facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 25, 2010, 01:12 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird
Default Daily Star Special: NCL 2010 previews - Dhaka

Dhaka: Onus on big names

Quote:
In the brief history of first-class cricket in the country, Dhaka is the most successful divisional side through their four trophies. In the early days, they were the only team that could stride out in the middle and dominate proceedings simply by the strength of their big-name players.

It is still the case, says Mehrab Hossain. The left-handed batsman affirmed that Dhaka's biggest strength was its stars, eleven of whom (in the current preliminary squad) have played at the international level.

"Our strength is the team itself. We have a very strong side with really good players and importantly, most of them and someone like Shamsur Rahman are available," said Mehrab, who has played seven Tests and 18 one-dayers.

Out of the eleven players who were called up by the divisional sports association for this year's National Cricket League (NCL), nine of them are automatic choice in the starting line-up.

Mohammad Ashraful, the biggest of the Dhaka stars, is set to play from the opening game and barring an SOS during the New Zealand series, the diminutive right-hander will play all five first round matches.

The four-dayers would be handy for him after being dropped for the first international home series of the winter. Spending some time in the middle could see him rushed back for the series against Zimbabwe. For that matter, a big innings early on could force the hands of the selectors for the New Zealand series. He has been known to do this through this competition.

Ashraful would be grateful to the NCL for it was in this tournament that he struck a robust 263 in Chittagong to return to the national team in 2006-07 when he was dropped ahead of a series against Zimbabwe at home.

But given his current form and state of mind, it would be wise not to expect too many too early and it would be wise to let him play all five games and then bring him back for the Tigers, if needed.

But Dhaka is not only about Ashraful, as last season's top-performers of the team showed. Shuvogoto Hom, the Kishoreganj-born batsman, topped the average with 60.10 in his seven innings with a top-score of 166 not out. Marshall Ayub, while averaging low, struck 427 runs with four fifties while Shamsur Rahman, Uttam Sarkar and Nadimuddin Mintu all made runs when needed.

Mehrab though, made just one big score in the 2009-10 tournament and was obviously, not at his best. "I hope to do well this year because from a personal point of view, I would like to get back into reckoning through some runs," he said, adding that he would be batting in the middle-order.

Mohammad Sharif, likely to be captain this time too, will also be relied upon heavily. He took 41 wickets at 19.82 while his new-ball partner Talha Jubair captured 30. Apart from these two, Dhaka probably has a world-record number of left-arm spinners at its disposal, with the evergreen Mohammad Rafique among the 30 named in the squad earlier this month. Arafat Sunny, Ilyas Sunny and Mosharraf Hossain are the better options with Rokibul Hasan Rocky and Nazmul Hossain Apu as back-ups. Mehrab too can provide the left-arm variety.

Despite the riches, Dhaka finished third last season and has not been champions since their double delight in 2006-07, and Mehrab knows what happens out in the centre counts more than being merely paper tigers.

"It would be important for us to do well out in the middle. We did not do well last year by our standards.

"We probably have the best team in the tournament and when we announce the team tomorrow, it would be difficult for us to cut it down, but we have to make it happen in the pitch and start well," he said.

Among the younger lot, much is expected from Anamul Haque Bijoy, Rony Talukdar and the promising leg-spinner Nur Hossain Munna. Bijoy, the wicketkeeper-batsman, is touted as an exciting talent by coaches while Munna was picked for the Bangladesh A team at the end of last season.

Dhaka have been training for the last four days but rain has hurt their preparations and the team is likely to continue to train into the first week of October as the tournament now starts on the fourth.

Last year's position: Third.

Strength: Big name players.

Player to watch out for: Anamul Haque Bijoy.
Thanks to Mr. Isam for the article

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=155940

Last edited by Nadim; September 25, 2010 at 01:19 PM..

Old September 25, 2010, 01:13 PM

SQUAD
Mohammad Ashraful , Shuvogoto Hom , Mehrab Hossain, Arafat Sunny, Nadif Chowdhury, Marshall Ayub, Shamsur Rahman, Mohammad Sharif, Talha Jubair, Tareq Aziz, Nazmul Hossain Milon, Mohammad Sharifullah, Ilyas Sunny, Uttam Kumar, Rony Talukdar, Mohammad Rafique, Imon Ahmed, Anamul Haque,
Mosharraf Hossain, Rokibul Hasan Rocky, Nadimuddin Mintu, Nur Hossain, Nazmul Hossain, Mohammad Parvez, Mohammad Azim, Mahmudullah Riyad, Mahbub Alam, Rokibul Hasan, Shahadat Hossain, Saikat Ali

Maybe the best squad but i actually hate this...

I'm afraid some of the promising upcoming player from this squad wil miss out to get a chance to play. i.e. Nur (coz of having too many spinners)/Nadimuddin(coz of Anamul..both are wk)/Saikat Ali/Nazmul Hossain Apu/Imon Ahmed

Edit: How could they make Sharif Dhaka's captain?? He is bowling version of Tushar Imran in our domestic cricket.

Good for nothing!

Last edited by Nadim; September 25, 2010 at 01:21 PM..
Old September 25, 2010, 01:14 PM
BD Correspondent, ESPNCricinfo

Post Daily Star Special: NCL 2010 previews - Dhaka

Dhaka: Onus on big names

Mohammad Isam

In the brief history of first-class cricket in the country, Dhaka is the most successful divisional side through their four trophies. In the early days, they were the only team that could stride out in the middle and dominate proceedings simply by the strength of their big-name players.

It is still the case, says Mehrab Hossain. The left-handed batsman affirmed that Dhaka's biggest strength was its stars, eleven of whom (in the current preliminary squad) have played at the international level.

"Our strength is the team itself. We have a very strong side with really good players and importantly, most of them and someone like Shamsur Rahman are available," said Mehrab, who has played seven Tests and 18 one-dayers.

Out of the eleven players who were called up by the divisional sports association for this year's National Cricket League (NCL), nine of them are automatic choice in the starting line-up.

Mohammad Ashraful, the biggest of the Dhaka stars, is set to play from the opening game and barring an SOS during the New Zealand series, the diminutive right-hander will play all five first round matches.

The four-dayers would be handy for him after being dropped for the first international home series of the winter. Spending some time in the middle could see him rushed back for the series against Zimbabwe. For that matter, a big innings early on could force the hands of the selectors for the New Zealand series. He has been known to do this through this competition.

Ashraful would be grateful to the NCL for it was in this tournament that he struck a robust 263 in Chittagong to return to the national team in 2006-07 when he was dropped ahead of a series against Zimbabwe at home.

But given his current form and state of mind, it would be wise not to expect too many too early and it would be wise to let him play all five games and then bring him back for the Tigers, if needed.

But Dhaka is not only about Ashraful, as last season's top-performers of the team showed. Shuvogoto Hom, the Kishoreganj-born batsman, topped the average with 60.10 in his seven innings with a top-score of 166 not out. Marshall Ayub, while averaging low, struck 427 runs with four fifties while Shamsur Rahman, Uttam Sarkar and Nadimuddin Mintu all made runs when needed.

Mehrab though, made just one big score in the 2009-10 tournament and was obviously, not at his best. "I hope to do well this year because from a personal point of view, I would like to get back into reckoning through some runs," he said, adding that he would be batting in the middle-order.

Mohammad Sharif, likely to be captain this time too, will also be relied upon heavily. He took 41 wickets at 19.82 while his new-ball partner Talha Jubair captured 30. Apart from these two, Dhaka probably has a world-record number of left-arm spinners at its disposal, with the evergreen Mohammad Rafique among the 30 named in the squad earlier this month. Arafat Sunny, Ilyas Sunny and Mosharraf Hossain are the better options with Rokibul Hasan Rocky and Nazmul Hossain Apu as back-ups. Mehrab too can provide the left-arm variety.

Despite the riches, Dhaka finished third last season and has not been champions since their double delight in 2006-07, and Mehrab knows what happens out in the centre counts more than being merely paper tigers.

"It would be important for us to do well out in the middle. We did not do well last year by our standards.

"We probably have the best team in the tournament and when we announce the team tomorrow, it would be difficult for us to cut it down, but we have to make it happen in the pitch and start well," he said.

Among the younger lot, much is expected from Anamul Haque Bijoy, Rony Talukdar and the promising leg-spinner Nur Hossain Munna. Bijoy, the wicketkeeper-batsman, is touted as an exciting talent by coaches while Munna was picked for the Bangladesh A team at the end of last season.

Dhaka have been training for the last four days but rain has hurt their preparations and the team is likely to continue to train into the first week of October as the tournament now starts on the fourth.

Last year's position: Third.

Strength: Big name players.

Player to watch out for: Anamul Haque Bijoy.
Old September 25, 2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
SQUAD
Mohammad Ashraful , Shuvogoto Hom , Mehrab Hossain, Arafat Sunny, Nadif Chowdhury, Marshall Ayub, Shamsur Rahman, Mohammad Sharif, Talha Jubair, Tareq Aziz, Nazmul Hossain Milon, Mohammad Sharifullah, Ilyas Sunny, Uttam Kumar, Rony Talukdar, Mohammad Rafique, Imon Ahmed, Anamul Haque,
Mosharraf Hossain, Rokibul Hasan Rocky, Nadimuddin Mintu, Nur Hossain, Nazmul Hossain, Mohammad Parvez, Mohammad Azim, Mahmudullah Riyad, Mahbub Alam, Rokibul Hasan, Shahadat Hossain, Saikat Ali

Maybe the best squad but i actually hate this...

I'm afraid some of the promising upcoming player from this squad wil miss out to get a chance to play. i.e. Nur (coz of having too many spinners)/Nadimuddin(coz of Anamul..both are wk)/Saikat Ali/Nazmul Hossain Apu/Imon Ahmed
Nur Hossain will play...Nadimuddin I heard recently that he quit cricket...but I forgot to ask if he attends practice....and Anamul is a much better player..and he'll play.
Saikat, Apu and Imon are not great talent..they're good though.
Old September 25, 2010, 01:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

I think Isam vai should have had the honor of opening this thread. Oh well, no harm done.
Old September 25, 2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isam
Nur Hossain will play...Nadimuddin I heard recently that he quit cricket...but I forgot to ask if he attends practice....and Anamul is a much better player..and he'll play.
Saikat, Apu and Imon are not great talent..they're good though.

What? Are you serious? @ age of 18 he quit?
Old September 25, 2010, 01:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Thanks Nadim and Isam bhai.
Nadim please give the article's link to our official Dhaka division's thread.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by auntu; September 26, 2010 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: typo
Old September 25, 2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
What? Are you serious? @ age of 18 he quit?
he's 21...and he's taking up his dad's business
Old September 25, 2010, 02:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Player too watch for me Shuvagoto Hom. I dont know how Dhaka will progress with 10 men team. Ashraful is their "Dhut-Bhat" player.
Old September 25, 2010, 02:57 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i don't care if ashraful breaks lara's record in the first game...he should be forced to play the entire season and the selectors should disregard his top score, or even his top 2 scores and average the rest. if that average is decent (i.e around 35) without any major outliers bringing his average up, he should be considered for the zim series and world cup.

but before we bring him back into our test side, he needs at least 2 seasons of solidity at the NCL or A team level.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Good read Isam Bhai... keep em coming. You are a great writer.

(See, now I know how to spell your name right)
Old September 26, 2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
Good read Isam Bhai... keep em coming. You are a great writer.

(See, now I know how to spell your name right)
thank you..
Old September 26, 2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rafi_
Player too watch for me Shuvagoto Hom. I dont know how Dhaka will progress with 10 men team. Ashraful is their "Dhut-Bhat" player.
I recently trained with two of the players (can't name the guy) in the Dhaka team. They said the same thing. If he's in the team, he'd bowl without any reason, just because he feels like it..and he'd bat wherever he likes.
Funny coz some of the players always look upto him but that aura is on the wane.
Old September 26, 2010, 02:25 AM
Cricket Savant

Isam bhai Daily Star Special: NCL 2010 previews - Rajshahi thread ta koi? During times like this I wished CIA divided BD into zillion fragments like USSR and I was a writer working for DS. (Yeah imagine the thread count on that.)

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 26, 2010, 04:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

wow,dhaka has a really good team but i feel that they won't win the championship...
Old September 26, 2010, 07:11 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isam
I recently trained with two of the players (can't name the guy) in the Dhaka team. They said the same thing. If he's in the team, he'd bowl without any reason, just because he feels like it..and he'd bat wherever he likes.
Funny coz some of the players always look upto him but that aura is on the wane.
Interesting but not surprising. Thank you Isam vai for the inside news.
Old September 26, 2010, 07:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Why is Rafique still playing in the NCL? He may prevent Nur from getting into the XI.

Best XI:
S Shuvo
Rony
Shuva
Rok (Mehrab)
Ash*
Riyad (Marshall)
Bijoy+
Rajib
MH Rubel
Nur
Robin

And come on! No disrespect to Anamul but Shuvagoto is clearly the player to watch. Not only from Dhaka but from all teams. He will be carrying Dhaka this season. And if he has a good season he could make the WC squad. So have to disagree with you there. Plus I don't think Anamul will get much playing time just like last season.
Old September 26, 2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

too many players in the same division, which is not good sign.they should redistribute good players among teams, specially sylhett and barishal
Old September 26, 2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
Isam bhai Daily Star Special: NCL 2010 previews - Rajshahi thread ta koi? During times like this I wished CIA divided BD into zillion fragments like USSR and I was a writer working for DS. (Yeah imagine the thread count on that.)
It'll be on Tuesday's newspaper