facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: How would you rate Naeem's Inning Today?
I liked his way of play. He had to play due to the situation to play 50 overs. 12 25.00%
He played well. But he should have tried to score more runs. 26 54.17%
He played completely selfish and didn't think for the team. 6 12.50%
He is rubbish. 43% SR is totally unacceptable at this stage. 1 2.08%
Others....( Please explain) 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 14, 2008, 08:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....
Default How would you rate Naeem's Batting Today

Today Naeem got the chance to face a bowler in ODI for the first time. He played an extremely slow innings (46 of 106 balls) due to the situation. He came to bat when the top order just collapsed by being adventurous and no hope of win was remaining. It seemed to me that he wanted to cement his position in the team by playing long inning rather than trying to reach an target which seemed to be unreachable that time.

Please feel free to rate his inning today.

Old October 14, 2008, 08:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I think he implemented the team rule perfectly. When Ash did it most of us said he is getting matured. We have a matured kid in our team from the beginning. wow!!
Old October 14, 2008, 09:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Actually the speed of batting depends on the target. With a target of 200, you can take your time and settle with a initial SR of 30%; but with the target being 250, effectively 7 RPO when he came to bat, he should have tried to speed up from the begining.

If you look at the NZ innings, they were in pure trouble at the start, 2 for 14 or something after 8 overs. Then J. How started playing the shots and they ultimately recovered from the early loss. SR is situation dependent. Naeem is guilty of playing slowly; but the selectors should also come forward to correct their selection policies that will allow players to play their natural game.
Old October 14, 2008, 10:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Good bat but was clearly selfish today. I somewhat have lost respect for him. But then again MaMu was also playing as if it was a Test match!

I can't really figure out this kind of attitude. They gave up chasing so early on in a Series decider!!!
Old October 14, 2008, 10:45 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

It was a selfish innings, but I didn't expect anything else from a Bangladeshi batsman in this situation. I'd be surprised if he did better than this.
Old October 14, 2008, 10:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

selfish? how is playing sensibly selfish? bd needed an anchor player 4 this odi as the top order collapsed..if he played faster n got out they cudve been out at 110 or sumthin so dont say he played selfish
Old October 14, 2008, 11:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

He is not the first one to score some runs when the outcome of the match has been decided already. I have seen that dance before.

On a side note : Does our no.5 Sakib know how to score of spinners without slog sweeping ? And, he is slated to be in top six in the test matches? I am sure Vettori and Patel won't offer him sweep shots. He will have to come on front foot to play on the offside- to defend and to score. Good luck.
Old October 14, 2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

bd players are rubbish and fans expectations are more rubbish. team supposed to be all out below 120 runs, situation was one time 98/7. that time this guy hold one side and made unbeaten 46 and takes run to 170 and now he is guilty of playing slow.and dont forget it was his first ODI batting. he didnt get chance to bat in first ODI, 2nd ODI, our beloved ash make him run out even beefore he face any ball. first understand cricket and then blame some one.
Old October 14, 2008, 12:37 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Gilly, Rafiq, Klusner

I voted OTHERS

There should be a option like "HE PLAYED TO IMPRESS BAGH MAMA, TO GET INTO THE TEST TEAM"
[which he did]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Nayeem knows exactly what he has to do in order to please "Baghmama" with the bat ... bravo ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaseer
And Bagh mama with his bundle of cricketing knowledge is surely going to acknowledge that.
Old October 14, 2008, 12:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

I didn't watch the BD innings. So Don't know how he was and why he batted so slow.

And also looking at the scorecard, we lost only 7 wickets and he was not out till the end, he should have made more runs in the end. Razzak and Rajib made some quick runs then why couldn't he? He wanted to be not out?

BTW guys hes not a hard hitter. He's a no.4 batsman.
Old October 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

i think what he should have done make 2/3 four and 1 six and get out quickly and make some fans happy
Old October 14, 2008, 01:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
On a side note : Does our no.5 Sakib know how to score of spinners without slog sweeping ? And, he is slated to be in top six in the test matches? I am sure Vettori and Patel won't offer him sweep shots. He will have to come on front foot to play on the offside- to defend and to score. Good luck.
If u have seen his dismissal !!! Before he got out he tried three times that same shot and failed to make contact. That was the first time he made contact and out of this slog sweep. It was inexplicable at that time when Ash just got out ! These two player's irresponsibility drown us today.
Old October 14, 2008, 01:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Naeem played ok, seems like he will be good for test match, or he showed everyone that can play test match so selector take him.
Old October 14, 2008, 01:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mij
Naeem played ok, seems like he will be good for test match, or he showed everyone that can play test match so selector take him.
Good anticipation. But I don't find him as a technically sound batsman. If he can implement with that flaw that would be great.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Maybe not the right thread....but i still think Tameem had athe best knock despite his bravado batting...taking too many risks...we should have 'no fear' aggressive, can-do mentality and not be cowered by "perhaps" and "maybes".

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 14, 2008, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

I wouldn't rate it at all. At 98/7, the match was already lost.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:19 PM
Cricket Sage

I would rate it a good stepping stone innings for him that may take him next level in future. If he still plays games like this after his 100th ODI, I would make different conclusion like a "selfish innings" and "don't know how to play based on team's need" or something like that.

And that where I see the difference betwwen a slow innings played by Ashraful in 2nd ODI and Naeem's this innings in 3rd ODI.
Old October 14, 2008, 02:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

Naeem played like Ashraful played in the 2nd ODI...except Ashraful lost us the match..and Naeem was playing an already lost match/.
Old October 14, 2008, 03:18 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
i think what he should have done make 2/3 four and 1 six and get out quickly and make some fans happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mij
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
Good anticipation. But I don't find him as a technically sound batsman. If he can implement with that flaw that would be great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
I wouldn't rate it at all. At 98/7, the match was already lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I would rate it a good stepping stone innings for him that may take him next level in future. If he still plays games like this after his 100th ODI, I would make different conclusion like a "selfish innings" and "don't know how to play based on team's need" or something like that.

And that where I see the difference betwwen a slow innings played by Ashraful in 2nd ODI and Naeem's this innings in 3rd ODI.
I agree with what ever u guys have said.I am just pasting what i wrote about Naeem in the thread http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=28101

there is no point reading too much into todays innings simply because of the situation the match and he was in. There is a view that he was too slow and didn't show much class. I agree that he didn't show much class but then Steve Waugh never showed any sort of visually attractive class in his batting. SW class was the way he would grit it out there and as time went by he became a more open batsman and the way he would handle conditions would be seen as class. Infact it was his brother to had class in him but didn't acheive the heights that steve achived.

I am not saying Naeem is our future SW. What I am just saying is that dont judge the guy in one innings. He actually knowingly or unknowingly did a lot of benefit to himself. The game was already over with the fall of the sixth wicket that even as early as the 30th over. Mashrafee was with him. There was nothing to lose and hence no pressure to win. He had the opportunity to play 20 overs of international cricket without having the pressure of accelarating or playing according to match situtaion. Nobody except for the ultra optimistic people was looking at him.

That allowed him the scope to bat for twenty overs in a international condition and get the feel of what international cricket is, for "free". That may put him in good stead in the future as that nervousness of international cricket, the feel that do i belong to it or not may have rubbed of from his psycology.

So there is no point reading too much into Naeem in just one innings. After all the guy must have got some talent to score 4 100s and 16 50s in 43 first class games, which by no means is a Mahmudullah (8 50s in 29m) achievment.

A comparison between his FC stats and List A stats suggest that he is a batsman better suited to the longer version of the game then the shorter one.

Thus it may be the right choice to go in with him in the test squad for now in the absence of Raqibul and probably these to may become test permanents in future.
Old October 14, 2008, 03:32 PM
Cricket Legend

The tendency of our batsmen is to play ODIs like test, then everyone thinks they are test batsmen, get selected in the test team, play crap and still we see them as TALENTs.

A good batsman must have the capability of playing ODIs like ODIs, tests like tests, T20s like T20s. From a newcomer, I want to see the spirit that he actually wants to WIN the match. If, we still need to live in those days of 'Shommanjonok porajoy', then bring back Nannu, Athar and Durjoy, we do not need these TALENTS. (Do not ask me what did the others do? That is a bad practice of escape route. Ashraful scoring a duck does not imply that even the completely newcomer should not try to win the match.)

Last edited by Baundule; October 14, 2008 at 03:38 PM..
Old October 14, 2008, 03:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Good post safaat. I agree with most of the parts except
Quote:
There is a view that he was too slow and didn't show much class.
Initially he seemed to have no urge for scoring. The game was already over. We don't know what was the instruction of the team management. I can guess coach might have said "play as you like".
That was his first ODI inning. I don't see any wrong if wanted to pass a long time in the middle to get confidence. He knew with only 5 wickets in hand and chasing a RR above 7, it was not possible to win the game for his team from that point.

Now about class. It's true initially he didn't play any attractive shot. But if you watched the full game you probably have seen him playing some lovely eye catching shots just before the end of the BD inning. His movement of feet was excellent. He seemed to be a class to me.
Old October 14, 2008, 04:08 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Good post safaat. I agree with most of the parts except

Initially he seemed to have no urge for scoring. The game was already over. We don't know what was the instruction of the team management. I can guess coach might have said "play as you like".
That was his first ODI inning. I don't see any wrong if wanted to pass a long time in the middle to get confidence. He knew with only 5 wickets in hand and chasing a RR above 7, it was not possible to win the game for his team from that point.

Now about class. It's true initially he didn't play any attractive shot. But if you watched the full game you probably have seen him playing some lovely eye catching shots just before the end of the BD inning. His movement of feet was excellent. He seemed to be a class to me.
its true I didn't watch the last portion of the innings so probably missed on the best portion of his knock

Last edited by safaat; October 14, 2008 at 04:33 PM..
Old October 14, 2008, 04:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

tbh i thought the match was already over and didn't think it was worth going out and trying to blast the ball all over the field and get out really quickly and look stupid. he's a new player to international cricket, needs to cement his place in the team and more importantly needs to get use to international quality opposition, these are things he's closer to achieving by batting the way he did in the last match.
Old October 14, 2008, 04:45 PM
Cricket Legend

So, in every series we can select some new set of players, those will play assuming a 5.5 RPO with 6 wickets in hand is impossible to achieve and then play for a honorable(?) defeat to 'cement' his place in the team. Unfortunately, we have seen this tendency before and we have also seen that what we think as 'cement' is actually 'sand'.
Old October 14, 2008, 04:58 PM
Cricket Sage

What is considered a cement type of innings by our 100+ ODI experiecned player, how come it suddenly become a 'sand' type of innings when its played by a rookie player?

When Ash plays a innings like that it becomes a sign of maturity...and then when a new playewr follows the same path... suddenly it becomes a sign of failure and selfishness?

Amader Niyott jodi thik na thakey.... and we continue to show our favouratism, our suffering will continue... and there is nobody but oursleves to blame.

if we need to set a new standard, set an example. then set it from the top and the old,... not from the bottom and the new. Whe you set the standard for the old, then new will follow automatically. The new will get confused and lost only when you send dual and double standard message.