facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 6, 2005, 02:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Default What are the alternatives to hartal?

The developing and poor nations like the sub-continental countries are as such plagued by poor productivity for lack of adequate infrastructure. Hartals only add to bringing down the already poor productivity and creating loss of income for quite a many poor people.

Asa personal view, i truly despise hartals. They often represent a lose-lose scenario.

I also see that quite a many bangla intelelctuals, as also the average man on the streets is not quite comfortable with the repeated hartals.

What are the alternatives? What can people do to protest what they genuinely see as a serious issue needing government attention and quick reolution? Writing letters, holding candle-light vigils - well, they don't as much as tickle those in power. Street-violence is a worst lose-lose equation.

Are there any other better ways of protesting?

What are the available options and viable alternatives to hartals?

Old February 6, 2005, 03:13 PM
Cricket Legend

More educated people. And subsequently more mature, educated politicians.
Old February 6, 2005, 04:26 PM
Club Cricketer

"Hartal" is a form of nonviolent movement. Mr. Gandhi and Dr. Martin L. King believed and preached this type of actions. But unfortunately, our today's politicians use this nonviolent movement with violence and inappropriately, damaging our economy and social structure. Many of Gandhi’s actions were similar, but for greater causes. Same could be said for Dr. King. As Arnab suggested people need to be educated and learn history. More importantly, we need to change our hostile mentality and learn to live with each other in a peaceful manner.

Old February 6, 2005, 05:15 PM
Cricket Legend

DJ let me revise your sig, which I believe is taken from the Hemanta song called "Olir Kotha Shune":

Akash Pare Oi Onek Dure... Jemon Kore Megh Jaye Go Ure... Jemon Kore She Hawai Bhashe .. Koi Tahar Mato Tumi Amar Shopne kobhu bhashonato

Afar in that corner of the sky
Like the cloud flies by,
Like it floats in the air,
How come you float in my dreams like that ne'er?
Old February 6, 2005, 06:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Thanks Arnab.
Old February 7, 2005, 01:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Unfortunately there is non for countries like BD.

But again, overused hartal is not a solution also.
Old February 7, 2005, 02:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Hartal is not a solution to anything. it only brings misery to common people. Also, how about those injured or killed during hartal many times by hartal supporters
Old February 8, 2005, 11:52 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Bangladesh opposition announces fresh strike:

[World News]: Dhaka, Feb 8 : The Awami League, Bangladesh's largest opposition party, Tuesday announced more protests against the government, including a two-day nationwide general strike.

The Awami League said the strike on Feb 14-15 will be to protest against political violence and the unabated price hike of essentials.

This would be the party's seventh countrywide general strike following the Jan 27 grenade attack at its rally in northeast Habiganj district, which killed former finance minister Shah A.M.S. Kibria and others.

At a press conference here, former prime minister and Awami League chief Sheikh Hasina demanded that the coalition government of Prime Minister Khaleda Zia resign immediately.

"Only a democratically elected government can bring the perpetrators of the repeated grenade attacks and killers to justice," Hasina said.

The ruling coalition government, led by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, that came to power for a five-year term in 2001, however, accused the Awami League of creating anarchy. It refused to step down before completion of its term.

Thousands of protesters, wearing black badges and carrying black flags, Feb 4 took to the city's streets against Kibria's killing. Joined by Kibria's widow and family, they formed a human chain of several kilometres and demanded that the Awami League leader's murderers be arrested and punished.

>> Indo-Asian News Service
Old February 8, 2005, 11:53 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

this time a double hundred from Hasina.
Old February 8, 2005, 01:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Triple Century Chaieee Chai

We need world record
Old February 8, 2005, 02:12 PM
Cricket Legend

zillions of lines have been written on this subject, and no solutions in sight yet. if you had the time you can spend hours scanning every message board where people of bd origin congregate and see countless posts with long theories, statements, accusations, etc. None of them result in any action, kind of like those Monty Python movies - was it Life of Brian - where they would set up committees to explore options on what actions would eventually be appropriate but were never able to take any action.

bangladesh operates as an primitive feudal aristocracy. to change these nonsensical approaches like hartal, you need a lot of things eg newer leadership. that's obvious. But as Banglalis we know everything, and so hasina, khaleda - they know everything there is to know, who are we to tell them otherwise?
Old February 8, 2005, 07:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by al
Hartal is not a solution to anything. it only brings misery to common people. Also, how about those injured or killed during hartal many times by hartal supporters
u r spot on.
Old February 9, 2005, 12:06 AM
Street Cricketer

those who are speaking up against hartals these days don't mind the extra-judicial RAB killings of captives in 'crossfire'. 'Double-standard', won't you say?
Old February 9, 2005, 02:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Amader Hortal Bhalo Lagbe Naa

Amader RAB 'crossfire' e bhalo lagbena kintu dorkar lage
Old February 9, 2005, 02:34 AM
Test Cricketer

RAB rules. Danda rules. I heard it from my teacher praising his cane " Cane is the best teacher!" Srotheo gorojon zai bollen tai ami mene choli. He has a cane you know after all. hahah!
Old February 9, 2005, 02:48 AM
Test Cricketer

DJ Make me Prime Minister of Bangladesh and I will show you the alternative?
Old February 9, 2005, 03:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

Hartal should be banned constitutionally.
Student politics should be banned too.

But we need alternatives first.:cool2::cool2:
Old February 9, 2005, 07:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Ban hortal first. There is no excuse to allow poltical parties to act like Mafias. If vegetable sales persons start blocking the transportation in Dhaka in demand to fair price of a carrot that would be extortion by law. I am pretty sure vegetable salesperson will be eating jail bread for long time. Political parties should face the consequence.

Alternative will come out once by law hortal is banned and the law is enforced.
Old February 9, 2005, 10:19 AM
Cricket Sage

Yea! All beeerry beeeryy good ideas.

1) "Ban Hartal" -- Too much destruction. Why opponent should complain, they are the looser in the election, they should just keep their mouth shut and let the winner do whatever thay want...
2) "Ban Student Politics" -- These are baaad badd.
3) "Ban all the politics, only one country one party." -- No more Khabla Khabli for power.
4) "Ban Freedom of speach" -- too many opinion creates so much confusion.
5) "Cut Allah Jibba of all the Citizens." -- Dhaka is already noisy and we always do unproductive 'pach-al' instead of working. Citizen's will be more productive.
6) "Desolve Police, BDR, Judiciary system" - RAB will do it all.
7) "Assign and Seal (like they used to do for cattle - chika-pura) each citizen with unique number. Preferebly in the rear area" -- E-dik o-dik korosoo, jabee koi
8) "Ban Union" -- they are the other trouble spot. Business and Establisment should rule...
9) "Assign someone as king of Bangladesh", He/She and His/her poribar porizon will run the country for generations.
10) "Get rid of all the newspaper" - why do we need them?

Oh no Jabbar Bhai ailoo......

No No .... I am Fazal just doing Fazlami ... :P

Edited on, February 9, 2005, 3:26 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old February 9, 2005, 11:13 AM
Cricket Legend

"Assign someone as king of Bangladesh", He/She and His/her poribar porizon will run the country for generations.

Why do i suddenly feel that i have a chance :P

Ami Bangladeshe Maharaja Hobe. Amar Poribar Raj Korbe

Now, i just need to get a poribar. Is Albina still single?
Old February 9, 2005, 12:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

latest post from fazal is very interesting. I support item 1 and 2 only.
Rest of the items sounds familiar. I think, those were tried before after liberation. Ummm one party, one family, one rule, no opposition. sounds scary to me
Old February 9, 2005, 02:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by al

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazall
7) "Assign and Seal (like they used to do for cattle - chika-pura) each citizen with unique number. Preferebly in the rear area" -- E-dik o-dik korosoo, jabee koi
latest post from fazal is very interesting. I support item 1 and 2 only.
Rest of the items sounds familiar. I think, those were tried before after liberation. Ummm one party, one family, one rule, no opposition. sounds scary to me
Hmmmm... wondering when did they tried #7 ? I just checked my rear area right now. No mark of Seal or chika-pura. How-come they missed me?

Edited on, February 9, 2005, 7:49 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old February 9, 2005, 03:38 PM
ODI Cricketer

Posted by Fazal: Hmmmm... wondering when did they tried #7 ? I just checked my rear area right now. No mark of Seal or chika-pura. How-come they missed me?

Ok I missed