facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 6, 2006, 03:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Default S.Nafees - A consistency in BD Batting

Shahriar Nafees: 5 matches, 248 runs @ 62.00
ODI Average: 35.43
I know many of us were a bit harsh on him during the whole series against ZIM. But truly believe that he has shown his class once again through his last innings. He definitely deserves a BIG THANKS from we fans for his good consistent show up so far. The way he bats, I am sure many of us would love his determination. He is the only consistency (probably after Bashar) who was able to demonstrate a true talent so far. As far as I see his technique, he well might look little ordinary with the shots when he tries to cut/slash outside the off stamp without moving his feet. However, his judgment and determination to stay in the wicket is definitely a point to praise. So far he looks like one big light in a bit darkness of BD batting line-up. Let’s hope and pray that he continues with good form and good health so that we BD fans can get rid of deadly nightmare of losing ¾ wickets within 10 overs.

Finally, you will definitely love to read what Cricinfo thinks about him (if not read already) –
As a left-hand opening batsman, Shahriar Nafees is a rarity among Bangladesh cricketers, and at the age of 19 he was thrust into the Test squad for their maiden tour of England with just five first-class matches behind him. He hadn't fared too badly in those, however, with 350 runs at 35, and his Under-19 coach Richard McInness reckoned he had the talent and temperament to become a future Test captain. With Nafees Iqbal and Javed Omar established as Bangladesh's opening pair, the England trip was a case of watching and learning for Shahriar. He did get an opportunity in the NatWest Series, and cashed in with 75 in the final one-dayer against Australia. He made his Test debut in Sri Lanka in September 2005, and made 51 in his second match. He also got starts in all the one-day games, but converted only one into a fifty. Then in April 2006 he exploded in sensational fashion against the might of Australia, stroking his way to a brilliant hundred, his maiden first-class ton as well as his first in Tests, at Fatullah. His stunning 138, with 19 fours, set up a scarcely believable first-day total of 355 for 5 as the Aussies reeled. He added 33 in the second innings, and a brisk 79 in the second Test to show that this was no flash in the pan.- Andrew Miller (June 2006)

P.S: I’m not a relative or friend of S. Nafees

Old August 6, 2006, 03:51 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i agree...even if he scores 6 in one match...a 60 brings his average to a very respectable 30+...unlike ash or aftab who will score a 50 every 5th innings and the rest of the scores will be low

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 6, 2006, 04:22 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

His average is now respectable 35.42 after playing 22 ODIS (22 innings, 1 not out)
Old August 6, 2006, 04:52 PM
First Class Cricketer

If Nafees keeps it like this, he will be the captain of Bangladesh team when Bashar retires/resigns. Our beloved moron coach Richard McInnes did not select this guy for his team, remember? I see future captain in him..................
Old August 6, 2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Nafees and Aftab, the next generation, is a completely different breed of cricketers than our senior cricketers. These kids has been in cricket and coaching since they were a child, they played worty opponents, blew away teams like Australia, Pakistan. As more of these youngsters takes over the national team, we will see the rise of Bangladesh Cricket, and years of dominating world cricket.
Old August 6, 2006, 06:12 PM
Cricket Sage

Ya he did a pretty good job
Old August 6, 2006, 07:02 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood
Nafees and Aftab, the next generation, is a completely different breed of cricketers than our senior cricketers. These kids has been in cricket and coaching since they were a child, they played worty opponents, blew away teams like Australia, Pakistan. As more of these youngsters takes over the national team, we will see the rise of Bangladesh Cricket, and years of dominating world cricket.
I truly agree with you on that. Our current team is very balance however inconsistent they are. We have potentially two very good allrounders in Saqibul and Farhad. Rafique would be there at least for couple more years to hit the ball around and knock the stumps off. Abdur Razzak is very good in the onedayers while Enamul is very good at the tests. Rajin is pretty good backup bowler sometimes. Mushfiq Rahim could be a good replacement for Pilot. We have some good fast bowlers too. Mashrafi and Sahadat are pretty good in their days. Rasel is always very consistent. And all the batsmen in the team are very talented (only if they were a bit more consistent with their batting). I really think if the batsmen become more consistent and the bowlers become a bit more consistent with their line, we will have a team that can anybody at anyday.
Old August 6, 2006, 07:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

i am happy for him and hoping he will do the same against kenya
Old August 6, 2006, 07:49 PM
First Class Cricketer

In my opinion he is the best opener Bangladesh has ever had, only problem is that he needs a consistant partner, and thats not JO, i think Rajin needs to be given more chance to open with him so that their partnership can develop. Or maybe Reza can start thinking about the number 2 position now that he has started his senior journey.
Old August 6, 2006, 08:00 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

S. Nafees is done very well to score a hunderd and staying Not Out. I am impressed by his determination and focus. He is an example for many upcoming youngersters.

It is way too early to call him "Mr. Consistent" or "Best Openning Batsman of BD" or anything else of that sort. I wish him all the best and I hope that he will become an outstanding batsman in this era of BD Cricket..... we need him to be.
Old August 6, 2006, 08:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Congrates to Nafees. Was at work so could not follow the last bit but well done. Now the afsos is we could have played like this in all the matches!

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old August 6, 2006, 08:52 PM
Cricket Legend

yea S.Nafees might be the BD captain in future. Cant picture aftab or ash being the one......
________
LINCOLN V12 ENGINE PICTURE

Last edited by ialbd; February 20, 2011 at 12:08 AM..
Old August 6, 2006, 08:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Great job by Nafees. He is a different class and I feel bad when i see people calling for his head to after failing in couple of games.

Same goes for Rajin. This guy proves everybody wrong everytime after getting a chance, but we fan always goes basark when he doesnt score quickly or something. Some of us need to grow up.
Old August 6, 2006, 09:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialbd
yea S.Nafees might be the BD captain in future. Cant picture aftab or ash being the one......
ash as a captain! god save us all.
Old August 6, 2006, 10:57 PM
First Class Cricketer

Clearly the future captain ... hope he continues the accent.

He needs a reliable partner as many said here ... Rajin should PERMANENTLY replace JO !!!
Old August 6, 2006, 11:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Bucket full of congrats for Nafees for his tons..........and done the pride salvage mission for al the BD suckers............truly a portray of self-belief and mere application of that.....he is improving correcting his weakness.........that Aftab himself has not shown yet (getting big runs...that is cricket all about )....
Old August 6, 2006, 11:46 PM
Banned

Hats off to Naffes! Cheers guyes!

HoPe he Keeps it up.
Old August 7, 2006, 12:59 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

congrats to Nafees.. he has on more occassions, lived up to our expectation than not... and yes, he has that consistency..as of yet...
great going man... plz keep up your good form in the future as well
all the best wishes to you.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 7, 2006, 04:26 AM

I am not yet ready to call him consistent, though he is the best so far we got.
Old August 7, 2006, 04:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorFan
I am not yet ready to call him consistent, though he is the best so far we got.
I agree. One single ton, does not change the scenario. I would like to see a scatter graph of his score. I want to know also the standard deviation. He is as inconsistent as his team mate. In this series it is 70+,1,0, 45 and 100+. Average shooted due to the not out.Too much fluctuation.

Last edited by thebest; August 7, 2006 at 04:49 AM..
Old August 7, 2006, 08:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
I agree. One single ton, does not change the scenario. I would like to see a scatter graph of his score. I want to know also the standard deviation. He is as inconsistent as his team mate. In this series it is 70+,1,0, 45 and 100+. Average shooted due to the not out.Too much fluctuation.
At least lot more consistent then Ash-Fool...At least there are 3 very good innings within 5. From so called world-class (non-performing) all-rounders like Ash-Fool, we are getting one good innings in every 20 or so innings.
Old August 7, 2006, 08:38 AM
Cricket Sage

I think both are true:

1. Few good scores should not be viewed as Nafees is already the best ever opener of Bangladesh. He showed some mental lapses here and there.

2. But we cannont ignore what he have achived so far, we need to acknowledge that. Further, there is no denying that he is showing a huge potential and alteast learning better than some of the seniors players.

So yes he is not there yet.... but he is going in the right direction. And thats a huge positive for us.
Old August 7, 2006, 08:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Yes, Nafees deserves kudo-for this series atleast. He's only the second Bangladesh batsman to score centuries in both forms of the game, Asraful being the other one.

But lets not get carried away. We've seen this before in our players. A year or two of good performance and all sort of adolation by the media and the fans then they fall apart. I am not yet ready to brand him as our "Mr. Consistant".If he performes at this level AND improves for the next two years or so then yes he's our guy. Until then lets hope he delivers, the kid certainly has the goods.

It is also too early to even think about his captaincy.
Old August 7, 2006, 08:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotBall
S. Nafees is done very well to score a hunderd and staying Not Out. I am impressed by his determination and focus. He is an example for many upcoming youngersters.

It is way too early to call him "Mr. Consistent" or "Best Openning Batsman of BD" or anything else of that sort. I wish him all the best and I hope that he will become an outstanding batsman in this era of BD Cricket..... we need him to be.
I totally agree with you. The first ball duck stings a little. Hooking down the fine leg side in every opportunity, that's what he needs to work on. Good kid just needs to mature a little.
Old August 7, 2006, 08:51 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I think both are true:

1. Few good scores should not be viewed as Nafees is already the best ever opener of Bangladesh. He showed some mental lapses here and there.

2. But we cannont ignore what he have achived so far, we need to acknowledge that. Further, there is no denying that he is showing a huge potential and alteast learning better than some of the seniors players.

So yes he is not there yet.... but he is going in the right direction. And thats a huge positive for us.
Exactly!Nafees is putting on good show from the beginning of his career and until now his consistency as an opener is pretty good comparing to the other players of our team.Of course, he has long way to go and its very early to predict that he will keep scooring runs like this and/or will become captain...but we certainly hope he does...Will be a great thing for our cricket...Until now he is showing every element, at least to become hopeful!