facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 30, 2009, 02:15 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rev. Dave Chappelle
Default Mashrafe: Captaincy come, Captaincy gone!

Source: http://www.cricinfo.com/wivbdesh2009...ry/416880.html

Mashrafe Mortaza, the Bangladesh captain, has said he would happily step down and let Shakib Al Hasan continue leading the side if the board so wanted. Bangladesh board director Jala Yunus said Shakib, who led Bangladesh to their first Test series win over West Indies and a 2-0 lead in the one-dayers in the absence of the injured Mortaza, was a "serious contender" for the captain's post.

"It's not so common that someone suddenly gets an opportunity and capitalises on it with both hands but I think Shakib showed that rare quality in the tour," Mortaza told the Dhaka-based Daily Star. "It's my bad luck that I couldn't lead the team in the series but it's really encouraging for our cricket that we have discovered someone like Shakib."

Mortaza said he did not want to comment on his own future as captain till he recovered from his knee injury that forced him to leave the field during the first Test. "I don't know when I will be able to return to cricket and I am looking forward to the suggestion of my doctor [David Young]," Mortaza said.

Apart from performing well as a captain, Shakib has also been successful as an allrounder on this tour. He was Bangladesh's leading wicket-taker in the Tests, with 13 at 18.76 and scored 159 runs. He scored 119 and picked up two wickets in the first two ODIs.

According to Mortaza, Shakib was currently the No. 1 spinner in Bangladesh. "He [Shakib] already showed his quality as a captain and I don't find anything wrong if Shakib continues as captain though it's up to the board," Mortaza said. "The most important quality for a captain is that he should be a performer in the team and there is no question about Shakib's showings. You see he has been scoring consistently against different opposition since he made his international debut and he is a good fielder. But above everything it's his bowling which is really top-class."

However Bangladesh's series win has come against a second-string West Indies side that was picked after the main squad staged a boycott over contracts. Mortaza said playing a depleted West Indies side had helped but said it was a challenge to perform consistently regardless of the opposition. "And I think he [Shakib] showed something as a captain which helped the team to win the game," Mortaza said. "It may be too early to make the final comments on his captaincy but there is something encouraging. I hope under his captaincy the team will also continue their success in Zimbabwe and I will never mind if the board wants to continue this flow with him."

Yunus, who is also the Bangladesh board's media committee chairman, said Shakib had a good chance to retain the captaincy. "We are impressed at the way he led the team in the absence of Mashrafe," Yunus said. "It's bad luck for Mashrafe but Shakib took the opportunity brilliantly.

"The board of directors will take the final decision but there is no question that Shakib will be a serious candidate. We have to sit again after the Zimbabwe tour to appoint a new captain because Mashrafe has been given the job for only two series ([Indies and Zimbabwe]."

Old July 30, 2009, 02:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Default My word!!!

there is something in shakib that makes me feel like bd will go a long way under his performance and captaincy ... I got the first glimps of it when ash threw his wicket at 64 and shakib showed how a captain should lead the team and also showed his disapointment toward ash meaning maybe under his captaincy ash will start to perform better (this is only one of the glimps) ... lets not forget how shakib took the matters in his own hand to win the test series and come to think of it he performed in EVERY MATCH!!! ,,, i cannot comment on mortaza because i did not see him in captaincy in a full match yet but shakib is another DHONI if u ask me ... always talkin the risk and it seems to work ... WELL DONE mortaza a man should know when to give away the crown and you are making the right step
Old July 30, 2009, 02:43 AM
Banned

I would love to see how Mash does in leading Bangladesh. Ice man is definitely a good choice, after all he leads from the front by performing. Yet, it would be unfair not to let Mash have a try. He's earned it.

Shakib akhono team er shobaire "apni" koira bole...
Old July 30, 2009, 03:00 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

It's mainly depend on his knee injury..........
Old July 30, 2009, 03:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Part of leadership is knowing when to step back and let someone else do it better.

Mash just defused a captaincy issue
Old July 30, 2009, 03:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Whatever the decission, performance is the main thing.
Old July 30, 2009, 04:17 AM
BC Editorial Team

So now CI is just ripping of Daily Star stories?
Old July 30, 2009, 04:20 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Mashrafe has done the right thing by supporting Shakib. I don't want Mash to destroy his career for showing us fans, how he looks as a captain. He rathar focus on his injury and bowling and Let Shaki lead.

I'm more or less sure that the BCB will decide in favor of Shakib.
Old July 30, 2009, 04:26 AM
Cricket Legend

I like how these guys (Mash,Iceman (Shakib)) speak diplomatically, something we haven't seen under the Ash regime as much.
Old July 30, 2009, 04:32 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
So now CI is just ripping of Daily Star stories?
copy cat
Old July 30, 2009, 04:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Shakib is a good choice but MAsh hasn't even lead the country properly yet! THEY NEED TO GIVE MASHRAFEE A CHANCE!
Old July 30, 2009, 04:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
I would love to see how Mash does in leading Bangladesh. Ice man is definitely a good choice, after all he leads from the front by performing. Yet, it would be unfair not to let Mash have a try. He's earned it.

LOL he even calls Mushy "mushfique bhai". Isn't mushy younger than him though!?
Old July 30, 2009, 04:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antora
LOL he even calls Mushy "mushfique bhai". Isn't mushy younger than him though!?
age adjustment!
Old July 30, 2009, 04:59 AM
Cricket Legend

Mash looks like he will suffer from injuries regularly... Shakib will basically always be available. Good words by Mash, even though he didn't captain his team, he's still willing to give it all away
Old July 30, 2009, 05:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Btw Didn't Bruno bro promise that if tamim didn't score a century in 2nd innings of 2nd test that he would not return to BC? rofl!! Addictive place isn't it?
Old July 30, 2009, 06:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah

Very much agree.
Old July 30, 2009, 07:05 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

now thats a breaking news!!!
Mashrafee will be under pressure to win the next match under his captaincy. If he doesn't then yes...captaincy comes.. captaincy goes!!
Old July 30, 2009, 09:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Now that's a team player right there.
Old July 30, 2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

"Mashrafe Mortaza, the Bangladesh captain, has said he would happily step down and let Shakib Al Hasan continue leading the side if the board so wanted".
You are the captain who (his injury) begot the best captain for us so far. Mash, please accept my respect.
Old July 30, 2009, 09:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushfiqur Rahim

Nice to see Mashrafe be a man about the whole issue.
Old July 30, 2009, 09:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

From my comments in 'THE NEXT STEPS' thread:

5. Finalize the Captaincy: Even though Mash did nothing wrong, for him to retake the leadership now would be bad for him and the team. If he can’t continue the winning ways he will be blamed unfairly. Captaincy has brought out the best in Shakib and he in turn has turned BD more aggressive and hungrier than I ever recall. He can lead from the front and his willingness to try new things instead of following the same boring formulas has been a burst of fresh air desperately needed. Mash should officially announce his support for Shakib and come out looking the classy guy. Should a captaincy change be needed for some reason he can then be the next in line as opposed to taking it now that BD is on a high and blow It for good.

Good for Mash and for BD.
Old July 30, 2009, 09:56 AM

Yes, Mash is the man with big heart.

Good call Raynman.
Old July 30, 2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
From my comments in 'THE NEXT STEPS' thread:

5. Finalize the Captaincy: Even though Mash did nothing wrong, for him to retake the leadership now would be bad for him and the team. If he can’t continue the winning ways he will be blamed unfairly. Captaincy has brought out the best in Shakib and he in turn has turned BD more aggressive and hungrier than I ever recall. He can lead from the front and his willingness to try new things instead of following the same boring formulas has been a burst of fresh air desperately needed. Mash should officially announce his support for Shakib and come out looking the classy guy. Should a captaincy change be needed for some reason he can then be the next in line as opposed to taking it now that BD is on a high and blow It for good.

Good for Mash and for BD.
Well stated, dude. Hope and pray the captaincy issue will not interrupt our winning momentum.
Old July 30, 2009, 10:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Yeah, this is exactly what I was hoping Mash would do.....my respect for him just got doubled....let's make that tripled.

I was never a big fan of Mash becoming the captain….I know it was the natural progression but who said captaincy is a hierarchy? BCB should have picked Shakib (before Mash) because of his ability and his consistency with both bat and ball. He’s been very aggressive as a player with the bat and even when he bowled (he is not like Razzak who bowls nagging line and length and hopes the batsmen to make an error) and a terrific fielder as well……and all of these qualities make him a permanent fixture of the team which is what a captain should be…..a permanent member for his ability not for his role. Shakib also showed intelligence whenever he talked to the press…..he doesn’t seem nervouse like Mash and doesn’t say stupid things like Ash. But one thing I never saw coming is his emotional out burst. He is never afraid to yell at the players (including his self) whenever they make an error and is pretty vocal about it….may be this is what’s needed to guide these young bunch.

I think Shak is the best man to be the captain of Bangladesh and Mash just bettered Shak (with his personality) by showing his willingness to step out of captaincy.

Old July 30, 2009, 10:39 AM
Club Cricketer

I want Kowshik to lead Bangladesh when Shakib fails in some big matches and the whole fair-weather crowd leaves him.

In a year or so all of us will be shouting for Shakib's head. At that point Kowshik will be the right choice.