facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 31, 2012, 10:47 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don
Default Facebook timeline --- your reaction

FB makes money primarily by selling people's info to companies. Consequently, I always have been a bit uncomfortable with FB. I keep my privacy settings tight, but FB has reset them many times in the past. I am seriously considering whether it is even worth being on Facebook with their latest change.

Old January 31, 2012, 11:10 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

^^^ My feelings too. Only friends and family is keeping me there.
Old January 31, 2012, 11:14 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

I seriously don't like the timeline feature. For some reason, my account is still in the old format. Once they change mine into timeline format, I might consider to get rid of FB.

But once again, I use to it keep in touch with my school friends from Dhaka and they constitute more than half of my friend list. Thus I am really reluctant to leave FB but privacy and security comes first.
Old January 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Without Facebook what would I do in class?

I hate the Timeline thing. But think about it, if you ever need an alibi for some reason this timeline is the perfect place to start.
Old January 31, 2012, 01:01 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Hate the timeline.
But guess will get used to with it after a while.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 31, 2012, 01:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Timeline'ta ki jinish? I have not logged in to facebook for at least a month.

I have time for BC, college football, Tennis minus Federer, Tiger Woods but no time for Facebook.
Old January 31, 2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Hate the timeline.
But guess will get used to with it after a while.
That is precisely what FB is hoping to hear...
Old January 31, 2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
Without Facebook what would I do in class?

I hate the Timeline thing. But think about it, if you ever need an alibi for some reason this timeline is the perfect place to start.
Spoken like a true criminal! Is there something in your past we should be aware of?
Old January 31, 2012, 03:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

"unlike" d
Old January 31, 2012, 03:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Spoken like a true criminal! Is there something in your past we should be aware of?
Now my whole family knows I had a gf few years back!!

:Facepalm

When I started using FB, only some friends at my uni had it, But now my whole family uses it and this fact has come back to haunt me!!
Old January 31, 2012, 04:10 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
I suppose we will find out from his timeline.

BTW I don't like it. I still have the old FB interface.
Old January 31, 2012, 07:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Timeline is confusing. I hate it.
Old January 31, 2012, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Whatever is being shown in the Timeline is whatever you decided to share with Facebook. Timeline is nothing more than an alternate presentation of information FB already had and was displaying. The issue of privacy is a different matter and FB has been playing on our patience for a while. But it is a risk you take when uploading all our personal information to a third-party commercial organization.

Think of it the way I describe to my daughter. Only put up on Facebook what you would not mind seeing in big bold letters on a billboard by the highway.

Remember one thing: We are NOT the clients FaceBook. We are the PRODUCTS. One is never a client if one pays jack all for something. FaceBook clients are their advertisers and more importantly all the companies paying top-dollar for the marketing and sales analytics Facebook can run on our aggregated information and our connections. They don't even need to display visible adds. And this can be done anonymized with your personal data obfuscated.

There's gold in them thaar hills of data. Actually, more than gold. The business intelligence derived from our data is worth its weight in Californium 252 ($27 million per gram)

I personally like the timeline.
Old January 31, 2012, 09:04 PM
Cricket Savant

ashraful batey raan pay na aar shuzi da fb'r tensioney mara jay....hmmph

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 31, 2012, 09:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mash, Alok, Ash, Sakib

The timeline feature is extremely annoying. I do not have it yet, but if I am forced to change it, I am gettng rid of facebook altogether. I really dislike it, I dont want people to roam through my past -___- I honestly dont get why facebook has to ENFORCE such changes, people should have the right to decide what they want their profile to look like.
Old January 31, 2012, 09:42 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Wow, I am not the only one to hate this Timeline SubhanAllah!

The sole reason why i joined Facebook to begin with is because i was constantly pressured by my friends to do so, so at one point i just gave it. plus, The communication is so much easier with Facebook. once you delete/disable your account, you will feel disconnected somehow.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashraf-FTP
The timeline feature is extremely annoying. I do not have it yet, but if I am forced to change it, I am gettng rid of facebook altogether. I really dislike it, I dont want people to roam through my past -___- I honestly dont get why facebook has to ENFORCE such changes, people should have the right to decide what they want their profile to look like.
The only reason people can roam through your past is because YOU made the data available for people. If you don;t want people to see it, don;t put it on Facebook. Simple.
Old January 31, 2012, 10:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
The only reason people can roam through your past is because YOU made the data available for people. If you don;t want people to see it, don;t put it on Facebook. Simple.
But Doc 10 years ago I was more naive than before and writing "whooow hoo Justin Bieber concert tickets!" might have reflected different personality than mine right now. But sometimes it's shocking the stuffs that comes up from ego search.

What's annoying is facebook CONSTANTLY making changes and somehow duping people thinking their privacy is secured and you constantly have to change it in privacy settings. There are some unsavory stalker characters who thrive on these moment and boom! the moment change is made goes to her account and browse through photos and then takes the user id and copies and paste it to a different link to view the main album of her photos as well as....

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Zeeshan - the latter part is a very valid criticism of FaceBook as to how they play musical chairs with privacy settings. You just have to be on your toes and knowing that everything on the web can end up being public, you just don't broadcast your beiber-love or cyrus-crush that publicly. Glad my daughter has two very net savvy parents who has drilled into her the dos and don'ts of this new paradigm.
Old February 1, 2012, 06:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

I don't like FB Timeline as well...
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old February 1, 2012, 09:26 AM

I have always been very careful in FB and never put anything there that I would not feel comfortable everybody knowing about it. People have lost jobs or have had job offers pulled because of stuff they said on FB long time ago.

FB (or Google+) is in the business of making money and is not your friend. If you keep this in mind, you are less likely to put stupid stuff out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Whatever is being shown in the Timeline is whatever you decided to share with Facebook. Timeline is nothing more than an alternate presentation of information FB already had and was displaying. The issue of privacy is a different matter and FB has been playing on our patience for a while. But it is a risk you take when uploading all our personal information to a third-party commercial organization.

Think of it the way I describe to my daughter. Only put up on Facebook what you would not mind seeing in big bold letters on a billboard by the highway.

Remember one thing: We are NOT the clients FaceBook. We are the PRODUCTS. One is never a client if one pays jack all for something. FaceBook clients are their advertisers and more importantly all the companies paying top-dollar for the marketing and sales analytics Facebook can run on our aggregated information and our connections. They don't even need to display visible adds. And this can be done anonymized with your personal data obfuscated.

There's gold in them thaar hills of data. Actually, more than gold. The business intelligence derived from our data is worth its weight in Californium 252 ($27 million per gram)

I personally like the timeline.
Old February 1, 2012, 02:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

it's very annoying!
Old February 1, 2012, 02:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

ok,so did anyone here say it's good? I guess not.
and I guess the majority of FB users are not liking it,or is it just the BCers?
Old February 1, 2012, 11:32 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I personally like Timeline as I get to laugh at my (and my friends') inane wallposts from ages ago. It's also easier to find 'that' link that you saw on someone's wall a few months ago.

If you don't want your family or certain friends to see tagged photos/photo albums/notes etc. then just change your privacy settings to specifically exclude them. Or change your settings so that you have to manually approve any photo/link you've been tagged in so that your family/employer doesn't see you involved in something compromising.
Old February 1, 2012, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I personally like Timeline as I get to laugh at my (and my friends') inane wallposts from ages ago. It's also easier to find 'that' link that you saw on someone's wall a few months ago.

If you don't want your family or certain friends to see tagged photos/photo albums/notes etc. then just change your privacy settings to specifically exclude them. Or change your settings so that you have to manually approve any photo/link you've been tagged in so that your family/employer doesn't see you involved in something compromising.
First of all - why would you have any employer, employee or colleague be a FB friend? That's for linked in. And if you are forced to 'befriend' a relative but don't want to, just friend them put them in the restricted list. That way they do not get to see any more than what you have made available to the public. And why would you post anything that you would be ashamed of or be afraid of later? You don't get up in the bus and start telling everyone how pissed you were in the party last night, do you?