facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 28, 2007, 04:10 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Mash and Tamim
BDFlag Mohammad Ashraful's post match comments

Hi Guys this is the post match response from Ash that I got off cricinfo;

For Mohammad Ashraful it was a tough beginning as Bangladesh captain. He admitted that he had a lot to learn sitting in the hot seat and also cited his side's limited opportunities at the Test level as the reason for the defeat. He also took heart from the team's improved showing in the second innings, posting a more respectable 254 after they were bundled out for 89 in the first.

"I wouldn't have played those irresponsible shots if I had a little bit of experience," he said. "I will learn with every game. Our second innings performance proved that if we concentrate hard it is possible to play quality bowlers. For most of the second innings we actually stuck to our game plan and it came out pretty good. That is the confidence we will take going into the rest of the series."

When asked whether they missed the services of their former coach Dav Whatmore, Ashraful replied: "It's very natural to miss someone like Whatmore because he has helped Bangladesh cricket a lot. The team hasn't had any problem with the new management and the coaching staff."

Hmmmmm so Ash says he needed a little bit more experience then. Im sure a couple of years of cricket in the big arena is "little experience". Anyways I hope he learnt his lesson cos this time he really admitted it and he must be fed up.

Last edited by Ahmed_B; June 28, 2007 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Mod.edit: Please dont make the whole of the post bold

Old June 28, 2007, 04:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

well he did learn from his first innings mistake as he did not play a single hook or pull shot in his second innings
Old June 28, 2007, 04:21 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

More than 100 ODIs and 35 tests is really a little experience. After he ends up playing 500 ODIs and 175 tests, we need to consider him an experienced one.
Old June 28, 2007, 04:22 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

we passed from infacny to early childhood. It will take time. Next step would be youth. Then we can be grown ups. Regular tests and more first class games would speed up the process.
Old June 28, 2007, 04:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
we passed from infacny to early childhood. It will take time. Next step would be youth. Then we can be grown ups. Regular tests and more first class games would speed up the process.
Yeah, we need more ingestion of "nutrition" which you mentioned, hence speeding up the process of our growth.
Old June 28, 2007, 04:34 PM
First Class Cricketer

I guess an average career of a player, with a steady place in his team, spans about 300 ODIs and 125 Tests. So M. Ashraful still has 2/3rds of his career left. Hope he starts to deliver soon for the sake of Bangladesh's cricket.
Old June 28, 2007, 09:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

#4 says it all.
Old June 28, 2007, 09:25 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahg984
I guess an average career of a player, with a steady place in his team, spans about 300 ODIs and 125 Tests.....
I really hope that you're joking/ being sarcastic with that comment of yours.
Old June 28, 2007, 10:01 PM
Test Cricketer

i said many times before that ashraful doesnt have any quality to be a captain. i saw him after the match when they called the losing captain, the big smile he had in his face was like bangladesh won the world cup or something. it was a big mistake making ashraful the captain. this is not the first time i said it i said the same thing when he was first given captaincy. i am sure in very near future alot of people will agree with me.
Old June 28, 2007, 11:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

He's right about the experience part.. They dont play test matches that much.. They play around 6-8 tests per year.. and not much first-class matches either.. So whatever he said is very true.. Yes you can say he played 35/36 test matches and that is enough for experiences.. you have to see that in 7 yrs time he played only 36 matches.. and other players from the elite team would have played around 60 test matches in the mean time.. so its not enough for him or other players... They have to play first class matches regularly to gain test experience... They are lacking experiences and patiences.. They can gain them by playing longer version of cricket only..

Last edited by Murad; June 29, 2007 at 12:22 AM..
Old June 29, 2007, 12:00 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoun
i said many times before that ashraful doesnt have any quality to be a captain. i saw him after the match when they called the losing captain, the big smile he had in his face was like bangladesh won the world cup or something. it was a big mistake making ashraful the captain. this is not the first time i said it i said the same thing when he was first given captaincy. i am sure in very near future alot of people will agree with me.
i think you are wrong about his captaincy.. he did pretty good in the field as a captain.. you can't deny that if u have watched the game.. otherwise u wudnt know.. this was his internation match as a catpain.. and i think given time he will improve a lot.. just have patiences.. we will see better results in near future inshallah..and he will be the best captain bd ever had..

and there was nothing wrong in smiling.. and i don't think he wanted him to cry in front of the camera that time.. did u?

One question.. who did you think has more quality than him as a captain in the current team??
Old June 29, 2007, 12:05 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Bangladesh
well he did learn from his first innings mistake as he did not play a single hook or pull shot in his second innings
i ditto that..!!
Old June 29, 2007, 12:17 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
.. you have to see that in 7 yrs time he played only 36 matches..
If playing for 7 years doesn't teach how to be responsible while selecting shots, I guess we have to wait for Ash to become around 40 year old to be experienced? No?

Playing more tests every year would help, no doubt. But, that's not in our hand. ICC decides that. But, on a serious note, time should teach u something too, just not the frequency. And, 7 years is not a small duration. Many players career have ended before they could continue playing irresponsibly for 7 years.

Merit without application is not of much use.Ash is taking too long to grow up, I just hope someday he really grows up.Someday.
Old June 29, 2007, 12:23 AM
Cricket Legend

I think what he meant was he doesnt get scope to play many longer version matches but it came out wrong. 36 tests is enough experience. Don Bradman played like 52 or something test if I remember right(and averaged 99.94).
Old June 29, 2007, 12:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyobreeze
....Ash is taking too long to grow up, I just hope someday he really grows up.Someday.

You are right on that.. He's really a slow learner.. Its the age i gues.. hes only 23 now.. And now hes becoming more mature.. within 1/2 yr i hope we see the true ash...
Old June 29, 2007, 03:19 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
You are right on that.. He's really a slow learner.. Its the age i gues.. hes only 23 now.. And now hes becoming more mature.. within 1/2 yr i hope we see the true ash...
yeah mate....we are actually seeing the true ash....(chai)...
what he needs to do is act as one of the most experienced member of the team.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 29, 2007, 03:22 AM
Cricket Guru

what the ..... he keeps saying he has little experience!! and i thought he was the one who score the first test century at the age of 14..... oh well lets hope they learn from their mistakes!!!
Old June 29, 2007, 03:43 AM

I shall wait and see if he really change after being captain, I am counting on his captaincy may make the trick, otherwise its all old talking ' I / we am/ are learning' without any sign of it.
Old June 29, 2007, 06:33 AM
Street Cricketer

BD players are not doing good in test because they don't want to do. They still think like menows. That is the problem. Most of the win in odi comes against weak team so we can't say that we are a very good odi team. Does our player really looks very confident against big teams
Old June 29, 2007, 07:26 AM
Test Cricketer

Their attitide in test matches need to be changed. It seems as if they are awed by strong opponents in test cricket. Instead of saying to drag a test into the 5th day, we must seriously start thinking of winning one.
Old June 29, 2007, 08:19 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryin Out
I really hope that you're joking/ being sarcastic with that comment of yours.
no i was serious, i looked up the stats of a few established players with long careers and those are the approximate numbers i get. on 2nd thought, i would revise the numbers down to 100 tests and 250-300 ODIs.
Old June 29, 2007, 08:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

One lesson Ashraful needs to learn above all is that learning is a never ending process. So sorry, can't wait for him to finish his learning. Either perform better or give captaincy to someone who learns faster or learns before the game starts not ponder into an innings defeat.

There goes a saying "Experience is the name we give to mistakes" - Oscar Wilde.
Old June 29, 2007, 08:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
One lesson Ashraful needs to learn above all is that learning is a never ending process. So sorry, can't wait for him to finish his learning. Either perform better or give captaincy to someone who learns faster or learns before the game starts not ponder into an innings defeat.

There goes a saying "Experience is the name we give to mistakes" - Oscar Wilde.
It was his first game as captain and we started questioning his captaincy!!!

Last edited by WarWolf; June 29, 2007 at 08:57 AM..
Old June 29, 2007, 09:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Usual Basharlike statement. Nothing new in it.
Old June 29, 2007, 09:41 AM
Club Cricketer

Ash's stupid way of getting out in the second innings does not indicate that he is prepared to learn from experience.