facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 8, 2006, 09:26 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default Extra Innings on Set Max BD vs. SL match?

Did anyone watch the Extra Innings show before, during the middle of the innings and after the match was over in yesterday's BD vs. SL match?

I couldn't get the chance to watch the show as there was loadshedding at those times. What was the reaction of the commentators?

How did we do according to them? I would really like to know.

Old October 8, 2006, 09:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Ramiz Raja ranted us on our incompetency to compete at the highest level. Embarassed the hell out of Bashar and Bashar admitted to all that and walked away with his tail tucked away. Painfully enough, Bashar had his teeth showing the smile of ignorance and painful acceptance of defeat. No confidence. Bashar should consider giving up his captian's role if he keeps blaming the team management for every poor decision he makes.
Old October 8, 2006, 10:11 AM
First BC Member

That's it? The way everyone was saying about Zimbabwe-WI game today, that Zimbabwe can't bat, can't bat, can't bat, I thought I'd hear a bit more harsh words.
Old October 8, 2006, 10:19 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Sky Sports analysts were praising Bangladesh's effort. They were convinced that Bangladesh is in the right track and will challenge quailty oppositions regularly in near future.
Old October 8, 2006, 10:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Sky Sports analysts were praising Bangladesh's effort. They were convinced that Bangladesh is in the right track and will challenge quailty oppositions regularly in near future.
Thats good. Sky got better commentators than prsent Nimbus commentators, simply Nimbus the main production company got some ordinary commentators like Conory, I have not heard the name in my life. I doubt whether he played any international cricket. But on the other hand I am not saying that we played very good so that everyone appreciates us strongly.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old October 8, 2006, 10:41 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Michael Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
....ordinary commentators like Conory, I have not heard the name in my life. I doubt whether he played any international cricket......
Did u mean Jeremy Coney, he played 52 tests and 88 ODIs, here is about him from cricinfo:

A very tall, fit, and enthusiastic allrounder, Jeremy Coney was an organised and correct batsman, a steady medium-pacer and a fine fielder, who became an exceptionally astute captain. He had appeared in Tests against all the other countries before taking over from Geoff Howarth in Pakistan in 1984-85. Very determined, he tended to produce his best when the chips were down. A good musician and a qualified teacher, he became a regular selection after a successful home series against Pakistan in 1978-79, and was an important member of the team that reached the semi-finals of the 1979 World Cup. Consistent batting, including a record seventh-wicket stand with Geoff Howarth, helped New Zealand to a shock series victory over West Indies in 1979-80, but it was not until the first Test against England in 1983-84 that he finally registered a maiden Test century, a painstaking eight-hour match-saving marathon of 174 not out. He further enhanced his reputation by leading New Zealand to a first series win in England, in 1986, endearing himself to spectators by his sunny disposition. When Bruce French was felled by a Hadlee bouncer at Lord's, it was Coney who permitted England to play two substitute wicketkeepers. He was awarded an MBE in 1986, and became a successful TV and radio sports commentator and presenter. Shrewd and witty, he was streets ahead of most other players-turned-pundits.
Christopher Martin-Jenkins
Old October 8, 2006, 10:43 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
Ramiz Raja ranted us on our incompetency to compete at the highest level. Embarassed the hell out of Bashar and Bashar admitted to all that and walked away with his tail tucked away. Painfully enough, Bashar had his teeth showing the smile of ignorance and painful acceptance of defeat. No confidence. Bashar should consider giving up his captian's role if he keeps blaming the team management for every poor decision he makes.
That was Bashar's interview... not the 'Extra Innings' fw is talking about. I watched the discussion.. and they were more or less positive about BD's game. Mandira was actually too much outspoken praising BD... which looked bit odd to me.

Overall.. the comments indicated that BD faced SL with a positive approach.. but there are surely improvements to be made in top-order batting and bowling also.
Old October 8, 2006, 11:10 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: mortaza and saqibul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
That was Bashar's interview... not the 'Extra Innings' fw is talking about. I watched the discussion.. and they were more or less positive about BD's game. Mandira was actually too much outspoken praising BD... which looked bit odd to me.

Overall.. the comments indicated that BD faced SL with a positive approach.. but there are surely improvements to be made in top-order batting and bowling also.
and in captain decision making.

nannu
Old October 8, 2006, 11:43 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MashrafeRazzakShakib(atm)

Bangladeshi batsmen don't feel comfortable against the new ball because of too much movement and bounce. They can bat well when the ball becomes old. I still has got hope on Aftab Ahmed. I like his batting style. He is a brave man with powerful batting style. Farhad Reza is coming out with his aggressive batting style as well but he has to improve his bowling.
Old October 8, 2006, 03:31 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
Ramiz Raja ranted us on our incompetency to compete at the highest level.
As if Ramiz ever had anything good to say about us! Well, atleast not that I know of...
Old October 8, 2006, 03:59 PM

Do anyone have the video of this "Extra Innings"? Could you share it with us pls.? Much thanks.
Old October 9, 2006, 08:55 AM
First BC Member

"Mandira was actually too much outspoken praising BD... which looked bit odd to me." - she has to look after her strong fan base in Bangladesh, doesn't she? Bangladesh has a lot of supporters of hindi movies (I think most of us know it)

" still has got hope on Aftab Ahmed. I like his batting style. He is a brave man with powerful batting style. Farhad Reza is coming out with his aggressive batting style as well but he has to improve his bowling."

Aftab and Forhad Reza are yet to get teh responsibility of the whole team in their shoulders, I'm sure if the time comes, they will also feel the pressure of responsibility like Ashraful is facing now.
Old October 9, 2006, 10:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Dear fwullah,
Ashraful is crumbling under his own pressure, not the whole team. The whole team no longer depends on one Ashrafool. If he continues to deprive himself a favour he might soon hear the exit bell.
Old October 9, 2006, 10:52 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Forhad already had taken the pressure of the team multiple times in his small career. I guess it is our captan shaheb who couldn't take the pressure. The most experienced one crumbled. Leave the youngsters alone. I would take 11 forhad's in a heart beat instead of 11 Ash or Bashar.
Old October 9, 2006, 12:45 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Leave the youngsters alone. I would take 11 forhad's in a heart beat instead of 11 Ash or Bashar.
Be careful what you say Tiger Bhai.
1 Sakib plays a good innings and takes the blame,
imagine what 11 Farhad would do...

Let there be 11 Ash or Bashar till we have the glimpse of the dawn.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 9, 2006, 12:47 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
I guess it is our captan shaheb who couldn't take the pressure. The most experienced one crumbled. Leave the youngsters alone. I would take 11 forhad's in a heart beat instead of 11 Ash or Bashar.
Interesting observation... but was it a conscious one or an accidental one?

A clear character of cricketers in our team is "the more experienced you are.. the more you struggle with form". Youngstars enter the team like brave fighters spanking the best bowlers in the world... and day by day they start feeling the pressure of team's expectations. I guess they start feeling the pressure of 'celebrity status' also. And after a year of ‘great career’ when they are put into the places from 1 to 4th position in batting order or given the status of ‘vice captain’.. the former cricketers of the year start to crumble under pressure and at the same time... some more newcomers who are already in the team, start to show their ‘fresh-firepower’ just like their predecessors. This is an endless cycle for the ‘bermuda triangle’ of BD team I suppose. So in one way... your suggestion of a team of 11 Forhad’s is perfectly alright! Precondition being... that we will be able to use this team for about one year and then will have to refresh it with 11 new Forhad’s.

And in the same way fwullah is also correct saying:
Quote:
aftab and Forhad Reza are yet to get teh responsibility of the whole team in their shoulders, I'm sure if the time comes, they will also feel the pressure of responsibility like Ashraful is facing now.
Ei dushto-chokrer sesh chai!
Old October 9, 2006, 01:57 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
Aftab and Forhad Reza are yet to get teh responsibility of the whole team in their shoulders, I'm sure if the time comes, they will also feel the pressure of responsibility like Ashraful is facing now.
Exactly ... pressure of represnting BD team is killing Ash.... its too much for him..... he cannot take it any more. Let him take a well deserved break from the team to regain his confidentce back... Ash is creating a "chrere dey ma kedey Bachi" kind of situation to the BD fans. We will miss you Ash... but thanks but no thanks... don't come back before you regains your confidence back in team-a.
Old October 9, 2006, 02:07 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
Interesting observation... but was it a conscious one or an accidental one?

A clear character of cricketers in our team is "the more experienced you are.. the more you struggle with form". Youngstars enter the team like brave fighters spanking the best bowlers in the world... and day by day they start feeling the pressure of team's expectations. I guess they start feeling the pressure of 'celebrity status' also. And after a year of ‘great career’ when they are put into the places from 1 to 4th position in batting order or given the status of ‘vice captain’.. the former cricketers of the year start to crumble under pressure and at the same time... some more newcomers who are already in the team, start to show their ‘fresh-firepower’ just like their predecessors. This is an endless cycle for the ‘bermuda triangle’ of BD team I suppose. So in one way... your suggestion of a team of 11 Forhad’s is perfectly alright! Precondition being... that we will be able to use this team for about one year and then will have to refresh it with 11 new Forhad’s.
You are too good with logic. Can't argue with that.

However, there are few things that already happened that certainly can change the conception of our minds and one can see the positive trend.
Phase 1:
When Ash came in he was the phenom. At least after his debut century in test. Same was with SN, NI. Now comes FR, SHasan. However, in any part of his (ash)career, overall ODI average never passed over 25/26. That is his limitation. Even when he did not have the pressure to perform (like you have said probably the 1st year). Similar stats for Captain shaheb.
Phase 2:
The two nafees (and nafis) came, one had the average of below 25 and the other one 30+ (this includes his 118* against Zim). The low averaged one got cut.
Phase 3:
Here comes FR and SH. FR average is 43.6 in his 7 ODIs. SH's ave is 77 in 5 matches. I know you will bring the notout factors. So to save you from trouble here are their averages taking out the not factor. FR 31.77, SH 31.

Experienced or not, Bashar, Ash are better batsmen than Naimur and Co. Similarly, the next generation is better than the Bashar and Ash and that is the fact. Why, because we are developing and adopting. The young ones are getting more attention at the age groups. The partnership between the two youngsters were the highest and only 50+ partnership in the last match and murali bowled.

Ash was given "license to kill" and scored 18 of 43 balls.
Bashar lacks cricketing knowledge we all know that. I still can't forgive him for the lazy runout. He doesnot learn from other captains on how to press the issue. As if he has no confidence on his bowlers. 3 fours Attapatu scored through the first slip. If there is any video clips for Attapatu from any previous games there must a similar shot. He loves that shot and that is his bread and butter. knowing all this no slip? no 3rd man at least? what type of game plan does he devise before the match? Captain can take some proactive moves if he wants to. But bashar depends on what the coach feeds him that's it. Even SL captain was happy to bat first and that's what he was going to do if he had won the toss.

Long story short, I would love to have 11 forhad or 11 sakib to represent BD in ODIs than 11 Ash or 11 Bashar.
Old October 9, 2006, 02:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Bulls EYE, very well written tigers_eye...

I couldn't agree more.
Old October 9, 2006, 03:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Astonished how quickly Saqib and Farhad have already occupied the pedestal seat. I sincerely hope that they do represent a new phenomenon , i.e superior class of players than the likes of Naimur, Bashar and Ash. That is, that BD cricket has evolved.

But taking a more pessimistic view - i still see the leap from teenage cricket to test class cricket a very difficult job for BD. We still have a long way to go.
Old October 9, 2006, 03:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Absolutely correct Oracle.
Test cricket is so different than ODIs. These boys are only trained into limited over matches. Whereas, Ash-bashar by this time should know how to play test cricket. I think we need to have almost two seperate teams for two seperate formats. And a mixture for the twenty-20.
Old October 10, 2006, 05:44 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
However, there are few things that already happened that certainly can change the conception of our minds and one can see the positive trend.
Bhai Tigers_eye..
Won't disagree with you. It's true that whenever there is more competetion and more inputs of quality players.. the standard in general is supposed to improve bit by bit. And that's what I also wish for.. like I said "ei dushto-chokrer sesh chai"

But so far... those regular inputs of fresh bloods have remained to be our 'hopes for a better team' and overall standard has improved only a little bit.. but not at the rate we would like it to. IMO.. the reason behind the scene is our lack of quality domestic cricket structure. As I said before... this is the reason for which our younger talents are not maturing at an expected pace and so our National team is improving quite slow too.

Finally.. lets hope the team gets stronger as we really want it to. Whether that is done by the 'buiras' or the 'teen-agers'... I dont bother. Waiting for that day egerly.