facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old January 16, 2005, 04:50 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Match Thread: Bangladesh Vs. Zimbabwe Test 2 (Day 4)

i dont trust bangladesh to make 300 +. definitely not in their second innings....but good luck to them anyway,

Live commentary
Banglacricket Chat

Edited on, January 16, 2005, 11:40 PM GMT, by Zunaid.
Reason: added links

Old January 16, 2005, 04:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

We must play for the Draw and for this we need some body scores big and everybody tries there best to stay at the crease(Learn some thing from Taibu)
Old January 16, 2005, 05:01 PM
Test Cricketer

I am being a pessimist, a loss by less than 100 runs will do for me. Of course, if they can win, I will be the happiest, but I am just scared to dream that...
Old January 16, 2005, 05:58 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by abu_akif
I am being a pessimist, a loss by less than 100 runs will do for me. Of course, if they can win, I will be the happiest, but I am just scared to dream that...
Old January 16, 2005, 06:00 PM
Club Cricketer

There is first time for everything ...I wish this time BD can chase more than 350 lead ....good luck ...anything is possible if Bashar and Ash click ...
Old January 16, 2005, 06:22 PM
Test Cricketer

I wanna say this on record before the game starts.

"I support bangladesh cricket team regardless of the result of this test, this test series, the next one-day series or the series after that. I support my team whether they score one hundred or they score a five hundred. I support my team regardless of the opponent or the game situation. And I am going to stay awake tonight, like I did the last three night, to see Bangladesh kick some serious Zimbabwean A-S-S!!!"

GO B-A-N-G-L-A-D-E-S-H!!

Blah

Edited on, January 16, 2005, 11:23 PM GMT, by Blah.
Old January 16, 2005, 06:26 PM
Retired BC Admin

Without the help from nature, the possibility for a draw is almost non-existant because if the tigers were to play out 4-5 sessons for draw, they would theoretically cover 270 to 360 runs which should be pretty pretty close in the end.

So, a win or lose is the most likely outcome.

First innings was a wake up call for the tigers. After winning the 1st match they seemingly lost the competative tone in their muscles. They simply didn't know how to deal with the tremendous hangover from a win. They wanted to win the series but they allowed themselves to float in the euphoria just a little longer.

The inevitable of early struggle was written all over when Ashraful went on record to lament Zimbabwean bowling as weak. Soon enough, the whole team find itself in the deep.

Only a disciplined and determined team work can help the tigers pull out of the mess. It is neither that they haven't learn anything in case they lose nor that they had graduated overnight in the event they pull this through, the overall experience since the India tour has been priceless, regardless of the outcomes.

They know exactly what to do now. We just pray and hope, they have enough strength left to execute it.

Go tigers, you can do it.
Old January 16, 2005, 06:34 PM
Club Cricketer

if Ashraful does not get a decent score, he is going to be a laughing stock for making those premature remarks, so here's hoping he gets a big hundred for his sake, the team's sake and all us poor fans sake.
Old January 16, 2005, 06:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

Actually think about the Bangladesh match against Sri Lanka.. Bangladesh was bundled out for 90 in the First Innings.. Sri Lanka had a massive 1st innings lead..

This time Zimbabwe only has an 97 run lead and is at 203 for 6 in the second.. So, Bangladesh has a slight chance if you want to entertain that angle. I know Bangladesh has an extremely difficult and daunting task at hand. Let us just wait and see before becoming psychics

Azim
Old January 16, 2005, 07:13 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by shakilc
There is first time for everything ...I wish this time BD can chase more than 350 lead ....good luck ...anything is possible if Bashar and Ash click ...

That's the spirit. I love it. Go Bangladesh Go for win as draw is impossible
Old January 16, 2005, 07:25 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

cm bhai, well said! The Tigers have to dig deep and draw from their positive experience of the first test now. They know this Zimbabwe team is beatable. Tigers are down but hopefully, they will get up and put in one more great effort before this test series ends. We need to go into the ODIs on a positive note.

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
Without the help from nature, the possibility for a draw is almost non-existant because if the tigers were to play out 4-5 sessons for draw, they would theoretically cover 270 to 360 runs which should be pretty pretty close in the end.

So, a win or lose is the most likely outcome.

First innings was a wake up call for the tigers. After winning the 1st match they seemingly lost the competative tone in their muscles. They simply didn't know how to deal with the tremendous hangover from a win. They wanted to win the series but they allowed themselves to float in the euphoria just a little longer.

The inevitable of early struggle was written all over when Ashraful went on record to lament Zimbabwean bowling as weak. Soon enough, the whole team find itself in the deep.

Only a disciplined and determined team work can help the tigers pull out of the mess. It is neither that they haven't learn anything in case they lose nor that they had graduated overnight in the event they pull this through, the overall experience since the India tour has been priceless, regardless of the outcomes.

They know exactly what to do now. We just pray and hope, they have enough strength left to execute it.

Go tigers, you can do it.
Edited on, January 17, 2005, 2:31 AM GMT, by pompous.
Old January 16, 2005, 08:28 PM
Street Cricketer

cricket is a strange game, you never know what will happen, lets see what is waiting for us, it is really a bad luck for us the recent situation which was not obvious that our batsman presented us, I think only they can recover this situation I mean they have to take the responsibility of this situation.

Edited on, January 17, 2005, 1:32 AM GMT, by amin.
Old January 16, 2005, 08:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Believe in the team. They can win.....very much in it. Believe. Believe.
Old January 16, 2005, 08:41 PM
Cricket Legend

our batsmen lacks concentration and determination, they give lots of lots of edges or too late to play the ball, they hardly middle the ball with bat and thus shows they have not yet matured as good batsmen, sure our batsmen can score runs now and then, but they are not good with the basics. hopefully in 2/3 years we will have some better batsmen in our team with the improvement of cricket system in BD.
Old January 16, 2005, 08:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Today is going to be a matter of disciplined bowling to minimise the number of runs Zimbabwe have in the bank.

Will the target be over 330 ? Probably.

Will it be tough batting ? Yes.

But it'll be a matter of 20 runs at a time, of building good partnerships and staying at the crease.

If there is swing, Hondo will be a handful.

If there isnt, then Zimbabwe's spinners are going to have to bowl very well, or hope Bangladesh's batsmen bat badly.

Bangladesh can score runs against this attack on a slow pitch, and so far it hasnt done that much.

But when it's time to bat, it'll be a case of hit balls that are there to be hit, and leave or defend anything else. Unless Zimbabwe bat Bangladesh oput of the game, time will not be an issue - and if they do, then Bangladesh will only have about four and a half sessions to bat to save the game.

Ian
Old January 16, 2005, 09:15 PM
Club Cricketer

Does anyone know how many times a team has successfully chased 350+ in the 4th innings to win a test, say during the last 2-3 years? I am curious. My best guess is that the number of such instances is close to zero, if not zero itself.

Edited on, January 17, 2005, 2:15 AM GMT, by deshibhai.
Old January 16, 2005, 09:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

The pitch did not look that bad on Day 3, so i am hopeful that determined BD batsmen will do OK on the 4th/5th day pitch. The question is: are they determined?... I believe they are!

Old January 16, 2005, 09:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

The fact of the matter is that we are all tensed about the outcome of this match because of our unflinching support of the team. My better senses say that we are going to lose this match. Do we have the potential of winning from here? Certainly we have, but whether all pieces will fall in place is another matter. I would like to see a very tough fight from the Bangladesh team. I will feel sad if we lose, but I will be able to take it if we can put a real price on each wicket when we bat.

I don't care whether we play our natural or unnatural game. They have to stick it out there. A case in point is Taibu. How responsible this young player is. He could have almost gotten 3 centuries. We need at least one player just willing to stay there. This may be a great opportunity for our team to show what they are really made of. Hoping against hope.
Old January 16, 2005, 09:23 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by deshibhai
Does anyone know how many times a team has successfully chased 350+ in the 4th innings to win a test, say during the last 2-3 years? I am curious. My best guess is that the number of such instances is close to zero, if not zero itself.

Edited on, January 17, 2005, 2:15 AM GMT, by deshibhai.
418-7 (set 418) West Indies v Australia St John's 2002/03 (world record)

381-7 (set 440) Australia v New Zealand Perth 2001/02

357-6 (set 443) Australia v India Sydney 2003/04

354-5 (set 441) West Indies v South Africa Cape Town 2003/04

451 (set 550) New Zealand v England Christchurch 2001/02

397 (set 568) India v England Lord's 2002

source: cricinfo

Edited on, January 17, 2005, 2:24 AM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Old January 16, 2005, 09:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Quote:
Does anyone know how many times a team has successfully chased 350+ in the 4th innings to win a test, say during the last 2-3 years?
Very few. In fact its only 6 times that a team has chased 320 odd runs or more in the fourthinnings in the history of test cricket:

* 418/7 West Indieas-Australia, St. Jones 2003/2004
* 406/4 India-West Indies, Port of Spain 1975/76
* 404/3 Australia-England, Leads 1948
* 369/6 Australia-Pakistan, Hobert 1999-2000
* 332/7 Australia-West Indies, Georgtown 1977/78
* 348/5 West Indies-New Zealand, Aukland 1986

Interesting to note that West Indies were involved on four occations either to chase or to defend in the fourth innings. Can Bangladesh add her name as a winner to this list? I still believe we can!

P.S. ok reverse_swing got some different stats than of mine. Let me check again for the correction

Edited on, January 17, 2005, 2:33 AM GMT, by Navarene.
Old January 16, 2005, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IanW
...But when it's time to bat, it'll be a case of hit balls that are there to be hit, and leave or defend anything else. Unless Zimbabwe bat Bangladesh oput of the game, time will not be an issue - and if they do, then Bangladesh will only have about four and a half sessions to bat to save the game.

Ian
I think above comment is the key for Bangladesh batsman to save this match or win.
Specially Nafis, Rajin, Ash, Aftab must have to stay on the pitch for long time and score 50+ in average.
Bashar must have to score like a captain do, If Taibu can do something almost every time, why not Bashar?
Our bowlers are a big bonus for us with bat, which most of the team don't have.
We still have chance, because if a target of 350 to win is not achievable against this Zim team,
then we will never be able to win a test series for sure.
So lets take this opportunity as a challenge and work hard with full concentration and commitment to bring a final outcome.
Good luck will not bring anything but concentration and commitment will bring some I hope.
Old January 16, 2005, 09:38 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Navarene

Very few. In fact its only 6 times that a team has chased 320 odd runs or more in the second innings in the history of test cricket:

* 418/7 West Indieas-Australia, St. Jones 2003/2004
* 406/4 India-West Indies, Port of Spain 1975/76
* 404/3 Australia-England, Leads 1948
* 369/6 Australia-Pakistan, Hobert 1999-2000
* 332/7 Australia-West Indies, Georgtown 1977/78
* 348/5 West Indies-New Zealand, Aukland 1986

Interesting to note that West Indies were involved on four occations either to chase or to defend in the forth innings.
>>> Can Bangladesh add her name as a winner to this list?
>>> I still believe we can!
Hmmm...rare enough that I am sure each instance was the result of a miraculous batting display from the likes of a Lara. Is your belief that we can do it based on anything more than a belief in miracles?

Reverse-swing's stats look different from yours because he includes instances where the chasing team exceeded 350 in the 4th innings but still lost the match or produced a draw. Yours only include instances where the chasing team won the match. Thanks to both of you.

Link in Cricinfo

Edited on, January 17, 2005, 2:42 AM GMT, by deshibhai.
Old January 16, 2005, 09:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by PoorFan

We still have chance, because if a target of 350 to win is not achievable against this Zim team,
then we will never be able to win a test series for sure.
A target of 350 is hard enough for any team against any team in any pitch in the world in the second innings. Failing to achieve it doesn't conclude anything.

blah
Old January 16, 2005, 09:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Quote:

Is your belief that we can do it based on anything more than a belief in miracles?
A belief is simply a belief. You can't judge it with rational mind but with some spontaneous emotional outburst. I know we are on a receiving end in this test...then again a die hard fan should never give up hope.
Old January 16, 2005, 09:52 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I have a weird feeling that BD will finish this match today.

My prediction:

Zim 220 Allout

BD 308/8

so we'll win this match today No need to play tomorrow.

Edited on, January 17, 2005, 2:53 AM GMT, by reverse_swing.