facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 17, 2010, 05:56 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: TI,Moyna,Tendu,dhoni
Default Tamim draws inspiration from Sehwag

Virender Sehwag's nonchalant approach towards batting is something that inspires dashing Bangladeshi opener Tamim Iqbal.

The 21-year-old Tamim, who won the Wisden's Cricketer of the Year award, feels that Sehwag's approach gave him confidence to go for attacking shots in the first session of a Test match.

"When I first came into scene, I wasn't doing badly in the one-dayers but in Test cricket, I used to be caught in two minds. Whether to attack or defend and more importantly when to attack. Sehwag is one batsman who changed the grammar of batting as far as Test openers are concerned," Tamim told PTI over phone.

"After a certain point of time, I decided that I will play my natural game just like Sehwag does. That is to dominate the bowlers and fortunately I have been successful in my endeavour," Tamim added.

Tamim was applauded by none other than the legendary Sachin Tendulkar after he hit 151 against India in Dhaka earlier this year off only 183 deliveries including 18 boundaries and three sixes.

"It was a touching gesture from Sachin to come to our dressing room and interact with the players after the Test match. All of us were free to ask him questions. I asked him if he could point out the flaw he found in my batting. He told me that I am doing absolutely fine and should play in the manner I feel comfortable," said the proud Bangladeshi opener.

Tamim feels that his back-to-back hundreds against England, which clinched the Test Player of the Year award, will forever remain special.

"The century (103, 100 balls, 15x4, 2x6) against England at Lord's is a special one but I consider my innings at Old Trafford (108, 114 balls, 11x4, 1x6) as a better effort."

Recuperating from a wrist injury, Tamim is ecstatic about the fact that Bangladesh have blanked New Zealand in the ODI series.

"Yesterday, I got the news of my award and the team won series. I feel really proud of my achievements as well as what my team has achieved. Even though I wasn't a part of the team due to injury but I felt as if I was present at the ground," Tamim, who will make a comeback against Zimbabwe, said.

He became a household name in India when he stepped out of his crease to hit Zaheer Khan for a flat six over long-on during the 2007 Cricket World Cup but for 21-year-old feels that particular shot is "no longer his favourite as it used to be earlier."

"Well, I know people remember that particular shot but that's no longer my favourite."

But it pains Tamim to find that he is yet to showcase his skills in the Indian Premier League.

"It's not about the money but the kind of exposure you get playing in the IPL. I just want to enjoy that level of competition," concluded the young opener.

http://cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/312...on-from-Sehwag

Old October 17, 2010, 07:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Thanks a million for the post.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old October 18, 2010, 07:33 AM
Banned

fighting is going on between Indian and Bangladeshi fans relating to the award of Tamim. Pls read comments section of following link
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/481789.html
Old October 18, 2010, 02:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Btw...I really don't get it why we always have to refer to a player as "dashing" in every single article. If you're on Tamim's fan page on FB, you'll know what I mean. It gets irritating - can't you find some other words to appreciate?