facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 21, 2005, 12:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Dav will be a \"Test Match Summariser\"

Source : Telegraph-UK
Extract of report, "Whatmore a wanted man as BBC come calling"-friday 21/04

Bangladesh's tour of England should do wonders for the fitness of their coach, Dav Whatmore. In an unusual move, Whatmore has agreed to be a Test Match Special summariser for the Tests at Lord's and Chester-le-Street. And at both venues, the dressing room and the broadcasting centre are at opposite ends of the ground.

"We'll have to be flexible because of his other duties, but it will be splendid to have someone in the camp," said TMS producer Peter Baxter. "I'm hoping he'll tell his players to listen in so he can change the batting order while on air."

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 5:59 PM GMT, by oracle.

Old April 21, 2005, 01:06 PM
Cricket Legend

This could be an audio option-then we will get to hear our coach!
Old April 21, 2005, 02:08 PM
Club Cricketer

Chester-le-Street , Steve Harmison just got a hat-trick for Durham there . Watch out guys .

Edited on, April 21, 2005, 7:42 PM GMT, by Desh Bangla.
Old April 21, 2005, 02:18 PM
Cricket Legend

I'm sorry, but isn't this highly unusual? I have never heard of a coach taking up a commentary job while his team is out on the field. Sure, he can go in and give an interview as other coaches do while a match is on, but this seems like he has committed himself to more than that. Strange.

Perhaps we are still not paying him enough!
Old April 21, 2005, 02:21 PM
Cricket Sage

People do moonlighting in off days not while at work.
Dav Dadar Atoee Takar Dorker
Old April 21, 2005, 02:45 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
People do moonlighting in off days not while at work.
Dav Dadar Atoee Takar Dorker:-
haha it's funny again . It doesn't mean Dav will be a commentator in England as he said he gotta monitor in the tour to improve our teams achevements . If he does monitor around then he will be known about the conditions and also about the plans what our players have to know to give a fight in England .

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 12:34 AM GMT, by radicalsami.
Reason: quote fixed
Old April 21, 2005, 02:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I don't like this one bit. How is he supposed to help/guide us when he will be sitting comfortably across the stand doing commentary for BBC? What kind of leverage does he have over the BCB- one might ask that question. Escape clause, signing deals for a media company while on job are examples of BCB bending over backwards to accomodate him. He is doing this purely for self-advertisement. Do not like this.
Old April 21, 2005, 03:52 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Dav mamur beton mone hoi asolei kom
Old April 21, 2005, 05:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Exactly what is a "Test Match Summeriser"? Is that just another term for commentator? Surely he won't be at the broadcast centre for the entire duration of the games!
Old April 21, 2005, 07:38 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

by Test Match Summariser I am guessing it means he will provide match analysis at the end of the match or maybe at the day's play... u cant SUMMARISE a match as it goes on and I am sure BBC has enough sense in them to realise that a playing team's coach cannot be a commentator while the match is in progress. Eitherways a playing team member should not be invloved with media as there is always a possibility of strategies being given out although unintentionally.

lets wait and see what its all abt anyways. If its analysis of the match at the end of the match its ok, but could surely be done without.
Old April 21, 2005, 08:18 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

I feel Dav is losing it, he is not concentrating much on his job now but rather on $$$.
Old April 21, 2005, 08:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Im not saying if this is a good thing or a bad thing... lets wait for the tour to start 1st. plus... there is always a 1st to everything...
Old April 21, 2005, 09:03 PM

The word "Summarize" may suggest post match or post stump analysis. It could be every post session too. But the comment ( "I'm hoping he'll tell his players to listen in so he can change the batting order while on air." ) suggests that he will be in the box couple of time while the match is going on.

Last time as far I can remember ( champions trophy ), he left there for a commentator job while players headed back to home. This time he has gone too far from then. Cant help but think something wrong with his thought, something very unusual in our professional life. I wonder whether he discussed this BBC's matter with BCB in advance.
Old April 21, 2005, 09:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Oh crap.

I dont know about you guys, but every televised Australian rules match has short snatches of commentary by the coaching staff at quarter, half and three-quarter time.

It's about turning viewers into insiders.

He'll be able to do more to bring Bangladesh's cricket into the viewing public's eyes with a microphone than hiding away in the dressing room.

Ian Whitchurch
Old April 21, 2005, 10:01 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

good point IanW. I don't see much into this recent move by Dav, and will only become concerned if he spends extended preiods of time in the commentary box. I would definitely be worried if he was commentatin during the match...
Old April 21, 2005, 10:16 PM
Test Cricketer

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT "SUMMARISER" MEANS!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old April 21, 2005, 10:44 PM
Club Cricketer

Dav can be a commentator which is better for us too in England caz he knows the ability of each player . Who else could be a better commentator in England to represent Bangladesh . It's not all about money as he said in the interview "The team is going Northen Hamisphere and that's not fair to leave the team at this satge" Don't see the other way of it ........ Think positive if he monitors then he can improve our team better to get more suggestions . Don't forget he is doing all these to make our team competitive as he said it's good if we can take 1 or 2 games in England . Everyone knows it won't be easy but not impossible .
Old April 21, 2005, 11:13 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
He'll be able to do more to bring Bangladesh's cricket into the viewing public's eyes with a microphone than hiding away in the dressing room.
Ian, you have just put my thoughts in your writing. This is exactly what I wanted to see after reading the first few replies.

Who is the best spokesman for Bangladesh in the commentary team? So far, we have got only two commentators, one of them is Shameem, who is not an International cricketer and another one is Atahar Ali Khan. They're OK in their commentary jobs, but if you have been listening to Atahar for quite some time, then you 'd notice that Atahar has his problems being a commentator and a national selector. Dav is a coach and a selector, too; but he's an outsider, a more 'grohonjogyo' person than Atahar to the general people of England.

And if this 'summariser' means not commentary, then its good, too. Have you seen Alistair Campbell, Andy Flower and some others' 'summarizing' for Cricinfo a few years' back? Those were great 'insights' into the national cricket team.

Only in our case, there is nobody in the national team equipped enough to do such 'summarizing', so let it be the coach, himself. So, why worry?

Besides, the thing that we're all fearing is that Dav will not concentrate on our team as much as we would like him to be - just think if we perform really really really poorly, the responsibility will be upto Whatmore to explain our poor performance - TO THE MEDIA., because he will still be our coach, and responsible for our performance, whether we perform well or not.

So it is in his best interest that he sees to it that our players play well.
Old April 22, 2005, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Oh crap.... every televised Australian rules match has short snatches of commentary by the coaching staff at quarter, half and three-quarter time.

It's about turning viewers into insiders.

I rather want him to concentrate on his "coach job" and "with boys" in that crucial away match! He has been paid enough to coach the team, not to promote BD's cricket image on television as a commentator, let alone in a ongoing match on the field. Simply doesn't make sense to me, except some of his personal benefit perhaps. Besides we are talking about a minnow team like Bangladesh (not Australia), who need their coach at dressing room and talking to the players, not to a TV camera in a session break.

Quote:
Besides, the thing that we're all fearing is that Dav will not concentrate on our team as much as we would like him to be - just think if we perform really really really poorly, the responsibility will be upto Whatmore to explain our poor performance - TO THE MEDIA., because he will still be our coach, and responsible for our performance, whether we perform well or not.
Responsibility remains with his coaching job, not with explaining to media for a poor result. He can explain to media after stumps or match as usual, what's wrong with that?
Old April 22, 2005, 01:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I don't like it ! What the HeLL is BCB doing...& what kind of rubbish crappy contract have they signed where he can talk about coaching India in 'NEAR FUTURE' and take up some other job like summarizing or woteva......I'd like to see the contract...must be full of flaws...!!!....

Edited on, April 22, 2005, 6:35 AM GMT, by Shehwar.
Old April 22, 2005, 04:05 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

I support IanW and fwullah's comments.

We probably got nothing to lose and maybe something to gain from this role of Dav. His presence will not only create scopes for the better exposure of BD team... but it may also neutralize the English Media's big mouth to a great extent !!
Old April 22, 2005, 11:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Good post by fwullah and IanW.

I will wait to see Dav in action as "Summeriser" before making any judgement. Let's not worry too much!
Old April 22, 2005, 12:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Quote:
may also neutralize the English Media's big mouth to a great extent !!
how about silently with the bat and I don't mean hittting the crap out of english journalist but that would be fun to watch.....
Old April 26, 2005, 04:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default What More ??

What More to see??

Now he signed the contract with BBC for the commentator's job in ENG-BAN series!!!!!!!

He seems not happy at all as BD coach.

Prothom Alo Link

Look at the 4th news from the top in that link.
Old April 26, 2005, 04:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Sorry - thread created in wrong board. Can any moderator move this to Bangladesh cricket section?
Thanks