facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 2, 2012, 03:01 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Rohan Kanhai
Default Please Help Sean Devers

Sean Devers, a former Guyana youth player, and reporter has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. I respectfully request that those who can, make an effort to donate a small sum of money to the cause. Read more in the link below, and go to the link to make a donation, cheers all, and thank you. To the Administration, a sticky of this thread would be appreciated.

http://www.guyana-cricket.com/

Old February 22, 2012, 12:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Wishing him a fast recovery. Our thoughts as well as prayers would be with him.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old March 15, 2012, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Some good news:

Quote:
“The great news was that Dr Ramcharan explained that immediate Surgery was not recommended since the tumor was a level one and was not expected to grow and cause worry for the next 15 to 20 years. He also said that if the Surgery was done to remove the tumor it would affect my speech because of the position it was in my brain,” Devers disclosed.
Devers to return to T&T Brain Surgeon in six months

FEBRUARY 22, 2012 | BY KNEWS | FILED UNDER SPORTS
Immediate Surgery would affect his speech
“I know God saved my life for me to testify to his greatness,” said International Radio Cricket Broadcaster
Sean Devers
Sean Devers on his return from Trinidad last week where he visited Radiologist Dr. Omar Khan and Brain Surgeon Dr. Robert Ramcharan.
The former Guyana cricketer was diagnosed by Jamaica based Brain Surgeon Professor Crandon last month with Glioma. A Glioma is a type of tumor that starts in the brain or spine. It is called a Glioma because it arises from glial cells. The most common site of Glioma is the brain.
Devers suffered two seizures in late December and another in early January this year and a CT scan and MRIs indicated the tumor in his left brain. Overseas treatment was recommend by Professor Crandon
“Trinidad, Jamaica and the USA were recommended for possible Surgery by the Doctors but while Trinidad was the least costly (approximately US$6,000) doctors on that Island were fully booked until late in the year resulting in me looking at the USA or Jamaica,” Devers informed.
Devers said that President of the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) Dinanath Ramnarine made a few telephone calls and along with the help of Dr Khan, Dr Ramcharan agreed to see him as soon as he was able to travel to Trinidad.
The former Guyana off-spinner said that donations from kind hearted persons and entities helped to raise most of the cost for the preliminary phase of the treatment in Trinidad while the rest was taken from his bank account.
“The great news was that Dr Ramcharan explained that immediate Surgery was not recommended since the tumor was a level one and was not expected to grow and cause worry for the next 15 to 20 years. He also said that if the Surgery was done to remove the tumor it would affect my speech because of the position it was in my brain,” Devers disclosed.
Devers said that after being treated at the Medical Associates Hospital in St Joseph Trinidad medication was recommended and he was told to return for future evaluation including an MRI reading in six months. After that he has to have MRI images done once a year to monitor the tumor and continue his present medication.
The father of three who celebrated his 42nd birthday on February 8 missed the recent Caribbean t20 cricket tournament in Antigua and Barbados and Guyana’s first two matches in the 2012 Regional First Class season due to his illness.
The Guyana Floodlights Softball Cricket Association in collaboration with the Caribbeancricket.com and Guyana-cricket websites and the Guyana Cricket Board made the highest donation with just over a half of a million dollars each.
The Reds Perrier Foundation, Malteenoes Sports Club, Gandhi Youth Organization club, Regal Stationary, the Georgetown Cricket Association, the Essequibo Cricket Board, the Kashif and Shanghai group, former GCB President Chetram Singh and Devers’ family chipped in with smaller amounts.
“My eldest son Ricardo traveled with me to Trinidad and I was taken from the airport directly to the hospital. Not knowing what was in store for me was the scariest period of my life. I did not mind all the injections, tests or tablets…I just prayed for my life and I praise God for bringing me back home safely”, Devers added.
“Mike’s Pharmacy supplied me with anti-seizure medication and some other drugs and Clive Lloyd and Roger Harper organized a TV show for me on NCN. The support and prayers I received from those in and outside of Guyana was overwhelming.
“While I have to deal with some side effects from the medication I now appreciate the value of life and the importance of people’s assistance,” the Kaieteur News sports Journalist revealed.
Devers, who covered West Indian Cricket for the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC) and the BBC World Service, commended the Minister of Health and the CEO of the Georgetown Public Hospital for their personal intervention in his initial health care.
He was also was high in praise for Doctors Rambarran and Legall of the Georgetown Hospital, Bibi Seeraj from the Ministry of Health and Director of Sports Neil Kumar for their assistance.
Devers said the support of his mother, USA based father, brother, sisters, eldest son and especially Cricket officials Ramsay Ali and Bissoon Singh helped to keep him positive during this testing period.
Devers said Pastor Michael Sammy from the Elim Church in Timehri and Father John Persaud from the Brickdam Cathedral provided inspirational words and commended the Kaieteur News staff, especially owner Glen Lall, for their support.
“Once you have faith in the almighty God any miracle is possible and it’s not impossible that when I return to the Brain Surgeon in Trinidad in July the tumor could get smaller,” Devers said.
“I am confident that with God’s grace I will become emotionally stronger and return to the old me,” Devers concluded.
Old March 24, 2012, 05:47 AM

Nice to hear some good news. All the best for Sean