facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 19, 2006, 09:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Ashraful!!!!

Looks like our very talented Ashraful did it again. I am so pissed of and disgusted right now . There was no need to play that dumb/risky unnecessary shot only 4 overs before the stump. He didn't learn in 4 years and I doubt that will change in future. Ashraful needs to be dropped from the test squad....it's that simple. Not because he isn't scoring runs .....but the ways he is getting out in the worst possible time.... totally irresponsible. As long as we consider Ashraful a great test batsman for BD, our standard will remain very poor indeed. scoring a great 100 once in a blue moon may unfortunately keep him in the team, but it will not help BD team to move forward. The day we will be able to discard this kind of useless talent casually (cause we have other options), we will be strong enough to compete against the big boys. I will always be looking forward to that day.
Old April 19, 2006, 09:33 AM
ODI Cricketer

I agree, Ashra 'da' fool needs to go...
Old April 19, 2006, 09:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

actually he was looking quite good... didn't see how he got out though... very unfortunate.... it looked like he is set for a big score... but thats what always happen... he looks good and then he gets out
Old April 19, 2006, 09:47 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
actually he was looking quite good... didn't see how he got out though... very unfortunate.... it looked like he is set for a big score... but thats what always happen... he looks good and then he gets out
He does always look good for a little while and that's why I think he is still a good option for our ODI team. But he is an awful test player. Last night he tried to sweep (it was a half *** sweep attempt) and got bowled. When you have only 4 overs left you gotta play front foot and straight against the spinners. There was no need to try that sweep shot when there wasn't any playable shot to begin with. It happens to every player every now and then. But if you keep making the same mistake day after day for 4 years, a century once in a blue moon doesn't make up for it.
Old April 19, 2006, 06:26 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albanycrew
He does always look good for a little while and that's why I think he is still a good option for our ODI team. But he is an awful test player. Last night he tried to sweep (it was a half *** sweep attempt) and got bowled. When you have only 4 overs left you gotta play front foot and straight against the spinners. There was no need to try that sweep shot when there wasn't any playable shot to begin with. It happens to every player every now and then. But if you keep making the same mistake day after day for 4 years, a century once in a blue moon doesn't make up for it.
How many times the Aussie players played a sweep shot in this test series? Hardly 1 or 2. How many times our great players attempted sweep shots in the 2nd innings of the 2nd test. At least 50. Each and every player is playing sweep shot. Why? Why? Why? When do players play sweep? In ODI, when run becomes a scarcity then and only then players go for sweep shot. Man o man, I feel like crying.

About TheWatcher's comment about SN's sweep shot. SN should not play the sweep shots even if it's easy for him for being lefty. Period. For God's sake, we don't need run!!! We need to be alive in the wicket. It's God's biggest mercy that SN is still in the crease. How many times he was beaten yesterday?

Last edited by shimraj; April 19, 2006 at 06:33 PM..
Old April 19, 2006, 06:51 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimraj
How many times the Aussie players played a sweep shot in this test series? Hardly 1 or 2. How many times our great players attempted sweep shots in the 2nd innings of the 2nd test. At least 50. Each and every player is playing sweep shot. Why? Why? Why? When do players play sweep? In ODI, when run becomes a scarcity then and only then players go for sweep shot. Man o man, I feel like crying.
Aussie players do not play the sweep shot primarily because they are very confident/comfortable using their feet against spinners. The key tactic to disrupt a spin bowler is to force him to constantly change his length. If he can bowl the same lenght to you, that's when he can bring in to play subtle variations in pace, drift, flight and fox you - witness Rajin's dismissal as a case in point. Of our batsmen, only Bashar and Ash (occassionally SN) have demonstrated this ability. Ash was our best at it but somehow he's not doing it/doesn't feel confident about it any more. Also, Aussie batsmen have really long reach so they can get to the pitch of the delivery better than our batsmen (Gillespie being the extreme examle of how reach can neuter even a decent spinner such as Rafique). So minus confident footwork and reach, our batters are forced to resort to the sweet shot. We are hardly the only country with this issue though. English batters - even tall ones such as Flintoff - are guilty of the same.

Quote:
About TheWatcher's comment about SN's sweep shot. SN should not play the sweep shots even if it's easy for him for being lefty. Period. For God's sake, we don't need run!!! We need to be alive in the wicket. It's God's biggest mercy that SN is still in the crease. How many times he was beaten yesterday?
can't agree with you on that. SN has clearly demonstrated that against legspin or orthodox SLA, he has a very effective technique for sweeping. You have to back your best shots for your runs. If Cricinfo did a chart of "in-control" shots, you would find that 98%+ of his sweep shots SN was "in-control". Wish the same could be said of his slashes outside the off-stump tho
Old April 19, 2006, 07:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimraj
I dont know whether u watched the game or not but SN was dominating the aussie bowlers. Warne had to change his stragegy (coming round the wk) to counter him but he was sweeping him w/ ease. I think sweeping for SN is the best defence against warne and mcgill as he is lefty and he is playing w/ the spin not against.

Where as our little master Ash was trying to do that against the spin. He was actually not sweeping, if he had may be he cud have touched the ball but he was trying his cute one day shot. I was freaking mad when he did that. I think he needs to be dropped for few tests for sure.
Old April 19, 2006, 09:51 AM
First Class Cricketer

I can't resist to copy what I wrote earlier:

I want to reiterate my earlier comments on Ashraful - this kid has skills/talents, but no cricketing knowledge/temperament of any sort. Nobody slog sweeps in a test match when there are only 4 overs to go!
Before he got out, he repeatedly poked outside off stumps, and on one occassion played an identical shot where he was out in the first inning. Luckily this time it was between two slip fielders. There are other examples of his utter foolishness.
From cricketing sense, I believe he is one of the (if not 'the') dumbest front-line batsman test cricket has ever seen
Old April 19, 2006, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Ashraful is definitely lacking temperment... He is tries to play a shot every ball. I don't understand why does he have to play so many shots. I hope he can figure out his game sooner than later... until then we fans will suffer.
Old April 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

he has no cricket sense. he is an idiot, who does not know the value of his wicket.he keeps making same mistakes over and over again. and our selectors are still hoping that some day his day will come and he will do some thing extra ordinary. in this team we need some players who can score regularly not just a hundred and flop 7-8 matches.

we are only blaming JO. but this guy seriously needs some lessons to learn
Old April 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

"actually he was looking quite good" He was looking good because he was dropped.That's what I've been watching Ashraful since his test debut - he can't score to 20/30 if he's not dropped on 10/15, he can't score a fifty if he's not dropped twice on 10/15s and then on 20/30s, and then he can't score a test century if he's not dropped 3 times - once in 10/15s, second time on 20/30s so that he can go to his 50 and then third time when he's on 60/70s.And when he does not get dropped a single time, he can't score a century.THIS IS THE STORY OF ASHRAFUL'S LIFE. I just can't think why our selectors do not consider the dropped catches in case of Ashraful.I also can't see why our selectors make double standards. When it comes to Aftab, they're so easily saying that Aftab is a One Day player, but when players like Shahriar Nafees, Ashraful, even Javed Omar plays rash shots like a One Day match, they're not pressurized to play a test match like a test match. I guess if they had done that, then our team would have been full of Rajin Salehs and Khaled Mashuds - less talented, but actual performers.
Old April 19, 2006, 12:09 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwullah
"actually he was looking quite good" He was looking good because he was dropped.That's what I've been watching Ashraful since his test debut - he can't score to 20/30 if he's not dropped on 10/15, he can't score a fifty if he's not dropped twice on 10/15s and then on 20/30s, and then he can't score a test century if he's not dropped 3 times - once in 10/15s, second time on 20/30s so that he can go to his 50 and then third time when he's on 60/70s.And when he does not get dropped a single time, he can't score a century.THIS IS THE STORY OF ASHRAFUL'S LIFE. I just can't think why our selectors do not consider the dropped catches in case of Ashraful.I also can't see why our selectors make double standards. When it comes to Aftab, they're so easily saying that Aftab is a One Day player, but when players like Shahriar Nafees, Ashraful, even Javed Omar plays rash shots like a One Day match, they're not pressurized to play a test match like a test match. I guess if they had done that, then our team would have been full of Rajin Salehs and Khaled Mashuds - less talented, but actual performers.
I completely agree with fwullah's observation. The first thing that came to my mind was the Cardiff inning against the Aussies. I think you all noticed how risky most of his shots were, he could get out with any of those shots. And then the inning with ENG after that, he played 2 improvized shots towards fine leg in a row(I forgot who the bowler was), and get caught with the second one. It was an eye-sore to watch a front-line batsman playing like that.
I now believe Ponting's comment after these innings were right on target - that he cannot continue scoring with these kinds of shots..............
Old April 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
THIS IS THE STORY OF ASHRAFUL'S LIFE. I just can't think why our selectors do not consider the dropped catches in case of Ashraful.
Dropped catches or in otherwords getting lives are part of the game. Look at Mash's hand. You will see history falling through it. Now if you consider shot selection and when they are being taken thats another story. In the Cardiff game those shots were absolutely necessary for the team. In the second test series none of his fours were necessary for the team. We needed him to stay in the wicket and see out the day.

Quote:
I also can't see why our selectors make double standards.
Few simple answers.
1. No one in BD history has 4 centuries in Test and ODI combined. Our selectors can't even dream to have half as that many if they were playing in their prime.
2. Media hype. Youngest centurian in the world (test cricket). Cardiff, need I say more.
3. Promise of a talent at the time of selection becomes higher than what the reality offers.
4. No better option. Others in the team performing worse, others outside the team lacks everything (talent and tempartment).
Old April 19, 2006, 10:39 AM
Cricket Guru

ashraful plays one foolish shot in every 20-25 balls, if he doesn't get out he stays about another 20-25 balls before playing another rash shot if he is lucky that time he survives for another 20-25 balls and then plays another stupid shot and if it lands in no mans land then there are few balls for him to play another mistiming until he gets out. and this is how he plays.

he should be dropped down ther order to slog in the end of the innings
Old April 19, 2006, 10:42 AM
First Class Cricketer

i would like to see him dropped from both test and odi squad. he reminds me the math of that stupid monkey who climbs an oily bamboo one foot then slips back two foot. now how long it will take him to be a responsible and dependable player - never!
Old April 19, 2006, 10:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

I didn't see it but it looks like warne had more to with it than Ash

49.6 Warne to Ashraful, out Bowled!! bowled down the leg and spun back, Ashraful looks to play it fine but his timber is rattled round his legs, great delivery!! Ashraful completely foxed on that occasion
Old April 19, 2006, 10:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman

49.6 Warne to Ashraful, out Bowled!! bowled down the leg and spun back, Ashraful looks to play it fine but his timber is rattled round his legs, great delivery!! Ashraful completely foxed on that occasion
That was not a great ball but ashraful made it. he could have played it on front foot defensive shot instead he played some kind of a sweap (don't know the exact name of that shot) shot
Old April 19, 2006, 11:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
That was not a great ball but ashraful made it. he could have played it on front foot defensive shot instead he played some kind of a sweap (don't know the exact name of that shot) shot
It is really quite simple. Any ball pitching outside leg-stump , you just have to pad up as you cannot be given out lbw. There is no need to sweep such a ball as players are waiting to take a catch at backward square leg and deep square leg.

The boy lacks an organ called brain.

Ash-hole
Old April 19, 2006, 10:54 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:

haha....... I wish I had a clip for you.. so you could judge for yourself. That ball didn't really turn that much... plus he tried to direct the ball towards fine leg.. wasn't even a good sweep attempt.. totally missed the line. Trust me I have seen it live and there wasn't anything special. I guess the commentator just loves to glorify warne. Anyway, that's not the point.....the point is he shouldn't be playing a sweep shot at that time of the day unless absolutely sure about that delivery. Sweep shot always has high reward along with high risk. There was only 4 overs left.
Old April 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:

don't have any clip. but here is a picture

Click here>>
Old April 19, 2006, 10:44 AM
First Class Cricketer

I remember his interview when he got out cheaply against Kenya. What he said was that it was the fault of Kenyan bowler that he got out. His explanation was that the ball lacked pace and his "crazy" shot didn't fly over the boundary. Instead it became a catch! He added "had it been the Australians, it would have gone over the boundary as the ball would have been faster!"

If this is the way he thinks, then how can we afford to have him play for the team?
Old April 19, 2006, 10:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible
I remember his interview when he got out cheaply against Kenya. What he said was that it was the fault of Kenyan bowler that he got out. His explanation was that the ball lacked pace and his "crazy" shot didn't fly over the boundary. Instead it became a catch! He added "had it been the Australians, it would have gone over the boundary as the ball would have been faster!"

If this is the way he thinks, then how can we afford to have him play for the team?
Even my little brother wouldn't give an excuse like that... he needs to grow up
Old April 19, 2006, 10:54 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Ashraful will come back in bang in the test arena (because he has one year ahead to build his temperament). I have no doubt in that, he is a batsman with immense potential its the temperament which is lacking.

Now Ashraful need some good innings in ODI (match winning) to seal his place in the world cup squad. As we will be only playing ODI next one year it is very important for him to do good in ODI. Selectors have their faith on Ash in ODI squad and definitely he will perform there as his style of play really more suits ODI.
Old April 19, 2006, 11:01 AM
Cricket Legend

I guess its not the shot but the choice of shot.... SN played sweep all day long and did well.... I guess Ashraful just missed one sweep and it came back to haunt him...
Old April 19, 2006, 11:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
I guess its not the shot but the choice of shot.... SN played sweep all day long and did well.... I guess Ashraful just missed one sweep and it came back to haunt him...
Those who have watched the over live must have seen warne set him up for that. The two previous balls were outside the off stump spunning very little away from the Ash. Then the ball was just outside the leg spunning very slightly and he missed the sweep. The ball hit the stumps. I agree with all of you he shouldn't have played that shot. 4 overs left that was the important thing to consider rather than trying to get his runs. That's not a shot for the team. If anyone reads the match thread they would find how dejected fans were for him to try that shot at that crucial time.