays on for the NatWest Series
Old April 21, 2005, 06:00 AM
Club Cricketer

Guys, it is typical to have two wicket keepers in a series to England for any country because of the number of first class matches that get played. The 2nd wicket keeper usually plays those games to groom himself and to protech the 1st choice from injury. In that sense, it is not really a surprise.
Old April 21, 2005, 06:58 AM
Richard McInnes
Manager / Head coach, National Cricket Academy
Former BD U19 Coach

Mushfiw will be just fine on this tour. He is probably the most professional cricket in Bangladesh based on his thoroughness and attention to detail in preparation and playing. He will be fine. He has also toured England before and has been to Lords, which will help a little.
Old April 21, 2005, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

this is by far the best decision that this selection panel has made, imo. this guy's a future star in the making, and there couldn't have been a better choice for the second wicket keeper position.
Old April 21, 2005, 09:40 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

this is a good decision, but who is now going to replace him in australia? or he will finish the tour and come back and join the camp?
Old April 21, 2005, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

hehe...who cares about australia? we will win anyways...

the england tour is more important.

i'm guessing it'll be dhiman (or saghir, if he is of age).

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 2:42 PM GMT, by AsifTheManRahman.
Old April 21, 2005, 09:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
this is a good decision, but who is now going to replace him in australia? or he will finish the tour and come back and join the camp?
What Asif said

Ian Whitchurch
Old April 21, 2005, 09:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

very good decision indeed.......by keeping him in the squad.....selectors are giving him a chance to groom and gain very valuable experience in different conditions......
Old April 21, 2005, 10:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

I watched Mushfiqur last year in England and when i first met him i though he was about 14 years old. I think his real age must be about 16/17.

He is very small in stature a bit like Parthiv Patel of India i guess, but he most definetly has the talent to succeed.

Personally i think this tour is a bit too early for him as he still has a lot to learn. But he should get more exposure in some of the warm up matches. I would have went for someone like Shahin Hossain who has scored a lot of runs in domestic cricket this year including a double century.

All the best to the young man, will be keeping an eye on him to see how much his developed in a year.
Old April 21, 2005, 10:07 AM

He is in good form now, let see how he keep his form in practice match. Good luck.
Old April 21, 2005, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

see the thing here is that shahin hossain has domestic experience only, whereas mushfiq has toured england before and has done quite well. he is also a member (captain, i believe?) of the U-19 team. he has played for the U-19 (and A team too i believe) for quite a long time now. shahin on the other hand has done well on flat pitches against ordinary bowling (most of the time). much as i believe he deserves a chance in the A team, i don't think he's national team worthy.

this tour will do mushfiq a world of good. he is definitely one of the brightest among the bangladeshi kids, and i see him making it to the national team in a couple of years - with his batting, let alone his keeping skills. another england tour against supposedly stronger opponents will enable him to make a step further in that direction. i don't think it's a bit early since he will probably not be playing any of the tests or odi's. this is called proper grooming, and that's what we need to develop a competitive team that'll start giving the pommies and the aussies and the whatevers the scare in five years' time.
Old April 21, 2005, 10:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

a very good selection indeed.
Old April 21, 2005, 10:29 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Wasn't very surprised, since he has been consistently doing well recently and there was a rumor about taking 2 keepers
Old April 21, 2005, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

off topic: how come dhiman isn't already in aussie land? is he too old to be there?
Old April 21, 2005, 10:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: The Narail Express

its a good decision... but this will not bring any good.. if team not using him in England!
Old April 21, 2005, 12:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

I think it is a great move and I don't think it is too early to call him up for National team. If he works with national team and with Khaled Mashud he will learn a lot of things. Plus Bangladesh progressing very well in their bowling and batting dipertment but they haven't got any good second Wicket Keeper who can fill the place of Khaled Mashud in cases of injury. If he plays once in-a-while he will be very good in the future because he has potential.
Old April 21, 2005, 12:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Mushfiw will be just fine on this tour. He is probably the most professional cricket in Bangladesh based on his thoroughness and attention to detail in preparation and playing. He will be fine. He has also toured England before and has been to Lords, which will help a little.
Those are some lofty quotes for such a young man. He has been rewarded.
Old April 21, 2005, 12:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

great plan B strategy for wicket keeping. however kinda feel sorry for dhiman ghosh who fell out of favor recently
Old April 21, 2005, 12:55 PM
Test Cricketer

Now just watch. Before we inducted new players with no older wiser men to support them. Now Shahriar Nafees, Shahadat and Mushfiq will be surrounded by senior men, vis-a-vis, less pressure on the debutants, hopefully giving them more chance take advantage of this opportunity.
Old April 21, 2005, 01:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Just on a related note:
When the admirable aussi captain Steve Waugh retired... he was in fine form and almost on peak of his success. He still could hav played for the team atleast 2-3 more years.

But what the aussi board had in mind was the 2007 world cup... and they decided they will select a new captain and giv him atleast 2/3 years time to prepare for the WC.

Even though Pilot is in complete form.... we should start giving his successors some exposure already. So when he retires, a complete newcomer doesn't have to take his place.

For now.... even just being with the team on a series will be great experience for any youngstar.
Old April 21, 2005, 01:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Logen
I think it is a great move and I don't think it is too early to call him up for National team. If he works with national team and with Khaled Mashud he will learn a lot of things. Plus Bangladesh progressing very well in their bowling and batting dipertment but they haven't got any good second Wicket Keeper who can fill the place of Khaled Mashud in cases of injury. If he plays once in-a-while he will be very good in the future because he has potential.
Old April 21, 2005, 01:30 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Logen, what the point of quoting yourself with some signs? are u just saying look how good i'm?
Old April 21, 2005, 01:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

I don't get it, why pick another wicket keeper when we have Mashri?