facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 25, 2005, 05:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Australian bowling attack

After the first hour or so of the Fouth test ... I have seen the future, and it sucks.

It's going to be a long five years for Australia.

Ian Whitchurch

Old August 25, 2005, 06:39 AM
Cricket Legend

What goes up must come down.
Old August 25, 2005, 08:31 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Things can change in Heartbeat. All you need a confidence booster. brilliant catch or a run out anything can turn this thing around unless they don't have confidence.
Old August 25, 2005, 09:27 AM
Cricket Legend

do you mean Tait. He has only bowled 6 overs in test cricket. give him a break.
Old August 25, 2005, 12:43 PM
BC Editorial Team

Ok, those of you who've been watchin - give us the dirt on Tait. Reckhon he's got the goods, now that he's got two scalps in his bag?
Old August 25, 2005, 06:03 PM
Cricket Legend

RazabQ,

Tait bowls a great steaming pile of crap, then a couple of good balls. then great piles of steaming crap, then a great ball.

Depends whether you mind inaccurate express bowlers who take wickets but get belted around the park.

But Australia already has Brett Lee for that.

Ian Whitchurch
Old August 25, 2005, 10:46 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by IanW
......Tait bowls a great steaming pile of crap, then a couple of good balls. then great piles of steaming crap, then a great ball.
steaming pile of Crap? I wouldnt go that far. He is erratic..true. He was expectedly nervous as this is his maiden test. There was obviously some nerves. But once he got that first wicket, he relaxed a bit. I think during his second spell (after lunch), he bowled really well. he got the ball to swing both ways. Couple of those outswingers missed Vaughan's bat by whiskers. if u call ball well outside the offstamp as crap, then Brett Lee is guilty of that too. But the ball with which Tait got Trescothik out was a beauty. Late in-swinging yorker. The ball that got Iain Bell caught behind was also a very good late outswinger.

Ponting admitted that Tait is not there to check runs, but to bowl fast, rattle the batsmen and take wickets, which is exactly what he did (take wickets I mean). Erratic..yes...but desparate time requires desparate measures. Maybe with time he will also learn some control.

But one thing I agree...without McGrath and Warne, Aus wont be the same attack ever. If Shaun Tait is all they can conjure up to fill the shoes of McGrath, then O BOY....we r in for some really bad times.

regarding Brett Lee, I was surprised to see him trying to emulate McGrath when he opened the bowling....by bowling good length deliveries at restrained pace. he wasn't his steaming self. But thats not how Brett Lee takes wickets. he takes wickets by being fast and venomous. Maybe that is one of the reason why the opening spell lacked bite. The rain worked wonders on the pitch for a brief period. Even Ponting with his absolutely pedestrian bowling got the ball to swing both ways.

Personally I think....Vaughan should be publicly spanked for getting out to Ponting.

if the pitch dries up and Pieterson and Flintoff can hang around then the aussie bowlers may come for some heavy hitting as the pitch isnt doing anything at all for the pace bowlers. On the other hand, an early shower (which is likely) may again help the bowlers.

Edited on, August 26, 2005, 8:45 AM GMT, by AussieBloke.
Old August 26, 2005, 01:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Tait has a lot of work to go but I think with some grooming he can develop into a quality fast bowler. Sure he's erratic, sure he goes for runs regularly and his actions a trainwreck. But he is a partnership breaker, a wickettaker and someone that's really needed when the likes of McGrath and Gillespie aren't there.

Tait and Bracken will carry the Australian pace attack in years to come.
Old August 26, 2005, 02:11 AM
Cricket Legend

i am surprised they are still trying with 3 pacers approach. why dont they use mcgill?? these england batsmen have weakness against spin and it is not just warne that can expose it. tail, lee, warne and mcgill should have been the attack.

but anyway "very well played" to england.
Old August 26, 2005, 01:40 PM
BC Editorial Team

You make a good point there BdfFan. With their pace attack's limitations evident, with England's clear weakness against quality legspin, and with the Gilla monster itching to have a go at them, I wonder if in the last test Aussies will throw caution to the wind and go with an attack of Lee, Pigeon, Gilla and Warney? Punters and Dammo can bowl some fluff overs inbetween. In fact, Punters has been guilty of underbowling Damiyen.

At any rate, I don't see the Aussies winning this current match unless England really and utterly choke.
Old August 27, 2005, 12:06 AM
Test Cricketer

the problem lies in selectors choice of bowler..

why choose tait over mcgill??

btw, tait did a good job....how many players avoid getting whitewashed on their debut test??

not many bolwer hit the jackpot in their first test....3 wickets is more than enough for a team that depends on its bowlers to score all the runs and expect early knock off in wickets..

this team needs some serioius restructuring if it is to maintain supremacy....
Old August 27, 2005, 10:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

Quote:
Originally posted by James90

Tait and Bracken will carry the Australian pace attack in years to come.
They'll carry it for years to come, but makr my words, they wont be carrying the team as the number 1 ranked team in the world.

This aussie will start to struggle, a veyr tough future ahead, unless youngsters are brought in and can be nurtured in the right way.

I also see the end of buchanen. Hes been overrated a long time now, and now that we see the aussies are struggling, we can see his weaknesses in his coaching.

I really think a new , young, exciting, fresh start is needed for the aussies. That can start by bringing in a new coach.
Old August 29, 2005, 09:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Bracken. Are you serious. What can he do. If he is in the team then Bangladesh and Zimbabwe will be beating Australia by innings.
Old August 30, 2005, 01:18 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by RazabQ
......I wonder if in the last test Aussies will throw caution to the wind and go with an attack of Lee, Pigeon, Gilla and Warney?
The reason why I think they would continue in the 5th test with McGrath (if he is fit), Lee, Warne and Tait is becoz Oval is not that spin friendly. The track record shows that swing bowlers have always done good in oval (Gough, Caddick, Waqar, Wasim). It would be also unfair to dismiss the efforts of Tait. He has done handsomely. he swung the ball both sides, contained runs, beat the batsmen's bat many times....mind that it was his maiden test. Considering all these facts, the Aus management would retain him.

McGill is a wicket taking bowler. Ponting once said that McGill thinks that with his every ball he could take a wicket. McGill's inclusion would have been justified in Lords or Old Trafford. But in Oval, one spinner ought to be enough. BTW, Warne is more than one bowler put together.

What has been the differene apart from top order failing is the absence of a genuine all-rounder (Lee is not a genuine all-rounder). At times Australia's four prong attack looks a little bit undercooked. Having said that, if Australia's top order clicks then four bowlers are all they need.

One point: when Pieterson comes to bat, he does not fill me with much confidence. He is a hyper-active guy, fidgeting all the time, and u feel that with warne bowling there will be a chance almost at every ball. Peiterson is the most susceptible to spin off all the top order batsmen. So if Aus can get rid of Flintoff, then the lower order is wide open (and that includes Geraint Jones).
Old August 30, 2005, 07:40 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Tait bowls a great steaming pile of crap,
That's rather harsh. I remember watching Warne on debut - he also bowled a lot of crap..
Old August 30, 2005, 10:36 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

Quote:
Originally posted by fab
Quote:
Tait bowls a great steaming pile of crap,
That's rather harsh. I remember watching Warne on debut - he also bowled a lot of crap..
problem is tait has a history of this so far in his career, he bowled a 21 ball over, and is expensive.

he will improve though with time

Edited on, August 30, 2005, 3:37 PM GMT, by Huda.
Old August 30, 2005, 11:38 AM
ODI Cricketer

I remember Taits figures for Durham

18-0-176-0

Old September 1, 2005, 02:21 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

australia will always be among the top 3 nations in test cricket even after their golden generation is done with cricket.
Old September 2, 2005, 07:20 AM
Test Cricketer

Enter: MacGill

The Poms can't handle legspin
Old September 2, 2005, 07:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Originally posted by Huda
problem is tait has a history of this so far in his career, he bowled a 21 ball over, and is expensive.
Why must you lie?